Shall we have a /fasting/ general thread?

Shall we have a /fasting/ general thread?

I wanna keep talking about fasting, long term and 16/8 IF. I see a lot of questions about it on this board.

Please share your questions and experiences!

Also post pics of the Fung Master.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE
youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk
imgur.com/cTzYJHk
reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/356gyl/results_with_pics_of_my_accelerated_lean_gains_cut/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

done IF (16/8, 18/6, 20/4) for more than two years. i doubt i'll ever stop.

about two months ago i dabbled in alternate day fasting and slightly longer (longest was about 45 hours). started bulking soon after that, but i'm definitely going to use ADF when i decide to lose some fat.

I've been doing IF for a few months and at the beginning of March I decided to do longer fasts. I have done two 24 or 48 hour fasts a week.

The first 48 hour fast was harder than normal 16,8 IF, but I got some sea salt that i mix with water on the second morning and it's been absolutely great. When i finally break my fast I feel so good, and it only takes about 1/4 of my daily calories to feel full AF. The next few days i feel so refreshed.

So far by the end of the week i feel absolutely great and my weekly calorie count is like 5k or more under.

Side note: I've beat my max lifts during this duration in multiple exercises.

Does IF burn muscle?
IF + Cardio?

No

According to Dr. Fung, this is a common misconception. If there is fat availible in the body, your going to burn that before you burn muscle. In a video he likens this to a wood burning oven:
"If you have firewood availible in your house, why would you chop up yout sofa and throw it into the fire?"

He says when you fast, rather than just cut calories, you tend to burn more fat due to better insulin management.

I don't have a link to the video now, will try to post it in a few minutes.

I have trouble making it past 24 hours. I get lightheaded and feel weak and out of it. You think salt makes the difference?

I do cardio while fasting so i sweat a lot. I have had no lightheadedness not dizziness when i take a few tsp of salt. I bet if you try it (and maybe some black coffee) you'll see a major difference.

try hydrating more

Salt makes a huuuge difference. In fact, hydrating more won't make any difference unless you have enough salt. I like to drink broth (Fung suggests bone broth but I can't be assed to make that so I just do vegtable boullion instead). If salt isn't working, it might also be potassium, in which case you can buy potassium chloride really cheap and mix it into whatever you're eating/drinking. If neither of those work, try supplementing magnesium. If that doesn't work, stop fasting and see a doctor.

i heard that potassium supplementation is potentially dangerous, and that taking some sodium should be enough to increase potassium levels (or something to that effect).

also for magnesium, just get some epsom salts.

Can I get a source for different methods of fasting and information?

Here's the long vid with quite a bit of good info:
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

Here's a shorter one:
youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk

I will try to find a site that details out the differences of 16/8 vs long-term. Pretty self-explanitory for how to go about it, but there's a bit more info you'll be interested in if i can find it.

started a water fast today (thanks to a suggestion from a Veeky Forums user) to try to shrink my moobies, is this a good way to achieve said goal?

I've been using some shit I found at whole foods that is called "all natural sea salt" or something. It supposedly has other minerals in it that help with 'replentishment'. I just mix that shit up in half a glass of warm water in the morning and im good for the rest of the day.

Alternatvely they do sell electrolyte capsules, but i feel like it may be overexpensive. I have also seen small bottles of literal pickle juice that contain sodium and other electrolytes with 0 sugar and calories.

Appreciate it, kind user. I'll give them a watch.

Yes, it can help, supposedly. Check out the video i posted here:
He basically says that excess cells will be burnt during fasting that you can't burn when on a simple calorie deficite. He says this can also apply to excess skin from fatties losing tons of weight.

However, keep in mind that your body will be burning all of your other fat too, so simply fastinf for a day or two wont immediately shink your tits first thing. Fasting will help remove tough fat in areas that regular dieting wont, though.

You might consider taking some Yohimbine pills while fasting. I've heard they can help directly affect stubborn fat areas like tiddies and belly fat.

Been doing IF for years now, recently started doing 48-72hr fast to help me get to single digit body fat sooner than usual. Been working out fine so far, abs popping out, EC stack making me less hungry and more hyper. I always watched Dr.Fung to help give me that push when im fasting.

Why do 2-3 day fat? Saw this guy wrote a post doing it and he got shredded so why not me?
imgur.com/cTzYJHk

Do you have his post (on leddit I believe)? I recognize this but I want to re-read.

yeah, didnt want to post the link cause leddit but here

reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/356gyl/results_with_pics_of_my_accelerated_lean_gains_cut/

starving yourself general. Almost pointless to do if you have a real job. A little fasting on off days is okay. Fasting is great if you don't care about strength as most people who do it can't bench 3 plate

>According to Dr. Fung

What organization does he belong to?

Hating reddit is for /b/tards mostly, if you ignore the sjw autism and political bias its actually a goldmine for some topics. Thanks for link, thats the one I had in mind.

Why would it matter as long as you're eating enough?

This is a common misconception. Once your body is used to it you can eat 1 hearty meal a day no problem and fast until the next day until you eat again. Fung-Fu is all about depriving your cells of insulin so that they lower their tolerance to the hormone. Once you eat again you won't need to eat as much because you won't need as much insulin to get the same effect. Its still calories in calories out but with much greater efficiency.

We're talking about science that is going to cure diabetes. The hospitals and food industry fucking hate this guy and I love it.

