"Celebrating" the fact that Total War: Three Kingdoms will be about as historically accurate as a Dynasty Warriors game...

"Celebrating" the fact that Total War: Three Kingdoms will be about as historically accurate as a Dynasty Warriors game, what is there to know about warfare in Three Kingdoms period China?

I heard a lot about fancy stuff such as elaborate pike and Ji formations, crossbows used as if they were arquebuses during the pike and shot era, and so on. Naturally, if this is true, then none of that will be in the game because that would take much too much effort to create compared to just having hero units and useless meat shields.
Basically, what is there to learn about this era that can further compound my disappointment?

Other urls found in this thread:

bilibili.com/video/av18615598/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

twtk is going to be warhammer without flying shit and heroes that can wreck 300-600 normal units

Of fuck off man, Total War has never been historically accurate nor tried to be. Play Scourge of War, or a John Tiller game, AGEOD or Gary Grigsby, perhaps an HPS simulations game? You know? Games with engines that have the capacity to be historically accurate? Games that are made to be historically accurate? God Grognards are autistic.

Which one of those are set in Three Kingdoms period?

None as far as I know. Because the autists that buy these games are usually into American and Euro history. But don't reeeeeee at CA like an autist because Three Kingdoms is not going to be historically accurate. Because Total War has N E V E R even tried to be historically accurate.

Arr rook same. In all seriousness I hope minor officers wear period accurate armaments.

Well then we're just gonna have to wait for the mods, I guess.

Any Three Kingdoms game that doesn't have self-directed ballista tanks and shounen heroes spamming X is going to be more historically accurate than Dynasty Warriors by default.

>modern CA
>mods
hahahahahahahahahah. But really if you want to reeeeee at CA for anything it is the lack of mod support.

Christ's sake, why are you so angry? Upset because it's not one of your logistics spreadsheet simulators?
Total War games have at least tried to get the most basic aspects of their respective time periods right (provided they weren't busy putting New Kingdom Egypt in 150BC).

>Upset because it's not one of your logistics spreadsheet simulators?

What? No, I like Total War AND my spreadsheet simulators. I don't like it when Grognards screech that it is not a spreadsheet simulator and try to mod it into being like that.

There's a big difference between depicting units with the arms, armour and approximate tactics of the time, and having them just be useless mooks running around with nothing but a one handed sword.
Preferring the former does not make you autistic

>t. someone who has never played Warhammer
The hero units in Warhammer, while good, are most certainly support units. Even the big monster heroes will get their HP drained in a minute if you attack them with good units. Even something like pic related gets absolutely destroyed by, say, grail knights.

That being said I hope the Hero units are just like foot generals, slightly above average soldiers who give good buffs. Maybe captains would be a good name? That and I hope when they die they die. If they are Warhammer level strong and or can just respawn I will be disappointed. But even if they are Warhammer level strong, as long as they can not respawn I might be fine with them, because like I said, even in Warhammer if you are counting on just your heroes to win battles you will get fucked.

>hero units
>historically accurate

Lmao, they're fucking wrecking machines.

Again.
>t. someone who has never played Warhammer
They aren't. Like, at all. On top of the fact that there are normal units designed to snipe them, even if you throw a unit like that giant monster I posted into a mass of five regular units they are going to get fucking destroyed because of how much damage they will take. On top of that if you destroy an army that a hero is attached to you do not even need to kill it as it will just run away anyways because of the moral penalties.

>mass of five regular units
I don't think that proved your point

It actually did, people who have not played Warhammer act like heroes can take on armies by themselves and that they ruin all strategy in the game. This is not true. Even the biggest hero, Kolek, can still lose to like 5 normal sword units. And the humanoid ones can lose to even less. Armies are still what win battles, heroes are just support units.

Wanting verisimilitude in your historical war games does not make you an autist.

But most of these mods just make the game play worse. I see modders who say things like "We are going for a scale of 1 unit model to represent 20" or some other nonsense like that. If we look at, Scourge of War for instance, it has sprites, and you can lower the number of sprites to make the game run faster. However a unit will ALWAYS be, for instance 500 men, even if it only shows 100. So the game will still calculate the losses like it is 500 men. That way you can actually get historic troop numbers on the battlefield. What these modders do not seem to understand however, is that this simply does not work with Total War at all, if you have 200 models in a unit, that unit is 200 men, 500 models in a unit, 500 men. So what they do is make the armies bigger and make EVERYTHING relating to combat slow as shit, they make units inaccurate, they make cannons weak. They make melees take forever. Thinking "hey, if combat is slow and feels horrible to play then it is realistic :^)" The Total War engine is simply not capable of being realistic. At BEST you can get a divisional level engagement going in the 1700s/1800s, or a small scale medieval battle. But anything to do with larger battles, let alone China? Get out of here. And again, Total war has never tried to be historically accurate? So why are people complaining now about "muh unrealistic units" when Rome and Med II are not realistic in the slightest.

That's a quarter of your fucking army tardnugget.
Killed by one guy.

>game based of tabetop fantasy game is unrealistic
Made me think.
But really like I said, the humanoid heroes would get killed by two units. I also said that Kolek, the biggest and most powerful melee hero would get killed by five standard swordsman.

Mods? We just want the TW-guys to try to stick toi history at least somewhat and not go full fantasy.

As far as I understand it, Warhammer is fantasy, Thrones of Britannia is going to be """history""" and Three Kingdoms is going to be a mix.

So ToB will be more historical, meaning that unit variety will be pathetic
TK won't be, meaning that unit variety will be pathetic

That's 700 swordsman

>Implying Lu Bu won't be able to kill that many by himself

TW has always - ALWAYS - tried to go for movie history.

>"Celebrating" the fact that Total War: Three Kingdoms will be about as historically accurate as a Dynasty Warriors game
>what is there to learn about this era that can further compound my disappointment?

No. So far we have no information but one CGI promotion trailer, no actual gameplay, no actual mechanism information, nothing. The only thing being confirmed is the "story" of TWT is derived from ROTK novel, not Records of Three Kingdoms nor Dynastic Warrior(which is based on Koei's fantasy). Stop whining.

This is a CA interview made by a representative of Chinese translation team and a Chinese forum manager.
bilibili.com/video/av18615598/