Is bodyweight fitness a meme? If I stick to this routine:

Is bodyweight fitness a meme? If I stick to this routine: reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

can I actually make some long term gains?

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aHlTKsWWYjU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Calisthenics is great for anything up to ottermode. The gains will be alot slower tho so keep that in mind. It'll do jack shit for your legs too.

Sure thing! Just add squats and deadlifts for optimal gains :)

>that overhand grip

Cheating a lift is cheating yourself

they dont get the body doing bodyweight routines

if you eat enough you will make gains, it's just that weighing more is contrary to progressing in calisthenics. Pullups and Dips will easily substitute for the upper body demands.

my only problem so far with this is legs, how do you train them with bodyweight only?

You can't. Even pistol squats only get you so far. Most bodyweight programs recommend adding weight to leg exercises, or even to drop bw squats and do bb squats and deads instead

terrible to hear i already knew it deep inside, thanks

I did this routine and I made way better aesthetics gains than I ever did on SS, plus didn't have to pay gym fees. Calisthenics is all we had for thousands of years, and humans have been getting ripped for forever. My advice is to combine it with some decent cardio 3-4 times a week, and eating clean, to get a good lean bulk going and eventually otter mode. If you already have access to a gym, try doing high rep calisthenics on your off days along with cardio.

This is true. Do not expect juicy legs from calisthenics, but do expect great upper body gains. You still can make good aesthetic leg gains from doing hill sprints and trail running tho. You just won't get massive legs.

>tfw can't decide if I want to continue strength training in the gym for all the good feels that lifting heavy provides or sacrifice some strength to switch to calisthenics and master my body and movement

I'm still bulking out of skelly mode though and I imagine calisthenics is harder to progress in if you're gaining weight. Should I stick with the gym until I hit my goal weight and then switch?

>bodyweight

Is easy to start with but comparatively harder to progress - to up the resistance you need to master loads of exercise variations

>free weights

You need access to weights and a place to use them. Starting off you're probably spending a lot of time fucking around with your form. Progression is comparatively easy - just slap a heavier weight on your barbell or grab a heavier set of dumbbells.

Pros and cons man, pros and cons. You can look good either way.

bump for bodyweight

What if bodyweight is also part of my lifting routine?

The upper body work isn't a meme, but I'm going to tell you something about the calisthenics, street workout, and bodyweight community that people don't notice because of the low levels of scrutiny

>There are more fake Natties in this street workout (et. Al) than any other fitness subculture

Don't expect to look like these guys overnight. Most of the physiques can be achieved natty over time, but that's why so many of them juice- it flies under the radar.

Holy fuck, this. Again, calisthenics is great, you can make good ottermode gains, but remember that it is a slow process. I swear, like 80% of the calisthenics YouTubers I've seen are obvious fake natties.

Just do squats and deads bro. Nothing can beat a good squat.

This. So so many fake natties on calisthenics.

Bodyweight exercises are great, but will get you looking like this guy on the pic : , unless you're short (under 5'8).

This is GOAT for beginners, imo. Do decline push ups and chin ups everyday, but like 60-70% of your max reps. If your max is only 2 3 reps, do slow negatives instead.

fucked my lower back lads so now I am going to do extremely high volume simple calisthenics (A=pull ups+inverted row,B=push ups-tricep dips) while still eating at a surplus

ABABxAB

I will update you in two months about muscle and strength gain

It's not a meme but it is misrepresented.

You'll often see transformation pictures/videos and then some guy telling you he did bodyweight exercises for 3 months and this is the proof with some clips of him doing push ups in the park.

What they don't tell you is it's 3 months doing several hours a day on an extremely strict diet with your entire life now revolving around this workout regime.

Just go to the gym 2-4 times a week and live your life and you'll make good gains. No need to rush for everything instantly, you've got all your life.

right now im a skinny fat with a gut i want to get rid of for summer

im doing calisthenics and wonder if i can make decent noob gains during summer.

>Is bodyweight fitness a meme?

Yes.

pistols

Yeah, that depends on your definition of maintain.

Sprinting and jumping is honestly as good as it gets for legs.

Pistol squats for training legs is like using a sling blade to cut grass. You'd only do it if limited by equipment, and it's not that good.

Sprinting is the ultimate way to train your lower body. Squats,diddlies,etc are just accesories

Redpill me on FitnessFAQ. Is he a fake natty? The low BF% screams yes, but his mass seems attainable. He also doesn't make noticable gains unlike most fake natties who just keep growing until it eventually is obvious.

Sure is, he does use free weights in addition to his calisthenics, but he's clearly pretty religious about his calisthenics training considering he's tall and can still do for example a straddle planche.

if bodyweight exercises are so effective, why have i never seen an impressive body in Person that was achieved without weight Training.
i know they exist, i just never see them.

because you go to the gym so you see a bunch of weightlifters
lot of calisthenics guys train in random ass places

can you anons do these?

Not without holding onto a TRX band or whatever.

With about 50lbs of added weight.

