So what is Veeky Forums's chosen barbell? I'm upgrading home gym and want an ideal once and forever bar...

So what is Veeky Forums's chosen barbell? I'm upgrading home gym and want an ideal once and forever bar. Mostly strength training, maybe power Oly movements. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

roguefitness.com/the-ohio-bar
roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar-20-kg
roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar
roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-wl-bar
garagegymreviews.com/2016/04/26/2016-barbell-guide/
roguefitness.com/stainless-steel-ohio-bar
roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-deadlift-bar
roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0
cyberfit.de/cf/daten/tomspdf/HowtobreakAnOlympicBar.pdf
americanbarbell.com/products/american-barbell-performance-training-bar
amazon.com/Marcy-Weight-Bench-Cage-Home/dp/B01GQPW2XA/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if i were gonna build a home gym id prolly buy a rogue ohio bar

This, because murican made.

I have a Pendlay HD bushing bar for oly lifting that is excellent, and a Rogue Ohio power bar that is also excellent.

Would recommend both. What sort of lifting do you do? How seriously?

I am doing 5/3/1 BBB, but not committed to it. Have been lifting for a while. Looking to do major upgrade and buy one bar, using current bar as beater for this and that. Feel like center knurling is a good idea, but could be talked out of it. Just for context, have nice set of Ivanko deep dish plates to put on it. So not looking for cap or something bottom shelf like that. $300 or so is my expectation, but open to big money if it's worth it. But honestly a $1200 bar seems so far into diminishing returns that I won't likely go there, or if I do, it'll be on the used market for $450 or so.

Over B&R bar? I like B&R for the knurl and raw steel feel. But open to suggestions.

ive pretty much only used eleiko personally, how does the quality compare to rogue ohio?

>thinking there's a difference between identical metal bars because of their name

I like the long metal kind, You know, because they are all fucking the same you stupid fuck.

Fuck you you fucking fuck. If you'd tried shitty half-assed knurling you'd know. Whip and tensile strength is stupid, but slick bars are shit. Truth.

roguefitness.com/the-ohio-bar
From what I hear this a pretty good general purpose bar, and I can vouch for rogue being good quality. It doesn't have the center knurling though.

They've got a stainless option which I like. Still not 100% on the no center knurling bit, but that's basically the only difference between it and B&R. Seriously dunno what that does or doesn't contribute.

Whip and tensile strength is pretty important when you get to serious weights. Squating heavy with a whippy bar is a bitch.

>being so novice that you cant notice subtle differences in bars that affect your lifts positively and negatively

How do you squat? I find the center knurl only really matters for heavy low bar squatting.

roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar-20-kg
That's the one I have, for reference.

B&R is probably a good choice though. I hadn't considered that because they aren't available here in kangaroo land.

I mostly high bar. I'm not competing, and high bar is generally comfy. Honestly it's mostly about getting it right so I don't have regrets.

True, and I agree. But a distant second to a quality bar and feel overall vs hurr-durr it's maybe 45 and fits on the rack. I have a shit bar that holds weight okay. And honestly it's probably good enough. I want to get into choosing good knurling and whip and everything else so I don't end up with a cheese grater or a weird Oly noodle.

If you're doing oly movements, you want a 28mm diameter.

Center knurling is optional, depends if you want to do single armed barbell exercises (like old school 1 handed snatches)

you'll probably want a bar with the olympic and powerlifting knurl marks

make sure it's 20kg

you also want a decent bearing

you cant go wrong with rogue fitness, eleiko, york barbells

In that case, consider just the regular Ohio bar. You shouldn't need to center knurl when you high bar squat, and it can be a little irritating for ohp.

Yeah, I'm blessed in that respect. Spoiled for choice. Hence the question. Too many options and the distinctions are too fine. Don't want to regret anything when I spend the money.

Duly noted. I don't see myself doing old school shit just for the cred. Nor do I see going all metric just to compete. But definitely 20kg and so on just because that's the standard and I like consistency and accuracy on my gear.

Is it that bad for OHP? Current bar has shit knurling, but center hasn't bugged me so far on OHP. Would that and maybe doing power cleans outweigh the option of low bar in the future? It seems like it boils down to that and I dunno how the calculus works out for an all-rounder kind of bar.

