Question About Making Gains

New to weight lifting. I am a fat ass so I am in a calorie deficit and doing 45 mins of cardio daily. I am also starting to lift weights because in addition to not being so fat I would like to have some muscle.

My question is should I be lifting heavy weights with low reps or medium weights with 12 reps. I don't want to be bulky but rather like Stephen Amell from Arrow.

I see people who have small arms and only have muscles in the biceps when they flex. How do I get to the point where my arm muscles are visible without flexing? Can someone also recommend me what dumbbell exercises I need to do to get my upper body looking good? Shoulders, traps, biceps, triceps, chest, and whatever other muscles there are.

Also does anyone know what body fat percentage Stephen Amell is in this picture?

Thanks.

Seriously don't make me ask Reddit...

did you read the sticky?

I skimmed through it. Didn't seem to answer my question.

Ay pal I don't wanna spoon feed you but here is what I've been doing.
This janurary I was 285 down to 245 now. Do IF and lift what you can for 8 to 12 reps
Increase the weight as you can I've gone from just being able to do the bar for benching and can now bench 135.

If I keep adding weights as I get stronger and get down to 17% body fat will I have muscles in my arm without having to flex after a year?

Did you set meaningful goals in life and commit to fulfilling them? Self-discipline? What are you going to think about your life when you are on your deathbed?

>I skimmed through it.

Ok fine I will read the whole thing.

But if it doesn't answer my question about how to have arm muscles visible without flexing you are going to fucking regret it...

that's just a combination of sufficiently low body fat and high muscle mas which you will attain after commiting time and hard work to lifting and a healthy diet for at least a few months

No the sticky won't answer that. Look on YouTube for dumbbell arm workouts. Eat healthy AF and lift like fuck and surely you won't go wrong.

If I lift consistently and make gains what is the highest body fat percentage I can have and still have visible arm muscles when not flexing?

15%?

ok thanks.

If you're a fat ass then you're years away from pic related. YEARS.

I am a fat ass. I figure it will take a year to be healthy and then maybe another year to look sculpted like pic related.

It all depends how big you get. Listen though, you don't wanna focus on arms too much. Make sure you're doing enough for your shulders, back, chest, and legs. Your back is probably the hardest to hit with only dumbbells unless they're heavy enough for rows. Maybe invest in a pull-up bar for that thick wide lat action. Flyes are good for your chest and side lateral raises for your shoulders, curls and triceps extensions and shoulder presses and pullups and goblet quats and BOOM you've hit your entire body

Current height/weight? And what cardio are you doing daily?

that is a realistic time frame. Godspeed user. Like I said cardio and diet are most important for now but make sure not to neglect your body by favouring your arms too much. Endless curls will only get you so far.

ok thanks. I'm just going to stick to the routine I'm on and hope it works. My main goal is to burn off all this fat and the muscles are secondary.

Thanks. This will be the year I finally pull it off. I can feel it. Now that I am actually counting calories and doing cardio every day.

ok this is going to sound bad but I actually carry the weight mostly in my thighs and stomach.

I am 5ft 9 1/2 and currently weight 268 pounds.

Last year I was 230 pounds. I am doing elliptical 45 minutes to an hour daily. I am trying to eat 1500 - 1800 calories a day and lifting 3 times a week.

I have been trying to lose weight for 10 years now. My lowest I remember was 220. I can lose 1lb a day until 233. That is like a wall and then I say fuck it and put weight back on.

You have a long road ahead of you mate. Don't worry so much about the end result and concentrate on taking it one day at a time.

I will man. Thanks for the encouragement.

>manlet

powerlifters focus on high weight with less reps

bodybuilders focus on lower weight and a lot of reps

a mixture of both is good

gl user

LOL

I will do mostly 3 sets of 12 reps but will mix it up with some heavy weights. Thanks!