There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy

>There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.

Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree on the fact that Mark Rippetoe is a genius?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.t-nation.com/t/mark-rippetoe-quotes/119757
youtube.com/watch?v=r2wuiTAJvGc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why should I listen to a fat sack of shit. Did he ever develop a physique worth mirin because that's my goal in the gym not how many pounds I can move in a highly arbitrary leverage dependant excercise

forums.t-nation.com/t/mark-rippetoe-quotes/119757

>not doing squats
You better be on the juice then, unless you want twig legs

this. Who tf will remember this manlet dad when hes gone?

You guys are probably going to hate me for this but I really don't the point of squatting. I've tried to do it a few dozen times and people have always told me I'm doing it wrong no matter how I changed my form, and I don't feel a burn or pump or anything.

Deadlifting is obviously very useful, but what the fuck does squatting prepare you for anyway?

I got decent size 26in legs just from doing the leg press. Anymore and I would look like a joke i can barely fit in jeans as it is. Squats are not 100% necessary

Lift heavy

what?

You people seem to have missed the point here

Starting strength will give you way more muscle mass then any other shitty brosplit routine, but of course you won't have abs by the end of the program

Now if you want to look ripped go on, but you will never look big as a beginner on a brosplit, and I am sure that a 200 lbs 15% bf 6 foot guy looks better than a 160 lbs 10% skinny dude at the same height

Ripp is love, Ripp is lyfe.

Suckit, plebs.

I like a lot of Mark's ideas, but the whole thing seems so ideological and extreme. In his mind his program is perfect and there is no danger to any of the lifts and the meaning of life is to be able to lift big things (mostly with your lower body I guess), not sure how I feel about that.

Want to try to talk me into it?

Why would SS build more muscle than a bro split?

In general strength aspects, RIP is almost always right. In powerlifting, he can be considered a decent source of information.
However, his opinions on olympic lifting should be thoroughly disregarded.
He may be able to get you to a passable power clean/snatch, but that's about it.

And SS needs rows, no matter how he may want to insist it doesn't.

>15% bf on SS
in your fucking dreams boyo

High frequency of full body training. While as a beginner, almost anything will prompt training stimulus, going hard and heavy the way SS has you do will place high demands on your body that will make it get strong very quickly.

squatting is gay

training your vertical on the other hand...

no needless back strain, aesthetic legs and a skill men will envy and women will get wet for

youtube.com/watch?v=r2wuiTAJvGc

Takes advantage of full body and compounds with high progressive overload to take advantage of noob gains.

That said, its a very lower body heavy routine so it turns you into a t rex.

Squats are dangerous and a meme

Friends, stair master (flexing quads/calfs each step) is god tier for legs

Stair master/Leg Press >Squats

Why do I need my legs to lift 500lbs ?? What situation requires legs??
>It makes you worse at sports
>makes your upper body/dick look small
>gives you a womanly figure
>makes jeans impossible to wear
>squeezes your balls together

Can anyone redpill me on lifting heavy with legs.. seriously guys

The thing is, his program works, there is no other way for a beginner to get those result that fast(both in terms of mass and strength), sure you could do a brosplit and even make nice gains, but Rip's program will always work better.

Now the problem is that adding weight everyday is HARD, and when you go past 265 lbs on the squat going to the gym becomes a dreadful experience, that's where most people fail.

It's not for everyone, works good but it's hard

Most people can reach good results without going over 15%, you won't be squatting 400 lbs like some people do on SS but that's for you to decide

I know it'll make you strong, but how does it make you BIGGER? Volume+eating=size and the volume in SS is ridiculously low. In a single hard chest-only workout I could easily get twice the volume of a week of SS. Legs are the only bodypart that get anywhere close to the volume of an average brosplit.

I squatted for 6 years, I don't anymore

I don't feel like more of a pussy, odd

The best way to get big legs for a beginner is to get strong legs, doesn't mean that you should squat 600 lbs, but 400 is good.