>tfw my cheap Dick's barbell isn't broken yet

I feel so weak when I think about it. It's supposed to be 300 max but I've deadlifted 335 and it didn't even bend.

Also, bare steel or stainless? Any difference in the feel?

Well, if you have center knurling that hasn't bothered you so far, it shouldn't bother you in the future. I personally find it annoying but if you don't then go for the B&R. It'll be alright for power cleans and power snatches too.

Bare steel is probably best, as long as you take care of it. Regular oiling and cleaning. Only reason I wouldn't get bare steel would be if you are in a very humid area.

I'm with you. I dunno where this dude bought the one I'm using, but I want to be confident in it. Like knowing it won't snap when I do something stupid. I can lift heavier than it's rated for and it hasn't broken, I just don't like having the question in the back of my mind.

Georgia and basement. But seems manageable. I'm not on a coast with salty air or anything, and I've got time to look after gear.

Get the B&R then, mate.

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. Cheers

rogue ohio power, black zinc

roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar

>no whip
>aggressive knurling
>black zinc coating deters rust
>205k tensile strength means no perma bend ever ever

i own this bar in bare steel. get the zinc. there's a bit of oxidation going on on my bar, even though that doesn't really affect it much.

knurl is slightly less aggressive with the black bar, but only slight. other than that it's the same. for reference too the fucking bare steel bar is like fucking spikes, no slip callous machine. i love it personally.

Interesting! Power bar over regular Ohio bar? Or not that big a difference?

I love this bar. Of course it's my first bar but It seems very versitile and can handle most lifts very well. Really wanna buy another bar to compare though

not that big a difference. differences are as follows:

>ohio power bar is slightly more thick
>ohio power bar has slightly longer sleeves for MOAR PL8S
>ohio has power lifting knurl marks, and a center knurling for squats, but a gap in between so diddys don't kill, where as ohio basic has dual knurl marks for different kind of lifting, which makes little sense since the bar is not an oly style lifting bar because no whip

and the price. different options for finishes and all that.

i prefer the thicker bar for grip gainz, and i find that power lifting knurl marks are the closest to basic knurl marks you'd see in any decent gym.

the quality just can't be beat. you notice the different in craftsmanship fucking immediately.

Hurt for presses? I kinda shy away from power bars because cheese grater knurling, but curious.

OHP? bench? nah. so long as you're not a mongoloid lifting with retard form dragging it across your chest. i never had an issue with it.

the closest i got to fucking myself up is diddys, because i was going sumo for keks.

So now it sounds like Ohio, Ohio power, and B&R. Nobody suggesting crazy Eleiko shit or anything. Thoughts there? I guess you've addressed the Ohio vs Ohio power gap, but any input on B&R? Has bare steel been a pain?

What about rogue oly wl bars. They look really nice prob my next bar.

E.g.?

roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-wl-bar

Over Ohio or b&r as an all purpose bar?

Prob not honestly I love my Ohio bar. You can't go wrong with any rogue bar honestly. Has anyone used the cheap echo bar?

>Eleiko
>Werksan

I saw some fancy Ivankos for $450 but ow.

Straight barbells make you gay!! Pic related me training to wrestle foam pythons

B&r bar is essentially the ohio bar but with dual marks and a center knurling, so you essentially get the ohio basic and power in one. I believe the knurl is less aggressive as well.

It's a slippery slope.

Also as i mentioned in an earlier post, I've had my bar steel bar about a year now, and there's a slight bit of oxidation hereby in the knurl a bit (sort of brown rust-like characteristic)

The website says get a nice metal wire brush and some 3 in 1 oil for upkeep. I haven't done it yet since a bought it and the oxidation. Is really minor. Doesn't affect the bars performance at all, but you'd want to do it if you live in a more humid climate.

The dual purpose spear bell is the only way to go/

garagegymreviews.com/2016/04/26/2016-barbell-guide/

Strengthshop Bastard Bar
Your options are limited as fuck in yuroand if you are not ready to shell out a shitload for an Eleiko

Yeah, I think the availability of stainless in the Ohio bar is the one thing giving me pause from bare steel. I'm happy to do the upkeep but do worry a bit. Then again I've seen a couple bare bars in gyms nearby and they seemed fine. Just kinda showed their use more. Not shiny forever.

