Veeky Forums how bad is sucralose/splenda for you really?

Veeky Forums how bad is sucralose/splenda for you really?

Other urls found in this thread:

ajpgi.physiology.org/content/296/4/G735.short
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230009000786
academic.oup.com/annonc/article/15/10/1460/170200/Artificial-sweeteners-do-they-bear-a-carcinogenic
scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=sucralose health effects&hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&as_vis=1
youtube.com/watch?v=oOv_S0nRejo
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump, i need answers

Do some basic research and find for yourself

ajpgi.physiology.org/content/296/4/G735.short
>We conclude that sucralose, delivered by intragastric infusion, does not stimulate insulin, GLP-1, or GIP release or slow gastric emptying in healthy humans.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230009000786
>The collective evidence supports the conclusion that the ingredient, sucralose, is safe for use in food and that the sucralose-mixture product, Granulated SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, is also safe for its intended use.

>As many artificial sweeteners are combined in today's products, the carcinogenic risk of a single substance is difficult to assess. However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible.
academic.oup.com/annonc/article/15/10/1460/170200/Artificial-sweeteners-do-they-bear-a-carcinogenic

Google scholar is your friend
scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=sucralose health effects&hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&as_vis=1

Thanks for doing that for me, I'm always running around this board stomping out these debates.

>I need answers
>I'll post a general question on a biased and shitty imageboard for conjecture and anecdote

topkek

Both are fine, particularly when compared against sugars

>literally posting a study funded by Splenda

really niggled my noggin there

np, I'm a Food Science major at a top university and I get so frustrated when people ask "is x bad for me", like everything in our food is safe for ingestion for the most part, the FDA is strict as hell and it takes years and years to add one little thing that isn't already approved and that has gone through extensive testing.

Really the most dangerous thing in our food is sugar, which isn't dangerous in and of itself but too much of it can have harmful effects, indirectly. But I suppose anything in excess can be harmful.

Are you retarded?

Did you even open the link? Look at all the fucking references. They just refer to it by it's common market name.

>believing that because a company funds a study means they can alter the results however they wish

>>believing that because a company funds a study means they can alter the results however they wish
Not him but the reason you should immediately discredit any company funded study is because they're only ever going to promote studies which they think will have a beneficial result for their image

These studies are predestined to favour false negatives or at least leave out useful analytical datas

Doesn't mean the information is wrong.
And it's not even worth discussing because it has nothing to do with what I linked

Anyone (You) can cherry pick studies

>Doesn't mean the information is wrong.
No, just that you're retarded for reading or sharing it because people might actually derive conclusion from it

Same I hate it when people say
>sips aren't good for you, your heart bla bla bla
Thanks science guy

Cherry pick me some studies that say it's harmful.

Go on, anyone can do it.

I don't need to cheery pick because that's what the majority say, shill

Show me some.

Any.

First of all, I didn't share a sponsored study, so calm down.
Secondly, if people derive a conclusion from a completely legitimate study, how is that bad?

I get that you're in your edgy teen phase where all corporations are bad and are trying to poison us, but sometimes corporations have enough money to fund studies that would otherwise not be done to PROVE that their products are as safe as they claim.

Stevia is best sugar replacement

Stevia is by far the worst

It tastes awful and is impossible to measure correctly.

Sucralose > Aspartame > Saccharan > Power Gap > Stevia

>implying the FDA has the well being of the general public in mind

kys shillbot

remember: shiny side out to block the government, shiny side in to block the aliens

This isn't a conspiracy theory.
One look at day time television and all of the horrid drugs with sideffects and life ending complications that are WORSE then the things they cure will tell you that the FDA is useless at best and deeply corrupt at worst.

It doesn't take tinfoil to realize this stuff

Thanks for proving my point, shill

What about erythritol?

The real issue isn't that it'll kill you like rat poison
is right on the basics there.

Where I choose to disagree on artificial sweeteners is a matter of neurochemistry. We know that the vagus nerve ennervates the gut, and we are starting to learn the almost obscene amount that the endocanniboids have to deal with satiation. My argument is that artificial sweeteners provide a different stimulus than the normal sweet/satiation response. For smaller amounts, I expect the result would be negligible, but when you have some asshole that swills a dozen diet sodas each day for years that's bound to have an effect - if it can affect previous baseline neurotransmitter levels. It's a big if, and it relies heavily on things that aren't established yet.

Like most things, once you get past the clickbait headline, the answer is the same. In moderation, it's not the single thing that kills you. Bacon won't kill you tomorrow, nor will splenda, nor will alcohol. Done to excess for long enough, anything will affect the body's biochemistry. The question is always going to be what any given thing will eventually affect, and that's a large tangled web

>Forgeting the tip
Enjoy your nuclear lettuce and neurotoxin tomatoes fag

Wait why is stevia the worst??
Taste is for cucks, it's the only plant natural goodness one?

