Hey Veeky Forums. I'm gonna be finished with college in July, and I'm about 85% sure I'm gonna join the Air Force

Hey Veeky Forums. I'm gonna be finished with college in July, and I'm about 85% sure I'm gonna join the Air Force.

I don't have a girl, I don't have any big boy job offers, and the times coming where I need to support myself and make my way in the world. I really don't have anything holding me back and I think I'll save my paychecks and use their gyms to get as big as I can.

My question is this: How should I train for this? I'm gonna quit my wageslave job and use the two months to prepare my body. I'm not worried about the strength, I have a 3plate squat and deadlift which should be enough but my cardio shape is pretty bad.

Anyone know what I can expect? Insights?

Feel free to make this an international military/nationalism thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zy41a_RtzNo
ww3.safaq.hq.af.mil/Contracting/
militarybenefits.info/2017-military-pay-charts/
defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm
military.com/military-fitness/workouts/working-on-running-weaknesses
military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/improving-your-pft-run-time
usaaef.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Btw 5'11" 175` lbs so not obese, It's just I struggle with cardio workouts

>my cardio shape is pretty bad

Can you run a mile and a half under 12:30?
Can you do 50 pushups in a row?
Can you do 50-60 situps in a row?
Can you do 3-6 chinups in a row?

Run time is really all that matters

I max out the pt test every time because the form for the pushups and sit ups is super lax outside of training. 9:12 for 1.5 miles is pretty easy if you have any running background

Good on you for wanting to serve your country op! Wish you the best of luck

USAF Butterbar here,

If you're worried about the fitness portion, focus on body weight stuff and running. You can look up the PT test standards to see if you can hit them. As long as you are within height and weight, and can pass the PT test, Uncle Sugar doesn't give a fuck about your squat or deadlift.

Shit man wasn't trying to brag I honestly thought there was some baseline strength requirement.

Looks like the bulk of preparation will need to be running then.

Right now, at least comfortably, I do a mile in 10 minutes. I wanna be able to blow through any tests comfortably without practically dying

Thanks dude

Chinups arent even a requirement for the PT standard anymore.

Fucking A, really?

Let me guess, standards are being dropped to incentivize recruitment of females and an ever-dwindling pool of physically able males?

Don't be a crew chief (aircraft mechanic). You'll thank me later.

I dunno the reasoning. I mean, considering most of the jobs actual physical requirements, I feel like the PT standard is more just to baseline health care costs and appearances.

Women get their own separate standards. Longer run times and a fraction the amount of pushups/situps. Physical standards for the Air Force were never high.

But you should expect things like 30 minutes of continuous running, lots of bodyweight exercises, and such and so forth. Even my fat ass was able to keep up with the cardio, but getting prepped before you go will save you a lot of anxiety and physical duress.

Amen

Or Security Forces

Was considering security actually. Whats bad about those two?

Good ones to get into? Ill have a business degree though its not STEM so thats probably worth fuckall.

Enlisting or officer?

As for the running, here's the program Alan Thrall used to get to an 18:01 3 mile and ace Marine Boot Camp:
>Run 3x a week
>Workout 1:
-Sprint 400m, walk 400m
-Sprint 300m, walk 300m
-Sprint 200m, walk 200m
-Sprint 100m, walk 400m
-Sprint 100m, walk 100m
-Sprint 200m, walk 200m
-Sprint 300m, walk 300m
-Sprint 400m
Done. Record every workout and try to beat your time everytime.
>Workout 2
-Alternate running HARD 100m and jogging 100m for 1 mile. Once you can do it in less than 9 minutes, increase to 1.5 miles. Once you can do that in less than 13:30 increase it to 2 miles, then 2.5, then 3. Once you're at 3 miles try and beat your time every workout.
>Workout 3
Set your stopwatch for 15 minutes. Sprint 100m and then walk back. Do as many reps as you can in 15 minutes, try and do more every workout.

