When people talk about getting 1/2/3/4, are they typically talking about their 1RM or something like 3x5?

When people talk about getting 1/2/3/4, are they typically talking about their 1RM or something like 3x5?

1rm unless specified otherwise

They are your 20RM

Literally no one knows the people who can 3x5 will say it's 3x5 and the people who can 1rm will say it's 1rm

Thats a fair point. What do you personally believe?

I think that 3x5 is for an advanced lifter who you could say "made it" because the few people I know who can do it are jacked to shit and 1rm for people who are out of the novice phase and are starting to make it

They are your >35rm and are only used as endurance weights.

how often do you test your 1rm? ive never done it. I have no idea how much I'll be able to do if I only go for one rep. I always had 5 reps in mind when people talked about 1/2/3/4. Its way easier than I always assumed

Make it different benchmarks and have fun trying to reach em. 1Rm > 2Rm...

the better question is how do you know if someone got it for reps if they did not cheat (sumo, low bar arched bench)?

lifts are always assumed to be 1RM unless otherwise specified. the only exception is when you're talking about lifts on a novice routine like SS where it's assumed you're doing 3x5. it's not like you get anything for getting to 1/2/3/4 so who cares if it's 1RM or 3x5 though.

I've never tested mine, if you're not a powerlifter you might as well use a 1rm calculator. google it. Of course it's not perfectly accurate, peoples abilities vary, but it doesn't need to be.

I have always believed it's for reps since anyone lifting less than 1/2/3/4 has no business doing 1RMs in the first place.

that's not true. people who can do it for 3x5 (like me) realize that when people talk about lifts it's 1RM unless explicitly stated that it's for reps. and if it's for reps you say exactly how many, because "for reps" is meaningless. is that 3 reps? 12 reps? 20 reps?

Thanks. 2 plate bench without realizing it. Rest is pretty close as well except for deadlift

no.

you just specify it if you're not an autist
"guys, i hit 1/2/3/4 for 1rm this week!"
or
"guys, i hit 1/2/3/4 for 3x5 this week!"

also, for the record, 1/2/3/4 for 3x5 isn't anything special if you're training for strength, sure, you will be probably one of the stronger guys in a commercial gym, but you'll probably look mediocre

It's a retarded standard that doesn't take weight and height into account.
Don't let it bother you.

who is she and do you have more

We've beat this topic to death in the past. The correct answer is 5RM.

lol, it's not "retarded" for that reason. absolute strength is what most people care about in the real world, not relative strength. relative strength is useful in a competitive setting so that manlets can compete as well, but it's not the only thing that matters.

blvckdozen, there's quite a bit more.

After 8ish months, starting as a skelly that had done some really irregular brosplits for not more than 2 months, I almost got to 1234 "estimated" 1rm
>ohp 63kg x5 -->73
>binch 80 x5 ---->93
>squat 110 x5 ---->128
>DL 125 x5 --->146

then my progress stalled up to february and then I stopped going

WHY DO 1RM CALCULATORS NEVER INCLUDE SETS?

10x3 is something totally different than 1x3. ree

A 150lbs manlet hitting 1/2/3/4 is much more impressive than a 250lbs fatty hitting 1/2/3/4

that calculator is bullshit, i can do 150lbs to 12 reps, and my 1rm according to the website is 195lbs, but i can do 225 for 3 reps

I'm pretty sure you could do a higher weight for 12 reps.

and a 250lbs fatty running a sub 4 hour marathon is much more impressive than a 150lbs manlet doing it, but in the real world most people don't give a shit.

Your endurance is bullshit.

3x5 personally. Ego lifting is incredibly stupid.

>calculating 1rm instead of just lifting the actual weights

blasphemy

1rm calculators kinda break down after 10 reps. The closer you are to 1, the better they tend to be.

Someone saved a pic i posted and used it
[spoiler]am proud[/spoiler]