Where did the Slavs come from

Where did they come from? Why did they only enter history in the 6th century?

Is the Scythian/Sarmatian connection legitimate?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serboi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclaveni
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

norse roots

They come from the Baltics, as evidenced by their linguistic similarities to Lithuanian and Latvian

So Belarus

Ancient Arya

>language = genetics
This is your brain on McDonalds

As far as I remember, the Slavic languages separated from the Baltic ones only 3000 years ago, that's surprising.

>>language = genetics

Yes, that is the reasoning that inspired your hero to start a world war and destroy Europe.

>Where did they come from? Why did they only enter history in the 6th century?
They dont. Stop reading false history.
First mention of slavic name comes from Pliny the Elder.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serboi

>your hero
Americans please leave this thread, this board and this website.

I doubt Serbs were ever Slavic. They're probably the result of migratory Gypsies from the Indian peninsula mixing with Paleo-Balkanites.

Probably closer to 2000 years ago.

t. =U=

No, proto-Baltic and proto-Slavic diverged from each other. What you’re saying is the same as when people say that humans are descended from chimpanzees.

Balts are chimpanzees

Be honest. Does this look like a Slav to you, or like a shitskinned Paki?

>picking someone who doesn't even have a typical surname to represent an entire nation of ~10 milion people

Oh so we're back at the "EVERY EXAMPLE IS CHERRY PICKING" routine.

Is anybody interested in reading a post about the archaeology of the slavs?

They were an Indo-European people. So there's a connection to Scythians and Samartians right there.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclaveni

Stop being buttmad and take that shit back with you to /pol/. If you have something constructive to say, say it.

You do realize that none of us are in any way similar to the ancient peoples that were the foundation of our cultures, right? Modern slavs are nothing like ancient slavs, same with the germanic peoples. Baffling no one on Veeky Forums understands this

The only real connection between the Sarmatians and the early Slavs is the Penkovskaya culture. The region that can be linked to the Slavic ethnogenesis is the territory north of the Carpathians, it has nothing to do with Sarmatians.

Modern Serbs are nothing like ancient Slavs or modern Slavs for that matter.

Not an argument, Dragon Turkovic.

This is very interesting theory.

Karelia is rightful Polish clay, prove me wrong

Mental gymnastics.

If you think reading sources makes you a historian, you're in for a disappointment. Hopefully.

Yes, you read every possible source you can find and then try to construct a possible story. Its just like a giant puzzle.
What am I supposed to do, read just one source/historian?

Analyze the source. You can't blindly trust everything that was written a couple of millennia ago. Ammianus Marcellinus describes the Huns as greedy, claustrophobic bi-polars, despite the fact he had never seen a Hun in his life; what do we do?

I don't trust anyone, I just said that Pliny first mentioned the name.

And you think the people Pliny mentioned are the Slavs of 5th century?

Do you have any theory?
The name is consistent throughout the history.

It's not my theory, it's what's accepted in academia. The people called by Procopius 'Slavs' appear in the archaeological record in the very late 5th but mostly 6th century. The spread of their material culture confirms the movement described by historians. These are the ancestors of modern Slavic countries. Late fifth century, not first.

>Bulgarians
>Slavs

>the birthplace of Cyrillic
>Slavs

They can't just pop out of nowhere in the 5th century. Who lived in the Eastern Europe before them? We have Polabian Slavs who are closely related to Wends who are closely related to Lusitan Sorbs etc...
But, the name Sorb/Serb/Sirb is always consistent.

>Turkic step archers who picked up the language
>Slavs

Apparently they can, it's why it's called 'ethnogenesis'. And don't forget it happened during the Great Migration period, a post-Atilla Europe.

You are not familiar with the topic. Stop posting.

>You are not familiar with the topic. Stop posting.
You know I'm right, cry harder

You are on Mount Stupid, dear friend. I'm not wasting my time with you.