As for calisthenics, you don't really need to drop lifting, just add a few sets of pushups and pullups after every workout. Maybe do something like WS4SB (a three day variant) and add 3 sets of as many pushups and pullups as you can do after every workout.

Do that for a while and you should have no problem with PT tests or selection events.

Well I'll have the degree so ideally officer but I dont know how this works, im ignorant on all of it.

Also, screen capped that program thank you

Here's the video: youtube.com/watch?v=zy41a_RtzNo

AF officers have it more competitive from what I hear. GPA might be a factor as well as whatever your degree is. Could be wrong on that though.

Look at ASVAB score.
Make a list of jobs that offer a clearance and which your ASVAB score qualifies for.

If you qualify for something like "cryptologic linguist", take it. You get to stay at Monterrey fucking Bay and learn a language. The only drawback is DLI can be tough. You have to have discipline to simply study.

But you learn a new language and get a TS/SCI clearance. Coast through for 4-5 years, get out and get a contracting gig for money.

Didn't notice the whole degree part.

If you're planning to be an officer, don't expect your job to reflect your degree. Navy example: Chick with English Bachelor's becomes head of electricity on a frigate.

Medical specialties are an exception.

Thats really great advice user. I fully intend to spend my time in the service conservatively and bankroll my paychecks as well.

Another thing Ill do to prepare is use the time off of work to study hard for that ASVAB.

Honestly happy to hear that. Part of the reason Im interested in doing this is because its hard to stand out with a business degree. Using the AF to get that sweet technical experience is a primary motivator.

I'm leaving Monterey next weekend. I was a linguist, unless youre really into languages (or at least have a natural talent for them) don't go for this. It's a soul draining course unless you're on board 100%.

What'd you get?

Don't they have you learning 3-4 languages as a linguist, though? Or do you specialize in just one and have to take periodic tests to reflect proficiency?

Was korean, made it about 6 months before I dropped out. Course was just too fast for me. I didn't bomb like some people did but a B- is a failing grade here so I just couldn't keep up. 7-8 hours of class a day + 3-4 hours of HW was killer so I'm not really sad to see it go.

Got reclassed to 3D1, Computer transport systems, so IT with a TS clearance. Wasn't on my list but I'm fine with it. Being in Keesler during the dead of summer is the worst part.

You get 1 language. If you're already fluent in a language you MIGHT get that one, but it's not a guaranteed thing. I knew a few native spanish speakers who got korean or levantine. Courses range frm 9 months to 18 depending on the difficulty of the language, and at the end you take the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and you get bonus pay based on your results. You have to get at least a 2+/2+/2 for reading/listening/speaking to pass (went up recently). A 2 to 2+ is the average native speaker, with 3 being college level.

There's a small but committed scene of mil nerds who like to roleplay being military when on leave from really being military. So you can practice air traffic/flight sim shit easy enough if you get in on one of those. Many have a forum/subreddit.

Beyond that the US miltary likes pull ups, push ups and running don't they? Might be worth getting in some ruck practice.

The trick with soft tissue btw is consistent practice throughout the day. Deadhang with weight for a bit when you can, go running, push against a wall or doorframe etc. That will help you to not get injured. Same with ruck practice, a few 10 minute runs with lighter weight throughout the day will do you better than a heavy hour in one go.

If you want steadier work hours and to make bank when you get out, get into contracting. The skill you get in the AF is in high demand on the civilian side.
On the fitness side of things, just take a practice PFA every other month to see where you are at. You can find the score sheets with a quick google search. There are plenty of resources on running from military veterans on Military.com.
Good luck man!

They have four tiers of languages and you take a test that pretty much has you trying to find patterns and syntax in fictional languages. Based on how you do, you could learn spanish (tier 1) or chinese (tier 4).

Also, I noticed that people are talking about career fields and degrees. On that note, I know a guy who is in contracting with a degree in some kind of sports training. You get a job where you are semi qualified and where the AF needs you. Don't worry about not using your degree. Of course having a degree or career field in a common civilian field is good for when you get out.

