Can someone explain Central American nationalism to me? Aren't they basically the same people?

Can someone explain Central American nationalism to me? Aren't they basically the same people?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324242/Bulldozers-destroy-2-300-year-old-Mayan-pyramid-Belize.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That assumption is precisely what fuels the nationalism. Its the same as saying,why do yugoslavs hate each other arent they all serbians?.
Outside of that, refer to administrative borders in the colonial era, geographical barriers, economical and ethnic backgrounds (including its consequences in administration), and specially the influence and formation of cities, which include internal conflicts for dominance within the countries themselves. With cities becoming bastions of differing political ideologies both within and outside the nations.

A north influenced by larger native populations, and the traditional seat of Spanish power, vs a poorer but more ethnically homogeneous south with a custom of near independence already due to Spaniards not giving a shit about the region.

serbs croats and bosniaks had religious differences

>Can someone explain Central American nationalism to me?

Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua are actually the same "people" in terms of culture and what not. Their constitutions actually state that their countries must do whatever they can to become a single country again. For them being "Central American brothers" is a core part of their identity. Its a complicated issue.

Then you have Costa Ricans who are a very ethnically and racially diverse people (unlike the "core" Central Americans who are 90% Mestizos with a common culture) with a very strong national identity. Some even claim a very important part of the Costa Rican identity is not being Central American, like how for the Irish is not being English. CR also is not part of their cultural sphere (México, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua) and has more in common with Panamá, Colombia and Venezuela. CR also shares more with the Anglo Caribbean than with other Central American countries.

Then you have Belize which is a full Caribbean country, granted, with a lot of influence from Mexicans and Central Americans whom have taken refuge there. Panamá is more complicated, having received a lot of influence from the Caribbean.

Regarding the Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, the idea of Union and Costa Rica, the "problem" of CR being different have always mess with their efforts of union. They see CR as part of them because of the Federal Republic, but CR don't see themselves as Central Americans and actually are very xenophobic towards the. Central Americans "accuse" Costa Ricans of being (even pretending) "Colombian" or "Jamaican" as a way of differentiating themselves from the others Central Americans.

In 1921 there was a meeting in CR to try and revive the Union, and as a way of solving the CR problem they came up with the idea of diving CR in 8 and giving each core CA country 2 parts. They would promote migration to CR and mixing as a way of making of making Costa Ricans, who were mostly White and Black, Mestizos like Central Americans, and of course, as a way of making them Central Americans in culture too. This of course enraged the Costa Ricans and only helped to increase xenophobia (there was a CR politician who actually predicted stuff like that was going to happen).

Google "Protocolos de la reunión de plenipotenciarios centroamericanos de 1921 en CR" if you want to know more about the last serious attempt of union. Then again, it only helped to make CR more xenophobic and even caused the termination of relations between CR and Nicaragua (because of another proposal of the meeting).

tl;dr version

The four countries which are basically the same are Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua, and being "Central American" or the same is a very important part of their identity. They also have many laws and the such which promote the union between them.

Central americans have cultural differences. Same thing.

Panama is a US creation. It belongs to Colombia. As does Belize to Guatemala.

Hell no
We Costa Ricans consider the rest of CA (except Panama) indian scum

Ah the 'Switzerland' of Central America as they like to call themselves.

>We
>implying you are not filthy Nica scum

>a deficit of almost 7% of GDP
>Switzerland
They'll be another american protectorate just like Puerto Rico

As retarded as it seems, that nationalism was probably the only thing holding El Salvador together, the Civil War all but destroyed El Salvador's national identity, some parts of El Salvador today has fallen into complete and utter anarchy where the government has almost no authority. Sucks really, my folks tell me it had some potential despite its problems and the retarded "Footbal War" in the 70s

Btw my family on both sides fought for the gov't during the Civil War, including the notorious Atlacatl Battalion. I know a bit more than the average person should know about the little things of the war

>Panamá and Belize belong to countries less developed than them and with worst living conditions

Really makes me think...

>We
Fuck off.

Didn't Guatamala and belize have Maya cities back in the day, though? Aren't there still ethnic maya there?

There are many ethnic Maya people in México and in Guatemala, and most Salvadoreans and some Hondurans have Maya blood/heritage. In the case of Belize, like with the rest of the Central American Caribbean region (excluding CR and Panama which has a separate history) they have a completely different past.

