What if instead of counting reps...

What if instead of counting reps, you just go to the gym 3-4 times a week and work out until you are going to either puke or simply too exhausted to continue?

In theory isn't that more productive as you always max yourself out as much as possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EdbDZ8_5g1o
youtube.com/watch?v=Rsy1N1rbTeA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why measure your progress when you can just half ass it and assume you are going balls to wall instead of dying of fatique?

Gee, I dunno.

It is very easy for you to think you are tired before you actually are. Say I want to get 10 reps, if I stopped when it was tough i might only get 6-8, but instead I push myself to hit the goal of 10.

That works actually, but only as long as you have the correct amount of rest and amount of food after. Oh and you can only do something like that as a natural for 2-4 weeks at best.
After that you'll be outright fucked.

Because steady measurable progress is sustainable.

Going all out and exhausting yourself is not.

More of her

I think that some people would get great results that way but we're all different. Poliquin often references this guy(who's name I've forgotten) who's method of building programs for individuals is to figure out what neurological type you are. Apparently there is a simple question test to figure this out(sorry for being vague) So the idea is that two guys with the exact same body type could do what you said and get totally different results because it's a neurological thing. So some people need a solid program where they track every set and never miss a day while others need to go balls to the wall every time. Some people need tons of variation while others need a solid plan. Am I making sense?

in theory yes. in practice it is much easier to sustain progressive overload with a system of uniform reps and weight increases.

>Going all out and exhausting yourself is not.
Yes it is stupid.

youtu.be/EdbDZ8_5g1o
latsbrah knows his shit

That's a great way to cause injury, in which you'll have to take a break from working out all together, in which you're not progressing. So no.

If you do that 3-4 times a week you burn all your glycogen and end up underperforming significantly

Mexican weather girl

Good lord thanks

ok u have fun with that bro

You can do that if you're on steroids. You can't do it if you're not. You'll exhaust yourself and you won't grow properly and hinder your progress.

Hmm I know, do as many reps of everything as you can, making your form and ROM terrible, and do that 5 times a week.

Good job, you just invented crossfit

You'd probably improve but you'd have no way to measure it. There would be no way to quantify whether a certain exercise, program, rep range, etc. was better than any other.

im kinda doing that right now.. first month in gym ever. just following general guidelines but its more or less random effort. ill give it some more time and post some results here.

Unless you're functionally fucking retarded, you should be able to tell if you can lift more weight, use more volume, or go longer and harder in another workout.

I mean, goddamn.

Yeah but its still far harder to measure when theres 5 or 6 different variables every workout instead of one.

I'm going to join the long train of people saying how stupid that would be at nearly any level of ability.

How would you know in what way you're exhausting your body? That you're actually pushing your muscles' strength limits instead of just fatigued because you ran out of glycogen or built up a lot of lactic acid?

Are you also just randomly picking exercises to do? So great, you're now unable to consistently plan around the requirements of different muscle groups.

As a beginner it'd be an especially bad idea because you don't have the form down yet, and pushing to close to exhaustion, when you don't even have the ability for consistent and complete activation yet anyways, is the perfect recipe for errors and failure.

And fundamentally, this would only work for beginners. That's what defines the difference between a beginner and somebody past it, is that it's no longer possible to go hard enough in one session to force growth to happen without at least threatening actual muscle injury. This is why more advanced plans require building up to new records.
(And of course, it's also more advanced programs that have elements of self direction, like AMRAP or choosing sets based on condition that day. Because as an intermediate or further lifter, you have both the body sense to know what's right and the practice to rep correctly.)

that is the stupidest shit I have ever heard. its not even that its not sustainable/ will lead to injury like the other anons itt have said

that sort of stimulus simply wouldnt have any meaningful effect on either strength or hypertrophy, because thats not how the human body works

the only thing that would improve would be your conditioning/endurance

please learn about human biology, you fucking mongoloid

I try to lift to failure on my last set or two with the big lifts, at least

Fucking push yourself, make it really painful, and be sorta drained by the end of the workout. Make it difficult, pussies.

Saying your good after doing "x" amount of reps is pathetic and you'll never leave humanity behind with that mindset, inside and outside of the gym.

Kid, you watch too many animes.

If you've programmed a heavy set for a specific number of reps, and at the end you're not pained and drained, you made that set too light. That's a "you're too stupid to plan your exercise correctly" issue, not some kind of flaw with standard sets.

Try working out with a proper program for more than a few weeks before you comment.

People with bodies made of flesh instead of ink don't get swole from going all raaaaaa for one training montage, they get it from consistent progress over time.

does all of mexico only have 1 weather girl?

No it fucking isn't.

Ok mate.
You enjoy making no progress and looking terrible for years like the majority of guys who do exactly what OP proposes.

yes.

You're fucking stupid and have all of 2 months of doing anything fitness related under your belt.

work smart not hard.

do both and be better than the faggot who lifts in the library

OP didn't say not to push. If you stop when you feel like it rather then when you physically can't do any more, you're not going to be able to do what op is describing.

I guarantee I look far better than you.
If you post a pic of you, I'll gladly prove it :)

Because youre trying to cause an adaptation. Your body senses a stress and adapts to compensate. You want to induce the minimum amount of stress necessary to induce adaptation. Performing more than that does not prompt more or faster, usually the opposite.

Instead of being a reddit faggot, just go try it out for a few weeks/months.

Performing more than minimum does prompt more gains.
Minimal effort, minimal gains.
The more you do, the higher the chance of injury, and doing too much can lead to no gains or regression.

Im not saying you should perform the minimum, im saying you should perform enough to cause adaptation. If 3 sets of 5 at 85% works, no reason to do 5x5, etc.

Knowing the weight and then goal amount of reps will pay off since (as said) you will push yourself harder.

10 reps too easy? Add weight. 12 reps too easy? Add weight and remember where you are at so you can tell if you are progressing.

I don't see where my judgement in exhaustion is better than meeting number goals. If I run up the hill at the front of my neighborhood once I'm going to be exhausted.

your last sentence was completely wrong

Most look a like youtube.com/watch?v=Rsy1N1rbTeA

You'll overtrain very quickly.

I basically do what the OP is saying, except I also count how many reps I did. If you don't keep track of progress you can't be accountable for your GAINS.

So if I managed to hit 7 sets of 4 on bench today, I know next workout I better manage a couple sets of 5 or I made shit gains that week.

There's a threshold for how much work it takes to provoke a growth response in your body. Above that limit more work means more growth response, up to a point.

Past that point your body won't respond any further, and the excess work will just contribute to catabolic processes.

If you're a novice that isn't such a problem because you can't lift enough to really cause lasting damage. You'll just make shitty progress. Past novice level you'll just end up so fatigued you can't really do anything.