Is close grip bench safer for your shoulders than wide grip bench?

Is close grip bench safer for your shoulders than wide grip bench?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5iCcKzg2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=diiu8strKZM
docslide.us/documents/justin-lascek-the-texas-method-advanced.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

no it's worse if you go all the way down to your chest

Yes it is, less external rotation of the shoulders.

Nope. Fucked my left shoulder on the close grip

>external rotation
>bad

Your shoulders get fucked up precisely because most people don't do enough external rotation training of the shoulders.

>External rotation is a direct cause of injury for a lot of bench injuries
>I'm really weak in that position
>I'm gonna load it with hundreds of pounds

smart

>>External rotation is a direct cause of injury for a lot of bench injuries
no, a lack of external rotation strength is an indirect cause of injury for benching.
but more often, internally rotating the shoulder too much put a lot of strain on the shoulder and external rotators, which is a direct cause for a lot of bench injuries

Brap?

>Internally rotating

m8 if your shoulders are internally rotating on CGPB then you're not doing it right they should stay neutral throughout the movement

Retract the scapula dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5iCcKzg2Q

or some external rotation but it should be minimal

yeah, that's what you'd think, but if you look at strong close-grip benchers they often internally rotate quite a lot (e.g. clarence0 or pete rubish or zitronenquark on youtube)

Close grip and wide grip work different things, so you should do both.

What is that? 15 degrees MAYBE?

You're far more likely to go too wide and fuck your shoulders than you are with internal rotation on close grip unless you go full retard and your hands are touching

around the sticking point it's more severe.
take a look at his latest videos.

also, sure, you're more likely to internally rotate too much with wide grip.

Close grip bench is for triceps.

Fucking idiot lmao

Half the reason halfway strong lifters use cgbp is to encourage more external rotation during conventional bench

Go do more reading, lurk moar and start lifting

By the sticking point the triceps are doing the majority of the work, why do you think clarence does close grip over regular? Why do you think AD does it? Find a single site online that says that the close grip isn't safer for your shoulders and they aren't going full retard on their form.

Also you clearly can't read if you think that's what I said.

>strong external rotation
>close grip

link me lol

no, the triceps never do the majority of the work, that's always still the pecs in a bench press.

i didnt say close grip isn't safer...
it's not, but i doubt you'd take a second to learn something.

If you're doing it right, yes. Either way you need to retract your scapula and keep your lats tight. However, regular grip bench fucked up my shoulders, even with good form. With close grip my shoulders feel perfectly fine.

You can still stimulate your chest, in fact even more so with a close grip. You can even try this yourself without a bar. While feeling your pec with one hand, use your free arm and press with the regular width, feel your chest? Alright, now move your grip inwards around shoulder width or so and move the free arm out. You will feel a harder chest contraction.

In my experience, benching heavy close grip or doing 5x5 will still stimulate your chest and I've been very sore in my chest after doing heavy close grip because it stimulates your pecs even more.

CGBP is god tier, it keeps your shoulders save while promoting more chest and tricep growth

nah, it doesn't hit chest more.
it hits triceps more and chest a bit less.
also front delts a bit more.

still a good chest exercise, just not as good as medium grip bench.

>youtube.com/watch?v=diiu8strKZM

Forgot pic

If I wasn't open to learning anything then I'd be one of the guys in here parroting that regular grip is better because that's what everyone else does instead of taking advice that makes more sense despite not being the traditional method. M8 unless you can show me a legitimate resource that says otherwise then I'm not going to change my stance.

docslide.us/documents/justin-lascek-the-texas-method-advanced.html

See 'Assistance'.

It's obvious you don't really know what you're talking about. If you have any interest in strength training at all you'd have to be profoundly ignorant to somehow be unaware of the fact that external rotation is important for shoulder health during any bench press and that cgbp is used to drill this habit into people who bench with elbows flared.

The elbows are the larger the stretch in your chest and therefore the larger the contraction, and close-grip puts them back just as far if not further than a standard grip.

This.