You see, the Spaniards never conquered nor managed to establish a foothold on the Caribbean of the region, so it became a refuge for Blacks escaping Slavery under British rule, as well as a region for the British to take. Most people there is Black and speaks English, with some groups like the Miskito and Garifuna being ethno - racial groups who are a mix of the local Amerindian populations and the Blacks from the Caribbean. Yes, there is some Amerindian blood, but they identify way more with their African side and the culture of the Caribbean. These groups are very discriminated by the Hispanic Central American governments and there is a lot of racism towards them. In Nicaragua today there is basically a silent genocide going on against the Miskito people.

Their history is very interesting, they had Kings recognized by the British, fought the Spaniards and the new countries of the 18th century, etc. Anyway, there is no much "Amerindian" identity on the Belize or the Caribbean region, and yes, there are many Maya sites in El Salvador, Belice, Honduras, Guatemala and Southern Mexico.

This thread made me get a map.
Combined GDP of 200 billion
Combined pop of 42 million

Well, as Costa Rica being the less shithole of the entire Central America, they're pretty right on not wanting anything with the others

>tfw having a foreign country's people interbreed with a diverse region actually increased racial and national unity.

Costa Rica actually has pretty good relations with Panama and Belize, but they have an "isolationism" policy regarding the other four countries.

>I know a bit more than the average person should know about the little things of the war
Story time

As a tourist travelling this region, you hear the usual shit locals talk about the neighbouring countries, how the country next to them has worse roads or more crime etc.
As an outsider, they all look the same, speak the same language, have the same religion, food and culture and they're all hating each other and thinking they're better.
They should embrace what they have, be proud of their similarity and unity, that attitude is just one of the reasons they're holding back.

There are Chorti Maya still in Belize. There's Maya cities there too, but the idiots prefer bulldozing the sites.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324242/Bulldozers-destroy-2-300-year-old-Mayan-pyramid-Belize.html

>One of the biggest Mayan pyramids in Belize has been all but destroyed by 'ignorant' builders who ravaged the ancient structure for crushed rock to fill in a new road.

>The construction workers used bulldozers and diggers to claw at the sloping sides of the 100ft tall pyramid, which is part of the Nohmul complex - the most important Mayan site in northern Belize and one which dates back at least 2,300 years.

>Horrified archaeologists claim there is no way the builders could have mistaken the Mayan ruins for a hill, as the landscape is naturally flat and the Nohmul complex is well known.

eurangutans...

I had family killed by both the government and guerilla.

meant for

Call me ignorant, but I don’t see why all of Central America shouldn’t just become one country. Yugomerica. Except they’re actually way more alike than the South Slavs. Granted there are indigenous people like the Nahuatl, but they’re not a majority in any existing country right now anyways. Anyways, it would be a good strategic position for a country to occupy.

I forgot about Belize as well. They can be separate from this union, like the Albania of Central America.

> very important part of the Costa Rican identity is not being Central American.
Can't they be more pathetic? Are they the canadians of centracalandia?

They like to think they are more European and hence, better. Like I said above, some call or used to at least call themselves the Swiss of Central America.

I never said there weren't, I said that from an identity point of view they don't identify themselves that much with their "Native" side.

Yea I meant to reply to the other guy not you sorry.

You need to understand that by "Central America" or "Central American" they mean an ethnic group, an identity issue, not a merely geographic term (Central America as in part of North America as in part of America). Panama, Belice and Costa Rica are not part of the "Central American" people group, they have different culture, accent, history, their countries have different racial composition, etc.

The thing with CR is that because of the short lived Federal Republic, the four core Central American countries have always seen it as part of them, even if Costa Ricans like it or not. Costa Ricans are indeed different than the "Central American" people, like Panamanians and Belizeans, but because of what I said before, the Central Americans see them as simply people who "try" to be different.

If you ask a Nicaraguans, Hondurean, Guatemalan or Salvadorean they would say they are Central American, as in people, the other three countries would never identify themselves as Central American, for them, Central America is a simply geographic region. In Spanish for example, they use "America Central" to refer to the geographic location, and "Centroamerica" to refer to those four countries which share people and culture.

Like I said before, even the few times someone in CR have tried to make the country join the other fours, this "problem" always comes up, Costa Ricans are not "Central American". When Francisco Morazan invaded CR people didn't even know who he was and he pointed out how they were more "Colombian" than Central American. Alberto Mastefarrer, a Salvadorean and Unionist poet, "discarded" CR from the union after he visited the country because he said the people were not Central American like himself or his countrymen and they don't even like Central Americans. And of course, the 1921 proposal of forcing Costa Ricans to intermarriage with Central Americans as a way of "making" them Central American by force.

