How do you bench without a spotter and Power rack without killing yourself?

How do you bench without a spotter and Power rack without killing yourself?

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/bench-press/safety/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Know your limit and practice the roll of shame.

Also don't suicide grip.

If you feel like another rep is too much of a risk don't risk it, and if worse comes to worse slowly let the bar down onto yourself and roll it off you (this only works for so long until you get way to high in weight)

What I did when I benched alone in my basement was not clip and just be peppered to dump the weight.

Don't overdo it

low weight high reps
make it so its just light enough to where even when your juiced out you can still lift or it wont crush your chest when you roll it off of you

I plan on doing Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength as described in the Sticky, which calls for 3x5. What do I do then?

Know your limits
Never go super heavy
Always leave at least 2 reps in the tank.
The last one, if you are actually pushing real weight, is fucking crucial.

Tomorrow will be my first time back to the gym, in the past I just used machines until I injured myself. I plan on working out properly this time, never benched before though.

I should add that the gym I am going to is also empty, it is a workout room in a volunteer firehall. What if something goes wrong?

don't use clips

You'll be fine if the weight is low, start with the bar and get a good feel for the movement. Slowly start putting on the weight and rep out 5.

Once you start hitting a weight you think is good for 5 reps stop there and slowly move up weight every week.

If you do end up failing, roll it off yourself, it bruises you up a bit and is embarrassing but it's better than dying/getting someone in the gym to come save your ass.

Is there a real danger of it landing on my neck?

Not if your grip it proper, make sure your thumbs are going around the bar, none of that outside the bar bullshit. Before you lift the weight off the rack tighten up your grip and body and slowly bring it to your center.

I still to this day do not know why benches don't have safety bars

I dropped the bar and had to roll out for the first time the other day. I felt so fucking ashamed but I knew I was pushing myself too hard. Thank god no one else was there.

Just know your limit. Progress might be a little slower but it's better than looking like a chump, or injuring yourself under real weight.

the bar should not be anywhere near your neck,i t should be just slightly below your nipples
I bench without a spotter all the time just know when you have one in the tank or not

I guess that is what powerracks are for

I avoid such activities because the urge to kill myself is too great, and if I did then I couldn't shitpost or visit Veeky Forums.

Do it heavy enough that on 5 you still have enough left in you to control it back to the rack but are still approaching fatigue.

Even if it's onepl8 or less for your first few workouts.

Hope a volunteer firehaller finds you before you die?

You may fuck your ribs up, but unless you drop serious weight on your heart from full extended position, you're probably not gonna kill yourself.

stronglifts.com/bench-press/safety/
Found this article denouncing benching without a spotter. Seems pretty thought out.I have an idea though. Could I position the bench under the squat rack and use that like a power rack?

Christ. Buy a squat rack with spotters. Theyre cheap and small. You can bench with them easy, just dont buy a pair of stands.

Alternatively, buy some boxes/used furniture.

You could also floor press, you can probably wriggle out if you dump a rep.

The Squat rack looks like this

Don't fail pussy

Go to a local bar and talk loudly about how you have instructed certain files to be release to the public on the event of your death.

You... can ...bench with this.

Veeky Forums would laugh at you.
You kinda deserve it.
But it's safer and you'll lift heavier the more confident in your safety you are.
Which is a net positive.

if you're this much of a pussy just work in a higher rep range, if you're benching weight you can do for many reps then you can easily just do the roll of shame

Would this be much different from using a Power Rack?

I am gonna go hard, don't want to take any chances.

I've been saved once, wasn't really that embarrassing to be honest, the dude was pretty cool and was benching similar weight next to me.

Smith racks are still machines. So you're not going to get the same stabilizers as you would with a free barbell.
>Always bench off a Smith machine.
>Try to bench the same weight with free weights.
>Barbell swaying like mad
>Hurt yourself
Not good bro.

So I would be better off just using a bench even though I have no safety?

I won't have anyone around to save me

I need a solution to this, bench is essential

Start s-l-o-w-l-y and light.
Don't jump up 50 lbs per set if you're a beginner.
Don't push it, keep some in the safety tank.

