What will Veeky Forums do with their newfound immortality?

What will Veeky Forums do with their newfound immortality?

time.com/4711023/how-to-keep-your-dna-from-aging/

Other urls found in this thread:

uky
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fap forever

There can be only one. So I'll start cutting off the heads of other Highlanders.

so basically the myths about ambrosia and the water of life were all correct?

What I currently do except forever.

so what happens if this shit works in humans? like socially? how are we going to deal with this as humans

blast and cruise for all eternity

Well what age do you want, senpai?

I wouldn't mind about 24, myself.

Well, they are only just about to start human testing soon. It might end up not working as well for us in comparable doses.

That's really the biggest question. There's definitely an overpopulation problem. But at the same time, I can't help but wonder if people will actually end up having fewer children? One of the reasons humans as a whole have children is to pass on their genes, as they know they won't be here forever. But if you can massively extend human lifespan, that might actually curttail that primal fear, at least a little bit. Although there will still be people who are completely irresponsible and keep fucking with no protection, or are obsessed with having large families.

Either way, shit would absolutely change. Especially if this is something that would be available to the masses at a reasonable cost.

I bet you anything if this ended up covered by insurance, you'd see a whole lot more people in the States advocating for socialized healthcare, because everyone will want it.

Although you also would see an immediate and massive outcry from both religious and possibly heavily nature-focused groups who would consider it an affront to God/Earth

here's what im saying, we put this shit in the water as well as carcinogens that sterilize us all, that way no new kids and everyone gets to experience hellish immortality

to learn every jutsu there is

People will still want children, though. Especially as there are other research projects going on that are leading us towards the "designer baby" future. We could end up having ageless Coordinators within the next few generations. Maybe even sooner.

Within our lifetimes, we may actually see humanity be left behind.

That "eternity" will come 30 years sooner though

We'd only be immune to aging, not to bullets.

Probably 21 which is what I am now.

This sort of research could also lead to new advances in treating genetic disorders, as well. So yeah, murder will still work as well as it always has. But if they're right about how it works with current PARP1 inhibitors, they might be able to get cancer to fuck off.

21 is a good choice. I just turned 30 and I can feel how much longer it takes for me to recover compared to when I was in my early 20's. I'm still young enough that it certainly won't be a real problem for years to come, but I can absolutely tell the difference.

I'm also not as fast on reactions in Street Fighter as I was back then. I'd like to have that back.

Try doing some sudoku or brain puzzles I hear those help greatly.

Really any tips on how to increase my recovery times?

If I was immortal I wouldn't worry about anything. I'd travel the world, live in interesting places and do whatever work I needed to get by. I'd have all the time to learn anything I wanted. I would be free.

Time is our greatest enemy.

Can you imagine the sort of advancements in all manner of sciences and arts if our greatest minds never degenerate and pass on? Or how much you as a person could learn?

For reaction speeds? My problem isn't my brain. It's that my body takes slightly longer to do what my brain tells it than it used to.

Await the inevitable cancer that comes with lengthened telomeres.

I am curious how they'll approach that potential issue.

Didn't they try something similar a few years back and had risen cancer rates in the mice as an effect?

>other Highlanders

>other Bravehearts

murder will just curb our far too high population. even better.
forgot about designer babies, gotta say im kind of excited for them, but i didnt come up with this scenario as an ideal, this was just a quick idea of a hell

I don't want to live forever

>tfw no one has brought up AI yet
You guys think that humans will be the best minds in the future? Ha! Artificial intelligence will bring about a golden age if it doesn't bring us back to the Stone Age.

>working on postgrad AI research project
>look into coworkers manilla folder he left at work station
>Studying AI facial recognition
>AI can now differentiate between peoples faces from a shitty pixelate video feed
>every ones face can be modeled in a 3D matrix which can be analysed for the highest contributing components (like fingerprints)
>mfw nigs fighting in pixelated worldstar videos are tagged and bagged by a facebook API

scary shit.

