How do you get over a weight loss plateau? I started at 245 in January...

How do you get over a weight loss plateau? I started at 245 in January, been hitting the gym 6 days a week for the last three months. I'm currently at 220 and have been the last three weeks. After the first week of no loss I cut some shit out of my diet and started focusing on cardio more. I can see/feel a difference but nothing changes on the scale.

>pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943438/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571
strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/
rippedbody.com/how-to-bulk/
bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html
bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump with more fit girls

If you can see / feel the weight then just keep going — stop worrying about your actual weight, since it sounds like your body fat percentage is still dropping.

However, if you still wish to reduce your weight the you probably need to readjust your calorie intake downwards after your earlier substantial weight loss.

Are you me? Started at 275 and been sitting at 220 for a while. I got down to 218 a couple weeks ago but was back up to 223 two days later. My weight is all over the place. After the 223 weighin I cut my calories by another 200 and have been counting religiously. I mean, calories in, calories out, right? WTF?

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently at a 26 bmi, starting at well over 30. So, despite not seeing a number drop on the scale I should just keep doing what I'm doing?

eat at maintenance or slight surplus for a week or two to reset your hormones then start cutting again and you'll be dropping weight again.

Have you been able to see a noticable difference while at your plateau? I definitely can, but still frustrating to not see the number drop.

>tfw solid gut with abs starting to poke through

Should I stick with cardio or can I get back into lifting heavy again?

You're likely just retaining water, as your body is building muscle.

Switch up your routines a bit, and keep going. You'll get past this plateau in a few more weeks. When the weight does start to drop off again, it will probably happen very qucikly..

>reset your hormones

Is this broscience or is it real?

It's hard to see much of anything cause I was so fat I have a ton of extra belly skin. Face looks thinner though.

>plateauing after 25lbs weight loss

Cut harder faggot. Unless you're >6'2 you shouldnt truly plateau until 185

I am 6'2

Currently on a 1000 calorie deficit a day. To much more and I'd be doing more harm than good right?

Do this then

If that doesn't work try a ketogenic diet.

Will do, thank you.

you can do whatever you want, all it matters is that you don't eat at deficit for some time

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943438/

Sweet, I appreciate it man thanks.

any more michelle lewin? shes the best

thanks pal

The rest are at bodybulding.com somewhere

No worries, if you reverse image search one of the pics she did a whole photo shoot for them awhile back

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

and here is one more thing about cutting. basically it says to stay at around 0.7% bw/week deficit to maintain and in some cases even gain muscle and strength.

obviously if you don't care about retaining mass and strength you can do pretty high deficits but you will also stall much faster depending on your current weight/bf%.

basically when you cut you should do it with those two things in mind. once you stall for more than 2 weeks you should eat at maintenance or slight surplus for 1-3 weeks then slowly start to cut again if needed.

damn, that whole album has a lot of great stuff.

as for the weight thing, i too have hit a plateau. i even rebounded around 5-8 lbs. i did a 24 hour fast after going WAY over my tdee one night and that i was losing weight again. this may help; but to be honest, im not sure if the fast and weight loss are related.

If your TDEE is 2500 and you eat 2800 but you vurn 300 you wont lose weight. It all comes down to CICO m9

You've tanked your hormones.

Go on a 7-10 day diet break. Eat at maintenance and continue to exercise.

You can go look up lyle mcdonalds talks on it.

So basically, I am fucking my gains running at a 50% deficit? The reason for the cut was getting to 26 bmi to be applicable for military service. I'm there now, so I should be able to lift, eat at or near maintenance and not worry about my bmi going up, right?

I don't see how that even matters though. Having low test does not allow your body to break the law of thermodynamics, nor does it allow it to create matter out of thin air to burn for energy so you stay at the same weight.

>calories in vs calories out is King

Okay, stupid.
The body isn't a fucking perfect machine. Like a lever.
The body doesn't even fucking BURN calories.
Cico matters, you're right.
But you do realize that the body will do everything it can do to burn FEWER calories correct? That someone who thinks they need 2000 calories to maintain will in fact needs 1800 to maintain and someone else who thinks they need 2000 will need 2250. +

they still go by bmi? bmi is horrible for guys with muscles. according to it i'm overweight at 12% bf.

but yes, eating at that high of a deficit you are completely destroying your muscles and strength. if i were you i'd get to around 12% bf then start controlled bulk (200-300 over). that way you will always be lean since you will never go past 15% bf and still gain muscle at a very fast rate compared to other methods. pic related

these two sources will tell you everything you need to know

strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/

rippedbody.com/how-to-bulk/

"Tanked your hormones"

you are a fucking moron

>machine
>lever

lol. Yeah, the body will adapt all the way down to a 1k caloric deficit. It will magically be able to use 1k calories a day to main your 220lb frame becuz muh adaptability. Stop spreading Lyle McDonalds shit.

The problem I'm having is getting down to that low amount of bf%

>like 1500 calories a day
>barely losing any weight
>actually gained 2lbs and I autistically track my intake

feelsdepressingm8

what's your height and current weight? don't eat at such high deficit because you will stall and feel like shit. 500 is plenty to steadily drop weight.

do you do compounds? 1500 seems awfully low for someone that lifts if you are of average height and weight.

Im not average, and I do compounds; more specially I follow the PHAT routine.

>5'6
>174.2lbs
>lifestyle is sedentary, basically only gym cause uni student

bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html

Post anything, absolutely fucking anything that will prove me wrong right now.
No seriously.

try adding some cardio after lifting. rowing is pretty rad

Fuck yeah I appreciate all the help man. Bookmarked those pages. I had noticed that my arms were beginning to lose size the last week or so. Gonna start lifting again eating at maintenance for the next week

Okie, I'll try m8

Not necessarily. You should keep track of fat %, as if you are lifting and eating 500 kcal deficit (w/ a clean diet), you may be building enough muscle to stall your weight loss. If your diet is dirty, but at a deficit, you need to reduce calories.

Either way, for every 10 pounds/5ish kilos lost, you should recalculate your TDEE, so you don't accidentally yourself.

Seconding this.

Your body will eventually get used to lower calorie amount ( doesn't mean it's continuously good for you ) and you can't just chip away at your food intake forever.

Give your body some extra food for a bit and then get back to the restriction. Consider having a "cheat day" once or twice a month.

the biggest difference makers i've found have been cutting more aggressively (1000 calorie deficit instead of 500, i feel like shit on a cut anyway so why not just get it over with twice as fast) and periodically taking full diet breaks

the diet breaks especially, i think they're very underutilized, you end up gaining absolutely no weight back and the same calorie deficit is more effective when you get back to dieting

bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

wew, this

this works very well
definitely not broscience

Don't use BMI. I'm 17% bodyfat and clinically obese according to BMI.