Were there many Africans in the Roman Empire?

Were there many Africans in the Roman Empire?

Probably some ethiopians and berbers in the ranks but most people didn’t travel very far unless they were in the legions

Wh*tes didn't exist yet then

This
Rome was black

Yes, Nigreos Maximus
Champion gladiator who killed the Greek Executioner in single combat but was killed by the Beast from Hispania

Why must the Perfidious Anglo soil proud Roman history as a fly soils cheese?

>Were there Africans in the Roman Empire?
Yes

>Were there many Africans in the Roman Empire?
No

There were Africans in the African provinces of the Roman Empire

Yes there were also black Roman Emperors

>Aemilianus
>Macrinus
>Semptimus Severus + his sons

Also the one we call "Nero" nowdays was actually called "Negro" and was black, but with time passing, the "g" disappeared from the carving and the black paint on his statue disappeared as well

Genuine Negroids like in pic related, not much. Definitely in not forested areas that looks like mainland Europe.

They'd mostly be Nubians or Ethiopians garrisoned in Egypt. And no, Mauri and other North Africans including Egyptians are NOT black, but they did have thousands year old admixture with them.

Yup

>but they did have thousands year old admixture with them.

[citation needed]

>live relatively close geographically
>NEVER sex them
Yeah sure

>The first century AD Greek travelogue known as the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea first describes the Horn of Africa littoral, based on its author's intimate knowledge of the area. The Periplus does not mention any dark-skinned "Ethiopians" among the area's inhabitants. They only later appear in Ptolemy's Geographia, but in a region far south, around the "Bantu nucleus" of northern Mozambique.
It seems that they called negros Aethiopians and horn Africans Kushites

>what is the Sahara desert

they would have, they would have been sold as slaves and fought in the colosseum

Nubians and Ethiopians were not unheard of.

Considering the entirety of North Africa was Roman territory, I'm going to say yes There were many Africans

Tons!
All northern africans, and mostly either all white or phoenecian or taureg.
As for black africans, their where some migrations from Nubia and Ethiopia but nothing significant.

>Genuine Negroids

What the hell is a genuine negroid?

>leather Armour
>that fucking atrocious ill fitting helmet apparently made out of burned kettles

never mind hes black that's the least of this "legionary's" problems...

Bantu type from Sub-Saharan Africa like this.

Compared to say Tuaregs that used to have lots of black slaves.

>The Sahara desert separates Ninja and Ethiopia from Egypt

Who is the original negro then?
Like Mongol is to mongoloid (not one uses that term anymore in normal conversation)(, who is the "original" Negro?

+ Bantu's aren't the only Blacks in SSA at alll

I bet you have a fit watching 300. "So historically inaccurate!" Well no shit, it's just a setting for a fictional story.

You alt-righters get triggered by a black person performing in a fantasy TV show. Typical rightist snowflake.

Yes, Scipio Africanus, it is said that it was his nickname aptly given by the white Romans who were in awe of his black majesty. Even his bust is black to illustrate this.

Why do English-speaking people(USA,UK) care so much about black Africans?

Regards a Chan Lee.

That show is pure shit, just like every other 'historical' show.
Why can't they make at least one proper fucking TV show? Its all pure rubish and nonsense.

Also, the guy who who chose music for the intro should be crusified.

>they did have thousands year old admixture with them.

No, they mixed with niggers only after the Islamic conquest, when Arabs introduced camels in North Africa to cross the Sahara desert. Before that Berbers and Egyptians were a mix of Neolitich farmers from Anatolia, Levant and Southern Europe and mesolitich natives, who were all 100% west eurasian genetically.

>Chan Lee.
Same reason why Tom Wu played Sir George

Because Africans are feared/laothed for weird ass reasons that border on paranoia, obsession and other things that are the result of colonial/empire years social beliefs.

Why do they obsess over Black sexuality and sex? Why do they constantly over estimate Black fitness. The answer would require you to read many books and historical articles on it that I can't sum up in 2000 words.

You know upper Egypt had Nubian admixture?

Guess he isn't answering then.

This isn't true as Portuguese and the Spanish have sub Saharan African DNA that is thousands of years old.

Sometimes they're just brought up for no apparent reason on this board, negative or positive.

Is the character a Numidian?

You can't really speak Abbott Black people at all here really. It's not as bad for other non-Euro descent group but it's still pretty shitty how dialogue has to be twisted into shitty "muh achievements", "I must prove their inferiority", and racist ramblings about say the Chinese or Natives.

Moot was right about what Veeky Forums would turn into 100%.

Read the papers about ancient Egyptian and Maghrebian genetic history, before quoting me, noobs.

The actor is a negro so if the character is a Numidian, he's still miscast. Also look at his name, the character is Latin.

LoL

Pre Islamic North Africans were Italian rape babies. Keep on dreaming nigger.

>Historian Theodore Mommsen estimated that under Hadrian nearly 1/3 of the eastern Numidia population (roughly modern Tunisia) was descended from Roman veterans.[30]

Read my post again you subhuman retard.

My error. I wanted to quote the other dude. Fuck smartphones.

That's just his speculation , you can't take that at face value

>pic
wait, I thought you weren't supposed to judge individuals based on outliers.

See
FTFY

I didn't mention Egyptians or Maghreb people at all, I don't care fore the ancient farmers I'm disputing the attribution of admixture to Arabs
>there was gene flow from Sub-Saharan Africa toward Europe as early as 11,000 years ago

This. Most Romans were of Scicilian-Berber origins. They came from Black Troy originally and before that; The Roh'Manii (Roar Many) had traveled from Ethiopia to Troy by boat, thus their tribal name.

