I'm about 180lbs right now but I can run a 400m sprint easily...

I'm about 180lbs right now but I can run a 400m sprint easily. The only problem is that I think I might have exercise induced asthma. When I'm done my chest is burning, I start wheezing and coughing, and I feel like I'm about to pass out. What can I do to be able to work out everyday without this problem? Do I even have EIA?

Height? You might just be fat broheim.

Might be the nature of the explosive sprint causing rapid inflammation or some shit. Do you start out full speed or work up to your sprint?

5'7" and I've felt this way even before I put on the weight. Back in high school when we did laps I would always taste blood in my throat and have a very intense burning sensation

I start out full speed. I don't usually work out so it's not exactly easy but I've got great endurance and can power through it, it's just the breathing problems

This desu bro-saurus

Listen to this guy. Start your sprints gradually building up speed. At least 4 seconds of increasing spedd until you get to your sprint speed, when you stop/finish your 400, jog and slow down. Dont stop.

Follow that formula and you wont get injured.

Worst way to sprint is going from standing to full sprint and then stopping/sitting down when youre gassed out. That's bad for your car and its bad for your body and legs and lungs.

Just keep running, try throwing in distance days to bro-senpai

>I'm about 180lbs right now but I can run a 400m sprint easily

What is your time?

2 minutes lol idk if that's good or not.

I don't get how that helps with the breathing problem. It's just going to make losing weight harder by causing me to burn less calories on the slow buildup.

Its okay, you need to do intervals and longer runs sometimes

Longer? That's like one of the longest sprints in the Olympics. I'm not hercules

Your chest hurts because of your sudden and start and stop of a sprint.

You start behind the line maybe 20 meters or less, start jogging up to line then accel. If you want to burn calories just go on longer runs bro. Sure sprints burn calories faster but if you run more overall you will obviously burn calories.

In fact you are burning more calories this way because youd probably be running around 450 meters with the jogging in the beginning and end.

The point of my OP was that the difficulty breathing is preventing me from running longer than 400m without feeling like I'm going to pass out or start coughing up blood. I highly doubt that will change by starting off slow.

Does arm movement make any difference on anything? I've heard so much about how to position your arms but I can't imagine how that'd help

Yuwot?

Go for a 1 mile run, pace yourself each lap.

I run both short and long distances. Mostly middle distance and long distance but they both compliment each other.

Sprints increase vo2 max and long runs increase endurance. For running of all kinds you need both. I usually run 5ks and 10ks a few times each week.

My 5k days are really 2 miles with 1 mile of sprints/intervals. Honestly i could do with more intervals but not sure where to put them. Ill probably dedicate a day for 1 mile warmup and 2 miles of intervals, 30 second sprints and 60 second sprints.

Swing your arms naturally. I usually keep my wrists pretty relaxed and arms at around (or above) a 90 degree angle at my sides.

Do longer runs (as i keep saying) and open up your strides real big. Get your lungs used to taking big breaths (big strides = big breaths = larger vo2 max = better sprints)

So basically sprinting is more of a job than an activity...All this stuff you gotta think about is crazy. I think I'm going to join a local track team because I don't just want to shed the pounds, I want to be able to improve cardio health

>I'm about 180lbs right now
Men weigh >200lbs

start eating more buddeh

chances are you're just out of shape, keep working on the cardio and it should go away.

Like I mentioned in another post, I've been having this problem since high school (I'm 22 now) and I was really skinny and fit back then

This.

Youre probably not used to running/sprinting.

Bumping with infographs

Joining a track team would help. But I think if you condition your lungs to take the beating youd be good. Long runs usually accustom my lungs for sprints.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I was born with a heart condition where they had to rewire my heart to pump all the blood through a single ventricle or whatever. I don't know if this would affect my performance but I never felt like I had any problems before

If you don't do long runs then how do you know if you have endurance. Long runs promote base building. This affects muscles and cardio endurance. Do at least one long run a week.

Wait, what? Yes it will affect you.

Yeah but it can't be that bad, right? I mean it's not like my lungs are affected

Your heart and your lungs have to work together.

I just learned that at my weight, a 10mph sprint burns 24 calories. So I could literally get a 240kcal workout in 10 minutes?? How true is this?

10mph is not Not NOT a sprint

That's a terrible 400m "sprint".

You do not have EIA. That's what happens when you exercise and push yourself. Run slower and longer fatty.

Use an inhaler you dingus.

Ok then wtf is a sprint? Because every running calculator only has 10mph as their highest.

You could try seeing an educated professional rather than asking anonymous online strangers.

That's a terrible time for a sprint, but if you're doing distance running it's not quite as bad

Thats literally jogging pace

A sprint is just running as fast as possible. For example, Usain Bolt can do the 100m sprint in under 10 seconds

The fastest you can go
400m of sprinting should feel like death

In track & field terms, sprint races go up to 400m, where the athletes will be running at near top speed (actual top speed is only reached in shorter 100/200m sprints)

Look at some HIIT routines if you're just training for fitness

Unless running from the cops, then it's completely natural

Yeah I realise that now. I typically jog at 5mph and I was thinking 10mph was a lot, then I realised it's only twice my current speed. But still, 24 calories per minute is great. I think I could probably run 400m in 1.5 minutes though. Like that other guy said, Usain Bolt runs the 100m in under 10 seconds, so 400m around 40 seconds. I would probably need 60-90 seconds.

Doesn't look like your looking for help. You've already diagnosed yourself with asthma, you're fishing for sympathy maybe? I don't know, but ignoring literally every single thing any of the experienced runners on this board have to say that isn't, "Yep, you've got a horrible disease, you're not just a pussy, user." is a red flag.

You're just fat. I have exercise induced asthma. That's not what it feels like. What exercise induced asthma feels like is like you're breathing normally but you're not getting any oxygen. As if you're just breathing in water vapor. Asthma is just the inability of alveoli to absorb oxygen, either by being closed or being blocked by mucus.

What are you, six? Be glad there's at least something to actually think about instead of the whole hobby being grinding against your heart and lungs as hard as you can.

He's probably under 6'4", you fat fucking cow.