Lets say you're transported to cisalpine gaul in the 1st century BC with just what you had on you on a typical day

Lets say you're transported to cisalpine gaul in the 1st century BC with just what you had on you on a typical day.

What would you be able to do? What inventions could you realistically come up with on your own? Would you make ends meet? Or make a fortune?

Combine sulfur and charcoal to make gunpowder, sell the gunpowder to mercenaries, travel to Greece, learn Greek and proceed to sell my early gunpowder recipe to the government in new Rome, make a fortune and settle down.

did you just assume my form of alpine gaul expression?

>1st century BC
>new Rome government

Also you forgot the saltpeter and where would you get the sulphur?

Gunpowder requires saltpeter too. Do you know how to identify and gather that ?

The fuck are you talking about user? Are you being a smartass?

I would take my high school mathematics knowledge and revolutionize things like Algebra and invent a basic form of calculus.

Piss off, strawman

Boil cow dung.

Well seeing as my fitbod would probably but everyone to shame, i would probably try to untie the gauls and run a train on italys ass
Also get my conquered scholars to make a basic written language for celtic and italian nobles, get all the druids together and force them to write shit down and centralize the religion, LEAVE SPECIFIC ORDERS TO NOT SPLIT MY EMPIRE BETWEEN MY SONS AND BEG AND PLED TO MY SONS TO NOT SPLIT THE EMPIRE UP LIKE RETARDS

I would eke out a miserable existence with the aid of a pocket knife and bic lighter until i died of some disease, starvation or was captured into slavery

idk um, how good is your average liquor back in 100 BC Veneto? I carry a steel flask full of single malt scotch, two knives, a powerful flashlight, some paracord and ten copper coins. I have a long wool scarf atm and two pairs of pants, good socks, all my clothing is modern.

The first thing I do is walk east towards the Adriatic, hoping to eventually find some fish and a vessel. I'm only speaking basic romance and church Latin to people, but if I get the chance I write down a long text in English. If I make a fortune I'll try to settle in Armorica.

So you just get a big pot full of watery shit and boil it and presto, you have saltpeter?

I invent paper.

It's easy to make out of used linen as long as you have piss, water and ash and cheap as shit...literally. I could collect the used up linen rags they use in provincial public shit rooms for free and make paper with it.

Although I'd have to be careful if literally any latin speaking person figures out how I make it they'll probably steal the formula and Romans, nepotistic cunts that they are, will give him money.

Become their god through the power of smartphones, at least until the battery dies.

They'd stab you and take the smartphone.

It's like Baltimore.

this
There were laws back then and shit user but remember that people got killed for inane trivial things all the time.

A serious thing people aren't taking into account is that none of you speak what they spoke back then, nor do you look like they did back then. You'd be a babbling barbarian-looking idiot to them and they'd probably just kill you.

I'm Irish and Northern Italian, blonde curly hair and blue eyes. I'd fit right in.

>There were laws back then and shit
Those were really more like suggestions since there was no actual police force in Rome or anywhere else. If it was a large city you could kill someone in broad daylight and it wouldn't be a problem if the person killed didn't have family/friends that cared enough to hire people to get your ass to the courtroom because again, there was no police force.

>I'd fit right into a German village.

You're in Romanized Gaul user, Northern Italy.

>blonde curly hair
>blue eyes
>i'd fit right in
Yeah, no. Also, you don't have a Roman haircut, you're not as short as a Roman would have been and you don't dress like a Roman. You'd appear to them as a babbling barbarian.

What do you think northern Italians look like? They're blonde and blue eyed, a ton of them have curly hair.

>try to bring down the wrath of Jupiter on them with the flashlight app and ringtone settings
>get javelin'd because of your barbarian witchcraft

Ok bud

try and learn Latin. Make a living as a soothsayer by predicting roman future? Die?

The fact that Northern Italians look like western and central Europeans more than they look like southern Europeans is not up for debate, they are a different people and the distinction between southern and northern Italian people is a common one to make.

Feel free to sit there drooling at your computer though.

We'd all either bring a terrible future plague or die of a terrible past disease.
Oh, and die a homeless vagrant because none of us can speak any of the languages well enough to survive.

Realize in 30 minutes that I can't function like a normal human without a power outlet and internet connection near me at all times and then lapse into insanity.

Not that user but the previous poster. The point I was trying to make is that northern Italy circa 1st c. BC is highly romanized populated by a mix of native hauls and Roman settlers. It isn't full of fair haired golden maned gauls at that time. IIRC of course.

Bump

I’m a brainlet who doesn’t know about Roman history

Bump