I remember reading only good stuff about 2 years ago when it got real big in my area.
Only ever put 1 in my 'black' coffee to sweeten the brunt.

Cocaine is natural, from plants.

They're all equally safe, stevia has the worst taste.

The stuff itself is pretty negligible. The sweet drinks at every fucking meal is a bad habit, because you associate sweet with meal time and makes it all the easier to just order something with actual sugar to satisfy a sweets cravings.

Med student here
it's okay, but dont use it too often. mixing it with actual sugar (on occasion) is fine.
The biggest reason Diet Cola does not help reduce weight is because of this sweetener, it tricks your brain. Your receptors in your sweet gustation nerves make your brain think it is sugar, but it isn't and it doesn't convert to sugar in any meaningful way, so your brain then tells you, you are still a little hungry. Using my personal input; this is fine for gains since you want to eat more, but i could be wrong

The science says that they're safe so far. They're not gonna give you cancer if that's what you're asking. New research into how gut bacteria respond to artificial sweeteners is sort of the new frontier. The verdict isn't out yet there.

>artificial sweeteners
Enjoy staying FAT.
>not changing your eating habits away from sugary things
>tricking your body into think it's getting calories, making you ravenously hungry instead
>eating chemical shit that nobody really knows will do to you in the long run (i.e. enjoy your CANCER when you're 40)
>being this retarded
Stop being dumb

>Saying shit that's just objectively not true

How did you get to this point in your life? You just go online and say whatever you want and pass it off as fact because you feel like it regardless of whether it's true or not? My god

Someone on here the other day was claiming Jane Goodall wasn't actually doing any studies, she was crossdressing and walking around town asking people what they thought of her.

He also said something along the lines of "all science is made up" so it honestly doesn't surprise me.

I feel like you're either lying or VERY early in your med school.

I accidentally put (fine) i meant recommended.
and no i'm in my final year

the best sweetener is Erythritol
It doesn't cause any GI issues unless you eat an inhuman amount, it causes no insulin response, and is actually an antioxidant, so indead of causing cancer it prevents it
youtube.com/watch?v=oOv_S0nRejo

Did you learn anything about how gut bacteria might react to artificial sweeteners and how this might effect the brain?

So drinking a Diet Coke with some carbs is better than just having it on its own because your body reacts appropriately for the carb intake? Interesting, and such a simple concept.

Too bad he's talking out of his ass with no sources

>Mun sources
>Also talking out of my ass

This is /fit not your biology 101 class. Or physician doesn't give you sources when he prescribes you an antibiotic. He went to med school for years so that you can have the comfort of shutting the fuck up and lettinf him worry about diagnosis and treatments. Just because there's no sources doesn't mean it's not what he learned in med school. Here's an idea, maybe if you're skeptical of something, do something about it instead of ASSUMING that you must be right.

You made a claim that is contrary to the existing medical literature.

Burden of proof is yours, buddy. I want to see some studies, that's all.

I didn't make any claims personally, but I'd wager that neither of know's shit about the current medical literature. It's hard to search for something so specific when you have no background in it. I'm an epidemiologist and I'd be really uncomfortable trying to read literature about very specific biochemical pathways and physiological responses. I was just taking interest in something a supposed med student said. You're calling people out for talking out of their ass. I think you should be an expert if you're gonna do that. That's different from being skeptical, that's makin a counter claim. So you're kind of bein hipocritical.

Making unsubstantiated claims is not okay just because he's "in med school".

In med school, I'm sure they do a fair amount of paper writing. He should be fairly familiar with citations.

Everything else claiming they're harmless has been cited, you'd do well to question things that you're supposed to take at face value.

Citations are the way of /pol/. That is why SJW routinely come in, and get blow the fuck right back out.

The majority agrees with him though

Yeah well his is /fit. Some people aren't actually spending hours of their day here posting citations for first year university students to pretend to understand and scrutinize. I'm probably one of the few people here actually engaging in nutritional research, I'd never take any advice seriously from here, I'm just expressing interest in the topic and was hoping that the guy would respond and provide some more detail. I can do that without telling people aggressively this they're talking out of their ass. I don't need to swing my dick around to remind myself to take these claims with a grain of salt.

Its not proven but stevia is noted to kill off some gut bacteria

So every other board is cool with broscience?

What are you even talking about, if he's making claims he needs to back them up. Until he does, I (nor you) have no reason to believe anything he says.

You should know that information without a citation is worthless. Hey guys, guess what I just figured out that snow grows up from the ground on really cold days! How do I know that? Because I'm a 4th year biology student of course.