When Danes and Germans invaded England did they kill the English or did they mix with them...

When Danes and Germans invaded England did they kill the English or did they mix with them ? How comes that Danes and Germans cooperated to invade England ?

>it's a "user confusing Britain with England" episode again

The tribes who invaded/settled after the Romans WERE the English.

The Germans (Deutsch) is a people that came to existence in the 9th century

What you're thinking of is Germanics, a totally different concept althouh their names in English are similar

WE

Germans already existed at the time of Caesar.

De Bello Gallico, Chapter 31, Caesar
>On that account he had fled from his state and had gone to the senate at Rome to beseech aid, as he alone was bound neither by oath nor hostages. But a worse thing had befallen the victorious Sequani than the vanquished Aedui, for Ariovistus the king of the Germans, had settled in their territories, and had seized upon a third of their land, which was the best in the whole of Gaul, and was now ordering them to depart from another third part, because a few months previously 24,000 men of the Harudes had come to him, for whom room and settlements must be provided.

>WE

For fucks sake. Look up why England is called England.

Once again, a confusion between Germans (Deutsch) and Germanics (Germanisch)
It's very common among English speakers

I can assure you that the word Deutsch and the concept it defines (what we call Germans nowdays) was nowhere near a thing in Caesar's era

So...

When Danes and GermanICS invaded England did they kill the English or did they with them ?

How comes that Danes and GermanICS cooperated to invade England ?

Btw, the Danes are Germanic too
But the Danes were already a people back then, the same as now

So it's:

The Danes (Germanics from Scandinavia), and the Angles/Saxons (Germanics from current Germany and Poland, who weren't yet Germans) invaded England

>Angles/Saxons invaded England

user...

The “germanics” that invaded Britain with the “Danes” were actually more Norse than Germanic. Both angles and Saxons were Norse peoples, so very little Germanic influence happened.
As to why they cooperated, well the angles and Saxons were on good terms and neither of them was confident in a solo invasion.
As to killing the natives, this was a very decentralised movement, different groups likely acted differently.

Brainlet pls

I bet you think England was always called like that and that the Anglo-Saxons are its native people, don't you?

Short answer: Same blood, same language, same customs, same gods.
Also, the Danes weren't involved. The Jutes were however, who lived in Jutland. They were different tribes at this time.

Saxons, Angles and Jutes still spoke proto-germanic, while the Danes, Geats, Suiones and Norwegians had started speaking proto-norse (still pretty similiar languages though).

No, the exact opposite...

I hope you know that the Danes invaded the Anglo Saxon kingdoms of the british isles hundreds of years after the Angles and Saxons and Juts invaded the Britons

This thread sure is retarded.

>Also, the Danes weren't involved

What are the Angles ?

Angles weren't danes. Why would you think that?

Yes they are

No they're not. Jutland didn't become Danish until the early middle ages. The Danes lived on Sealand at this time.

mixed/assimilated, so merely germanic speaking celts

HURRRRRR DUUUUUURTRTTT
*shits self*

>tfw danish but look like an anglo

Danes only invaded England during the Viking era.
Your thinking of jutes

>tfw Anglo but look like a Dane
:)

“Germans”, that is Anglo-Saxons, and Danes both invaded Britain in spectate waves that were hundreds of years apart, the Anglo-Saxon invasions were in 5th-6th centuries whereas the Norse/Danish invasions were in the 8th-9th centuries.

They Angles, Saxons, and to a lesser extent the Jutes were the predecessors to the English (Angle=Anglish=English) so to say that they invaded “England” is fucking retarded since southern Britain at the time was inhabited by Romanized Brythonic and Latin speaking Celtic people (Romano-Britons)

You also seem to not understand what exactly Germanic people are as an ethno-linguistic group so I suggest you take a quick trip to Wikipedia so you’re less of a massive fucking rested next time you decide to grace this board with another thread

And then the French invaded

Lol could they not come up with some better writing?