In your last year, complain about various issues to the docs. You want to have a paper trail because when you get out, you can file for VA disability percentages!

I know it sounds like scamming the system but the fucked up part is that you're helping guys with actual disabilities get approved by the VA because if they have the disability you claim, there's a prior history of veterans suffering from the disability...

basically the VA system is a fucked up cycle. If two fitness instructors, with no visible or apparent disability, can get 100%...you can too.

When you say contracting, what does that refer to?

Would that be something like air craft repair?

Whatever. If you have a TS/SCI, you might get some bullshit job moving sensitive documents around.

The clearance is more important than most on-the-job skills. Even janitors need clearance.

Contractors are a small business that come into usually bigger businesses/organisations to do some work for them

Ahhh understood so its not so much that I choose, its that I take my asvab, get matched up to something I can handle, and then uncle sam gives me a handful of options?

God I was being fucking stupid, I thought you mean contracting as in there was a profession called "contracting"

Contracting is under acquisitions. Basically, they line up deals with companies to buy stuff for the Air Force.
ww3.safaq.hq.af.mil/Contracting/

Thank you that's helpful. Semi related to a business degree, seems like something I wouldn't hate doing, good opportunity once my service is over, this seems like the ideal area for me.

Work on your bodyweight exercises like your pushups and situps, and work on your run. If you can get your run squared away, then you'll be fine.

Get a high ASVAB score so you'll have options available. There's scores that you'll need to hit to get certain jobs, but my advice would be to get the best score you can so you have options.

Job wise, if you're interested in computers then comm would be a pretty good choice. I'm in comm and have a TS clearance and also have my Security+, which is really huge for the civilian IT field. You're getting the clearance and certs for free, and the AF provides resources for other certifications as well. You could do 4 years and then get out with a good job lined up.

Also, don't let your recruiter screw you over. I don't know how other recruiters are, but I've heard that the recruiter in my area pulls some shit to get their numbers up. The recruiter in my area pushed a lot of people in with an open contract to get into basic quicker. Then those people get screwed into a career field like Security Forces or Services or something that they totally didn't want. If you choose something like programming or something like that, expect to wait a while because your ship out date has to line up with the slots that they have available in your tech school.

"Uncle Sam" aka the recruiters will present you a list of jobs available ATM. They try to throw you in whatever garners bonuses for them.

Instead, look at your ASVAB score. Look at the list of jobs, on your own. Make a list of jobs with the highest clearance you qualify for. If they say "that's not open", tell them you're not signing shit until the job you want is open.

Recruiters are living embodiment of scumbaggery. Every small promise, get in writing.

You literally have until the bus ride to boot camp to opt out completely.

A common saying is "They need YOU, not the other way around".

Also, how much you will get paid based on rank and length of service:
militarybenefits.info/2017-military-pay-charts/
How much you could expect to pay for housing:
defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm
And that running stuff you were wondering about at the start:
military.com/military-fitness/workouts/working-on-running-weaknesses
military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/improving-your-pft-run-time
Like I said earlier, Military.com has some really good advice to prep for a fitness test. Stew Smith was a SEAL, so I would trust what he says.
Also, if you have a chance to get your commission, DO IT. Even if it means going back to school. New Lts get better pay than people who have been in for a long time.

>New Lts get better pay than people who have been in for a long time.

This.

Officer >>>>>>>>> enlisted. Not sure how their job system works though. Is it the same thing?

>Stew Smith
Stew Smith's programs are GOAT even tho his explanations are clear as mud sometimes.

>joining up AFTER paying for college
nigga you what?

Now he can get a Masters or Phd. Not only will he have the GI Bill but if he's smart about leaving a paper trail of physical and mental issues in his last year...well 30% disability gets you access to VOCREHAB which is another 3-4 years of paid schooling.

I didn't react as strongly, but I was thinking something along the same lines. Air Force ROTC is great way to get a degree, maybe get a good scholarship, and get a commission. I am about to graduate with no debt, butter bars, a wife, and a job all lined up.
This. Get your masters ASAP. Free education with the military is awesome. Dealing with immature college kids is annoying tho.