My gym has an Eleiko PL and Oly bar.
I like the Oly bar for power cleans and OHP (I clean and press), and the PL bar for everything else. The Oly bar feels weird on my back when squatting low bar, and the knurling isn't as aggressive. For a home gym I'd buy a PL bar.

roguefitness.com/stainless-steel-ohio-bar
Ohio as for it's stiffness for everything except deadlift. Awesome knurl, deep and sharp. Best protection against oxidation. Will not bend under weight and is great for squats.

roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-deadlift-bar

Ohio deadlift for deadlift because of its whip. Good knurl that will not let you down.

roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0

Rogue 2.0 is basically a better version of their normal Ohio bar and best for anything general like bench or curls and Romanian deadlifts. Basically this is a great jack of all trades type

1 inch bar from amazon, save money

buy some lead pipe

save money!

I have a chan bar.

Pretty aggressive knurl, but you can get used to it after a couple of weeks.

Is it bad if I want another bar only for the simple reason of to try new bars. Always been home gym so never tried anything but my Ohio bar. I love the feel and look of it just want a couple more bars

This look like a good bar ?

>you know it.

>rogue

Rogue bars are overpriced pieces of shit.

Go with a Cap OB-86, (1500 lbs test, 30 mm, center knurling and very little whip) You can buy them brand new for under $150.

Worst shrine ever

Yea sure kid. You can also buy a rogue echo bar for same price.

it wont bend, it will break. and then its all over. DO NOT GO OVER THE MAXIMUM LOAD INDICATED YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE

cyberfit.de/cf/daten/tomspdf/HowtobreakAnOlympicBar.pdf

Eleiko if you got the money
but if i would make a home gym i would buy rogue bars.

Holy shit, you collect empty beer bottles? I didn't even do that as a teenager.

No you can't, Echo bar is about $50 more whippy as shit and doesn't have a center knurl. Keep buying the hype fan boy.

b&r isnt stainless steel, it's bare

its probably brittle then, good bars flex, cheap ones will just get to their limit and snap

How poor are you exactly? By that logic my local Wal-Mart has screw together bars. Prob holds more weight than you will ever lift anyways. Buy it once but it for life fag.

Cap OB 86 is a 1500 lb bar.

Sorry you lack the knowledge to research products.

Sorry you need fancy plastic end caps to make you feel good about yourself.

You're probably the type that spends more time thinking about lifting than actually lifting.

It's fucks like you that have turned lifting into the cesspool of dog shit that it is.

>muh masculine stoicism
Nobody gives a fuck you sourgrapes poorfag

Why don't they only use cap at events? That's crazy it's always eleiko or rogue. Must be because it's junk right. Stay poor kid. If you can't afford 300$ maybe you shouldn't build a home gym

>not knowing even the basics of metalworking
You faggot, I bet you think that carbon steel is somehow a special kind of steel. There are differences in manufacturing techniques, source materials, and alloys- that can greatly affect the overall performance of the bar. And that isnt even touching on the differences in the actual shape and construction of the bar. A couple grams of carbon, or a few degrees, can make the difference in metalworking.
t. Welder/Machinist by trade

americanbarbell.com/products/american-barbell-performance-training-bar

Rogue is poverty compared to Eleiko

Sponserships and precision.

Last I looked you don't need that in your garage. We are talking about a home gym faggot, not an Olympic event. Do you really think it'll make a difference in your lifts? You are both ignorant and arrogant. But at least your setup will look like you lift.

Poorfag? I got more custom equipment than you'll ever dream of.

Holy shit user thank you. I'm getting a new bar, no more deadlifts with this one.

Well Wal-Mart jeans and shoes work too. Why don't you strictly buy goodwill or Wal-Mart clothes?

Ohio Power bar, not the regular Ohio bar.
It's got a center knurl and slightly more aggressive knurling in general.

OP here. Don't buy, find a gym that'll let you drop in and lists their bars. I went and tried a bunch at a local gym, though didn't pay for a drop in so I didn't lift with them, just kinda felt them up to get an idea. I get the impulse though. In the end, differences are minor overall, meaningful if you're reaching the point where those small differences add up.