That makes sense. Thanks.

>were the predecessors to the English
No.

English don't look "Germanic". They are most likely the descendants of assimilated natives as said there

Even English as a "Germanic" language only uses Germanic syntax with shitload of French vocabulary and the imbecilic French-like pronounciation.

Agreed, here's the superior version

English are Germanic as are Danes, however the danes were north Germanic tribes which became the Norse and the Anglo-Saxons were western Germanic tribes which became English. The DNA composition is similar however the R1b haplogroup is more present in English people due to the Britons.

It's likely the Anglo-Saxons caused wholesale displacement of Britons on the east coast and gradually assimilated towards the west. It's unlikely all the celts were killed due to celtic DNA being the second largest contributor in the English gene pool

Your pic show that English are mainly Welsh and unrelated to Germanic(Norwegian) whose main component is light blue.

By the way, wales is that part on the left in case you couldn't see.
Welsh are genetically different to the English as they were never invaded by Germanics, hence the absence of the I1 haplogroup

Only Brainlets claim English isn't a Germanic language because of the percentage of words in the dictionary of romance origin.
Keep in mind lots of those romance Origin words are rarely used every day speech.

You know how much of Europe has R1B right?

Both Africa and America look like the picture on the right on average and you know it.

Nobody says English isn't germanic wtf.

I’d need more than two hands to count the romance words in your post.
But yes, English is a Germanic language

East Anglia is the only part of England that isn't full of Celtomutts.

Sorry I'm under the impression that you're some sort of hardcore race revisionist who wants to undo hundreds of years of documented history on the grounds that a select few English people don't look like a cherry picked bunch of Germans

>0.4%

I mean it is Germanic because the syntax is Germanic, that's what I said.
It's the pronounciation that is thoroughly un-Germanic. Compare the pronounciation of German Jude, Dutch Jood, Norwegian Jode, English Jew and French Juif. Notice how English pronounce the "J", which fucking Germanic language does that? It's a complete catastrophe of a tongue.

I seen some Wikipedia linguists claim it a couple a few times

>Keep in mind lots of those romance Origin words are rarely used every day speech.

That's bullshit
Germanics are the "most common words" because all of the structure words (the, at, to, it, of...etc) are Germanic, but among the verbs/nouns/adjectives, it's almost 50-50 between Romance and Germanic

Therefore you will have Romance words in almost every sentences, so claiming they're rarely used is dumb

What university do you need to go to to become a Wikipedia linguist?

>WE WUZ KANG ARTHUR N SHIEET
No you were barbaric uncivilized g*rmanics who destroyed Roman cities and murdered the good peoples

Fuck
*I seen some Wikipedia linguists claim it a few times

Just skim through a few Wikipedia articles on languages and you'll get your masters degree in no time

My ancestor :)

I was thoroughly convinced John Oliver is either a Jew or some Mediterranean muttling, I looked up his ancestry and it's literally all English. The same with Rowan Atkinson, he comes from a long line of Anglican priests. Russell Brand also, pure English background.
Ironically David Beckham who looks like a Dane actually has Jewish ancestry. Imagine that Anglos are so so shitskinned that mixing with a kike actually makes them whiter.

Sorry I'm under the impression that you're an aryan supremacist whose insecure about their hair and eye color

>shitskinned
>rules the world

>rules the third-world

FTFYed that for you

>India, Africa, Australia
So you ruled your fellow shitskins.

Never claimed all romance words are rarely used.
Obviously many of them are.
But there are many romance word that are very technical and really used that still get counted when people try to see what percentage of English words are from what origin.

>implying all other countries weren't vassals

okay, That's one letter.
That's like saying german pronunciation isn't very Germanic because they pronounce w as v now.