>Dealing with immature college kids is annoying tho.

dat college gash though.

Spent some time thinking the military wasn't for me. Wasted my first two years of college on a girl, was young and naive, didn't consider ROTC. However hindsight is 20/20 and I was fortunate enough to have parents that did the prepaid program, so even though we aren't rich, they did payments and my bachelors was paid for.

Now at least I can continue with my masters degree so it's not all doom and gloom. I'm debt free, and I was interested in my MBA, the only difference is I won't have to fork over 30k for it if it works out.

Also, NEVER GET MARRIED. It works for a few but most military wives are the biggest sluts in the world as soon as their husband is out somewhere.

If you want to use the system though, marry a lesbian and have an agreement about things. It could land you in trouble if either of you slip up in presenting the masquerade.

I'm starting to think I want to avoid getting married period, not just for the service.

Seriously though, having little expenses and having paychecks stack up in my bank account sounds fucking incredible.

I have a buddy who enlisted in the AF, moved his wifey out to Japan with him, and sure she isn't a slut or anything but they're broke as fuck still because she didn't work and they went out a lot.

Use this. It will help you save your money.
usaaef.org/

OP and everyone interedted in preparing for military, google Stew Smith. He has lots of articles and free programs for PFT prep. Ex SEAL and a big honcho in military fitness

Dude's an absolute fucking beast but some of his programs are a bit much if you don't have 2-3 hours a day to workout. If you're genuinely trying to get into a high speed unit like the SEALs then Smith is far and away your best bet, but if not, you don't really need to spend 2 hours a day 6 days a week doing PT pyramids, run-swim-runs, and 500 rep ab workouts.

Japan? Ah. if she cheats with a local, it's going to be with a man more alpha than the husband. But she might also cheat with the other service/beta members.

>having little expenses and having paychecks stack up in my bank account sounds fucking incredible.

Don't be me and waste it all on whores and dumb pleasures. But you get access to USAA which is a decent bank/lender.

Just to warn everybody, SEALs (or other entry-level spec ops) can be a trap if you don't make it through training. Once you drop out, you're at the mercy of wicked detailers who see a chump to fuck over. And most "pups" drop out leaving something like 2% remaining to the end of the initial SEALs boot camp.

A bit exaggerated but not really.

>90 asvab and marine

I should have joined airforce

The advantage of getting married is that you're able to collect BAH and other shit right off the bat.

BAH = Base Allowance for Housing

EX: Single sailors don't qualify for off-basing housing until they're E-5. If you're married, you get the BAH and housing right off the bat.

Anybody know how hard it is to become a JAG after joining the air force? I was looking into becoming a lawyer but I don't want to pay for law school

Check the BAH calculator in . Mark having dependents and without.

I dont know how to put this, but obviously there is some sort of on base housing, so would that be similar to say, a dorm room?

Would it be possible for one person to simply stay in the on base housing? I assume that if they did that, then it would be paid for and you wouldn't have to worry about paying for housing at all, correct?

Or is it the type of thing where Uncle sam deducts food and housing expenses out of your paycheck?

>...a dorm room?

Somewhat. But they'll probably be called barracks. And most likely you'll share the living space with "roomates". If it sucks, you'll share a single room with both beds and a single bathroom.

>Would it be possible for one person to simply stay in the on base housing?

Yes. But it's more profitable to rent a cheap place and collect the remainder of BAH, which is calculated only on the basis of local zipcode.

>Uncle sam deducts food and housing expenses out of your paycheck?

Housing? Not really. Food? Depends.

After being assigned to a submarine, the fucking galley took my allowance for food. So I had to pay to eat at the base galley. Submarine food sucks ass and is the opposite of fit tier.

Never do submarines jesus fucking christ.

The air force is running out of jobs, join a different branch.

That makes sense, I hadn't considered finding a crappy apartment and then bankrolling the rest of it. I'd imagine theres no internet or anything like that in the barracks either.

