Why is Starting Strength always recommended when people want Starting Aesthetics...

Why is Starting Strength always recommended when people want Starting Aesthetics? Nobody cares about getting their numbers up.

Also, I'm a girl. How long would I have to do SS to be stronger than the average guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_iEnCfhQ0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AjtX3C5j8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

read the sticky. u have no idea what the fuck u r talking about so maybe educate urself first on how muscle hypertrophy occurs in the first palce

I know a girl that did ss. Her squat was like twice mine. But could only bench half her body weight. Just saying

ive never seen a natty chick squat more than 2 plates so u must be squatting 60kg tops

Ya.. My squat is shit. One plate and some extra. For some reason my squat and bench weights are always about the same

girls rarely bench a big numbers, and if they do it's usually a giant arch and super wide grip with a 2" ROM.

It occurs through damage, right? So why is squatting and deadlifting 3pl8 or whatever so important? Curlbros probably can't do thst and they look good.

Think better foundation, bigger building faster. A 4 month investment in strength means better hypertrophy work later.

you would have to take steroids. look up "testosterone"

I used symmetric strength, novice level lifts for men for the big 3 for a 135lb man

Squat: 165
Deadlift: 185
Bench: 125

For a 135 woman you would have to lift for about 1.5 years consistently to reach and intermediate level for squat and Deadlift, for bench you would be borderline proficient which is 2-3+ years of training. Keep in mind most guys can get to those weights in 2-3 months easily so just subtract that from the time it would take a woman. Also, keep in mind that those are the absolute minimum weights for a man in a novice level stage. For women it's slightly closer to a intermediate lifter.

I'll give you a fun example. I was 6'1 125lbs and was able to reach a 185lb Deadlift within a month while also not squatting more than 85lbs whatsoever. I now weigh 165 after about 6 months and can squat 180, Deadlift 250, plus 145 bench.

when I squat I feel some lower back muscle being stretched

is my form fucked?

Its normal, womeme in average have weaker upper-body but thankfully their lowers are same as us guys because I love the booty ATG

OP, I agree with you, but you are wasting your time here. Criticizing SS on Veeky Forums is like suggesting that maybe the Bible might have some flaws in the middle of Sunday Church service.

IMO it leads to an unbalanced and very aesthetically underwhelming physique.

What it does do well is build your strength up so that you can achieve enough load on the muscle to get good results out of more hypertrophy focused routines.

This. Start with /ss/ or similar programmes, get lifts up then switch to a hypertrophy programme.

If you can't bench 2pl8 do you really think you can achieve that upper body you want? /ss/ can bring you do that goal, and fast.

what 068 said

It's a huge difference in the quality and effect of hypertrophy work you can do. Otherwise you're pretty capped on the ways you can do progressive overload. Plus, you can do something like SL 5x5 (+ accessories) in the first 6 months even while cutting since you're getting noob gains. In contrast, you can't really do hypertrophy training and cut and get results. Figure is 60% diet anyways, so you want to cut down to ~15% before you start lean bulking + hypertrophy training.

pic related is my routine, it's worked pretty well for gaining strength in the last two months while cutting.

Everyone should at least read the book to learn basic training principles and a little biomechanics. Choosing the program itself as how you'll train as a beginner is optional.

I mean sure, it's damage. How do you expect to damage your muscles lifting the same baby weights forever?

Might be butt wink. Then again I had no idea I was winking until I saw a video of myself so maybe coa you can actually feel it it's something else. Post form check.

ironic
doing 3x5 is not building a foundation, a foundation is built through higher volume training

SS teaches you the lifts and then allows you to gain a little bit of muscle while your body learns how to use what you already have, but it is in no way optimal for gaining muscle

and to continue getting stronger, you must gain muscle

you can absolutely make strength and size gains as a novice on a more hypertrophy oriented routine, even in a calorie deficit

also, doing more volume in no way prevents you from progressively overloading by adding weight

you may not be able to add as much weight as fast doing 4x8 vs 3x5, but you will be doing more work (and getting a bigger training effect as a result) so this is obvious

SS is absolute dogshit for bench press, everyone knows this

if you want a big bench press doing three by fahve an average of six times in a month is not how you do it

so user, what is a good noob program for size and strength?

the one i posted would work just fine if you want to powerlift later since it's using developmental exercises for the bench/squat/dead

Check ou renaissance periodization. SS is a meme and will get you big legs.

This. Honestly SS as a book is a good resource but I think there are better routines. For example, I think Nuckols beginner routines are great for all lifts and should be recommended to beginners more often (after they learn form)

any routine that includes compound lifts and non retarded 3x100 sets is a good routine

I want big legs and a big butt though.

