Is it possible for humans to change God's mind on something in the Christian doctrine?

Is it possible for humans to change God's mind on something in the Christian doctrine?

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.org/summa/1019.htm#article7
youtube.com/watch?v=lK6rLDgtavE
edwardfeser.blogspot.ca/2010/10/god-man-and-classical-theism.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.

No

No

DUDE GOD IS A NEGRO REDDIT XDDD PLEASE UPVOTE MORBAN BREEDAM IZ A GOD HHAHAHA

Yeah. That's why you pray

What about Abraham?

>Abraham boldly pleaded on behalf of the people of Sodom, where Lot dwelt, and obtained assurance the city would not be destroyed if fifty righteous were found there. He continued inquiring, reducing the number to forty five, forty, thirty, twenty, and finally if there were ten righteous in the city, it would be spared.

Possibly. Descriptions of God the Father changing His mind are obviously anthropomorphic metaphors used for literary effect since the Father is fully eternal. The only person of the Trinity whose mind can be changed is Jesus, because His human nature (which He possesses in addition to His divine nature) has a human mind that is timebound and emptied of certain knowledge and thus is capable of "changing" as we understand that process from our own experience, although the knowledge His mind possesses is obvious far beyond what other humans possess. I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would be different from the Father as He does not possess a human mind like Jesus does and so is eternal without a temporal thought process. So your answer is yes, Jesus can change His human mind, but the Father and the Holy Spirit do not change their minds in a literal sense.

God was engaging in rhetoric with Abraham. God already knew what would happen and His mind was already made up. That was all just for the sake of argument.

yes, god changes his mind based on human arguements in the bible. his nature however is static

Dude, if you having a seizure please call the emergency medical authorities of your country.

newadvent.org/summa/1019.htm#article7

Revisionism

I agree with this guy, Yahweh and Jesus are not the same being and every Christian points this out time and again.

Uh no that's heresy. They're two different persons in the same being.

On the big things, like whether or not murder is allowed, no. On smaller things, like the number of righteous people Sodom needs to not get destroyed, it's possible to bargain ( see )

>murders two christians for not paying the church the entirety of their money

>murders a guy for picking up sticks on Saturday

Not really. This interpretation is far older than Christianity, and is addressed in the Bible itself. The Church Fathers discussed such passages as well. Aquinas treated the matter in the Summa Theologica treated above, and some ecumenical council or other settled it as a matter of doctrine, and it's found in the catechisms. The orthodox position is hardly "revisionism" if the matter has always been interpreted that way. This isn't a controversial issue.

No. Whatever discussion He had with humans, He already knew what would happen and the result way before there was the Light. The actions He did was for humans' sake.

>murders the entire male population of nations so Jews can carry off the virgin women for rapey tiem

>This interpretation is far older than Christianity, and is addressed in the Bible itself.
Source? Everything else you said is plain revisionism but whatever.

>changes mind during discussion
>one thousand years later writes text where he explains he didn't *really* change his mind
Is God Stalin?

Apparently it is, because there's like 100000 different Christian sects.

I have the citations ready, but you're just squealing "revisionism" as if it's an actual response, so I'll hold on to my pearls, thanks.

>its in the bible
>where
>I have the citations ready, but you're just squealing "revisionism" as if it's an actual response, so I'll hold on to my pearls, thanks.
oh wow lol

Here's how the conversation actually went.

>its in the bible
>where? by the way I'm just going to dismiss your post and anything else you say as "revisionism"
>I have the citations ready, but you're just squealing "revisionism" as if it's an actual response, so I'll hold on to my pearls, thanks.

Talk about revisionism! Oink oink oink.

This is the most honest admission of defeat I could expect from you.

That I don't want to waste my time doing your homework for you by giving you page numbers in a book that you've never read nor will ever read even though you're trying to take part in a conversation about that very book, a conversation you can only participate in with single word dismissals, that isn't an admission of defeat, that's an admission of disgust.

That's your third reply where you could just post the source. You know that this isn't fooling anyone so what are you trying here.

Go back and adress my original argument with an actual response and I'll be happy to spend more time on you. Otherwise, no, I won't share.

Aaaaaaaand you're out of time. I need to go to bed. If this thread is still up tomorrow I'll respond to your response, and provide you with Biblical and extra-Biblical citations regarding divine immutability if you've proven yourself worthy of further interaction by demonstrating some willingness to think and engage in discussion. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

In the OT, God seems to respond to bargaining attempts, so I'd say at least you can act upon God. Of course, you could argue that God was always going to do what he agreed to do, and that his initial position was intended to be chalenged, but then you run into a problem: how do you know if you should trust what God says to you if you also know that he sometimes wants you to chalenge him?

What if the Bible itself is a test?

>Is it possible for humans to change God's mind on something in the Christian doctrine?

God has been trying to change humans' minds on "Christian" doctrine for 1000's of years now.

You never listen to your betters - you just sit there century after century after century, read your complete fraud of a book, deny reality, and murder people.

youtube.com/watch?v=lK6rLDgtavE

>writes
The Bible was writen by humans, user.

>he thinks He made those denominations

God made everything, user.

Clearly yes. Exodus 32:9-14 states it flat out.

>Is it possible for humans to change God's mind on something in the Christian doctrine?
No. There is a more recent type of theology called process theology where God can be affected by temporal things, but it doesn't make sense.

edwardfeser.blogspot.ca/2010/10/god-man-and-classical-theism.html

No.

if the Christian God is omniscient and omnipotent, he would have created humans knowing everything they would ever do, so the beings he created were predetermined by him.

Can you change the Tooth Fairy's mind on something?

Of course, she's easily bribed by teeth.

But he's the editor. If you think those texts don't have divine approval you're no longer talking christianity