HISTORY PROFESSORS

>taking history of americas pre-colonial
>mandatory, but sounds interesting
>first day of class, teacher comes in, motorcycle helmet under arm
>"yo my dudes, I don't want you guys to think of me as a history professor, cause history's hella lame!"
>apparently history has too many white men
>specifically says we will not learn a single name or date
>fucking kill me

I listen to kenneth harls lectures on Great Courses all the time, why can;t my professors in real life be like my proffu?

Other urls found in this thread:

legacy.com/obituaries/sooeveningnews/obituary.aspx?pid=187496146
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Witzel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Popkin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_N._Zeitlin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernadette_Brooten
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What book are you reading from in that class?

well, if you can believe this, he specifically told us NOT to buy any books
other professors at my school have assigned guns, germs and steel

>NOT to buy any books
>History
Interesting choice, sounds like a real great teacher

I had a really good prof last year for American History up to 1865.
>says dates aren't required knowledge but gives extra points if you mention them
>completely btfos liberals on the story of Thanksgiving
>Said with regard to the founding of the US "If you believe in miracles then this is pretty strong evidence"
>Gave me 96% on my final paper despite saying he almost never gives A's
>was on TV

he's a moron, but I AM still in community college, hoefully I'll have a good professor when I transfer

What was he on?

Patriotism

Some TLC show

lmao the chad community college professor

typical yankee

>community college
and there it is

I was an engineering student taking some extra classes when I got this dude.
legacy.com/obituaries/sooeveningnews/obituary.aspx?pid=187496146
Easily the best professor I ever had in that shithole of a school.
I wish I would have had more personal talks with him.

I wandered around in my undergraduate years. I started out in community college, but eventualy studied under these guys, so there's hope for you user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Witzel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Popkin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_N._Zeitlin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernadette_Brooten

I wish other teachers said that so I didn't spend hundreds on textbooks I'd never use again

>other professors at my school have assigned guns, germs and steel
For all the hate this book gets, the fact is it's pretty much mandatory reading in most western universities. Possibilism vs determinism is a key theme of basic geography, and Diamond is usually juxtaposed to Braudel or Febvre when explaining it.

Can't you just download them or loan them from your uni's library? Out of a dozen books this semester I only had to buy three.

the best teachers, in my experience, assign books that are just good reading
I had a class assign frederick douglass' bio, and one class assigned de tocqueville's book, so thats nice cause I can always say I've got those books

Does anyone actually buy the books? IN my college course everyone just studies the lecture notes. Noones wasting a couple hundred on a book when they can get the information free online.

>Community college

Don't you have feedback from past course takers saying "don't take this, you actually won't read books!" so in that way you can decide to take it or not? Usually Facebook groups do this shit, some unis also have internal forums that allow this possibility.

sure but this is community college
so when he goes "we won't read/learn shit!" the rest of the class is stoked, and I'm the only one who's pissed that I'm paying for a non-education
on any sort of ratemyprofessors type deal he'd get a five star rating, this has been the case with a lot of my shittiest teachers, horrible teacher/very friendly so they score high
once had a shitty teacher wh got five star ratings because (this was the actual reason in the review) she was pretty

Not denying he's a great guy, but it seems like you claim he's cool mostly because you agree with him.

If you really wanna learn about Precolonial America read about the Mound builders

Sometimes, books are assigned that portray information representative of the course or pertinent to discussion. However, sometimes professors assign books that help you develop historical skills.

For example, I had a professor who assigned "Geronimo" by Robert M. Utley. It was a class over Native American History, but for the most part we really didn't cover the Southwest Indian tribes and revolts from the nineteenth-century too much. Instead, the professor wanted us to pick out Utley's thesis and arguments, namely in that Utley heavily disagreed with the two most dominant historigraphical interpretations of Geronimo (that he was a rebelling savage and that he was a defender of his land), and in the process learn how to read a history book. In instances of learning the historiography or how to effectively disseminate the literature, certainly buy it. Textbooks are trash though, desu, even if they present the best basic, overarching information of any subject.

Pic. This fucking guy. I never had him for a class (he's from the University of Arizona or some shit, I go to a college in Arkansas), but he came to speak as part of our school's annual history lecture program. Guy's famous, shows up on Western documentaries all the time. However, instead of giving a presentation on Davy Crockett like he was supposed to, he droned on and on frequently on personal digressions about his family or funny anecdotes. He's extremely knowledgeable about Western History and I'm sure a great guy, but I think his abilities only shine behind a camera or in a book he's authored.

Even had a lunch with him along with a bunch of selected History students. Couldn't stop talking about himself. He went out to eat after the lecture with my department, and some of them even observed he was a little too chatty.

I thought you would say Howard Zinn's BS

COLLEGE IS A FUCKING SCAM YOU PLEBE, WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

no but I have had a class that utilized a whole curriculum designed by Zinn's foundation
>tfw assigned a group project where I have to pretend to be a mexican native and someone else pretends to a be a white settler and he "displaces' me in a sketch in front of the class
school is a fucking joke. I want my degree and I wnt out

I want professor stories.

Don't die on me now, thread.