What do you mean about going past 265 lbs?

american football players squat all the time

if your dick looks small because you squat, it was never big to begin with

>he's never heard of glutes for the sloots

i'll give you this one.

no?

that's where for the average male adding weight everyday to the squat becomes really heavy and you need to start grinding, then your workouts will start to get mentally challenging

And how much of that volume is junk volume?
Now I won't argue that the typical bro split throws a whole lot more volume at upper body than ss, and ss could typically benefit from applying 5x5 to OHP and bench.
But that high volume bro split gets you adapted to too much volume to early. The goal is generally to do more than the minimum necessary volume to elicit muscular growth, while staying below the maximum recoverable volume.
Bro splitting hits a wall way too fast because you hit a volume wall very quickly. The benefit of low volume/high intensity for a beginner is when that stops being the minimum effective volume, you can deload and expand the volume to come closer to what the bro split was starting with, and elicit more strength and muscle development for longer

>never lift 500 lbs

Much like deadlifting, the practical argument is about how leverages work when lifting real life objects.

For example, you will probably never lift a 500 lb box, but you might lift a lower weight box that ends up torquing your back to the same weight for part of the lift.

What this guy said

My vertical went up like 5 inches just from squats… I can now jump and dunk a basketball with two hands… no run up

yeah nah

I play soccer, sticcbugs opposition is afraid to contest me for open balls, I kick the ball fucking hard and have explosive speed. also I look like a fucking god in soccer shorts.
no, and it is not the dick that is small, it is only yourself
works for your dyke mother
they make different fits other than slim faggot
you got me

SS trains your body to adapt to high stress, your tendons thicken, if you're young your bones strengthen. You can add volume later.

Those were pretty amusing, thank.

>ideological and extreme

His programming advice has changed significantly since the first edition of SS, and had already changed significantly before that.

He is very quick to admit when he's been wrong about something and revise it, and has encouraged others to spot flaws in his model and improve on them.

The reason he gets pissed off with people attacking him is that they've almost never actually read what he's written about the squat (or indeed anything else.) The SS model of the lifts has never actually been refuted. No other organisation (let alone individual strength coach) even HAS a model of the lifts in the way Aasgard does. They just go 'Well that's not the way I've ever done it.' A lot of the time, they accuse Rip of saying the opposite of what he actually says, then proceed to agree with him. It's quite clearly either a lame clickbait tactic or a panic over trainees asking them questions they can't answer as a result of reading parts of SS.

>DUDE SQUATS LMAO

squats are a staple of any good routine, not everyone wants to have unbalanced legs though.

>there is only two programs in the world: SS and brosplit
>t. DYEL
ok, lad

You may not need to squat 500lbs of anything IRL but being able to do so sure as hell will make it easier ( and safer ) to lift most anything off the ground. Think yard work, renovations, general chores, helping your granny move that hilariously oversized mahogany cupboard that she just won't give up.

Tell us all which muscles rows work that the other lifts in SS don't.

Also, Rip has been teaching the olympic lifts for decades, was a USAW accredited coach until he resigned the certification, and has actually coached weightlifters who rose to international level, and sent many more to olympic trials.

Beyond that, the US's strongest female weightlifter in the 63s is and has been coached by an SS coach for the past several years.

Rip and SS have probably done more over the years to keep olympic lifting ALIVE as a sport in the US than anyone outside of Crossfit. And certainly more than USAWeightlifting, which seems to be fucking hellbent on killing the sport.

These people have never played sports in their lives. They were the ones who were picked last in PE. It is truly pathetic, but its neither your fault nor your concern. Happy squatting user

>makes you worse at sports
Totally wrong. Squats train your ability to produce force through the hips, which are the centre of power production in your body. Almost EVERY sport - and certainly all contact sports - are heavily dependent on the ability to display power.

I stopped doing squats once I realized that my thighs were the fattest, most unattractive part of my body.

Seriously I want to get lean but my legs are too T H I C C and not in a good way.

I just want a good upper body. Diddlies and cycling + walking takes care of my leg tone enough. Used to squat and be fat so the mass I want is already there, just looking to get them more defined. Fuck building mass. Also my mobility is shit for squatting nowadays so I rather not injure myself. I focus on mobility exercises but don't try to squat because it's just leading me to snap city very quick.

Rows (of the Pendlay variety) are perfectly acceptable on SS if you're too much of a pussy to do power cleans right.

Read the program. Maybe you'll learn something.

>thinks he can squat
>can wear jeans
Never going to make it

ARE YOU REALLY TRYING TO CONVINCE ME THAT YOU HAVE EVEN LEFT YOUR HOUSE IN THE PAST WEEK LET ALONE LONG ENOUGH TO GO OUT BUY YOUR OWN PAIR OF JEANS IN A SIZE AND FIT THAT FEELS COMFY AND STYLISH didnt think so, I can just tell by your post you can't even reach the high chair baby boy

>I just want a good upper body
stopped reading right there

>is fat
>stops squatting
Maybe try stop eating???

