SS

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020
scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=hypertrophy or strength training studies&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGv8y51ezSAhXEupQKHcBUAbUQgQMIFzAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Powercleans are too advanced moves for newbs.

No they aren't you fucking idiots.
Read the ducking book and watch a few vids online and you're fine. You start light and work your way up to heavy so you know what you're doing. Ever tried learning? I figured it out in like 10 minutes so I'm sure you can too.

It's a great routine. Best I've done, and I've tried plenty.

It's important to note that the real Starting Strength has you do deadlift both days instead of power cleans until your deadlift gets too heavy. Then you incorporate power cleans because you cannot recover from deadlifting heavy in just one day rest.

I like 5x5 better

Power cleans are good but shitty to do without bumper plates.

+Chin-up and hyperexension.
That is in the book.

Cleans are really hard to learn without help of an weightlifting coach. It took me atleast 3 months with 2 lessons a week to get a cleanform which used explosiveness and legs instead of my back and arms.

I've never seen anyone do a decent power clean in normie gyms, they always look like shit. Power cleans are way too advanced for a beginners routine.

Pendlay rows would be a better option.

Maybe you're just an autistic idiot?
Please don't lie to me. Tell
Me how much you PC. I honestly want to see if all that hassle was worth it for you. Please don't lie.

Meh, my progress is about average for the time that I've been weightlifting. I clean and jerk 80kg at 75kg bodyweight and I can snatch maybe 60kg for a single. Still working on some form issue's because I can hang snatch 57.5kg for 4.

My PC would be around 75KG so bodyweight.

I don't know what to say dude.
I can fucking OHP your clean and jerk.
I do 5x3 PC with 175lbs and like I said all I did was watch a few videos. BW=181lbs.
I stand by what I said before. The average person should read SS and start light and they'll be fine.

The picture OP posted is SS Phase 2 that lasts only few weeks to very few months. The bulk of SS would be done on Phase 3 anyway.

Can somebody post form checks for PC ?

The fact that you OHP more than I CJ doesn't mean ape shit, so why bring that up? A strong man who can press more than the average weightlifting CJ's doesn't make him more knowledgable about weightlifting.

Let's throw away the chance that you're just e-statting. Power cleaning less for a triple than your single ohp is out of balance. Also our bw to 3 rep PC ratio is about the same.

You might be an exception to the rule but most people don't even read the SS book and a good PC form is too hard to learn from a couple of video's (and maybe the book) when you're new to strength training. Most people can't even squat decently.

I brought it up cause you're weak.
I know it's out of balance. My upper body lifts are way ahead of pace. My 5rm for bench is 270 and that's a real 5rm yet my 5rm D/L is 340. Trust me I'm working on it.
Finally when I PC it's with minimal dip to catch the bar. You probably know that but idk if I can trust you.

Just fucking do Ice Cream Fitness instead, yes its from that mentally challenged blaha but its legit the best beginner routine there is. It has the same exercises of SS except Cleans (and lets be real its a modified copy of SS) but more isolation exercises to actually look good instead of becoming a fridge with the same strenght gains

You can trust me babe.

Not gay senpai
Either way I still think if you're a beginner and you start with literally just the bar you can easily figure the movement out well before you get anywhere actual weight.

tough to recover from tho.
5x5 lifts will stall much sooner than later.

I'd agree, but ICF using 5x5 is completely moronic. Way too much volume. Not only recovery-wise, but the sheer mass of working sets leaves you in the gym for fucking hours.

Add more bench.

You can have too much bench

Should I just nut up and start doing power cleans instead of the rows. Power cleans look kind of fun.

More volume on bench day (E.g. 5x5 bench) or more frequent benching (benching on OHP dass)?

if you dont do PCs or do other stuff instead of it ,you're simply not doing starting strength.

Just do 3x5 like in the cut version

Why the fuck so you people do this. You take a routine and change it because you somehow know better? Please just fucking follow the routine.

Not an answer to my question.

That's not SS. That's a very short and ibcomplete synthesis of a 400+ pages book. Read the book, the informations you'll find there are priceless

SS is fine. Any of the programs like it are okay too.
Some people need to start with less weight then he suggests though.

I have the SS app and it says that you do OHP with deadlift and bench with power clean is the app wrong or is OPs image wrong?

Both, just read the book

I do just these exercises but 13 reps each
5 reps is for strength 12 is for mass

Pendlay Rows are a deprecated exercise that hasn't been seen since the 90s, aside from SL5x5 inserting it into the program "because big strong men did it many aeons ago"

It requires perfect flexibility on your hamstrings and hips to mantain the 90° angle, it's absurdly easy to break form, and it doesn't even have any avantages compared to doing normal rows with more weight.

