I'm curious...

I'm curious, would there be any notable repercussions to to purposely stopping progression on an exercise after reaching a certain weight? Like if I reached 1pl8 on my Overhead Press and just stopped adding weight for a while while focusing in increasing my other lifts.

Besides the obvious negative of not getting stronger at OHP, what else would happen? After reaching 1/2/3/4 standard could someone just maintain those weights during an intermediate PPL while increasing their accessory lifts?

what sort of thing are you thinking could happen?

I dunno, nothing comes to mind. Perhaps maybe making it harder to progress in the future, but that just sounds stupid to me. Wanted to see if someone who knew more than me would have a viable answer.

Oops, mean't for

That might actually make sense; maintaining your lifts without decreasing volume might condition your body to require more volume when you choose to resume progression than you otherwise might require. You could sidestep this by instead maintaining your lifts by reducing volume, which I guess is what you'd want to do anyway.

You'll build a good strength endurance base. Something that is actually important for real strength. Not the toy strength that geared up fucktards play around with in the gym.

So by reducing volume do you mean changing from 3x5 to 3x3 or to 1x5?

majority of the time when people try to maintain their lifts they go backwards because you lose your momentum

Why the fuck would you focus on getting stronger on accessory lifts and not your main lifts?

fix lagging body parts or to give injury time to recover by not stressing tendons/joins with progressive overload

So would be better to constantly be deloading 10% after hitting that weight and working up back to that weight?

whichever seems appropriate. you might consider progressing until you can lift your goal weight for one or two more reps than your goal set, (eg if you want to bench 275x5, progress until you can bench 275x7) then see how low you much you can reduce training volume without losing gains--this way, if you lose a rep or two, no big deal, since you're safely past your goal.

because by reducing volume in main lifts, you can recover more easily from accessories, poor eating, poor sleep, being a human afult

I suppose over time it would lessen bodily fatigue that could have reduce potential reps on your other exercises. Not necessarily for those specific muscle groups but your body as a whole.

I'm all for ensuring you're recovering, and I'm all for structured deload, but actively trying to keep your strength at a lower level seems dumb. When I deload I'm working at 60-70% of my max for a week or two then hit it heavy again.

what about when youre on a cut?
Wouldn't you want to just try and maintain strength?

Da fuck? Hell no. You can still make some gains on a cut. You'll have to drop the volume yeah, but you can still work at heavy weights. For example, I may do 3x3 or work to heavy singles at 90% + while I'm on a cut.

However I do feel like shit if I don't have carbs while lifting heavy and cutting so I normally bring a bottle of orange juice or something similar.

I might try that orange juice idea, I just started cutting and I'm losing energy towards the end of my workouts which makes it hard to keep progressing.

I'll also try lower volumes too once I really feel like i'm struggling

This thread has been quite educational so far. Thanks guys.

Yeah it works better than food. I used to do pancakes and apples and shit but it takes too long to digest and makes you gassy with heavy squats. Juice gives easy, fast carbs and it's light on the stomach.

Do you drink it pre-workout or just during the workout? I normally drink water w/ BCAA during my workouts so I think I'll try drinking juice beforehand first.

Drink it during.

I like this picture very much