Nice routine, may I borrow it?

Fine, do pic related.

this routine is a clusterfuck of garbage and you probably shouldn't give any advice to anyone doing this type of shit

If you did ss for a year, you could be stronger than many average non-athlete males.

Smallest plates at my gym are 1.25kg...

Linear progression for a solid year!?
Even starting with the bar that sounds brutal.

Then what routine do you recommend?

Monday

Hi Bar Squat 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Bench Press 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Deadlift from 3” Blocks 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Chest Supported Rows 4×10-15 Reps

Walking Lunges 2×12 Steps

Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted If Necessary)

Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps
Wednesday

Front Squat Squat 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Widegrip Bench Press 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Cable Rows 4×10-15 Reps

Leg Press 2×10-15 Reps

DB Incline Bench 2×10-15 Reps

Good Morning 2×10-15 Reps
Friday

Bench Press 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

RDLS 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Lat Pulldowns 4×10-15 Reps

DB Step Ups 2×6 Each Leg

DB Military Press 2×10-15 Reps

Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps
Saturday

Box Squat 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

Closegrip Bench 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR

One Arm DB Rows 4×10-15 Reps

Goblet Squats 2×10-15 Reps

Incline Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted if Necessary)

Good Mornings 2×10-15 Reps

this

I have been called strong at my gym for squatting 3 plates

it took me 5 months to go from 1 plate to 3 plates

every squat session has become a ritual these days, I start warming up with the bar, people give me some strange looks probably thinking I am weak. I load the first plate, no one cares, I load the second plate, I receive some mire stares, I load the third plate and some even start asking questions. One guy asked 2 days ago about my program, I said "SS", and he replied with "what's that?"

most common folks out there know absolutely nothing, they go to the gym thinking they can lift some bullshit weights, go home and that's it for the day. They exercise but do not train....

anyone doing SS will become stronger than everyone doing something completely different than that.

What was your weight when you started?

I was around 85 kg but now I am 92 kg, however my height is 6'1 so I do not look fat. I have been eating a lot the past 3 months, I realized a bit late the importance of eating...

b-but this user said ss is dogshit, should I still start with it?

you definitely should, it has bench press overhead press deadlift squat power clean dips chin ups....

you don't need anything else even if you want to train for size

>should I still start with it?
No, do this

I know some people here hate him but I suggest you listen to this

youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_iEnCfhQ0

>6 months
> squat 180, Deadlift 250, plus 145 bench
dude that's fucking abysmal lmao, it took you half a year to hit 1pl8 bench and you're not even at 2pl8 squat or 3pl8 diddly. your numbers are like 3 month mark numbers, seriously. stop trying to front like you're some fitness expert you little DYEL phaggot.

You are a woman. Starting Strength will be perfect for your aesthetics.

Reps:

45 squats a week
15 deadlifts (at first) a week
45 bench/OHP a week
Chins 6-60 a week depending on strength level

Being a woman, your squats and deadlifts will progress 2-3 times faster than bench/OHP and chin-ups.

You will end up with a great butt and "toned" arms.

Conservative 18 week path:

Squat: 30 lbs -> 300 lbs
Deadlift: 50 lbs -> 300 lbs
OHP/Bench 30 lbs -> 100 lbs
Chin-ups 0 (negatives) -> 3 x 3

lads I'm doing SS and I need some advice on two things:

Number one: After I lift, the next day, when going uphill, my lowerback absolutely fucking kills me. I really struggle. What gives?

Number two: When I started SS about 9 weeks ago, I was squatting about 30-40kg + bar. I could squat fairly easily until I recently reached 2pl8. I started to notice that when I unrack the back, I do it uneavenly, and lift with one shoulder a lot harder and also noticed similar things happen on other lfits. I asked a PT about it and he said my left shoulder was higher up, either from my bones being in a fucked position or it being over developed. What gives? I don't understand. He says he can see a visible tilt and the left shoulder levearages it. What can I do about this? Will I just have to do high bar? that fucking sucks, if so.

thanks.

literally nobody mires a 3pl8 squat, fag

you got babby's first gains and now you have a complex

stop giving advice like you know anything

>literally nobody mires a 3pl8 squat, fag
not even him
but yes, they do.

Fuck off, not that user but there's only a handful of people in my gym that squats 3pl8. The internet has screw with our perception on what is the norm of lifting.

>deadlift 250
>6 months
Did you fucking only do it once every two weeks? I hit 225 in less than a month starting from scratch.

