ITT THE DUMBEST THING YOU HEARD IN HISTORY CLASS

Be me in History 241 History of American War

>going to top 25 college in America
>college in south
>talking civil war
>pretentious camo hat wearing student
>"weren't the southerners better soldiers?"
>prof wat u mean
>"well southerners all lived in the country and had to hunt for their dinner so naturally they were good shots while all the yanks lived in cities"
>prof: "no"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzungar_genocide
youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rebs will jump through extraordinary hoops to defend their shitty cause.

>"But aren't there 52 states?"
This was a highschool student.

The Anerican colonists started slavery

>be in highschool
>learning about the holocaust
>"Germans were evil. My people would never do something like that" says the chinese girl

>talking about ww1
>was that the one of the jews?
>talking about ottomans
>same student: oh the turks have a country now?
This was a senior

To be fair, the Chinese never killed any Jews.

ITT: Creaturan education

>Western Civilization began with the Anglo-Saxons

Not in history class but one of my friends thinks Rome was part of the Middle Ages, and I don’t mean Byzantium I mean the full Roman Empire before before the split

does it not make sense that more southerners would have experience with a rifle

The adopted belief that everyone lived in cities in the 19th century because so many today do is really not surprising, unless they are taught better, people will make assumptions.

Glad it took till A COLLEGE COURSE for that student to get corrected.

No, fuck you Puerto Rico.

what?

WHAT?

>Back in '06 we used to call MSN chat "the Messenger"
>Be in class
>Teacher is talking about French Revolution
>Reaches the Storming of the Bastille
>Teacher mentions something about rebels sending messengers throughout the countryside
>Student beside me asks "why didn't they just send it by fax."
>Teacher looks at hear
>"Because they didn't have internet back in the day, or electricity."
>Student replies "Then how did they send the Messenger"

No u dumb johhny reb yanks didn't all live in cities

High school. Learning about hitler and world war 2. Teacher asks everyone to stand up and then looks us over and asks us to sit one by one leaving just one blonde blue eyed girl. " hitler would have had you all killed except this girl". Turns out she is was raised a jew. Meanwhile me, green eyed hearty german/irish stock is one of the 6 billions.

>teachers OF ALL PEOPLE believing the "killed everyone who wasn't bhbl" meme
someone kill me

it did though

A girl in one of my history classes was asked to find The United States on a map and pointed to Germany. Same girl thought the US was the one that colonized England.

Today she's a street walker.

A lot more of them did though.

>Things that didn't happen

Why do you think that user? I had a similar experience in 8th grade history
American teachers really like to lay on the drama for certain things

Why would I lie fucko? Australian school circa 01-02 ... mr hemera. Look it up kid.

Am I live

I knew a girl who thought Alaska was an island next to Hawaii, because that's where it was shown on maps of the contiguous United States.

Fair enough

Kinda funny if

U were in fourth grade

S-sam?

No. Sam in class but. nsw?

I just see the same story over and over again with that one blond and blue eyed girl, so I assume that's exaggeration or urban legend.

To be fair it sounds absolutely plausible for American standards (just look at "You are teleported before the gates of Auschwitz during war, what happens with you" threads and how many people go with "I am blond I would be fine")
It's even not surprising if you were to believe some infographs on Veeky Forums with Germans being surprised that Poles have light eyes and hair (and they are fucking neighbours).

every 2nd post here is by some dumb american or other 1st worlder, you dont anything about history outside your own country and even your own history is propaganda level "education"

you are modern age barbarians

Barbarians don't even have history class.

>countries that fielded huge professional land armies during the 19th century
France, Germany
>countries that had a large population of city dwellers
Also France and Germany

How does that change anything?

Did the union have a smaller proportion of soldiers with a lifetime experience with guns and horses ? Yes.

Having a lot of country peeps doesn't necessarily translate to having a good professional army.

Knowing how to hunt isn't really that much of an advantage in the age of machine guns and artillery.

The us civil war wasnt the first world war.

the same aussie guy posts it in every thread, which is fair because it's a mental story

>Columbus wanted to prove the world was round right?

No, but it was the first major industrialized war. You do knwo they had machine guns and artillery, right?
For another example, look at the Franco-Prussian war. The French had way better infantry rifles, yet the more advanced artillery the Prussians had still gave them a major advantage. Small arms fire just isn't that important in a conflict of that scale

Sure but when the other side is just as unprofessional, it can make a difference.

>green eyes
>irish ancestry
>white
Into the oven with you

a professor last semester
>African societies were incredibly vibrant and had strong tendencies of gender equality before colonization by the European powers

The question was about skill of soldiers, not who had the stronger military.

It's pretty standard shit desu.
I was also told the whole "jewskin lampshade" thing

And as I said, being a good huntsman doesn't mean you're also a good soldier in a modern army

correct. The FPW was an exercise in "which is better: a smaller but highly-trained standing army, or a massed army of conscripts with slightly inferior training and far less experience?" turns out relying solely on a standing army in a massive modern war is a bad fucking idea

Why not? It happened to me in grade school and many other adults I have spoken to as well.