Depends on the person. Many find it hits chest more, many, including me, don't. There's many factors at play.

that booty is flat. would be pffffff

Elbow depth is not the only factor determining pec activation in a horizontal press

close grip with arms close to body puts a lot of strain on the small shoulder and back muscles that keep the shoulder from anteriorly tilting.
anterior tilt is a pretty common problem for benching, and even for rowing.
for most people, the safest position is a medium grip and a medium flare.
(ofcourse some people are gonna have the least issues with a close grip, while others finde a wide grip most comfortable)

stretch isn't the only thing to consider.

Close grip nearly wrecked my shoulders, went wide and after a few weeks of focusing on external rotations and face pulls, my shoulders were like brand new again.

I can't even read the link idk if it's fucked up or what.

But if I'm understanding what your saying:
>Closegrip causes the lifter to forcefully externally rotate to fight the internal rotation that can happen on close grip and that builds their external rotation strength making it safer when performing regular grip

You still aren't externally rotating in close grip you dumb ass, at least not to the extent that you do in a regular grip.

Obviously every lifter should be after healthy shoulders, but your point only makes sense if you're forced to do regular bench where you're forced into external rotation but why would you force yourself to externally rotate and put your shoulders in danger if you don't have to? You're stuck in this thinking that you MUST to regular grip bench, but unless you're a PL you don't.

If the whole point of the close grip is so you don't fuck yourself up on regular then which one do you think is safer?

But it definitely is one of the biggest factors

If your shoulders and back can't handle the bench press then the problem isn't the grip it's your weak upper back. That's another issue. You are right about different proportions but as a general statement: for most people without significant imbalances the close grip bench is safer for your shoulders than a medium grip. and I'm stickin to it

Well, take it this way: most people have too much internal rotation and flared elbows. While it does feel better in the chest and triceps, it's not safe at high weights. External rotation, elbows tucked (not brushing your sides), is safer. To someone needing stronger pressing muscles in this new position of safe external rotation, the cgbp is a great solution because since it demands a similar degree of external rotation, it encourages good habits and gets the lagging muscles sufficiently strong to bench safely.

This is common knowledge among powerlifters, and if you're going to learn to bench from anyone, learn from the guys whose career is 33.3% benching.

well, like i said, anterior tilt is a common problem.
you can do all the back and shoulder work you want, but if you have a weak subscap, you need to train for it specifically.
i've never seen anyone do that in my gym.
i also never met anyone that knew what anterior tilt is caused by, but i have seen plenty of people trying to fix it with rows/rear delt work/external rotations/face pull (they don't help for that).

eric cressey also recommends a medium grip for horizontal pushing (and pulling).

i think we can both agree that whatever might statistically be the safest for most people, individuals still just need to try out and use whatever feels best for them.

I learned to bench from Mark Bell vids lol.

And yeah I'm assuming goodform on all these lifts, obviously you won't be benching as much with closegrip but I'm just saying purely based on the view of shoulder health like OP asked (even though he probably left 20 posts ago) close grip is probably better for longevity in shoulder health.

PL have perfected, or at least come close, the regular bench because it generally moves more weight. But if you aren't a powerlifter then why restrict yourself to training like one? Imo longevity is more important than a few extra pounds on a max. Plus if you ever feel like switching back to regular it should still have increased if you raised your closegrip due to how similar they are.

Sure, i agree with that, but the reason I chimed in, aside from being tipsy, was to address your point on external rotation, which is better for safety than internal. Mark bell is also something of an outsider when it comes to this issue, he's not preaching the norm among those similar to him which I count as a point against him especially since he's never been an exceptional bencher at his level

what booty

Try it out for yourself. For me the shoulder and elbow pain went away.

>TFW when I got all my shoulder gains from a wide grip bench press

>someone in this thread is genuinely advocating wide grip over close grip for shoulder health

i need to leave this board t b h

then do so.

Health is also being alive and tbf you are much more likely to drop the bar on your neck using close grip

Your grip should be your biacromial width. Aka shoulder width. Lie down and put your arms at your sides. Then raise them straight up until they hit the bar. Wherever your forearms land, thats where your grip should be give or take a few centimeters

Studies show that there is the same level of chest activation in both presses. Just because you don't feel a muscle working it doesn't mean that it isn't