Do you guys do any kind of physical activity outside of lifting?

Do you guys do any kind of physical activity outside of lifting?

I used to do some BJJ/Kickboxing when I was younger and I've really wanted to get back into a martial art I'm just never sure where to go. I also have a friend that does indoor rock climbing and I went with him once when he had a guest pass, seems like it'd be killer for forearms and your upper back.

I'd love to get back into martial arts but I live in the middle of nowhere and work the night shift.

God this sucks, working out is ok, but I feel it's a bit of a waste if I'm not doing any real sport/activity.

>trampoline park/gymnastics
>bicycling
>rowing
>indoor climbing
>hiking

i love lots of things. problem is finding someone to go with. doing these things alone gets boring fast. wish i had friends

There's tons of martial arts gyms around me but the main problem I find is how fucking expensive it is. And also because there are so many I just worry whether anywhere I could go is actually legit. There's all these corner studio no name start ups and then there's stuff like UFC Gym and Millenia. It all feels like some kind of scam to me.

I'd love if there was just some old school trusted boxing gym run by a Clint Eastwood type or some old black guy you see in the movies.

Climbing on an overhang is actually really difficult because your core has to be engaged constantly.

I have a membership to Hangar18 in California.

lifting as a built guy is fucking hell due to mass and heavy legs. fucking girly dyels who look like skeletons swinging like monkeys with zero effort

One nice thing about climbing is all really need are shoes. I also bought a chalk bag but you don't need one.

Yes, the main way to improve at climbing is to lower bodyfat. It might even be advantageous to not have too much muscle mass either.

>lifting
meant climbing

Huh Hanger 18 is actually the one my friend goes to that I'm thinking of starting at. Though I'm not sure how wide spread through Cali they are

Ime 99.9% of no name start ups are serial memers. So they'll be running """mma""" now, before they ran Aikido, before that probably Wing Tsun or Krav Maga etc.

The test for a boxing gym is twofold:
Do they do sparring?
Is most of the sparring technical sparring?

For most others it's lineage, are they connected to either legit teacher-student lines in the case of non competitive martial arts or are they connected to successful athletes in the case of more sporty stuff.

Yeah, work

Mission Viejo, Long Beach, San Clemente, and Upland are the ones I've gone to. They also have two in Riverside and others.

Judo, BJJ and Aikido. I try to go indoor bouldering once in a while.

Not really, that is why I lift. I walk places if I can, but otherwise I am sat at a desk most of the day. Not interested in sports etc

Former army fag here, I do pretty much anything that is outdoors, really fucking into kayaking and mountain climbing. Although I'm starting to lose my triangle figure and am slowly turning into a skinny marathon runner, might consider getting some weights so I can maintain myself.

Opposite for me, I don't give a fuck about lifting but I go climbing regularly. It's really good exercise for basically your entire body, maybe except legs.

>all things that involve communal space besides maybe cycling
just talk to people user

just began training for parkour, also developing upper body strength/losing weight so i can get into rock climbing
>tfw can't even do a full pull up made me realise how out of shape i was

Tfw climbing at 232/6`2 and stats close To 2/3/4/6 at my prime and my 5`8 135lbs dyel as fugg friend mops the floor with me when climbing. We started at the same level but he has long surpassed me in the last few months. I only got an edge on campusing and dynos but even being really close to getting 1arm chinup doesn`t help me with the shitty technique and grimps. It really takes a toll to see all those skinny chicks sending impossible lookin boulders. I should start losing weight or i think my motivation is going to drop because no progress.

You'll develop finger and forearm strength over time and catch up. He has the advantage on crimps simply because of his lower weight. But yeah lifting and climbing are a bit conflicting.

Judo, soccer and golf, tho golf doesn't really count for much.

Judo is a fucking insane workout I love it. Hoping to start competing in the next couple of months as well.