There is a reason why we have so many stories of people doing Pendlay's and being stoppedby concerned PTs who think they're just doing horribly wrong rows.
They're a forgotten exercise everyone has moved away from for very good reasons

>because big strong men did it many aeons ago"
That's not ture. They're the weird kind of rows you'd see bbers trying for hypertrophy do in the 80s in places like LA. They're named after Pendlay because he was the first major name to describe them, while taking the piss out of them. Nothing to do with ol timey strongmen.

You realize it doesn't change in any way the fact that putting them in a beginner program is fucking retarded, right?

Swap the benchpress and the ohp and replace power cleans with push press
Also at the end of each day A three sets of heavy cheat curls
At the end of each day B do 3 sets of full range of motion 21 curls

Yates rows are the best way to do rows

Inb4 mub bicep tendon
You aren't moving enough weight to rupture it - no natty here is

Shouldn't that be 17 reps total to get strength and mass? Sorry if dumb q

you really desperate for (you)
here you go

do bench press every day

you are retarded

Needs dips and pullups. The back is pretty underdone in these usually.

I had to cut one session of squats out of my ss. My faggot quads can't hang. I cut out middle session of squats. Maybe once I finish cutting and start eating I can put it back in?

Replace cleans with 3x5 rows for a better newb and functional strength routine. You'll use the Row motion far more in the real world than the clean one.

Anyone else do 3x10?

Have you read the ducking book? God emperor Rippletits himself says newbs should do deads for both workouts until they know what their doing before thinking about incorporating cleans.

Rate my SS routine:

A
Benchpress 10x2 (25 kg), 10x2 (45 kg), 3x6 (85 kg)
Squats 10x2 (25 kg), 10x2 (45 kg), 3x6 (55 kg)
Deadlift
10x2 (25 kg), 10x2 (45 kg), 3x6 (85 kg)

B
Same as above, except instead of benchpress I do normal standing press (military press?) 2x10 (25 kg), 3x6 (35kg)

The first 1-2 sets are warm ups. I've also added some other smaller exercises to work out my arms (barbell shrug, barbell curl, reverse barbell curl, wrist curls, etc.)

The work out takes something like 60-90 minutes to finish. I make these every other day.

I do my work outs at home and I have just the basic bench, not a rack for squats for example, and my weights are limited to 85 kg.

How is this SS in anyway you mong

tl;dr on phases?

that info is from athlean x so it s probably not retarded

I like SS

The routine will give you shitty shoulder girdle/upper body balance.

If you're doing two presses, you should be doing 2 pulls (not just static pulls). eg. Rows and pullups. The program only prescribes pullups, not rows. Poor balance. Shit program made by an arrogant fat retard.

Better than SL.
Add pull ups or rows. (Pull ups are better, but if ur a giant fatty, and find the assist to be embarrassing.

Care to elaborate you less than helpful individual? I understand the important parts are the big movements and that you have to do some warm up before doing the real thing.

Did this sort of routine couple of years ago and it did help me out with losing weight, getting stronger and fit, so I guess I'm at least doing something right.

I have no idea how to lower myself when deadlifting so I dont do those

you might be doing power cleans but they probably look like fucking shit and you could lift more if you had proper form its pretty hard to learn how to do it good

Fucking finally someone else realises this. Deadlifts and cleans do not work enough upper back to balance out all of the pressing.

form is more important than then how much you lfit when you start if you do olympic lifting and planning to actually compete

Keep knees locked, hinge at hips, lower slowly for eccentric gains

how to wear a fucking belt for deadlifts?

when I wear a belt as I am lowering myself down the belt pushes against my hips and it hurts very bad

>read a book
>watch a video
>go flail your spine around with weight
>be confused why you're hurt
>b-but guiz I watched a sweet video on bb.com

low volume

might be good for strength but not gaining much muscle mass, include plenty of isolation exercises

You wear it much higher than you do for squats.

Yes, you'll look stupid

post pic

Whats is so hard to understand? what you are doing is not SS in anyway it is just a retarded little program you thought out yourself

I added Pendlay rows to workout A and pull-ups to workout B when I did SS. Worked well for me for several months.

SS is overrated and Veeky Forums should be default recommend PPL, not SS.

