Clearly Papua New Guinea is Western

how is that possible, it's in the eastern side of the island after all

Because Huntington said so.

>Papua-Neuguinea is western
>Israel is not
>The category "lone countries" exist, yet Japan has another category for itself
>For some sort of reason, Haiti is also considered "lone country"
- etc. etc.

This map is so bad man, how did he get away with it?

>tfw argie
Can't wait to sacrifice a goat to Quetzalcoatl after I finish this spicy taco and dance salsa in the favelas with my friends from a mariachi band.

Daily reminder that Huntington wrote his thesis "clash of civilizations" not to definitively define civilizational space but to explain what he thought would be the driving force of ideological conflict within the post-cold war era. Philippines and Pauapu New Gunia are blue likely because Huntinton considered them to be be Western vassals in a geopolitical sense. The fact that he made Philippines a mix of blue and red is actually strangely accurate as durete seeks to move the Philippines towards closer ties with China. I'd personally say a map like this is a better representation of "clash of civilizations" circa 21st century but I don't begrudge Huntington for trying.

so why south korea and japan isn't western?

idk, I never read his book. Maybe I will now since i'm in a library.

>the whole ocean and lakes are buddhist
fucking based

I dunno, maybe something about being culturally Asian while being technologically western or something? I mean I could be pulling this out of my ass.

Any attempt at creating "blocks" is ultimately useless because at the end of the day you'll be reduced to looking at the particularities of *every* state/nation/cultural/linguistic/religious group.

Even if you defined it in terms of political alignment it's meaningless. Let's say he got the Philippines right, everything else is wrong.

Japan and South Korea are clearly aligned with the US. Western Europe (EU) is forming its own bloc and increasingly distant from the US. Greece is not aligned with Russia in any meaningful way. South America is mostly aligned with the US while hating each other. Venezuela is aligned with Russia and China. And so on.

I’m and while just skimming though the book (don’t really feel like reading it in depth now) it’s pretty apprent that Huntington takes for granted the perspective that A.) China, Korea and Japan were never truly westernized in a cultural sense and B.) Those 3 nations are clearly on a path of active and deliberate independence from the Western world. Despite being tied up with economic and alliances, it’s tough to argue againt the fact that China, Korea and Japan have since the 1990s moved closer towards Asian development. pic 1 of 2, if sideways you can download it and crop it to see it straight.

2/2

Looks like Warsaw

If only USSR would completely destroy religion as it promised

Eh, even in that context it's clear Hunington was swinging way out of his league. I cannot picture a world where Iran and Saudi Arabia don't hate each other's guts in the foreseeable future. Japan pursuing self determination so far that it becomes its own ideological bloc is also more than a bit ridiculous. It wants more military freedom, but it's far from becoming as neutral as India. Ethiopia being a "lone" country is also "out-there" considering it's the seat of the African Union.

"Latin American"

No such thing exists.

Argentina is Latin American not Western.

Brazilian here. Seconded.

That's his point

true.

Yeah, unlike Papua New Guinea which has a clear Western culture derived from Europe (mostly Southern European) with almost no native influences to speak of, and has historically been considered part of the West, Argentina is clearly non-Western because of it's native, polygamous culture and tribal society, which clearly places it as a separate civilization.

Latin America is not a single culture.
It's a geographic term. Like Oceania.
Almost everything is different between Latin American countries aside from the language.

So there is no contradiction. Argentina is both Western and Latin American.

Sarcasm overload.