>using a gif from a film made by your former colony about how you got BTFO
Imagine being this cucked

There's two preeminent theories the traditional and apartheid view
Traditional: The Anglo-Saxons killed and displaced the celts from England to Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. This is corroborated by the Anglo-Saxon historians Gildas and Bede who wrote about how the Britons were massacred. This also explains why England is so genetically similar to Germany

Apartheid view: This may be a case of revisionism based on shaky genetic results but it suggests the Anglo-Saxons outbred the celts as the dominant class to the point of near extinction.
(Pic not related I just love Alfred The Great)

Btw here's what the guy in that gif is known for

>General Charles O'Hara (1740 – 25 February 1802) was a British military officer who served in the Seven Years' War, American War of Independence, and French Revolutionary War, and later served as Governor of Gibraltar.

>During his career O'Hara personally surrendered to both George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte.

>*made by your former colony about how they were cucks
FIFY

Btw huge Anglo-Saxoboo here so I'm going to post more pics
St Oswald of Northumbria

St Augustine converts the Anglo-Saxons

0.4% = 40%

It's just dumb geneticists wanting to show off

>it's just one letter
>not pronouncing the "k" in "knife" or "knight"
>not being able to pronounce voiceless velar fricative (German and Dutch "ch")
>pronouncing -au like the French do (compare the French, English and German pronounciation of "Paul")
There's a shitload of examples

Lindisfarne gospels are precious

Anglo-Saxons > Normans
They were backwards brutes who introduced the antiquated system if feudalism onto a prosperous nation and leeched off the systems of law and governance for use back at home
Anglo-Saxon era is my favourite era of English history if you couldn't tell. No wonder Tolkien loved it so much

No invasion in history is even total enough that the invaders replace the native population. A Viking army was maybe a couple thousand men, you had maybe a dozen of those running around, but even a high number like 100,000 Vikings wouldn’t be enough to totally displace the native population which contains millions. Replacing the genetic composition of the native population is a meme, only happens in extreme circumstances and even then the worst you get is a bunch of mutts if some sort of mass extinction event happens i.e. Aztecs, that’s probably one of the bes cases for “replacing a population” in world history and all they really managed was a little Spanish influence on what is still mostly a Native American population. Mexicans today are more Native than Spanish because even in a situation like that where everything goes right for the invaders, they STILL can’t replace the population, and you think a few raiders had a significant-enough impact to completely displace the genetic population of England?
That’s a meme in every circumstance and in every context that shitty argument is made

The k in knight and knife once was pronounced k but stop for what ever reason. Just English spelling is quite outdated.
There's also a shit load of example where it sounds more Germanic than French.
I can't pronounce many French word correctly like I can't pronounce many german words correctly.

This. While Anglo-Saxons may have had a significant impact compared to other historical examples, there's still a lot of other DNA present

>The k in knight and knife once was pronounced k but stop for what ever reason.
I know it was. Original Old English was a fully Germanic language. Modern English sounds like a Frenchman trying to pronounce Dutch while also replacing half the vocabulary.

The "k" is pronunced in French, and English does not sound like French at all.

I'm pretty sure it was pronounced with a k in Shakespearian English as well.
That's just your opinion I don't think it sounds French

Where did Italian and Iberian come from?

Was there ever any event where the invaders displaced the population other than North America, where 90% of Indians got wrecked by an apocalypse tier plague even before the Anglos came?

That’s probably the worst example but my point is that even then, the 10% of natives left still outnumbered the Spanish immigrants, and so the natives are still the majority of modern Mexican DNA

Also where did Greek come from? I've heard of an old English legend from Geoffery of Monmouth that Britain was founded by the Greek princess Albiona and the Trojan Prince Brutus but it's probably fantasy

That’s definitely a fantasy. It’s the oldest meme in the book to try to link your ruling family to some Ancient Greek or Roman figures, mythical or not. Everyone in Europe did it, everyone was arguing they were either the descendants of Caesar or Alexander

Frogs were special because they LARPed as Trojans. So did the Romans for that matter.

Romans thought that they were natives mixed with Trojans. And it could be accurate because of the bronze age collapse

>And it could be accurate
No, they literally LARPed as Trojans only because they read a certain Greek fanfiction.