Most people here want to get aesthetic, not strong.

deadlifts aren't even GOAT for back aesthetics... although they are for other reasons

anything above 3 reps is not for strength imo

I learned how to power clean from this video

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020

there is nothing hard about the movement. Once you realize that the jump moves the weight up and not your hands, then there is nothing more to learn, just make sure your back doesn't round and stays straight throughout the movement and you will have no problem.

for me it's a fun break from deadlifts, plus it's nice to see yourself progress in power.

you don't have to read the book, just watch the video, the book is a plus however.

>workout B is press instead of bench press
Boy was I doing SS wrong.

It's been said time and time again, form follows function. If you get strong, you will get big. If you outright do PPL you're gonna spend a lot of time looking like a DYEL lifting DYEL weight. What good is lookin strong if you're not actually strong?

Well you're wrong.

>If you get strong, you will get big
False
> If you outright do PPL you're gonna spend a lot of time looking like a DYEL
False
>lifting DYEL weight.
Well done! You got 1 out of 3 right.

You still failed though so how about you actually go read every single study ever that proves hypertrophy builds mass and strength training cant compete, idiot.

Then post one, because the opposite is actually true and has been shown so. Strength training routines include hypertrophy. Why do you assume you have to do nothing but compounds in strength training?

I get that you're a DYEL but stop giving advice

>If you get strong, you will get big
Except that isnt how your body works

SS programs work on you training your CNS in handling higher loads by firing more nerves and triggering more muscle fibers. Yes SS training also builds mass, lifting anything enough does, but programs that actually focus on breaking muscles down like PPL or splits at higher volume do it better than strength training ever will

See every single BB ever in comparison to every single heavy lifter ever.

Are you implying that bodybuilders don't lift heavy?

You realize that every, and I mean every, competing bodybuilder does roids, right?

>spoonfeed me, I refuse to learn!
Fuck off

scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=hypertrophy or strength training studies&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGv8y51ezSAhXEupQKHcBUAbUQgQMIFzAA

>lol u dum, dats retarded

I'm still doing the core exercises. Are you suggesting I should do only those and skip the rest or is this just because you're autistic af?

You could, you know, be more specific with your feedback, but I guess that's too big of a suggestion for you to understand.

No, and if you think im implying that then you're retarded and/or dont understand that SS programs and hypertrophy progams dont require the same level of weight variation between sessions as each other.

Everyone who lifts gains mass. Everyone who lifts gains strength. Everyone who lifts will have to increase weight over time. But everyone who focus on hypertrophy will gain more mass than strength, and everyone who focuses on strength will gain more strength than mass.

How does it feel to both be my bitch and to be wrong together. Those sources don't support you at all.

Literally irrelevant, drugged or not you cant change how the body works. Hypertrophy has been proven even down to the sets x reps x time to work best at 3x12x45 while strength has been proven to be best at higher weight lower rep ranges like SS.

See
You used the most juiced out sample of lifters to justify hypertrophy for size. Congrats, retard

>Is so stupid he doesnt even spend 5 minutes reading the sources proving him wrong
You can post your falsities all day long if you want but iv already proven you have no idea what you're talking about.

No more replies for you shitposter.

You are stupid in assuming the body is that specific

Still not SS
Post the whole program then

See How about you actually go read the science on this you fucktarded nugget

>mad that I got him to spoon feed me and he is the one who got mad in the process

You must be a beta in real life. This is fantastic

no one says you need to do SS for ever, just for 6 months to learn the compound movements. Then do what ever the fuck you want to do. But jumping into PPL without knowing anything about the most important exercises is like doing your first swimming lesson in deep waters. It makes 0 sense. You are going to spend the next 20 years lifting, then make sure to start from the basics first. Or wait, you don't lift for girls right? I mean, you aren't planning to stop lifting after 6 months?

>his 5x3 PC isn't even bw
>condescends to people on an Azerbaijani halva baking message forum
I'm gonna say your form might be even worse than your knowledge about lifting

Its practical programming for strength training if you eat right while you do it and you're a beginner. Besides that I mean, why would you do it? It's called Starting Strength for a reason.

>muscle building drugs have no impact in building muscle

Having this many chromosomes should be illegal

Go learn who DeLorme is you complete moron.

This. Also flat barbell bench is a shitty chest exercise/exercise in general and has almost no "functional" carryover.

Keep shitposting autismo, I've already won

>you can ONLY learn compounds by doing SS!
Im sorry user, this level of fucking stupid is beyond even Veeky Forums. You're saying you cant learn to write with a pencil, you have to use a pen. Thats how fucking stupid you are. Here is your only (you).

ok so what's your take on rep ranges, oh sagacious one?