OP from the daily reminder from yesterday here btw. I did not expect someone to make a thread before me! Good shit.

Anyways, today I was going to open with why processed carbohydrates are bad and natural carbs aren't as bad. Fung explains that fiber is the antidote to toxic carbohydrates. Whenever you find carbs in nature you find fiber. The problem with is that when all these carbohydrates (whole grains, sugars, fruits) are refined they lose most of their fiber and protein. Therefore you are getting the toxin without the antidote which causes the problem. In theory, so long as you're eating natural carbs that aren't refined, you should be good.

Fuck it, I made the thread anyways.
>

Doing 16/8. I think it's going pretty well.

Will stuff like Mio, 5 hour energy shots, etc. break my fast? I see a lot of people say coffee is okay but I don't drink that.

I have been fasting long term, 14 to 21 days, once a year, usually in the Spring, for almost 10 years. I am still alive and healthy.

The first few days are always difficult and I feel miserable, as my body reacts to the stress. Weakness, joint paint, hunger, everything. I eat some light soup or broth once a day to soothe things out.

Then pain and hunger disappear completely. I'm not saying I'm at the top of my form, but I feel good. I can still do light cardio, and it is recommended to do so: I can run 4-5 km or swim half an hour daily without any problem (and I feel good afterwards). I haven't tried lifting for fear of lightheadedness under the weights, but it should be doable with caution. I keep drinking a lot of water, and sleep well.

After a progressive return to normal alimentation, spread over several days, I cannot observe any significant reduction in strength, stamina, or in muscle mass as observed in measuring the girth of my limbs (body parts with the less fat in my case). A decrease in belly fat and love handles is measurable. However, because fat is so energy dense, I have never recorded more than a few kg of weight loss over the fast, going for instance from 67 kg to 63 kg. Any larger weight loss would IMO be indicative of water loss, and sign that I have not hydrated enough.

Fasting is a legitimate way for fat people to slowly eat their fat away, and it has been applied with success in medical settings, with the longest reported fast being over one year long for a severely obese patient. The fast was supposed to be much shorter, but the patient was satisfied by it and agreed to keep fasting. Needless to say that such fasts must not be attempted without medical supervision.

Since I am not fat, it is not weight loss I am looking for in a fast, but the other beneficial health effects it brings, which are now documented in a sizeable body of peer-reviewed medical literature.

(cont.)

I can confirm from reading this medical literature that at 48 or 72 fast brings none of those beneficial health effects, and all of the terrible feelings associated with the beginning of a fast. I wouldn't recommend such a short fast.

AMA, I guess.

IF should be minimum 18/6

16/8 is a waste of time

I like the idea a lot of IF. Not only because of insulin management and getting leaner, but also because it can potentially make me more focused and productive when I actually fast.

Everytime I eat a lunch at work I feel like I'm almost passing out from lethargy. Hate that.

What advise do you folks have in combatting light headedness and/or nausea during fasting? I'm still a noob so we're talking 16/8 here

I've been doing 16/8 (or recently more like 18/6 or 20/4 some days) for about 48 days. The first two weeks were tough. Now, I forget about eating lunch, hence the longer fast.

Now, I have zero willpower. zero. every other diet i've tried has been a miserable failure. I start at 328 lbs and have dropped 30 by doing mild exercise (C25K, light cycling, walking).

Here's the way I looked at this. You can find people saying "X amount of calories won't break your fast"

a. unless they have done clinical trials to see how 50 calories affects your PERSONAL insulin production, they don't have a fucking clue.

b. is that 5 hour energy really worth it?

Just drink fucktons of water. I pee like every half an hour like clockwork. but I don't feel "hunger pains" anymore.

I'm going to be at 180lbs by December and am never going to live any other way than with IF. once my kids are a little older we're going to start them on IF as well.

I'm not an expert, but I have watched every fung video and every other IF video out there, as well as read as many articles as I could, including using my university library to find peer-reviewed studies. People can say IF is a meme, but I'm proof that this shit is the way humans were meant to live.

How does 18/6 and 20/4 work, especially when at work, do you have a snack and dinner?

I can do lunch and dinner on 16/8 but less than 8h sounds like really short for two sit-down meals

Fucking retarded faggot.

I just eat my lunch at like 2-3 in the afternoon. I pack a lunch that is ALWAYS:

7oz of ground turkey or 7oz of shredded chicken breast

3oz of broccoli

3oz of another veggie for variety

works good man

Best part about eating two meals is how much time I save in the morning. Get up, brush my teeth, grab coffee and out the door.

Seriously. I shaved off 30 minutes of my morning routine, which I can dedicate to more sleep.

Nicely done, we needed a good transition. I am a huge fan of these daily fasting / fung-fu / IF / Funfag threads.

New thread:

>
>
>

>
>
>

This thread is far from being at bump limit, why the hell did some retard create a new one

anyone experience lower sex drive while on a fast? I've been 16/8 IF for 4 weeks and i felt my sex drive go down.

My sex drive is dead atm but I am pretty sure it is because I am doing a 1000 kcal deficit and not because of the IF. I was doing IF last year on maintenance and was fine in that regard.

Yes, I thought it was normal

Look on the bright side: less time spend wanking and chasing girls, more time in the gym!

ok yeah i'm on a 1000 calorie deficit as well so that's probably it.

I think sex drive would be the first function to go down when living on a calorie restriction diet. Sounds logic.

right on, thanks for tips and video