There is nothing wrong with nationalism and there is nothing wrong with mostly-Mayan Guatemalans considering themselves a different people from mostly-Euro Costa Ricans or from English-speaking Belizeans.

People wanting to create artificial nations out of diverse groups are merely projecting their ignorance of the region. Why isn't North America a single nation? Why isn't the Middle East a single nation?
Maybe because the people there don't want to.

They tried, it failed, get over it. Stop creating retarded globalist schemes and let different people coexist separate from each other as they are want to.

UPCA 2.0 when?

Frankly US should balkanize.

>feels over resources, trades, geopolitical projections etc.
This is why nationalists are retarded

Why don't they just not include Costa Rica in a union? Wouldn't that be easier than trying to perpetually assert their will on a hostile nation?

>Belize belongs to Guatemala
How? Belize was an anglo colony. Spain claimed the land first, but it didn't get settled until British Baymen went there, and they eventually received the right to make laws there from the spanish crown even before England formally made them a part of the empire.
Guatemala has absolutely no claim to that land.

Well, they've been claiming it for the past two hundred years, and they still do today. Not to say they're right

IIT: Shit.
Read Benedict Anderson. Colonial states formed along the borders of colonial provinces. Unable to be the elite in the motherland local nationalisms developed.
Pro tip: Ethnicity and nationalism are constructs.
>inb4 disagreeing crossposting brainlets from /pol/ or r_d

No. Balkanization is fucking trash. Besides, there's not really any angry ethnic groups in America that are confined to a particular location (No, southerners don't count as a separate ethnic group).
Any balkanization of the us would be entirely artificial and do more harm than good.

Because of literally /int/ tier

>b-b-b-but they were part of the original federal republic
>b-b-b-but we were part of the same kingdom of the Viceroyalty of New Spain

Then again, said arguments fail because then they all should join México or Spain. If you go back to the culture, the Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador should then join México and Costa Rica should join Colombia.

>Pro tip: Ethnicity and nationalism are constructs.

This ain't Europe or Africa where everybody is White or Black, little nigga.

>Ethnicity and nationalism are constructs
Be that as it may, they aren't going anywhere.

>he thinks south american nationalisms weren't formed by white colonial elites

This is correct and what most people don't "get".

You're all incorrect. These countries should be indigenous states again. America is for Amerindians.

Which is why its so limited as an argument. It works against certain types of "natural" arguments. The moment a nationalist turns around and admits that it is and says said construct is a good thing worth defending it is worthless. Laws, the state, money, and your local bridge club are all social constructs too but that doesn't make them any less real. Saying nationalism is artificial doesn't make any current feelings related to it irrelevant.

What you are saying is nice for the world of Ivory Tower academic debate, but in the real world most people will not be swayed by "rational arguments". Trying to force people to ditch their nationalisms with retarded globalist schemes like the EU is not going to work.

Best to promote trade and let things evolve naturally.

I'm not sure what your response has to do with my post or if you understood it. I wasn't talking about forcing people to give up nationalism and was just elaborating further on the comments somebody else made.

is for

You would still have a division

>Aridoamerica

Northern half of Mexico

>Mesoamerica - Nahualt peoples

Southern half of Mexico, Guatemala, Belice, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua

>Interamerica - Chibcha peoples

Costa Rica, Panamá, Colombia, Western Venezuela and Northern Ecuador.

Then you would have conflict because Mesoamerica would claim the Nicoya peninsula (today part of CR) because it was inhabited by the Chorotega who are Mesoamerican and the Interamerica would claim the Caribbean region of Nicaragua and Honduras because it was inhabited by Chibcha peoples, and then you would have endless war.

Even from an Amerindian point of view there is no single group, and in the case of Mesoamerica - Interamerica, they don't even share languages or anything, it was the point where North American cultures and peoples made contact with the South American peoples and cultures.

>Costa Rican Chibchas are actually extremely racist regarding the Chorotegas and Mesoamericans in general

lol if they were in Santa Ana or Usulutan, it was probably my family on both sides

Anything in particular? I had a couple of uncles who fought for the government, one was in the notorious Atlacatl Battalion, and I had one that was press ganged into the local commie cell. My dad was a boy during the war and had a front seat view of the war thanks to living in an "Army Town".