People for thousands of years thought that Troy was a made up place

I always thought rome was founded by exiled Trojans

Cool. Does that refute anything what I said? Please tell me about anyone in Italy claiming to be Trojan before they were introduced to the Illiad.
In fact Troy was a fucking backwater and the Illiad is the only reason we even consider it more significant than other random Luwian shitholes on the Anatolian coast. We ascribe significance to backwaters like Troy or Jerusalem simply because literature that influenced our culture mentions them a lot.

Mark of a brainlet.

Can't even take your post seriously

Not an argument.

I don't need an argument for someone that thinks Troy or Jerusalem were back Waters or that anything concrete is known about pre Roman it as Italy

>same blood
no
>culture
similar but not the same
>gods
similar but not the same
Continental Germanic speaking peoples worshiped Irmin a largely unknown god, while proto-Norse worshiped Frey, Thor, and Odin.
It is worth mentioning the continental Germanics knew of these gods, but they were not the primary object of veneration.
Odin totems and Tor Hammers or Mjolnir amulets can be found throughout Scandinavia while Irminsuls can be found throughout Western and Northern Germany.
Also Norwegians were largely Danes who went North, Northern Norway where the Rugii were was pure "Norwegian".
Duetsch or Dutch comes from Theudisk which is plural for Man, like Men or People. Theods.
The Central European peoples have been calling themselves "People" in their own language since the Indo-European invasion.
Theud>Theudisk>Deusk>Deutsk>Duetsch>Dutch

Jerusalem absolutely was a backwater and so was Judean kingdom as a whole. Read "Bible Unearthed" from Israel Finkelstein, it uses solid evidence to back that up.
Troy was a backwater hyped up to the stratosphere by the Greeks. The only other mention we even have of it is from the Hittites and it's basically just a mention that it exists.

I'm sure a wealth of Hittite documents and tablets have been unearthed to back you claim up that it was barely mentioned by a power that had little influence in the area

>britain is the only country in the world where great migrations happened in waves
Imagine believing history to be this dull

>a wealth of Hittite documents
>a wealth
This is literally the biggest overestimation of this millennium.

Are you able to understand sarcasm

He's saying that the Angles and Saxons invaded Britannia, not England.

RULE BRITANNIA

According to Churchill's history at least, the Anglo-Saxons killed or displaced the native Britons from much of the island, with Wales being the only holdout. The Welsh thus have Roman-British roots.

On the other hand, when the Danes invaded several hundred years later they instead interbred with the people living there (the Anglo-Saxon British).

THE Angles, Jutes, Saxons, and Frisians who invaded England simply replaced and assimilated the ruling Celtic nobility and royalty. They didn't even simply replace them, many old nobles stayed nobles, they just started assimilating to the culture of the new nobles, the Germanic invaders. But their culture didn't stay intact, either. Their cultures mixed together, and mixed with the native Celtic culture to create a sort-of proto-English culture. It's very clear that the English are very different from other Germanics, and that is pat of the reason why. As time went on, the lower classes also adopted the new cultures of the rulers, becoming the English.
Later on, following the Danish viking invasions and the Norman conquest, those cultures also added to the developing English culture, but mainly assimilated.
Genetically, the English are mostly Celtic, maybe 15-30% Germanic, depending upon where they are, with the Southeast being the most Germanic. Besides that, Roman, Norman-French, Danish, and others also contributed to the English gene-pool. as well as their culture. Also, the Lowland Scottish are practically identical, genetics-wise, to the Northern English, and very similar, culturally. The Highland Scottish and Manx have more Danish, from when they were ruled by the Danes, the Welsh and Cornish a bit less Germanic, but are still closely related to the English, and even the Irish aren't far from the English.
By and large, the British(Including the Irish) are all very closely related, more tight genetically than various German or French groups.

Actually Anglo-Saxon is the largest genetic group seeAlthough i agree with you on everything else