How long is the ideal waiting-time between sets on weight-training? and why? science me, bitches

How long is the ideal waiting-time between sets on weight-training? and why? science me, bitches

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3iZGWsqfwEg
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714538
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The more advanced you are the longer you'll need between sets. If you're a beginner you'll be fine before you feel ready, when it gets heavier you'll feel ready and wish you waited longer when you unrack the weight

sounds about right. started lifting two years ago, used to wait like 40 seconds. now i wait roughly 90 seconds. but i wanna understand the "science" behind this logic, if anyone here knows it

3-5 minutes for 90-100 recovery

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Heavier = more rest lighter = less

Personally I think If you're taking more than a minute you're not doing yourself a favor.

I'm telling you from personal experience, I've grappled and worked with dudes "stronger" than me and they can't keep up after the first 1-2 minutes

is there a downside to resting like 4 minutes between sets, other than wasting time?

Non-meme answer, if you're training for hypertrophy then wait 2-5% heart rate drop (usually within 20-30s). If you're going for strength, then wait for a 20-30% heart rate drop between sets

this

so the idea is to teach your body to maintain itself over longer periods of physical exhaustion? and if you wait longer, the body learns to expel all of its energy during the repetitions, and then rest?

According to my football coach, it doesn't exist. You'd think we were doing fucking cardio.

Sounds like theres zero consensus here. thats kinda fucked

My understanding is volume > all so I just wait long enough for me to be able to do my next set 100%. Usually wait three minutes between the heavy compound lifts and two minutes between isolation.

Depends on the workout, I'll wait 6 minutes between a load up set and a max set.

that seems kinda long desu

but okay so no one has any science on this? its literally just a matter of not wasting time?

youtube.com/watch?v=3iZGWsqfwEg

Imo it's absolutely useless to be able to lift heavy if you need a fuck load of rest. It's not practical in any situation really.

The idea is to wait until complete recovery, when doing max effort, like the user said.

Training is supposed to simulate an action you want to improve. If you're exhausted and can't give your max effort, you're not training with at your max effort level. You're training at some point below it.

alright, this makes sense. wear your body out, give a lil' moment, then exhaust it even more

ill check out that video too

thanks!

Veeky Forums comes through. doesnt happen every day

Well, by that metric, not much you do at the gym will be practical. The point of lifting the heaviest possible thing you can lift, for example, is to increase the maximum amount of weight you can lift. That requires a certain protocol.

Push ups might be more practical but they won't improve your max bench press as much as bench pressing really heavy weights at low reps with lots of rest in between.

And really, if your goal is to increase your bench, then, technically, doing what I describe is more practical than push ups.

What's practical depends on the situation.

This shit is stupid unless your goal is joint damage. Lift heavy, eat heavy, and do some cardio separately from your weightlifting. I run in the mornings for example, and lift at night. Means I have plenty of energy to go ham on my weightlifting, while still training at least some cardio by running a mile and a half in the mornings.

well, fuck. this makes sense too

i mean, ive been benching for a while, and i keep increasing weight, while sometimes waiting as much as 2-3 minutes between sets. so something there is definitively working.

I take 30-50 seconds rest max on whatever I do, if I can't do it I lower the weight.

That being said, I'm also able to better track what I can and can't do better and I gradually but surely see progression.

Out of curiosity somedays I take 1-2 minutes rest and I see my lifts skyrocket by minimum of 50 lbs.

That's why I think honestly waiting that long is kind of useless depending on your goals.

I'll put an example, I'm 185 my max is 275 on bench haven't maxed on deadlift etc. My other friend can rep 285 23 times and he's only 220.

The other day we had to unload a trailer with rugs/carpets whatever you want to call it the point is they were long and cylinder shaped. They weighed 120-200 lbs each and were covered in a plastic with no grip. There were 120 of these.

We had to palletize this freight and my two buddies who are "Theoretically" stronger than me couldn't hang for nearly half of what I did. these two dudes were ex marines as well and are still conditioned not as good as they used to be obviously.

When I dead lift, I rep 275 8 times 5 sets between each set I only take 30 second rest MAX.

My two friends do 500+ 5-7 reps with more than 2 minute rest between sets lol.

And everything I'm talking about is assuming you're natty.

If you're on gear nothing really applies to you, you're going to get bigger no matter what you do and you're probably not going to get hurt because of how fast you recover. The only limitation is your genetics really.