My maternal grandfather was a Plantation Owners, the fight against the commies was much MUCH more personal for him. Pretty much my folks would be the equivalent of Nazis in the Salvadoran community in the US.

Sit at any soccer game where a half dozen of them are participating. It will open your eyes.

Border skirmishes in the seats, all day, every day. They fucking hate each other.

Can someone explain nationalism to me? Aren't we all basically just people?

San Miguel.

Than it wasn't, you didn't have anyone who fought on either side? My family's reasoning for actively fighting in the war was that they were going to get fucked with anyways so may as well pick as side

So I think I understand how Costa Rica and Belize view the rest of Central America and vice versa, but what are relations like between Panama and the rest of Central American? Do Panamanians not consider themselves Central American since they’re more developed and were once a part of Columbia (and therefore maybe closer to South America culturally)? Do the other Central American nations want Panama to join any hypothetical unified Central American state?

Panamá is not included in the ideas of "union" because of what you just said, and some of the core Central American countries even say Panamanians are South American and not Central American. Of course Im talking about the autistic tier circlejerks about making unions and what not. People sometimes claim Panamá has a different culture and people, but then someone claims the same is true for CR and the conflict continues.

From a merely political and economical point of view, Panama of course has relations with the rest of Central America, they are even part of the Central American Parliament. Costa Rica is not part of said parliament and nobody in the country even promotes the idea of joining, CR also warned Panamá about joining and pressures them to leave it.

CR and Panamá are very close, in terms of economy and what not, but in the same way that CR's relations with the rest of Central America are limited by their very bad relation with Nicaragua, Panamá's relation with the rest of Central America is limited by CR's bad relations with Nicaragua.

CR, Panamá and Colombia are actually a common block which always supports each other on their territorial conflicts against (mainly) Nicaragua and the rest of Central America. On the other hand, the rest of Central America always supports each other against the territorial conflicts they have against CR, Colombia and Panamá.

>pic not related
>couldn't post without a file for some reason

You go ahead and test your theory out while my friends and I keep being nationalist and fuck you over a barrel.

Is El Salvador and Nicaragua part of the hypothetical union? Yes? Fuck off.

Thanks so much for these detailed explanations user, this is really fascinating. So one other question, how much affinity do southern Mexicans feel with Central America? I know there’s been many conflicts between indigenous people in the south and the Mexican federal government such as the Zapatistas, but has there ever been a serious movement for a southern Mexican state(s) to secede and either stay independent or join a hypothetical Central American Union?

Southern Mexicans are basically the same as the core Central Americans, there is a reason why Central Americans say they are Mexicans when they get caught by ICE and is very hard to find out if they are not. Guatemala for a long time claimed Chiapas and Sonosuco were illegally annexed by Mexico and they should be re incorporated to Guatemala, but they don't claim that any more. I don't think there is any movement in Southern Mexico to rejoin Guatemala or be part of a union with them, those Mexican states are way more developed and safe than the Central American countries (also one of the reasons why Belize, CR and Panama don't want to have anything to do with them).

Yes, some claim Chiapas should "rejoin" with Central America, but probably would never happen. The State of Chiapas is actually part of the Central American Parliament as a member with voice but no vote and they are also part of many regional organizations. Personally, I don't feel this is because they consider themselves Central American but because, well, they are next to them.

Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans and Nicaraguans have a huge inferiority complex regarding Mexico, and Mexicans treats them the same way USA treats them.

None. They were just trying to get by and not get killed. We knew some people who had gone off to fight. There was one story I remember of some skirmishers from the guerilla and a few government troops disappearing in the mountains. The mountains there were haunted, one of the rumors was that the Siguanaba had seduced them all and driven them mad and they ended up dead. I think this was in Morazan.

Apparently Salvadoran refugees ate all the ducks in some park in San Jose during the 80s cause they were hungry so they hunted them. This is what my parents told me.

>Guatemala for a long time claimed Chiapas and Sonosuco were illegally annexed by Mexico
What's funny is that the Aztecs had been fighting the Mam Maya in Chiapas for this region. So there is even a precolumbian precedent.

>globalist
>bad
You one retarded motherfucker.

>experiments involving unelected supranational bureaucracies
>good
Learn to read.
I didn't say globalism was bad per se.
The EU and similar unions are.

