I love running SO FUCKING MUCH

Sorry for the over-excited shitpost, but does anyone else run? I just started running and I got a little LITTLE taste of the runner's high, but I got to my finish before it could kick in completely. Anyone else got the full taste? If so how's it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ymv6ly8hqgQ
runnersworld.com/tag/it-band-syndrome
shockdoctor.com/knee-patella-support-strap
shockdoctor.com/runners-therapy-iliotibial-band-strap
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Runners high is real. It feels like euphoria - not much else I can explain it as. Just makes you a happy boy. Very refreshing

loved it until i met a gf who got me into cycling. haven't run since. not only is it better for the joints but the distances i can make and visit various places puts running to shame.

Oh yeah I FUCKING LOVE cycling too, I especially love the speeds I reach. But sadly there isn't no sport team for that in my area.

Cycling in the alps every other weekend, it's literally the most enjoyable thing in my life.

Did my first sub 25 min 5k yesterday, felt pretty good. I only really run now at moderate pace after lifting so haven't had that feeling in years.

Ran the ottawa winterman marathon in feb. First marathon. Very rewarding.

I'M PROUD OF YOU! I'M FUCKING PROUD OF YOU!

Its ok. Running once or twice a week for 5km-10km. I prefer swimming tho

Running is great. Don't overdo it though. Ran a year of collegiate cross country. 70miles a week will kill your love for running.

>I prefer swimming tho
this
I do both once a week but swimming is more fun for me

I wish I knew this feel
>Tfw grown ass man and dunno how swim

I'm going to take swim classes at the local community college this summer

the problem with cycling is the lack of ROM which gives a harder time to burn calories and makes the muscles fatigue a lot easier

>not preferring the objectively superior option: swimming

How to get runner's high?

I find running such a chore. I can easily switch off and swim the laps in a pool. But I cant seem to do the same for running, any advice?

Nice man! I'm trying to get down to 25 myself

Run outside, avoid the treadmill. You want to travel physical distance

I have started running but im having issues with my heel strike, im trying to learn how to strike properly :/

Watch videos on form again and again. Next time you go for a run focus exclusively on your form. My knees were getting fucked until I did this.

You should not be landing on your heel.

I hate running. With a fucking passion.

Sprinting is cool, I used to do and be good at that. Going fast is fun.

Long steady state shit like 10k sucks ass. It's boring and simply an exercise in mild discomfort for a long time. Stuff like best effort 5k...fuck me, that's an exercise in how long you can tolerate feeling like you can't breathe, you legs are going to stop working and you're about to die.

If only I didn't have to run a shit ton to join the military.

Nigger detected

Fellow cyclist here, the extra distances are awesome, I did 150km last wednesday and I'm planning a 240km trip in a few months, it's a great way to get to new places.

I've been trying to extend my running distances until I can do a marathon, I'd like to get some kind of heart rate and distance monitor to better analyse my progress, any recommendations?

Just wait till you start trying to get your time down to the high teens

Its only boring and unpleasant if you suck at running

Only if you have money or live close to a big landmass of water.

>landmass of water.

I only ever had a runners high after running 20 miles the first time. It was pretty good.

Been trying to run almost every day, but should I have more days to rest? I feel I occasionally get slower after so many consecutive days.

When I used to run marathons I tried a tread mill once. Couldn't even run on it for one minute.

If you're pushing for progression it's always unpleasant.

Say you can easily run for 2 hours and you decide it's time to push for 3 it's going to suck and be difficult, that's the nature of progression and pushing yourself. Same shit if you go for a farther distance in 2 hours, if you go for more pushups in your maximum set or if you go for a bigger deadlift. The only difference is that that pushup set or that deadlift takes a short amount of time. That 3 hour run or faster 2 hour run still takes 2 or 3 fucking hours of suck.

I actually hated running until I started trying to increase my times. Now it's fun. I mean it sucks while it's happening I guess, but I think I just needed to get competitive about it. I used to just run for 30 min or an hour and hated it real quick because there were no goals except to just get it done.

The runner's high at the end is nice and it definitely feels good to hit a new PR but damn son I definitely wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. It feels like a small reward to make up for potentially hours of pain beforehand compared to my strength or bodyweight training.

I might be weird though in that I get the same good feels off of doing calisthenics and weights (weights especially).

>I'd like to get some kind of heart rate and distance monitor to better analyse my progress, any recommendations?

I've got a Polar M400 which was reasonably priced and does exactly what I want it to. My only complaint is that the strap wears out every few months.

Garmin is the brand people tend to go for for high-end stuff but I haven't used one myself. Depends what you want to do, some are best for cycling, some for running, some for swimming. Mine does all three but I mainly use it for running.

Make sure you get a proper heart rate monitor that straps over your chest though, some of them have an inbuilt one which measures your heart rate at your wrist but they're never very accurate.