But only once and its hard as fuck

Are you holding a dumbbell or are we talking about meme equipment like a weighted vest?

There's some black dude that goes to the local Planet fitness and he's shredded as fuck. He'll hog the pull up area and do gymnast shit. I think the only reason he's there is just to flex at the local negresses there.

This. There's no advantage to benching if you're so DYEL that you can't do 20 decent pushups, or barbell rows if you can't do bodyweight rows right. Pullups and dips are often in programs that use barbells for the most part, and you just add weight once they get too easy.

I am starting to suspect that handstand pushups are superior to OHP too for quite a while, the drawback being that you need to be able to do handstands.

Mix shit up and do whatever works.

holding dumbell in front makes it easier actually

Just tried, it's easy af. But I'm 5'3"

OP, I've been doing calisthenics for about a year. Great noob gains, but I will have to turn to weightlifting eventually, because 2 hour workout sessions (I'm doing 60 reps of squats alone...) suck.

Yeah I could naturally do them by the time I was 11.
>inb4 Le ManLet

only on my right left. sad as fuck.

SS isn't designed for aesthetics, but you will get shredded with calisthenics.

Pistols are very proportion dependant. Some people can just knock em out with no training. Some people have to train long and hard to get them, and it's not even about strength as much as balance. Doin them with weight held out front is actually easier than unweighted. I've worked my way up to being able to do it with only 5lbs held in front, should get an unweighted one soon.

i do only pullups, pushups and sprints and look like absolute shit so i guess it is

you gotta up the difficulty. work towards L sit pullups, pullovers, muscleups, pseudo planche pushups, planche pushups, one arm push/pull ups.

>2 upper body exercises. 1 lower. No core work.
>wonder why you look like shit

gotta diversify more. dips, inverted rows, handstand pushups, hanging leg raises, dragonflags, pistol squats, ect.

freestanding handstand pushups on paralettes are the GOAT exercise, they are seriously the most satisfying feeling the combination of balance and strength working together in full body awareness hnnnnnnnng

Suboptimal if u want to get strong, or get aesthetic. Its good for GPP or to start getting in shape, but if you are serious you are gonna wanna start lifting weights.

You don't approach calisthenics with a bodybuilding mindset. If you seek gains, then go lift iron. It's great for fitness but shit for getting big for strong.

Did them on my first try. Bringing my knee that far forward though makes it crack like crazy

Absolute shit.

I fell for the calisthenics meme. Then I started doing weighted calisthenics movements + dumbbell (home gym master race). More gains in 3 months then I got on 1.5 years of calisthenics + noob gains

Why are people shocked that you don't get big on calisthenics? They aren't a meme, but if you want to get big, you need more resistance than bodyweight can provide.

This, desu.

I don't like how Manletdestiny constantly shills his stuff here, but he was right about calisthenics being useful for volume/conditioning training.
I hold advanced calisthenics separate from the previous class because it really is a different beast. Planches and one arm chins require a totally different approach. Both can provide excellent gains, but are very difficult to achieve (even maintaining a one arm chin up is a feat unto itself)

The only real thing you can do is squats, pistols, bridges and sprints

>not doing both

don't listen to this guy, OP. He's a gains goblin

a lot of caisthenics people get butthurt when you point out that its not the end all be all of fitness, take this doggedness into consideration when taking advice from them

its like listening to rippetoe for anything except strength advice in the big 4; you just can't quite trust anything he says.

i will say, however, that bodyweight offers nothing aesthetis wise that weight training won't get you in half the time and effort

>handstand pushups are superior to OHP
DELET THIS

Pros
>less pressure on lower back
>adds a insane level of stability
>trains preconception

Cons
>easy to cheat with a banana back
>usually done wrong
>does with no rull rom

This is what I'm doing right now.
bulking for a few more months while doing greyskull to build up my strength. I do skill work on the fundamental movements like front lever, l-sit, back lever, handstand, and pistols in a GtG fashion. Hoping that by the time I reach my strength goals I will be flexible enough to hop into a mostly bw routine with some weighted stuff like squats chins and dips.

I've been seeing a pretty big improvement in my flexibility and ability to perform some of the movements. I'd recommend just working on bw progression stuff slowly with bb training being the main focus.

It also helps to read parts of overcoming gravity (the programming sections that tell you how to combine bw and bb stuff in particular)

It depends on what you want. I do pull-up variations and dips. For core I do cable crunches. Legs I run and use the stair master ... also occasionally ride my bike

I don't have to spend much time in the gym and I like being lighter on my feet.

When I squatted my run times suffered and my legs rubbed together on ruck marches

Expect slow gains, but pretty damn solid strength, dont rush it tho, body weight training stresses the joints.
Here is a national level gymnast testing his 1rm.

youtube.com/watch?v=aHlTKsWWYjU

Notice how he does not have a power lifters type form, yet he hits a solid 2xbw bench press.

That dude is weird man... I've always gotten a bullshit vibe from him. He has two YouTube channels with different names that he pretends is his birth name.