>Atlacatl Battalion
tell me more about this

They were an Anti-Communist Death Squad trained by Green Berets and US Marines, notorious for going around and wasting entire villages full of innocent or """innocent""" peasants and doing brutal reprisals against the communists. My uncle got drafted, found that he liked the Army life and volunteered to be in the Atlacatl Battalion

If Central Americans are open to the idea of political union and the only question is how far it should go, then how did the federal republic fall apart in the first place? Guatemala was the first to declare independence from the FRCA

>globalism is bad
>best thing to do is promote trade
In a free market economy with no trade barriers or barriers to trade, globalism is done, removing trade barriers leads to the destruction of political barriers and nations.

>>Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadoreans and Nicaraguans have a huge inferiority complex regarding Mexico, and Mexicans treats them the same way USA treats them.
That's sad, but not unexpected.

There are many reason why the Federal Republic failed and why all the others unions also failed.

- No good land routes between the, then, States. The extreme case was Costa Rica which didn't have any kind of land road between them and Nicaragua until 1955 (the Interamerican high way).

- They were never able to "sell" the idea of union to the masses. They didn't gain anything from independence, they didn't gain anything with "democracy", why would things be different in a union?

- The Federal government was controlled by what they called the "Liberals", so the Church and local oligarchies did everything they could to make it fail so that they could keep their privileges.

- Each state had different relations with other countries, and every state wanted to impose their idea of international relations (for example, all the state tried to make CR cut relations with Gran Colombia because they were enemies but the GC was CR's main trading partner and they had good relations).

- Corrupt countries, went they made unions they became extremely corrupt ones.

- They always claimed the union was a way of not being poor, to be "known and respected" in the world (literally muh relevancy), and so, but then, why did CR, the once poorest country in America and a the most anti union one, managed to become one of the "richest" and most developed countries of Latin America? Why are they and Panama "respected" and known around the world even if its because of stuff like the canal, no army, environmental protection and what not?
If CR managed to do all that without an union, why cant the rest?

And like you said, even when they agreed to make a new union, they were never able to decide what kind of system to use and the extent of its powers. So wanted a centralized Republic, some a Federal Republic with semi independent States, others wanted a Confederacy, and so on.

Yeah that's why I said I'm not opposed to globalism, I'm opposed to artificial experiments that try to rush it and generate political backlash.

Not to mention the Euro has caused all sorts of economic troubles in Southern Europe.

Again, I recommend to read about the "protocolos de la reunión de plenipotenciarios centroamericano de 1921", the last serious attempt to make a union with support from every government.

>fights about CR's people and culture
>fights about the political relations of every country with others
>muh CR supports the Panama canal but everybody supports the construction of a canal in Nicaragua
>muh CR should break relations with Colombia
>its a federation
>no a confederacy
>it doesn't matter, we should destroy the current states and make new ones with parts of everyone
>Blacks shouldn't have rights
>"Better to be Black than Nicaraguan, said the honourable representative from CR"
>muh give me that piece of land

So on and on

Couldn't the divisions in the FRCA be solved by willingly joining mexico in 1821? was it just opposition to mexico's more conservative monarchy or were the divisions between the two countries as stark as they are today, from an outsider looking in it seems strange that the former colonies of Spain seemed to have little unity in their struggles (apart from the two failed federations of Gran Columbia and the Frca)

>removing trade barriers leads to the destruction of political barriers and nations.
It doesn't and I'm not sure where this idea comes from.

>Couldn't the divisions in the FRCA be solved by willingly joining mexico in 1821?

Doubt it, at the core of the problem is that back in the 19th century the masses didn't buy in to the idea and simply followed whoever won and their idea of government. Today the differences between the countries, specially between CR and the others, are way too big. From economic to political an security issues.

Currently tho, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador united their customs systems, and Nicaragua is in the process of joining. This combined with the C - 4, a free travel agreement between Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, will basically erase their borders in any practical sense of the word. As you can see, is something more complicated than nationalism and what not.

Of course, you can see I didnt mention CR, they don't want to take part of the customs union, nor Panama, and if you ask the peoples of these two countries what their main topic of discussion should be regarding Central America, is how they cant expel the illegals from those countries that currently squat on their countries.

People usually think Central America is some kind of Balkanized war zone and that there is no "Central American" identity and nationalism fucks with everybody, but as you can see its not like that, at least not with Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.