SS is great for noobs who want good squat and DL numbers. Pressing is tricky, and needs to be programmed to the individual generally, which is why people generally end up looking like a t-rex

LOL at that workout, come on brah that's shit

>which is why people generally end up looking like a t-rex
how detached from society is Veeky Forums?

Not him but what coolaid are you drinking

12x3 is 12x3. It doesnt matter if its 10kg or 100kg. It LITERALLY does not matter.

As long as its almost to failure at the 12th rep its a good set for hypertrothy.

I thought hypertrophy begins when weight is more then 60-70% of one rep max.

im glad someone else noticed it.

i've never seen a woman bench 225 like a 'regular' gym dude can. they always have their back arched like a suspension bridge and can do it for exactly one rep at 2" ROM

>girl
>stronger than the average guy

>HIIT training
>Bad
Well I can throw this guy's opinions on cardio out the window.

>How long would I have to do SS to be stronger than the average guy?

lets just say that it will take years, and by the time you nearly get there it will be time for you to get pregnant and lose all of your gains and have to start over from scratch.

being a woman is truly hell.

The effect of hyper muscular tearing occurs once you fatigue the muscle.

There are endless studies on this all proving that the best exercise you can do generally for hyper is 12x3x45s

But you have to stuggle or get close to failure on that last set. Thats the WHOLE point. And its why the whole "SS is good to start with" is such a shitty meme recommendation. If someone wants to start gaining mass right away they should start with hyper not a strength program.

>How long would I have to do SS to be stronger than the average guy?

Well, considering that women have about 55% of the upper body potential strength compared to men, never.

>Nobody cares about getting their numbers up.

And your body doesn't care that you want to build muscle mass/ look good really bad. Lift some weights, you dumb cow.

>12x3x45s
is it 3 sets of 12 reps? what is 45s?

where the fuck are the studies? also, pic related

>As a coach, Smith has helped over 50 athletes earn Division 1 athletic scholarships and worked with athletes in NFL, UFC, MLB and Olympics, as well as having numerous world-class powerlifters.

maybe you should throw yourself out of a window

Ima pray 4 u

lol fuck off

you basically invalidated everything you said by posting that stupid fucking routine

ah, more examples op.

triggered manlet detected

>single mom mother
>negative canthal tilt
>chinlet
>2spooky
>kyphosis
>2miles forward head
>no dad haha
>no friends
>no jaw
>no cheek bones
>probably hypergonadism
>still have gf tho

I'm just a pussy tbachmdf, otherwise I'd lift as much as everyone else who follows a basic strength routine

you missed those leg days brah

idk dude, not OP but I'm 115lbs and at 120/135/75 after about 4 months, and that's including quite a lot of fucking around and skipping workouts. I'm still well under male novice levels, but another full year and then some to close that gap? I know progress slows down, but jeez.

Video yourself to check. Stretch that muscle when you're not working out to make sure you've got good enough mobility to perform the movement under a weight.

Because most people are too retarded to follow those programs, you give them something that will make them learn something. Then they can go onto actually do what they wanted, because now they are not too retarded to become aesthetic.

Most people who come here are not just clueless, they have been actively misinformed about every aspect of fitness. The "muscle confusion" is not dead yet, which gives you a clue about how much misinformation you must correct. SS is a simple and effective starting point

Pic related, powerlifter who cut. People don't understand that muscles that have been trained differently have differently developed muscle fibers (but the same number of muscle fibers as before, but maybe slightly different in distribution)

Depends on how fat your willing to get.

1 -2 years if your willing to go 180 lbs girl bear mode, for squats and deads.

You will never be stronger than dyel man for upper body without roids.

Everything you said is either fucking stupid or an outright fucking lie.

The guy in that pic is a powerlifter who basically destroyed his body with a serious injury and upped the drugs and lifted like a bodybuilder for years while healing.

SS is not a good starting point.
SS is actually a bad starting point for unfit ignorant people and it lays the ground work for a type of exercise methodology that will outright ensure fucking injuries
It also lays the groundwork for outright retardation when it comes to every other exercise that has anything to do with lifting a fucking weight.

The dudes at my gym who do "hypertrophy" routines are generally 160 lb wonders scared of heavy weight

m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AjtX3C5j8

>also i am le grill xD

As a man you're blessed with upper body strength compared to women

I ain't even gonna read this thread

for natties
strength = gains

get into 1/2/3/4 first
then work on your weak points

Yeah and the 200lb fat asses and twerps at your gym who're doing a2g will hit the wall then start ego lifting then snap their shit up or just get tired of looking worse then the chads they shat on for being curlbros and their half squats(you know, because when you're 6'+ natural an a2g squat is almost impossible).

This always happens.