Well I'm glad you can concede defeat like an adult

In that case, if we assume that ancient Serbs were same as Slavs from the 5th century, only possible source is again Pliny, he gives exact location, I quote 'Ultiomoquein ostio Cimmerium, quod antea Serberion vocabantur.' - Cimmerium, formerly known as Serberion.

>Cimmerium
Is that the land north of the Black Sea? That's Penkovskaya culture, Slavs still, but the land of modern day Serbia was infiltrated with Slavs from the Prague culture, who spread north to south. Even modern day Serbian is part of the Southern dialects, not the Eastern.

>Is that the land north of the Black Sea?
Yes.
>Slavs still, but the land of modern day Serbia was infiltrated with Slavs from the Prague culture
You mean Lusitian Sorbs who are also called Wends?

Yes. The Wends are Prague-Korchak culture.

Sorry I must go now, it was nice talking to you.

>Hindustan
>Serbs themselves claim to be Pakis
I think that settles it then.

Croatians come from the ancient iranian aryan tribe of Harahvaiti who migrated west with the avars similarly to the poles. Harahvaiti and iranians are white and based

whos talking about genetics here? there is no such thing as slav genetics, slavs are a linguistic family

bulgarians speak slavic, so from that aspect they are slavs

otherwise, bulgarians had writing and a powerful empire, of course they are different from the rest of slavs, who were slaves

Bulgarians were Iranic peoples with lots of turkic influences. Non slavic words in the bulgarian language are iranic in origin. Protobulgarian architecture is similar to sogdian architecture. Bulgarians never used the term khan, that is a pop history misunderstanding of the 19th century. The bulgarians worshipped fire like other iranic religions not the sky like turkics.

The Bulgarian gene pool has almost 0% turkic admixture, while having lots of indoeuropean and paleobalkan admixture which means its impossible for protobulgarians to have been turkic.

>Non slavic words in the bulgarian language are iranic in origin
are they unique to bulgarian? im willing to bet they are shared with every other slav language or are turkisms shared with other balkan languages

We already know where they come from: modern Ukraine and Poland.

The better question is: when and how they became so numerous and took over most of Eastern Europe. Like, at the fall of Rome everything North-East of the Limes is considered Germania and is a home to Germanic kingdoms. Fast forward 1-200 years and it's Slavic kingdoms everywhere from the Balkans to Spree. What the fuck happened?

>germanics = germans
who made this map

>semantics
kys

>look like a Slav
There's no such thing, you subhuman brainlet. Slavs are only a linguistic group.

This guy knows his history.
I with the commie-era propaganda of "we wuz khans and shit" would someday end.

The Romans were writing about the tribes that were at their borders, not the tribes that were 500km away from their borders.

There was the Great Migration that was happening as the Roman Empire was falling apart. A whole bunch of nomads moved into Europe via the Eurasian steppe, most notably the Huns, which pushed the Germanic tribes towards the Romans.
The problem was, nomadic horsefuckers like the Huns, Sarmatians, Avars, Pechenegs, etc., while good at warfare, had no basis to create organized, efficient societies. Also, many of them came into Europe very few in number, so that most of their troops and subjects were of a different ethnicity to the ruling class (e.g. the Huns, most of whose troops and many of whose lords were Goths).
This ensured that Central and Eastern Europe, which were somewhat sparsely populated during the upheavals of the Migration Period, were ripe pickings for a well-organized, sedentary society, which is what the Slavs were. The fact that they were excellent agriculturalists meant that their population was dense, and as they expanded, they easily assimilated the Iranic, Germanic, and eventually Ugro-Finnic peoples around them. The expansion of the East and West Slavs was probably relatively peaceful.
The South Slavs, on the other hand, were more bellicose. They pushed into the Balkans, which was certainly more densely populated than the Eurasian steppe, motivated by the promise of riches. They mounted constant raids on Byzantine towns. The Byzantines had little to gain from attacking Slavic settlements, which were quite rustic and poor. They also had no centralized opposition to decapitate, as the Slavs had no larger social organ than the village. Interestingly, there is evidence to suggest that the Slavs were very willing to assimilate outsiders, and probably had a system of thralldom like the Vikings, in which a slave's offspring would be free, or the slave could buy his freedom. The Slavs may have considered the ability to speak their language the most important factor for acceptance. The word Slav is probably derived from "slovo",