>or ask somebody who freaking *works* at the gym just to watch you.... you are paying, right ?

>Get some chairs
>put them either side of you
>Dump failed reps on chairs
>????
>Profit

I am working out at my firehall, nobody is ever there

What if the chairs crash under the immense weight?

Help me

why don't you just do dumbell presses if a lack of a spotter with barbell bench is that much of an issue

That is an option I never thought of, thanks man

Dumbbell press my dude

Don't put clips on the bar so you can slide it off if you need to.

I've never benched on a bench that didn't have safety guards.
Is this only a school gym thing? I've only benched in high school and at my uni gym.

kek if you are worrying about benching without a spotter I doubt anything you will be lifting is enough to break chairs.

A power rack has guards. Are you brand new

no power rack at the gym I am going to tomorrow, and I only used machines up until I stopped working out. I am starting up tomorrow after a few years, this time doing proper workouts.

Probably, I guess it depends

you can't really, if you pass out without a rack or spotter you will die.

if you don't pass out, just don't use clips and you can dump the plates.

the other option is the "roll of shame" which will bruise your bones if you lift decent weight.

Leave the clips off the end of the barbell and just tilt it to the side and let the weights slide off when you fail.

I lift alone and this works fine for me. The other day I failed [spoiler]205 lbs bench[/spoiler] and handled it fine.

I just bench with dumbells because I'm too autistic to ask for a spot.

Not gonna do the roll of shame, and I don't wanna damage the floor letting the weights drop. Benching with dumbbells looks like my path, although it always looked autistic to me

Are you me?

pick a weight you know you can control, and don't go balls-out on every set like a retard

Pride I guess

Just lift weight you know you can handle, don't do 1rm's, simple. Make sure you're pushing hard and using leg drive, but don't go for the reps you know you're going to fail.

im doing one-arm dumbell presses at home and its pretty safe.

Ask someone nearby to spot you when the weights start getting high

This is solid advice

Don't go for the "just one more" and you should be fine. If the last rep was a genuine struggle you gotta leave it there.

don't be an autist and if you plan on working close to failure ask someone for a spot, failing that just don't work close to failure.

>peppered

Jefferson squats buddy

spotters are nigh useless

if you suddenly unexpectedly dump the weight because of muscle failure or your thumb gives or whatever crazy reasons might cause failure, they arent going to be able to catch it in time, or catch it in general (they're actually in a shit position to do anything but hold and and get tipped over onto you

the only time they're useful is if you're struggling to complete a final rep and need them to help rerack, which while convenient, isnt a life threatening situation, just gently lower it and roll it off.

i suppose if you did have a catastrophic failure, they're useful to picking the weight up off your broken neck or collapsed sternum

i wont bench 2 plates or more without bars (and prefer to just use them always), good squat racks will have enough adjustment to where you can get the safeties below your mildly arched chest, but if you drop it back onto the bench, the safeties lie above your chest. hopefully turning your likely death or broken chest into mere bruising

angrily jump on a chair

unless you're a manlet, you weigh more than OP is gonna be dumping onto that chair in the event of a failure

chairs are designed for fatass humans and most dont give out unless subject to years of abuse

two methods
1. roll of shame
2. tip the bar so the plates come off (do not use clips)

both are embarrassing but at least 2 doesn't hurt like hell

This.
Dump the weight on one side, the bar will fly off to the other side.

do 3x10 instead of 3x5 so the weight will be light enough that you can just roll the barbell off should you fail

you should always have 3 reps in your tank. take a beginner routine with more volume. starting strength is retarded

Literally me

If you lift so light that you never fail, then you're the pussy.

I got stuck under the bar when I first started lifting so I did exclusively db press for like a year. My chest got big and looks really good but now that I'm going back to bench I'm realizing how weak I am.

definitely need to keep a good balance of both presses.

Have any of you ever benched? I have failed the alst rep many times with as much as 100kg on decline and normal bench and there is no way you can manage to hurt yourself when you fail the last rep if you can do 5reps or more with that weight unless you bench 3 plates or more. Just liwer it slowly on your chest and roll it off.