Curious if you've got thoughts on how to spec a good bar for general strength training with some power movements here and there. I mean, besides the stuff on the websites. Is there some more technical info I should be taking into account?

Any major benefits to that over B&R? I know the knurling is more aggressive, and probably less maintenance, but that's about all I can tell.

exactly. go to any gym and most those bars are already a dark brown color, and that's from years and years of use. nothing that would destroy them.

My dicks bar is exactly why i upgraded to a rogue bar.

Mine actually does have a permabend in it from just 300lb diddys. there's also barely any knurl on that fucking shit. dreadful. not broken, but definitely a super beginner bar. i plan on giving it to a friend when he finally gets a rack up.

anything and everything is an upgrade to that shit. even those cap bars.

Right. My one big concern is if I have to take a 3 month hiatus or something and don't keep up with oiling it. Dunno how long it takes for them to turn nasty. And to be fair, shiny forever is appealing in its own way.

do you think it's kinda weird that this website looks almost exactly like rogues

yeah, though personally i kinda like seeing it slowly turn, showing it's use. like my progress is showing on the bar.

i said somewhere earlier in this thread like 2 days ago that i haven't oiled my bar in like a year since i bought it and it's only very slight. i can take a pic of what it looks like if you want. 3 month hiatus is nothing to worry about. i live right on the coast in new england. so long as it's not sitting the fuck outside you're fine.

Yeah if you're willing. I haven't seen a one person bare steel bar, just ones that get used all the damn time in gyms. Doubt it'd be all that different, but nice to have another data point.

i took 3 total, one of pretty much the whole bar, what the sleeve looks like after a year of putting on and taking off cast iron plates, and the center knurling which is where the worst of the oxidation lies.

this is after a year of no maintenance whatsoever. sleeves still spin like a dream too.

when you look at the whole bar you wouldn't notice anything.

here's the sleeve, with only little spots. the sleeves on i believe all of these bars are slightly ribbed to hold collars better, but that shit ends up getting ground up a bit due to whatever plates you use.

i use the shitty dicks cast iron plates, and they have no plastic or rubber lining in their hole, so it just grates with the metal on the bar. your results may vary depending on what you use, i just use whats cheapest because weight is weight, but the bar was something i didn't skimp out on.

echo bar checking in. ohio bar is prob more appropriate for regular use but i'm pretty casual dyel and my budget is tight so the echo works for me. happy with it.

and the center knurling. i imagine this started from squatting without a shirt on, and the salt from the sweat reacting on the bar over time.

but from what i understand, if i ever actually bother to clean this thing, this will go away, or at least look way better after cleaning. it in no way affects the bars performance.

Oh wow. That's nothing. I thought it'd look a lot rougher but that's still shiny. Noted!

yeah man. rogue bars are fucking champs all around. i would've gone for the black zinc since it looked cool and was less maintenance, but i was on a budget. never looked back and it never let me down.

be prepared to wrestle with the packaging for a fucking hour though, they pack these things in a giant extremely hard cardboard tube stapled shut with thick tin ends.

What's your rack there?

amazon.com/Marcy-Weight-Bench-Cage-Home/dp/B01GQPW2XA/

Got it because sports authority had it on sale for like 250, and because it was small enough for the space i bought it for. it was nothing special, but it does the job just fine. has a pulley for accesories, dip bars, pull up bar... you can pretty much do anything you want in it. for 350 though, there's much better for that price. namely anything by titan.

Having bought rogue before, would you do the same for a rack? I have one now but will upgrade after the barbell. Not sure if Rogue welds, powder coat, and heavier attachment points are worth the extra cash over Titan though.

novice lifter here but so far the echo is nice, no complaints. my first bar and my first homegym though, so take my opinino with a grain of salt

Buy elieko.

/thread

Rogue is great if you dont mind spending and actually plan on lifting to 1/2/3/4 and beyond. Cant go wrong.

Most people here are natty and want modest gains that will most likely take a long time to achieve. You may be lifting moderate numbers for a few years, and if so, shit like titan will be perfect.

Id buy rogue if you knew you were gonna be squatting like 350+ on the regular. Every other lift doesnt really need that extra capacity. Diddys are done off the floor, so you dont exactly need a rack for that at all.

Id go titan for practical reasons. Pulley system is convenient as all fuck for bis and tris. Id recommend.