If you're interested in virtual reality you might be interested in the following:

uky [dot] edu/~mwa229/RobertNozickTheExperienceMachine.pdf

I WILL DESTROY THE JOESTAR BLOODLINE

The thought of people living forever is scarier than death to me.

Well hopefully this doesn't also make us weak to the sun or the Ripple.

desu before vr becomes the new aged care homes, I want my head cut off Immortal style.

I'm only 24 and we've possibly found a cure for aging

If I get to 40 I wonder what kind of trippy shit we'll be able to do. Hopefully cure cancer, I'm really scared of that

And get me my hair back too

As a matter of fact, if you re-read the article, they actually do mention how this type of research could potentially be used in tandem with certain breast cancer treatments to significantly enhance their effect. Possibly slow the growth of new cancer cells enough for them to be properly dealt with, either by the body itself or from outside.

We'll be stuck with Boomers forever, and therefore it won't be a problem, because the world will end apocalyptically in less than a century.

>We'll be stuck with Boomers forever

Now that is a pretty scary thought.

Please, someone, just end me now.

>We'll be stuck with Boomers forever,
>tfw you never even had a chance
really make you think

This is the real reason we need to get Veeky Forums

Gen Xers and Millennials will have to work together to overthrow the Boomers in the Generation War.

I saw the part about eliminating the negatives of chemo but I missed that bit

The thought that as long as I don't get his by a bus in the next few decades I might live to be an healthy old man is pretty reassuring desu

Even if it doesn't extend lifespan entirely, the idea of extending the physical prime another few decades is already astounding.

if this is real, be sure to cozy up to your coworkers because they are about to make a fuckton of dosh.

I haven't read the story, but I'm aware of its philosophical argument. I don't think I would want to hook up to it. There's too much to be done in the real world to worry about my experiencing a perfect one. What are your thoughts?
This only makes me wonder what it will be like when they seize footage from all cameras connected to the internet, if they haven't already. I don't even know who "they" would be.

Generation Z will eventually rise above all.

have you seen how fucking big kids are these days?

Unfortunately the bigness ends up going both ways. There are some fucking FAAAAAT kids out there.

But I mean every generation should end up better than the last. That's not always how it works, but in theory it should be that way. Especially if we get our genetic manipulation tech working for real and can start making designer babies.

>tfw 19 years old
>tfw living through the biggest technological advancements of mankind
>tfw likely gonna live to see anti-aging, genetic modifying, and artificial intelligence plus who knows what else.

>accumulate all wealth by investing in businesses
>study every type of science
>train my body to be in peak physical condition by lifting, martial arts etc.
>practice in other hobbies such as arts, writing

so much to do that being a neet fapping to trap hentai all day will get old and you'll eventually do the ones i wrote above

too bad society will collapse in 10 years due to automation because the top richest people are too greedy to let go of their wealth.

What about in reverse?

You end up doing all those things for so long, and accomplishing so much, that you eventually get tired of it all and decide to spend the rest of your days fapping in peace.

Tell me: under what moral law do the top richest people have to give away their wealth?

>wanting to keep living

>society will collapse in 10 years
True
>due to automation
False
> because the top richest people are too greedy to let go of their wealth.
False

We can only hope that Trump's America refuses to give genetic immortality drugs to the commies.

Don't forget the first steps towards the Mars colony.

He never said they had to. But having the people with all of the wealth simply hoarding it forever and not moving it around the economy, putting it into innovation, or otherwise putting it to use for something other than just making your bank account bigger and bigger doesn't help anyone.

We're not even talking about just using your money in charitable means, either. But just sitting on your hoard and trying to make it as big as possible does nobody any good.

That pic is gonna be me in 30 years.

>sitting on your hoard and trying to make it as big as possible does nobody any good

THIS.
if your wealthy SPEND YOUR MONEY.
besides who wants to die with a full bank account anyway?