>Starting strength will give you way more muscle mass then any other shitty brosplit routine

lol

lol

You're average bro splitter looks 10x better than that fat fuck Zach.

He looks like utter shit and I know non lifters who look better than him.

Ok, so you think looking good = low bf
What's your problem with ss then?

>lifting for the approval of others
>making it
pick one

I will give you a huge lower body, laggin delts, lagging lats, lagging arms

A lot of people who juice end up with twig legs. They're like the opposite of traps l/shoulders.

Ypu can work thise areas into your routine if you don't mind progress laggin on your lift numbers.

Most of the people that criticize SS think they are very familiar with the program, and what they think ss is is nowhere near what the book and Rip says.
You are a perfect example of that, didn't even bother reading the book and thinks he can go around saying random bullshit about the program

I'm doing the stripped 5x5 from the sticky. How does it match up to SS?

That depends on the sport and what you mean by squatting. I assume we're talking about low bar back squat here since this thread is a pic of rip. Some of the best athletes in the world rarely if ever perform a barbell back squat.

>I don't know what an accessory is

Not optimal, but it works

Cringe thread?

>those shorts
Holy shit that's the gayest thing I've ever seen

Mark Rippetoe, turning males into females for over 30 years. The secret is to start the hormone therapy also so you achieve better results. At the end of Starting Strength you plant some tits on your chest and you're good to go.

typical bodybuilder

>not understanding that humans are social creatures and that the halo effect is real

Mothers will subconsciously give more attention and food to babies with more symmetrical faces and neglect the uglier ones

Lie to yourself all you want but lifting is about showing off your good genome to the rest of the world. Evolution is the driving force in all of this

This guy gets it

>Squats are dangerous
stopped reading there

how much of a faggot are you

Damn, you're saying that a beginner's STRENGTH routine won't make you Mr Olympia? Damn.

If the person on a brosplit is progressing in their lifts either via weight or reps, exactly why wouldn't they get big?

He will get bigger, but on SS he would achieve far better results

>Squatting below parallel qualifies a squat as deep while squatting above it qualifies as shallow.[3] Some authorities caution against deep squats;[9] though the forces on the ACL and PCL decrease at high flexion, compressive forces on the menisci and articular cartilages in the knee peak at these same high angles.[10] This makes the relative safety of deep versus shallow squats difficult to determine

Are you a parrot?

>Did he ever develop a physique worth mirin
ahem...

I must inform you that the file you just posted is misnamed. What you have saved on your computer as Roger Estep deadlift should in fact be renamed to Mark Rippetoe deadlift, no need to thank me

people shouldn't and don't have to squat any specific way. it's dangerous, bad and flat out wrong "advice". hip anatomy, skill and comfort level are the determining factors. not tough guy wannabe drivel.

idk why people post this guy he just has shit aesthetics regardless of bf%

Read SS

Not to mention people act like SS is for someone who has been lifting for years, when it's designed as baby's first fitness program. Start with SS so you have a decent amount of strength and muscle, then go onto another program that is more comprehensive with upper body for aesthetics.

does rip say not everyone should squat below parallel? don't have time to find it.

>"I don't feel the burn when squatting."

How to show everybody you are dyel.

What is ideological about it? You do the three main compound lifts, and you increase the weight on the bar by 5lbs 3 times a week....I dont understand how this is extreme?

you know that's a meme, right?

>MUH WIKI

start squatting and don't be a bitch

Don't act tough shithead

Yeah squatting is pushed here since it's on SS and having joocy legs is pretty aesthetic but I think Rip is a bit autistic about the squat thing. You can get decent leg gains from a variety of exercises that aren't squats.

Keep in mind Rip is also 5'8" and that throwing another 6 inches onto your frame changes things. Rip himself has gone on record saying that lifting is not a tall man's sport. For the lanky skeletors out there it's actually very reasonable to go lighter on squats. That being said I don't think you should ever really skip out on them, it's a fundamental movement and nobody is going to snap their shit up squatting less than 200.

Yes, OP, he is a genius. SS is the best beginner program available for gaining strength. Don't bother with stupid dyels in the board, the less people doing SS the bigger you will look by comparison.

Chicken legged curlbro detected