I just lift and play vidya all day

Climbing can be fun but fuck me those who do it as a main hobby are annoying

>Do you guys do any kind of physical activity outside of lifting?
Actually, lifting, running, and yoga, are my side activities. I have 12 training sessions a week + 3 running + 3 lifting + 7 (morning) yoga

>AIKIDO

Why? Do they make you feel uncomfortable?

The atmosphere in climbing gyms is really good, you can talk to everyone and they will help you. Even more so outdoors.

Nah it's just that they won't shut the fuck up about climbing whenever there is more than 1 climber in a social situation. Obviously this doesn't apply in gyms where I'd expect people to talk about climbing

>it's just that they won't shut the fuck up about climbing whenever there is more than 1 climber in a social situation
People love their climbing, let them be

Makes sense, I'm the only one who climbs in my social circle. That complaint applies to most hobbies though and especially people who go to the gym.

I meant that people who climb tend to be friendly in my experience, when I go to a normal gym I wouldn't want to even approach most of the people.

>that pic
t. numale lefty scum

avid climbers have one thing in their head all the time it's all abot "THE PROJECT"

Eh, could also be typical dadbro.

Correct. I have a 1 year old son. When I got these glasses I had an identity crisis but eventually realized that how I look doesn't affect how I really am.

Also, I know this is a V0 but I can regularly send V2 problems.

>eventually realized that how I look doesn't affect how I really am
You go, girl (but, seriously, you're right)

iam more dissgusted by the ill-fitting hook

Picked up boxing, and wound up taking an (extended) break when I injured my rotator cuff while benching

I should get back into it baka

I run and cycle. But similar to OP, I used to do some martial arts. Want to start climbing once working hours get a bit of consistency.

He will definitely develop more crimp strength over time but if he wants to keep those lifts he's going to have to settle for not being a super competitive climber. Having a strong chest and legs works against you for climbing for obvious reasons

>boxing (not competitive atm but fuckton of drills and sparring)
>idiotic amounts of rowing for cardio
>fairly chill day job but I am the go to guy for anything >50lbs that needs to be moved somewhere
>security/door guy at a bar friday and saturday
>avid hiker and biker
>have a wheelchair bound (not retarded) sibling who currently lives with me and gf, need to push her around and lift onto and into and out of stuff pretty regularly if needed
>gf is 175lbs, picking her up during sex and such does its trick too

All of it fairly mild on its own but it adds up I suppose.

pic unrelated

I am guilty of this lel

It's like anything else though, if you have a hobby in common with someone you two will tend to chat about it. It's just that most people actually don't have hobbies

>pic
I WANT TO BITE IT OMNOMNOM

>gf is 175lbs
hahahaha what the fuck, are you dating a whale?

Nah, I just really like me some Amazon pussy. Gf is 6’3 and fairly muscly compared to most women (inb4 shitstorm for either), that drives the scale up a bit. Although she could probably lose a lb or three imho but that doesnt change what I said above.

>Gf is 6’3 and fairly muscly
Makes sense. Sorry about being a Veeky Forums tier retard

Kek, no problem, not the first time I got asked this, not even first time this week.

>Picking up 175lbs. and thrusting and still able to keep an erection

Fuck. My goal is to be as strong as you

I mean, my gf is 100-110lbs (tfw (more than) twice her weight), just thought it was weird until you explained

The whole BJJ club's afraid of my wrist locks by now. :3

>wrist locks
the most Jewish thing there is and you shouldn't really wrist lock people in sparring

>spring/summer
Hiking, biking (want to get into mountain biking too), kayaking, swimming

>fall/winter
Snowboarding, ice fishing (walking two miles on ice with 75lbs of gear is tiring). Winter is when I spend more time lifting.

Yup.

My high school geology teacher was an elitist prick and had to tell us every fucking day about where he went and how many hours he spent climbing.

>do you even climb, bro

Picking up is a strength thing, keeping the boner is a cardio/diet thing, actual medical issues aside. If it soothes your pain a bit, my refractory period after a good rabid fuck is an hour or more, shit IS pretty taxing.