Anyway I'll quit bugging you, I appreciate all the help user.

They are increasing the number of 2 Lts. Air Force is good if you want better stuff/quality of life.

Nah, there's probably internet in the barracks. It's modern times after all. You'll probably be forced into ordering it and being stuck with the provider that has the monopoly on base internet.

I can't imagine why you couldn't just use your phone's internet.

In HI, AT&T made me pay 115 a month to use a shitty iphone with a fucking limit of 4 gigs a month.

4 gigs a month.

Now back in the continental US, I pay 70-80 for unlimited internet data (TMobile) with a far better phone (one of the Motorola Gs).

Don't depend on your phone.

I signed for ammo and ship in june, anyone know what the job is like? I did really well on the asvab and am thinking about changing jobs.

Xbox brah! Can't do that off phone. Don't need a flawless connection but consoles are required to be online these days

see
and
If you decide to change jobs, tell the recruiter when you're done making a decision.

You'll have to sign more paperwork but at least it'll be for a job that might give something back.

CONT

Also if you want bonus credit, ask the recruiters what duty is.

I didn't get to find out until about 24 hours into boot camp.

Duty is like if you did your normal job but you still had to come back into the office during night or during a weekend day. It's gay as shit.

Duty and those fucking boots are good reasons to never re-enlist. I couldn't imagine 20 years wearing those shitty deforming uncomfortable boots.

OP.

What job are you going for?

You don't need to train anything special to pass the general Air Force PT test.

If you're going for an AFSOC job, then that is when you will need a more specialized program that combines strength, endurance, and swimming ability.

Military Athlete offers various programs for any military need (They have programs with objectives ranging from passing the AF PT test to performing well at the SFOD-D selection)

Tactical Barbell Operator and Fighter complexes are solid for building strength while also doing tons of condition on the side.

4 Horsemen is also a very interesting program I plan on utilizing after I am done with one more TB Operator complex.

t. former infantry marine preparing for the Army Ranger selection.

No the Air Force just doesn't do pull ups because there are only like 2 or 3 jobs in the entire branch that require you to be physically fit. Most of the Air Force is women and fat nerds. I don't even know why you're so worried about meeting the physical requirements, the Air Force is softer than baby shit and if you don't have what it takes to join the military's most laughable branch, you should find a way to end your life in an expeditious manner

Bruh please explain to me why you, a former marine grunt, would wanna be a ranger instead of going recon. Do you just want the JSOC prestige? Genuinely curious because I have a lot of buddies who went SOF but none went rangers. I'm an 0317 myself.

>tfw i'am a fat ass and can do all of them
air force is a meme

I just separated a year ago after 10 years in. You're making a huge mistake. The USAF is nothing but adult daycare. Even acft mx dudes are turning into beta pussies and everyone's hopping on the if-you're-a-man-you'll-rape-a-woman bandwagon. Also, you're told to accept tranny troops or get NJP.

Good luck with that shit.

be a pilot or gtfo

Also in for this. Rangers hate their lives and the only ones who stay in longer than 4 years are cock goblins with personality issues.

All my RECON bros loved their lives. Except when working with Mexicans lel

Not OP, but damn good advice. I ought to do it too.

>going to college
>so you can join the military
congrats you failed.

If you're getting a worthless degree then AF is pretty nice. If you're getting a good degree but you actually suck, then AF is nice, If you're getting a good degree and you're actually good at what you studied then steer clear.

The system is set up so that a single person's failures doesn't cause the whole organization to fail. This is good for the organization, but if you're not retarded then it'll just hold you back and you'll feel like you're wasting your time. If however you're not that bright, but not retarded enough to get kicked out, then you'll succeed. Ultimately you just gotta figure out whether you're happy with just bringing home a paycheck or if you actually want satisfaction from your job.

Fitness-wise, just fucking run. A 10 minute mile is fucking pathetic, even the fattest of slobs I work with run faster than that. You really don't need to put much work into it, just quit falling for the 'cardio kills muh gainz' meme.