>customs union
>free movement agreement
>Central American parliament (which is a joke, but anyway)
>their constitutions say they have to do what they can to reunite
>they teach the national anthems and symbols of the other countries to kids in schools
>they usually make international deals together (sometimes CR and Panama join, but these two usually do it together instead)

Yea but all of the Balkans je Srbija

Very good post, desu.

Central America and the Caribbean are the American version of Africa.

>Better to be Black than Nicaraguan,

Rude and racist!

>Better to be Black than Nicaraguan, said the honourable representative from CR

Kek

Not true.

Guatemalan here, the rest of CA is subhuman, CR are pretentious niggers, everything that is nice in Panama is 100% American. We're the ones with actual history, supremacy and decent cities. The rest of CA is literally a shithole except for Panama

The guy who said was an actual expresident of Costa Rica and regarding race he was very "harmoniums". He promoted a lot the idea that being Costa Rican wasn't about race nor culture, but ideals, and that the different Costa Ricans from the (then) four cultural areas were equally Costa Ricans and that the people from the Central Valley (where most were White and Mixed) should be more open to the Blacks Costa Ricans and their culture. He hated Central Americans tho, specially Nicaraguans, and he used the meeting to fuel xenophobia and promote his party. He became president again and then went to deport almost all the Central Americans from Costa Rica. Some say he asked to be in the meeting just to mess with things.

That meeting while being the last serious attempt to reunite Central America, is mostly unknown in Central America because of the clusterfuck it was. It had a lot of political implications in CR, where the meeting was held. The president of CR at the time, the only pro Central American the country ever had, was basically ostracised from politics and despite the damage control his political party died as a result of the meeting, it helped to launch many politicians careers, it started according to many historians and sociologist the begin of the three decades which defined modern Costa Ricans identity and so on.

People should read those "protocols", it helps to understand the region a lot more. Its very tiresome, tho, a lot of pages are just politicians talking a lot and saying nothing, honourable here and there, and what not.

No U

Wow, talk about being a fucking retard.

>He became president again and then went to deport almost all the Central Americans from Costa Rica

We need this guy again.

Kek. If he managed to get that many deported and shat all over the meetings. He is no moron then.

Ricardo "in Costa Rican there are three seasons: summer, winter, and problems with Nicaragua" Jimenez de Oreamuno.

He did it in 1934. There was a failed strike that year, the famous "banana plantations strike". Instead of blaming the communists, the ones behind the strike, he blamed Nicaraguans and how it was all a simple "chimp out" of the Nicaraguans working in the plantations of the Caribbean. He then proceeded to use this as an excuse to deport all the Central Americans from CR, from all over the country. According to the census of 1928 there were around ~10000 Central Americans in CR (a single category), according to the census of 1938 there were only 1271 Central Americans in CR.

Costa Rica almost went to war against Nicaragua because of this, but again it had more impact in CR. The communist saw this as a defeat, the strike was such a failure the government didn't even persecute them after all the incidents and what not and instead used it as an excuse to mess with immigrants. This made one of the leaders of the communist party to come up with the "Comunismo a la tica" (Costa Rican style communism), which introduced some guidelines about how to behave and how to change the view Costa Ricans had of the party.

Hahaha holy shit. That is amazing.

fútbol rivalry is unironically the reason why there is no federation of central america

Holy shit that's fucking great

Its important to notice how he wasn't racist or anything (actually the opposite) and during his last years of life he had to actually fight Nazism and authoritarianism in Costa Rica. He pressured the Costa Rican government to receive more Poles and Jews during the 30's (one of the reasons why CR was one of the two countries which increased their migrant quotas during the Evian conference), he made it easier for Colombians to get citizenship, etc.

My point is that he wasn't racist, "fascist", he wasn't a White supremacist, he wasn't a Nazi, he wasn't antisemitic, he wasn't against immigration, he simply hated Central Americans.

Not true. No one in Honduras has ever said this or even suggested this. I don't know where you come off as the spokesman for these countries, but the history of the indigenous in what is now Honduras is not the same as Guatemala.

>I don't know where you come off as the spokesman for these countries, but the history of the indigenous in what is now Honduras is not the same as Guatemala

I never said it was, but they are Mesoamericans, share the same religions, language family and so on.

Guatemalan here, most of this thread is clueless ameriturds and eurofags bullshitting themselves. AMA

Can't blame the guy.

Nah. Its true.