There is no sub saharan admixture in any ancient samples from Europe and the North Africa, nigger. Go LARPING somewhere else.

See here you are sperging on about blacks.

Learn to speak English, subhuman T*rkroach.

this

Not black Africans tho you stupid niggers. Numidians were Berbers, and they were as dark as you'd find in the Roman Empire.

Why were there so many Br*ts in the Roman Empire?

Romans knew of Bantu people and distinguished them from north Africans

They might recognize this actor as a bantu, but they didn't recruit bantus into the legions, for one thing you have to be a Roman citizen to join the legions, and in the time of the invasion of Britain Roman citizenship was still pretty exclusive.

I live in Newcastle in Northern England. Here there was a unit of Mesopatamian auxiliaries from what is now fucking IRAQ nearlt 2000 years ago.

What color are Iraqis, user?

Wrong, pre Islamic North Africans didn't have nigger admixture. They were Italian rapebabies.

Why do people get upset at blacks playing Romans, but not pasty northerner Anglos with British accents and beady little eyes playing Romans? How is that any better?

Pic related is a Numidian character

Why does he have a Latin name? How is he an optio in a legion? Is it a Numidian legion? Then why is he the only black one?

A better question: were there any wh*te people in the Roman Empire?

They were Italians, so no.

Because this board is retarded. Who the fuck cares about this type of shit, just dont watch it lol

im pretty sure anglos were more common in Rome than subsaharan africans

>I care so little, let me come into this thread and tell you all how little I care!

But you want 100% of your Romans to be pasty ass Anglos with British accents even in the heart of Rome. Seems retarded.

Suetonius: “He was about the average height, his body marked with spots and malodorous, his hair light blond, his features regular rather than attractive, his eyes blue and somewhat weak, his neck over thick, his belly prominent, and his legs very slender.”
His hair was light blond and his eyes were blue. Definitely not black.

>want
Ideally they would be played by actual Romans but guess what, they're all dead. They could use Italians, but the production is British and most Brits can't speak Italian, so...

He bleached his hair, and there are black Africans with blue eyes, it's just uncommon.

So they use a black Brit instead of an Anglo Brit.

>all black people look the same

Racist

Hahahaha

Are you so retarded to think that Brits are a completely separated race from Italians, nigger?

Like Cheddar man, the first Anglo.

Yes, Italians are black.

Guess what, you cant do shit about it

Well it's the BBC so yes, of course they shoehorn blacks in there. They legitimately and unironically have an agenda to include black actors even when it makes no historic sense, this isn't even a conspiracy theory, its their publicly stated policy.
They all look BLACK. His fellow legionaires aren't black, so is he the only black Numidian, or has a Numidian somehow ended up in a non-Numidian legion? Because both answers would be retarded.

>Semptimus Severus
Described as having swarthy Southern Italian skin

>He bleached his hair
why would he bleach his hair?
he only died at 30 so he wasnt going grey?
youre really splitting hairs
>black Africans with blue eyes
literally a genetic mutation thats EXTREMELY RARE
so youre telling me you think its more likely that nero was a black roman who rose to emperor which is rare but not only that he was a very rare african who had blue eyes and not only that but bleached his hair
and you think thats much more likely than him just being white?

nothing?

Neither does making all Romans pasty Anglos with British accents. But Anglos seem to love wewuzzing Romans.

>why would he bleach his hair?
He was a famous dandy, he probably thought it looked cool to have blonde hair against black skin.
>literally a genetic mutation thats EXTREMELY RARE
rare but not impossible. Prove he didn't have this mutation. Also, he was probably mixed, the Black Romans kept a lot of white sex slaves.

That's just normal for tv tho, go watch an Italian tv movie about British history and prepare to be amazed that they cast ITALIANS in the roles!?!

Idk about him, but the Celts were very big on this practice. They would wash their hair in limewater, so that it dried in stiff quillions, and was bleached by the lime. You wouldn't understand, it's a black pipo thing.

So what's wrong with casting a Brit who happens to be black? It's not like they're shipping him in from Africa. He's already there as a Brit actor.

>He was a famous dandy, he probably thought it looked cool to have blonde hair against black skin
Why would he do that?
It wasn’t common for anyone to bleach their hair back then so post some proof about hair bleaching the Roman Empire
>rare but not impossible. Prove he didn't have this mutation.
Burden of proof is on you
But just to entertain you the condition that gives black African blue eyes usually comes with a host of other issues such as blindness, but Nero was described as being “healthy” in his younger years

>It wasn’t common for anyone to bleach their hair back then so post some proof about hair bleaching the Roman Empire
Except you're totally wrong about this, dyeing hair was a common thing for Roman women to do, and Nero was gay, so...
>described as being “healthy” in his younger years
He was murdered by white devils before he could suffer any of the possible complications from his blue eyes. Plus, why do you think he was playing his lyre while Rome burned? Nigga was blind AF, he didn't know anything was wrong.

Nice

Because a Brit can pass as an Italian, albeit a tremendously pasty, sick-looking Italian, but a sub saharan African cannot. It's about suspension of disbelief, I can grant that these pasty Brits are meant to be Romans, but a black African stands out like a sore thumb. It's the same reason I wouldn't cast a Chink as a Roman, even tho they have close to the same ski color.

So the make a movie about ancient china say ,in zimbabwe and all the cast is zimbabwean.
This makes perfect sense to you?

>pic
WE

So basically we wuz?

As much sense as Romans with a British accent

What's the false claim there fucktard?

There were millions of black people in the Roman Empire, many of them were emperors as well.

That people don't stare