meaning word, whereas the word for German, which was originally applied to foreigners in general, means "mute" (in Russian, "nemeckij"). Genetic evidence in particular suggests that the South Slavs assimilated foreigners very freely, with Y-DNA haplogroups not associated with the Early Slavs predominating throughout the Balkans.

Thread ruined from the start by South "Slavic" mutts that know nothing. All we miss now is that Silesian mongrel eternally butthurt at his country.

Aren't Baltics Slavs?

no

Nah, balts are fingolian but worse

No, they don't. Balts and Slavs come from Balto-Slavic which in turn comes from Proto-Balto-Slavic, which comes from Corded Ware, R1a Aryans from Pontic steppe.

There are two schools here when it comes to Slavic origin: Autochthonous and Allochthonous. Same as with Autochthonous Germanics in Poland, in that case it was completely debunked due to lack of evidence, even though there is still some major screeching done by Pan-Germanistic enthusiasts on many forums.

>Where did the Slavs come from
hell

That would be Germanic tribes.

worst map ever

>Germans
And the wuwuzz continues.

Those maps are so wrong, my brain hurts.

Krauts always tried to claim Celtic, Baltic and Slavic cultures as their own. Their misinterpretation of Ptolemy is laughable.

They were always like Americans with their "MUH HERITAGE"

This is very nice picture, look for slavic toponyms in German town names.

Slavs are descended from Northeastern Corded Ware population, who stayed separated and far away from Rome, but had contacts with East Germanics. They possibly also absorbed some semi-related populations (like many Balts, and some Scytho-Sarmatians), and this is why they became so numerous.

Yes, please.

I find it amusing that people only care about Bulgarians that became ruling elite and assimilated with people they conquered, and not about the majority of people whose language Bulgarians took as their own.

I looked into it and found they came from Northern-Russia (think novgorod area) and areas of the baltics.

Probably Ow and Itz, 6k places, kek.

if the thread is not archived by time i finish work, i will write a short summary of what's in russian and czech literature

I'll bump it for you.

They're Balts that got lost in the woods.

Your brain got lost during your birth.

knowing there's interest in anything but memes and haplogroups makes me feel better about the place. thanks

Never insult Balts again

Freed Black Slaves aka Slavs

I don't see how you construed it as an insult. If anything, it was a great compliment.
Slavic is synonymous to South Balt. Proto-Balto-Slavic split into 3 different dialectical zones. East Balts at east (ex. Lithuanians), West Balts at west (ex. Prussians) and South Balts at south (ex. Sklavonians). These South Balts started to call themselves Slavs at some point and their modern linguistic designation is Slavonic. This is of course pretty misleading as it would be more logical to call them as South Balts as that's what they are linguistically. This Balto-Slavic hybrid word is useless and illogical, it should be just Balt.

They have been different since Corded Ware split into factions over 4000 years ago

>They have been different
Nope. They had more in common than Celts and Germanics.

How come the center of that map never adopted a larger Slavic identity when it's surrounded on all sides by them?

Austrians and Hungarians kicked them all out or assimilated them

I shall not let the thread die!
In the last moment too, it seems.

>Sorben
Beautiful.

Germanics and Celts - fierce warrior races

slavs - slaves

no wonder their countries are shit

>no oxford comma
Lads, why haven't europoors been sterilized yet? And I don't just mean their estrogen theraphy

East Slavs weren't peaceful either, their ancestors Antes were fighting against Byzantium too