>70miles a week

Sheeeit, I do 20-25 a week at most and I'd consider myself a decent runner. Any tips for shin splints brah? They're not excruciating but I've had a bruised sensation down the front of my shins for months now and even taking 6 weeks off didn't make it completely go away. I use the right shoes and my gait is good from what i can tell.

kek

Can someone help me please I ran for the past 8 months and was finally happy with life but my IT band started fucking killing me on my left leg everytime I run so I've stopped 3 weeks and Im about an hour away from killing myself its fucking torture I cant get the same high from lifting I've been working so hard too its just not the same please somebody help me solve this shit.

Honestly I don't even know if it's runner's high. I just like being better than I was before. Physically I do feel similar after bodyweight training, but mentally I only get the same feeling when I'm setting new PRs. It's why I also stopped doing X sets of N pushups and what not and started doing X sets until failure. Beating whatever I did last time keeps me going.

you try foam rolling?

I've been running recently because I've started my cut, but I have a slight problem.
When running I feel the inner front of my tibia, pic rel.
It's not pain, but a discomfort. It doesn't prevent me from running, but it is rather irritating.
Any idea what could this be, and what can I do to get rid of it?

Where on your IT band? What're you doing to stretch it?

ffs, didn't attach the pic, here it is

Right around the knee area of it I googled some stretches and have been doing those. Any advice?? I initially tried pushing through it but its just torturous I cant run with such pain at least not more than a mile.

shin splints

its called shin splits

watch this faggot youtube.com/watch?v=ymv6ly8hqgQ

ITBS: runnersworld.com/tag/it-band-syndrome

I was getting that when I first started running longer distances because I'm tall and overweight (6'4" 230). I started stretching my IT band a lot more and got some knee braces.

shockdoctor.com/knee-patella-support-strap

They also have these ones if it's higher up. Mine was right on the outside of my knee.

shockdoctor.com/runners-therapy-iliotibial-band-strap

Search Amazon, though. I got mine for considerably cheaper than the price on the website.

Funny I see this after I got my fat ass outside and went jogging. I like it.

if you want to run every day you need to change your pace some times. Do more lighter slow days

Feel free to call me a stupid faggot, but I'm currently 6'6". Should I even be running as a way to exercise or should I be doing something less harsh on my knees? Any time I tell people I run they wonder how my kneecaps haven't ejected from my legs yet.

treadmill was originally designed for psychological torture of monotony

The sense of accomplishment after getting to the top of a death climb is awesome, but then getting to bomb down the road is even better.

oh and I still try to run but I can only get to about 2 miles before my knees start to hurt.

Just got my first groin strain a few days ago....what do?

Bro I've been running for a long time. Here are some things that make the runners high more intense:

1) Listening to music that gets you hyped up while you run
2) Sipping on pre-workout while you run (beta-alanine causes tingling sensation all over your body, high caffeine content gives you a rush)
3) Wearing compression pants (it feels like a force is pressing against your thigh and calf muscles with every stride you take and when I feel like I'm cumming my pants when I get runners high with this extra feedback)

winter running is enjoyable on trails in the woods.

>Start running last summer
>by the end of the summer I can run 5k, but just barely finishing
>stop running until last night (almost 6 months)
>did 5k without breaking a sweat
What the fuck? I don't understand how I got better at running if I haven't been running for half a year

Did you lose weight? Or do other cardio?

massage it
or mabbe.. lemme massage it for u babby?

are there good running shoes for less than 30$? I cannot afford anything higher

I experience different highs. The standard runners' high comes on during my long easy runs, but there's also the high after totally expending myself and something quite different at the end of/after a 400m when the lactic is critically painful and my lungs are just bursting.

Anyway, finally broke 18 minutes for 5k today. Been hovering between 18 and 19 for a couple of years with no joy.
>17:42

Does anyone else get quite depressed at this sort of 'bucket list fitness'?

I don't understand how people can put in so much effort to train for something like this and as soon as it's over they just go back to being lazy fatties.

>tfw you live in Oklahoma and all cycling means is peddling across flat terrain into constant 30 mph head wins

le sigh...

extra leg gains

haha i went for a run last night. before the run my head was clouded and i couldnt relax then i got back and was happy as fuck smiling for no reason, felt like i injected crack brahs.. them endorphins brahs. not a meme

how come they say most marathoners hate listening to music as it disrupts their rhythm?

Last year I trained up so I could ride a century (100 miles). I got in great shape and did the event I had planned all this around.. this year I struggle to even find time to be on the bike... life takes over and more important things take priority... shit sucks, but I am leaving in 10 minutes to spin a quick 30miles or so.

do an out and back route, against the wind one way and easy speed back.. or ride in a giant square pattern

It's Oklahoma the wind somehow always changes direction so that it's always blowing in your face

got these for hiking sequoia this summer, but I've been breaking them in with mountain trail runs here in AZ. shit's great yo

Fucking shinbones. What the fuck is this shit, everyday i walk almost 10km yet when i try to run my shinbones hurt for 2 weeks.

sounds like stress fractures

>a big landmass of water

>form drills google and do that shit during warmups or cooldowns
>increase your cadence to above 180 (you can use a metronome app to time your steps)
>run tall
>lead from the tits
>profit

Strava is a free app for your phone. Works for cycling too

stretching and foam-rolling are masturbation and not worth much more
Exercise every muscle you can find, from your tits down...esp. pelvic girdle and hammies

fuck yeah baby

Usually has to do with tight calves.
Make sure you stretch calves before and after running.
Our coaches would freeze water in those little paper cups, and then peel away the paper and rub down our shins/calves with the frozen water after running.