>tfw your professor, who was born in Saudi Arabia and speaks fluent Arabic, tells you that MEMRI translations are accurate

hell yeah

Look man, you're at a community college. That's just how it is.
I went to one for two years and got my associates so I could save money and work full time while taking classes.
Classes are a joke like you're saying, but they're cheap and it's easy to get good grades so you look impressive when you transfer.
Real university is a whole other experience.

>be history fag
>have to take a humanities course
>take an English course about the relationship between English politics and literature in the 16th-17th century
>can't be that bad right?
>Teacher has mentioned modern politics/Trump almost every class
>two normies spend ten minutes expounding on the similarities between King Lear and some scenes in Game of Thrones
the only professor I've ever had do this, and of course it's the English department.
Sometimes the memes are right. Though I will say the material itself is interesting when we aren't bringing up contemporary politics or other stupid bullshit

I've had two professors go off about politics so far. One was super anti-Trump, the other was pro-Trump.

>that body hair
>that facial bone structure
Goddamn, Mishima looks white as fuck.

History teacher here with a MA in Russian history, work in an American university but don't want to say where.

AMA.

ITT REDDIT POST THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED

English professors can be the fucking worst, but my worst was still a history professor when I was in community college.
>First day of class for American Experience since Reconstruction course
>Young, white female professor whines the whole time about how American Literature and history is unjustly dominated by white men
>She uses demographics of cowboys in the Wild West to counter this
>Figure she just watched Blazing Saddles
>Disparages the American South - makes it clear that Reconstruction was a universal good that Whitey undermined
>Class is made to provide examples of how white privilege has disrupted American history and life
>Find out at the end of class that all homework and tests are online
>Attendance is not required but no way we'll pass without lectures
>Never go to another one of the classes the whole semester
>A+
Community college is dumb. Get through it as fast as you can with the best grades that you can and never look back.

Do you think anyone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?

>I want my degree and I wnt out
What are thebjob prospects For that degree?

I've only had one history teacher I've actively disliked-constantly droning on about his (liberal) politics and other bullshit. (keep in mind I'm left-leaning myself and agree with a lot of shit that would send /pol/ into a tizzy fit, I just don't like how he made it the focus over actual learning and his condescending tone).

But the biggest single-annoyance I've had with a history teacher was one who I otherwise really liked-when he decided to focus entirely on "women's reactions to the War of 1812"...without spending a single word on the ACTUAL WAR OF 1812, WHAT IT WAS, ITS CAUSES, OR ITS AFTERMATH.

Shit still pisses me off just thinking about it.

How is MA enough to work in university?

well the community college would just give me a "history degree for transer" which means I transfer into a four year and START there doing whichever classes I want for a more specfific major
I want to get my masters in some form of ancient history but that'll be a while...

I immediately like him. He looks like a wizard.

>not going to a trade school and pursuing intellectual interests in your free time
haven't done it, but that's my plan at least. I tried college and it was dreadful.

well I have been doing construction for my grandfathers family business for the past few years, so if I have no prospects, at least I have some marketable trade skills

I'm going back to school wth a lot of reservations and the community college experience hasn't helped reassure me
however, not to brag, but I'm clearly more driven then your average community college student (granted I'm a bit older and more experienced) so I'm hoping somewhere along the line that pays off

but yeah, trade skills are definitely the way to go, I recomend to everyone to forego college right out of high school and get a manual labor job. it's good for your character and for your future prospects

>family business
lucky
>I recomend to everyone to forego college right out of high school
wish I had anyone to give me this advice. I wasted 3 years already with this shit.
Funny thing is I have family members who had a college education but got rich quickly because of completely unrelated investments and entrepreneurship, who still have the boomer mindset that without a college education you're hopeless. It's a strong meme.

>tfw respectfully that guy who adds in to the professor's lectures
>The only guy who even pretends to do the readings (the only person who understands them either)
>Only 30 history majors at my uni total
>Get made into a TA Sophomore fucking year because I'm already doing a quarter of the work for the professors

I knew something was up when they invited me to happy hour. Currently working on grant funded research about the Black Death, feels good man.

$22/hr as the only history TA.

Then you realize you're being groomed to be a history professor.

>lucky
fuck do i know it
>the second thing
that's the problem with people who think they've found 'the answer'
there is no one answer, it generally ends up being a combination of work ethic and good connections that makes one succesful, and both of those things really can't be taught, especially not when you say "go to school and you'll be fine"
it's unfortunate but the people I meet in school are the most ill-prepared for their future whereas those who spend there time working are leagues ahead, if not in zeroes on their paycheck at least in terms of career progression

>le trade school meme
If you're both sincere and dedicated to attaining a career in history education, I'd suggest teaching high school history/social studies as you pursue your master's degree. You'll gain invaluable insight into teaching strategies that are nearly unobtainable in the university context.

That being said, you may find it necessary to move in pursuit of a suitable teaching position: I once lived in western Pennsylvania and chose to teach 11th grade World History classes in southern Georgia (I have extended family relatively close by, so the move was nearly painless). I took grad school classes during the summer and taught during the school year to support my academic pursuits. Now, I'm faculty at a relatively prestigious university -absolutely loving every second of it.

Follow your dreeeeeams...