They can't cheat death so the only way to live on is through their legacy. These rich guys want their name slapped on a building or a brand and have sires with the same amount of recognition and wealth as them when they are dead.

Well I suppose in this case, they might just try to get their hands on these innovations first so they can't die. Or at least, not from old age.

The real answer would be to ensure that your children and grandchildren can live comfortably. But even still, you don't need tens of billions of dollars for that.

If I had 1% sort of money, I'd be spending a lot of it on funding projects that will let me see cool shit happening in my lifetime. You could bet your ass that I'd make sure programs for the advancement of humanity's future in space get nice, hefty wads of cash thrown at them.

Then I'd tell them to name part of the Mars colony after me, because of

now to population control....

I certainly don't believe that idiots hoarding money are helping humanity at all. The monkey with the most bananas won't be able to take them on, everyone knows this.

That would probably be the biggest immediate concern over a sudden and dramatic expansion of the human lifespan. We're already outgrowing the planet as it is. And you can't just kill a couple billion people, as much as I know some people around here would salivate at the idea.

You'll have to find entirely new solutions. If that means figuring out how to shuttle huge segments of the population off to another planet, then so be it.

The hoarders, definitely not. That's why I actually have a lot of respect for a guy like Bill Gates. He saw this mind-boggling stash of cash he was sitting on, thought "It really would be a shame to let all this just gather dust" and found things to do with it.

Who would you want to see given this treatment, Veeky Forums?

And would it be considered natty?

>That's why I actually have a lot of respect for a guy like Bill Gates. He saw this mind-boggling stash of cash he was sitting on, thought "It really would be a shame to let all this just gather dust" and found things to do with it.
It's just a shame that those "things" are all nefarious.

Actually, it's more like the current consumption based economy can't continue. We're running out of shit to sell and pretty soon people are going to question the validity of the very notion of what is being shown as worth.
When that happens credit and debt are out of the window.

>Contributing huge sums to Malaria and Tuberculosis control funding through his foundation
>Nefarious
Yeah, okay.

Perhaps, but that's not the sort of thing that would change within a lifetime or two at this rate. Not without a whole lot of violence, at least.

Well, unless the thing this thread is about actually works as well as the best case scenario. Then said lifetimes would be much longer.

>We're not even talking about just using your money in charitable means, either. But just sitting on your hoard and trying to make it as big as possible does nobody any good.
Like most normies, you have a flawed perception of how this works. No rich man (except maybe drug lords) has a literal scrooge underground vault filled with cash. All of their wealth is in various value (and thus income) generating assets. They own value producing companies, own and develop real estate and invest in debt, like government bonds which are in return used to build infrastructure. Even in the unlikely case some retard has billions in a literal bank checking account, it's the bank that does those things. If anything, only poorfags have unused money sitting under the mattress.

Tl;dr most rich people (who got rich themselves or stayed rich from an ancestor who got rich) are very efficient at creating or at least maintaining value.

To give a normie example, Elon Musk is creating value, which gives him money that allows him to create even more value, improving the lives of everybody. Electricity generation, producing spoons, crushing rock into gravel, having a farm, running a phone company with a R&D lab (which changed the world) are all mundane but equally important examples.

Aw shit, meant to aim at Yes, I do indeed know how people put their money to work, and is a significant reason as to why their own value can grow from it. I was vastly oversimplifying for the sake of not making this thread about the way the financial state of things work. Because then we start getting into tax laws and this and that, which has no real place in this topic, or board in general.

I'm a huge fan of what Elon Musk has been doing, for the record. I'm really happy someone with his brand of crazy has the kind of funds he has.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Notch was one of said retards who just has a shitload of money he's just sitting on. But the way he made his money is quite a bit different from the really, outrageously rich types, such as your Koch Brothers and the like.

But anyway, back on topic. Unless you've been in this topic the whole time. What changes in your life would you make if you had a way you knew could halt or even reverse the aging process?