I know the joy of fucking girls half my weight (dated a petite 100lbs womanlet when I was 230), but what can I say, I love me some big stronk women, they pack a punch and most have rather massive glutes coincidentally heh

What's the max I should be looking to spend monthly if I'm trying to get into a martial art?

I snowboard when I can afford it in the winter
I work as a live sound engineer on weekends and we have to move some heavy shit
I'm getting a membership to a small indoor climbing place this summer (The Barn at RIT)
I like to go on short backpacking trips a few times a year

I want to do muay thai and rock climbing. I use to do swimming.

fuck off, not that user but wrist locks are totally acceptable in bjj

I do bjj

Biggest limiting factor in climbing is balls and comfort in placing gear. Outside of gyms, it's possible to be big and able to lead routes that a "5.12+" gym rat will shit themselves on.

A refractory period of 1hour is see a dr immediately as you probably have a disorder tier long

m'ask you a question,
Are the martial arts you practice complementary to each other. Always thought there may be problems or incompatibilities, they work fine together for you?

They're applied in a fast manner and you can easily injure your teammate applying them. If you've got to rely on slapping on wristlocks outside of Mundials/Europeans, you're a scrub

Depends what you're after - sports like jiu jitsu tend to cost more, especially in places like Cali. You should look for legitimacy first, price second

Try having sex with a women of her caliber the way I do and say that again (although I appreciate the concern). For vanilla sex with smaller girls it mostly is like 10-20mins, but I dont want vanilla sex with smaller girls kek

>tfw 5'7 manlet
>tfw will never experience the joys of amazonfu

Jdimsa

I want to get into climbing but my right hand is handicapped and I'm afraid I wont ever be to be good at it. My pull ups and diddlys are hindered by that already.

I obviously don't know how well your hand works and everything but climbing might be good for it if you start with easy enough climbs. Climbing is great for building hand and forearm strength

Ive tried some beginners walls at my uni, it was pretty damn fun. But you have to follow (and pay) a weekend class to try intermediate and advanced ones, so never went for that.

To give you an idea I basically have 3 fingers on my right hand. Cant hang from it while I manage 2-3 one handed pullups with my left.

See it from the flipside, you can make women 5’9 and up your amazonfu already, gives way more choice in partners. With me being 6’1ish myself I need to take what I can get, just my luck that I found a hot one lol

>tfw work colleague is even taller, roughly 6’5
>tfw technically optimal amazon, 10/10 would ride on shoulders into battle
>tfw not a fucking gram of muscle, and face like a bag of smashed assholes
>mfw

If you injure your partners with wrist locks, you're a scrub. If you know them sufficiently well, this isn't an issue.

>almost two meters tall woman
>not a gram of muscle
just bomb this wretched earth already

is she a 350lbs ogre, or the waifish stick type? either is gross but i want to get a mental image of her for some reason

Arlington in riverside is mainly ropes
East hanger 18 is more bouldering setups

I'm a carpenter if that counts.

Waifish stick, not officially anorexic but close, waist the width of my damn thigh. As if Tim Burton drew a praying mantis from distant memory, with roughly the same face too. Absolutely revolting; I mean, still better than being an obeast, but only marginally so.

jfc too much mental image oh dear make it stop

but thanks i guess

I am learning to become a carpenter so I move around a lot on construction sites. I also happen to live close to my dad's farm and help him out a lot too if that counts for anything

>Do they do sparring?
>Is most of the sparring technical sparring?
This also holds true for kickboxing/Muay Thai gyms, mma gyms and BJJ gyms.

Some other things to look for are:
Whether or not they do pad work.
Whether or not the instructor actually participates in the drills/exercises with the class.

No problems really, I play a different game in each, but the core principles are the same because you can only lock a joint in so many ways, and you need correct mechanical leverage for any throw. Initially it was slightly confusing, but I'm long past that stage.

Never messed up the rules in competition either, so it's all nice and dandy.