Are you in Tulsa or OKC? Bc I think Tulsa has some dope biking trails

Neither am in Norman. fell for the uni meme

My fucking right knee after each run can be sore for days afterwards. Takes ages to heal. Doesn't help me keep going

Started couch to 5k, im about to start my 3rd week. What stretching(if any) should i be doing before/after running?

this

when I zip by runners at incredible high speed I laugh at them

Any tips on combining running, lifting, and playing basketball? I'm careful with doing leg-related things two days in a row due to having had shin splints, but I miss running so damn much.
In this light, would it be bad to lift in the morning and run in the evening? Or would that be too taxing on the shins?

Dynamic stretches for legs before running to avoid injury. Static stretches after to help with recovery

I would argue maybe she runs shorter distances now if it wasn't for the fact that it almost always plays out the way you said. Train up; check off; blerch out.

I loved running. Cross country was fucling great. Then i joined track and got shin splits like a mother fucker and quit senior year.
Haven't ran since then

I hate running. Doesn't help that long distance hurts my hips and I'm really slow. How can I love this torture?

Dude I love running, do 4 miles on non-lift days and 2 on lift days. Honestly I like it much more than lifting, I'd rather be DYEL than give this shit up.

Any advice anons?
I need to strengthen my abductors and posture
when I came back from my run the other day, I felt fine
Today, my upper back and hipabductors are sore and aching
any advice tips and help?
Thanks!
Looking to improve my running any way possible (I know it's not impressive but did 8k in around 50~ mins)

Never figured out what would be a good thread for this story, so this thread it is.
>See this guy running in my town as I grow up
>Distinctive guy, super-long hair for a dude that he keeps braided and a trimmed beard, since back before beards and long hair got stylish
>Regularly see him running past our house and also past the church 2 miles away when my parents drag me to Wednesday night mass
>Think he must run a lot
>Get into middle school
>Still see this guy running most nights
>He runs past the middle school sometimes when I'm leaving my basketball games
>This adds another 1.5 miles to his route
>Man he runs a lot
>Get to high school, still see running guy
>Leave school late one night, he goes cruising by, school is 3.5 miles in opposite direction from my house
>Other kids see him, refer to him as "Willie Gump" because the Willie Nelson braid and the running
>Sometimes pass him when cruising with friends, yell at him, he always waves and smiles
>Trying to convince a girl to have car sex in a park one night, see Willie Gump go by on the running trail
>He books it around the pond and crosses the footbridge to the trail along the river
>Tell girl that if we're not gonna bang we're going to see how far Willie Gump runs
>Go wait at other end of river trail (2 miles away) drive past him and turn down side roads every so often and wait for him to go by
>Dude cruises along at 10 mph for an hour before we get bored
>Damn Willie Gump, you're a machine
>Keep seeing him practically every night I'm out around town
>Sometimes he disappears for a few months and comes back super-tan with a huge beard
>Wonder what he does for a living
>I keep getting older and go to college
>Drop off a college friend in a town close to mine
>Driving back road toward home
>Pass Willie Gump, 10 miles from town, just going along at his usual pace
>Still looks about the same as he did when I was a little kid, still running like he always does

Your story is like a box of chocolates.

Low quality and pointless.

Bump!

I've lost about 6 lbs over the last month, and I've been lifting a I've done some cycling, maybe that's it. I didn't think I pushed myself that much cardio wise, I've only cycled like 2km at a time max

Running fucks up your knees, don't do it.

Source: Talked with an old man in the ER, was 90 years old. Said he ran every morning and loved it. Now his knees don't work. He switched to biking in his I guess 60s or w/e, but can't do that anymore either.

Be smart. Don't run. Bike.

sponsoredbybicycleassociationofamerica

>have super shitty feet
>can only run for a little bit before they start cramping up

running is therapeutic as fuck because you stop thinking about your problems, probably uses it to deal with being widowed or something.

Get those miles in brah. You're more likely to get into a situation where you have to run for your life rather than lift for it.

>never talked to him to find out his story
Now what am I supposed to do with this boner

Can you really run every day? Doesn't that increase your risk of injury more? Even 2 days on 1 day off seems more sensible....

I personally can't, mostly because I'm stuck with treadmills for a little while and it causes serious overtraining issues with my shins.

But yeah it's possible if you don't max out, ie if you have an endurance for 10 miles, running 5 is pretty easy.

ok. I have a "course" that I do in 2 laps that takes me 30 minutes. I walk/run 80% speed and the variation is making me enjoy running again. The monotonous pounding made me nuts.