>all people from country X are unable to learn from reading shit outside of school
American education may fucking suck but you'd be surprised how many people just learn the shit they know in their own spare time. 95% of the shit i know today is shit i learned on my own time and not stuff i learned from school.
granted i'm also a fucking retard but i'm sure at least a few anons here can agree

It makes you a better shot though, means you're more experienced with guns.
Just trying to say that the guy in the op isn't completely retarded.

>war is good for the economy

I know they had machine guns, but not sophisticated enough to make the individual soldiery irrelevant. Same for artillery.

Most normies seem to think "the middle ages" covered the entirely of human existence from the Paleolithic up to the Second World War for some reason.

This

Does the term slave suit you better cuck?

>OF ALL PEOPLE

What makes you think teachers are immune to bad history?

And shooting at the enemy is less than 1% of a soldiers life, so it makes absolutely no difference.

I fucking despise this attitude, so fucking contrarian.
The literal reason he's even coming along is so that he can stand in a line and shoot, he needs to reload, he needs to understand his weapon while carrying out his drills.
>hurr artillery does more
whoa i guess infantry and their weapons don't fucking matter then, i wonder why we aren't still using fucking bolt actions if they make no difference faggot.
I guess this is mainly addressed to that ak thread a while back.

fun fact: US soldiers in Vietnam spent something like 400% more time in combat on a yearly basis than the average US soldier in WWII

In high school some girl thought China was a state in USA, another girl that year asked if France and Italy were the same thing.

Arguably.

Better guerilla fighters, sure. But they tried to fight as actual soldiers, so they got fucked over.

Not to mention the supply issues.

Will these normies be able to survive when the eventual collapse of society occurs?

I am so with you user and ironically enough this is the sort of reasoning that led to the union fucking up completely for so long.

They had better generals to be fair.
Basically everyone lived in the country before WWII, though.

>The literal reason he's even coming along is so that he can stand in a line and shoot, he needs to reload, he needs to understand his weapon while carrying out his drills.
Exactly, not at all the same skills a hunter would need, aside from knowing how to aim and reload

>mr hemera
Oh fuck, Wollongong?

Care to disprove this?

If nothing else, their thick-headed ignorance will be a boon for staving off the guilt and existential despair that comes with the violent struggle for base survival.

>history of psychology class
>professor asks the class to name a historian, there's no wrong answer
>kanye west and michael jordan were accepted as answers
>professor said that the definition of historian depends on what it means to you personally

I had a coworker with a college degree that didn't know what nazism is.

>pre-colonization African societies were gender equal
literally all political and spiritual leaders were men. women were used for sex, child rearing/household shit, and occasionally food stuff. and in the good old days of the dominance of Islam clitcutting was far more widespread than it is today

I had to correct my history teacher who seemed to think Wilhelm I was Willy's dad

Where do you live?

This was in a history of ideas course. The lecturer wanted to demonstrate that all the evils of today stem from Western thought, dualism and instrumental reason. He said that it doesn't even matter if what he says is anachronistic because he is an activist academic.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzungar_genocide

This, we even watched an animated movie about that

Maybe not the dumbest bu the one I remember clearly

>history teacher talks about the Battle of Nicopolis
>the Western knights were well equipped with plate armor and were basically like tanks in the battle field but all you needed was to knock them down and they were rendered immobile and powerless because of the weight of the armor, like cockroaches that are flipped upside-down and can't move, and thus were easy to kill

youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

I'm also guessing that he was thinking that they used full plate armor like in the late 15th century.

>prof: francisco franco led the spanish fascists
>random guy: wasn't it pablo picasso?

>NSW
Not him but what school did you go to mate?

>Teacher recites commie propaganda 20 years after the revolution, without realizing it's from commies

Union population in 1860 was 18.5 million. Traitor pop in 1860 was 5.5 million. Erase every city-dweller in the North and you still have twice the population.

A girl in my class, after being asked where's India located said that it's "somewhere near Asia" and then pointed at Madagascar.

>posting facts is being contrarian

>It's not an advantage because it doesn't encompass every skill that you might need as a soldier.

man no one in my history classes ever asked stupid shit
or much of anything for that matter

>communism was good on paper

>high school AP history teacher tells us the Zimmerman Telegram was a forgery in order to drag the US into war
>mfw Zimmerman admitted to its authenticity at the Reichstag

>The Treaty of Versailles was too harsh on Germany

It's just such an insignificant advantage it makes no difference.

>Why were Germans fighting Brits in North Africa

One of the girls in my class once asked what was the capital of Africa. An 18 year old girl. Not even kidding.

Reading all these posts I started to wonder if American education really is in this absolute JUST state.

Any of the mutts care to give me a quick rundown on it?

>France and Germany had a large population of city dwellers
brainlet le post

Not a genocide, though.

And god. How many millenia ago was that?

>not even kidding
Do you think that's impressive or something? Africa being a country is the most common geopolitical misconception in the United States. That or Europe being one country in the same continent as France and Germany.

>go to history class
>main lessons about slavery, the holocaust, indians, McCarthyism, and MLK
This was in an AP class too. Was a teacher's assistant as a senior, they just skip all the way to the 1890's for a starting lesson before jumping into the holocaust, indians, etc.