This is why I hate when roiders try to give advice on anything besides form.

a mile and a half lol, you know 3 miles is considered a warm up run right?

>all these strongly worded opinions
>nobody makes any references

Is this bodybuilding.com?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807

alright Ill do a quick one,

So weve all heard the usual 2+ for strength 1-2 for hypertrophy. In the past 10 years theres been a lot of research into whats better with regards to strength vs hypertrophy, rest times reps etc.

Basically its all very similar and what it comes down to is intensity. My advice is stick to the usual times. at least 1min for hypertrophy but the aim of your set should be intensity so if you feel you need a good 2mins maybe even more to get that perfect set then take the extra rest.

Orr

That's because at that low a rest between sets your training endurance as opposed to straight strength so it's a no brainier you lasted longer. You said it yourself, you wanna lift heavy you gotta give your muscles time to recover between sets, and, assuming the heavier you can lift the shorter you have to wait to get big aesthetic muscles, it would make sense to go with option two if you're trying to get "swole" quicker.

>you know 3 miles is considered a warm up run right?
You know 13 miles is only a half marathon, right?

Stop being a bitch, running a ~12 minute mile and a half a few times a week is far more than acceptable cardio, especially when my goal isn't weight loss, but increasing cardio while clean bulking.

And that's why from the beginning I said it depends on your goals.

But for me personally, it felt good to out grapple my buddies who are significantly stronger than me, be faster than them, out last them etc.

If you want to increase your cardio while clean bulking just do HIIT lol.

Yeah, if you wanna be a fat powerlifter with no gas tank.

Then you might as well be doing the shitty crossfit I discredited to begin with.

source?

Old school bodybuilders.

I agree crossfit is a meme, I think your top athletes in that sport are roiders to begin with.

I just do my own shit, I have my own goals etc. I'm not trying to gain a glamour body like Connor Murphy or have a useless powerlifter body either. I seen some dudes at the gym who can't even touch their shoulders with the same hand, it's kind of sad imagine them trying to wipe their ass?

Lets face it, everyone lifts to try to look good naked. For me personally it feels good to beat other people in multiple sports or tasks/activities. I'm competitive that way, also ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714538

1,5 minutes if light, 2-5 if heavy (97,5% atp), 7 if you need your maximum atp

If it's taking you 6-8 minutes to recover between sets, you're out of shape. You shouldn't have to wait more than 1-2 minutes between sets unless you're doing heavy single PRs.

poliquin has good stuff on this
generally:
lower reps --> higher rest
more joints involved --> higher rest
agonist super set--> higher rest
closer to 'peak' performance --> higher rest
3rm squats e.g. 3 min rest for me, maybe 6 min for elite lifter

e.g.
a1. 6rm chins = 0 seconds
a2. 6rm dips = 120 seconds

e.g.
a1. 6rm chins - 0 seconds
a2. 10rm incline curls - 120 seconds

e.g.
15 single joint isolation - 90 seconds

e.g.
lactate training
15 reps deadlift - 30 seconds
15 reps push up - 30 seconds

well that fucking settles it, then

rest fully to get burly
dont rest fully to get endurance

also you can manipulate rest as mode of progression if you want to increase work capacity or 'endurance':

e.g. drop rest by 10 seconds every other workout for 6 workouts
but this is very similar to adding reps with the same weight and rest, which is probably less fiddly

Kek what's your squat Mr opinion

Nah just sucks that it takes so long. On lighter days I keep the pace up and call it cardio

>only guy in thread who cites actual research
>gets ignored completely

this is why we cant have nice things

read up on ATP recovery. so anywhere from 3-10 min

Weightlifting is it's own thing. Not bodybuilding, not powerlifting, you're lifting to get stronger and look/feel better. Also for health. I lift because I was bullied as a kid and young adult and it was because I was 120 lbs at 5'8. If I was fucking yoked, those same people would not have tried to take advantage of me physically like they did. I'm 145lbs and growing. I hope to be 160lbs at

>tfw you lift because the Greeks did.

I can't help it, I fucking love those ancient bastards

>i wanna understand the "science" behind this logic, if anyone here knows it
It's literally just: the more time you give your body to recover, the more it recovers.

>Kek what's your squat Mr opinion
refer to >On lighter days I keep the pace up and call it cardio
lmfao. Don't fucking lie. It's not cardio. You couldn't do cardio if your life depended on it.