Question about cutting and protein

Question about cutting and protein...

So I'm doing my first official cut and am a bit confused about how much I can adjust my protein or if I should at all.

I am 198lbs, about 25% bodyfat roughly...

I was taking:

Protein = 272 g (39%)
Carbs = 317 g (45%)
Fat = 116 g (16%)

For my cut I will be doing:

Protein = 208 g (38%)
Carbs = 251 g (46%)
Fat = 91.4 g (17%)

As you can see, I went from 272g of protein to 208 g.

Being 198lbs, I figured I was already doing decent for bulking, but for cutting I could lessen it a bit to lessen overall calories and keep ratios. Basically I was lessening it but since I was still over the 1g per 1 lbs rule, I thought I was good.

But gymbros are telling me I shouldn't have touched protein, or that I should even increase it on a cut, but then I'm thinking my ratios would be ridiculous and I'd be getting way too much protein and also burning out if I were to just cut carbs.

Advice?

If you are on a cut the easiest way to burn extra calories without drastically impacting your diet is just doing light cardio like an hour of walking, or some jogging

True, but between school, work and training I can't really afford to do an hour of cardio several times a week.

I will eventually try to work HIIT in when I'm closer to 10% bf but for now I can't keep a cardio schedule :\

Even 1g per 1 lb is an estimate but yeah anything over 0.7g/lb lean mass is good. Personally I cut carbs most aggressively but that's just how I've been able to operate comfortably at a deficit. Cutting carbs before touching the other macros helps me avoid cravings and I never feel like crazy hungry. At my most aggressive I could drop a lb a day but muscle seemed to be dropping at a faster rate as well. You WILL lose some
muscle no way to get around it but as long as you are still working out and paying attention to your body you can minimize this.

You don't have to do an hour if you do 30 minutes of jogging combined with a lower calorie diet you'll still see better results.

Perhaps I'll see if I can swap in a protein for carbs. I felt like my carbs were probably already on the low side if anything and the easiest thing to cut was a protein source since I was already kinda overdoing it (maybe).

Thanks man

See, that'd probably work. But isn't there something about either long low intensity or short HIIT being better for burning fat? I heard medium level cardio doesn't tap into fat as much.

But perhaps it may be a decent alternative. Do you know of any good ways to track calories burned from cardio? I'm not good with gadgets and stuff... Fitbit?

One more shameless bump before I let die...

uhhhh dont you need to keep lifting on a cut?

Of course. I will keep lifting the exact same. Just needed some help with diet.

oh i get it, youre adding the 30 mins light cardio

could give swimming a go. helps stretch you out real nice too.

It is okay to be protein heavy on a cut. 50% is fine... some go higher than that even. As long as are getting carbs, you can cut them a bunch. 100 carbs a day is a good upper level for a cut. You won't feel bad unless you are in keto land. Going under 25% carbs feels good for me. But above all else, make sure they are complex. Fuck sugar.

Can't swim lol FML

In general I just hate doing cardio, especially while I'm bulky. Hard on the joints and whatnot. Would have rathered cut calories then when I'm lighter, get into cardo.

I don't mind cutting calories, I don't want to spend too much time cutting as I love lifting heavy and not feeling like shit after, just not sure about lowering protein for a cut. So much different info about it online

I think 1:1 on protein will be a fine ratio. I wouldn't sweat it too hard unless you start seeing lifts dropping quickly or being unable to perform. 208b @ 198 will be fine. The research to back it up is out there.

Yeah, I may swap in a protein source.

Though I tend to like my carbs and find myself craving when I'm low. I should also mention that my lifts are more strength/powerlifter style than bodybuilding, so I do need a fair bit of energy to perform. I want to enjoy lifting too lol.

What's the general rule you go by for protein? Like how much per bodyweight or LBM?

So learn.
Get lessons from qt3.14

I understand you want to the best bang for your buck, but remember calories in calories out is still the ballgame and theres more than one way to skin a cat. Doing HIIT (but not overdoing HIIT) would shorten your cardio sessions and make it easier to work into your schedule though.

The research does seem to back up .80 - 1g per bodyweight indeed.

But do you think lowering it from my bulk, even if it's about the ratio, is OK?

That seems to be the argument the guys are making. They're saying the fact I'm even lowering it is wrong... but then I'm think, when the heck would I ever lower it? I can't keep taking from carbs and fat til I'm only eating protein.

Stretch marks across shoulders has me insecure, feelsbadman.

Gonna laser that shit once I'm cut. I fucked up hard by showering before lifts. Dry skin + lifting = no bueno

Very true, thanks. I am generally a paranoid/perfectionist fucker and I think I'm just freaking out. I'm a hardgainer who worked years to get what muscle I have and would hate to get back to being a twig by messing this up. But you're totally right, cals in - cals out.

nah protein keeps you full, and if your body needs it, it converts protein into glucose, of course you want to avoid this since that means losing muscle, so you try and find that sweet spot of your body's carb needs. Also, choose your carbs wisely to avoid cravings. A binge or fuck up will make you feel like shit.

You're going to be doing this for years to come. You are doing more than you were doing. Marathon not a sprint. We're all gonna make it.

Good advice, thanks. I'm generally pretty disciplined but I know this will be trying since it's my first cut. My carbs are sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, fruits mostly. Should be good.

Haha, yes, we're all gonna make it broz. Thanks man.