Is white rice bad for you anons?

Is white rice bad for you anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_valuable_crops_and_livestock_products
youtube.com/watch?v=GKJRI4_ojcw
investopedia.com/articles/markets/122415/worlds-top-10-retailers-wmt-cost.asp
aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.4865794?journalCode=rse
eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/electricity.cfm
safewater.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211400478-How-much-does-it-cost-to-treat-and-deliver-drinking-water-
youtube.com/watch?v=4aFxzAZdv7Y
cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/KilocaloriesandMacronutrientsPerCapitaperDay1909-2010.xls
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochemical
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin#History
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. I heard this guy ate white rice once and BAM...aids

no it's just less good for you than brown rice

I once ate rice after a night of heavy drinking and i didn't feel 100% that day

I'm going to go ahead and honor your desire to start a thread on the subject. White rice is not intrinsically bad for you. It Really comes down to what your goals are. If you are obese, and you're goal is weight loss, I would not recommend eating a surplus of white rice. If you're looking for a clean carbohydrate source, then white rice is right up your alley.

topkek

Maybe it was just the alcohol?
That's all what Asians eat and they look fine.

dude..

pretty shit joke desu

rice is pretty much why asian cutoffs for BMI are much lower

China actually has the highest diabetes rates in the world, but nonetheless it's less to do with the rice and more of the growing prevalence of a processed diet with less fiber and more sugar

many such cases. sad

are you on hgh and insulin?

are you at least on steroids?

yes -> get ripped.
no -> look like a skinnyfat japanese man.

If your*

No. I eat it with my chicken. About 1/3 cup. 15g of carbs (under my 20g daily limit) keeps me going through the afternoon. The remaining carbs I pick up are from my peanut butter (I prefer no-stir basic peanut butter which has 2-3g of carbs per serving.)

More fat, not sugar

You're better off eating quinoa, bulgur wheat, buckwheat, etc in place of white rice. More nutritional value, more protein.

I visited an opium den in Thailand, ended up shooting some top shelf H while I was there, later in the night ate a bowl of white rice. Felt like absolute shit the next day.

Years ago I did research on the foods based on three criteria:
1. Cost per gram.
2. Protein per gram.
3. Calories per gram.

Based on my research I found that rice has the highest ratio of Calories/Price than any other food.
Additionally, Rice had the lowest ratio of Price/Gram

This means that White rice, in bulk is both the cheapest source of calories, as well as the cheapest food available.

This makes sense due to the economy of scale.
Rice ranks #1 in terms of value. It is the most valuable crop in the world.
Rice ranks #3 in terms of quantity produced. It sits behind sugar and corn. There's hundreds of thousands metric shit-tons of this stuff produced.

So:
1. Once you have your protein intake squared away (I found some interesting information about that), and...
2. You're hitting your reccomended daily intake for both essential fatty acids, and...
3. You're within both the Reccomended Daily Intake and Upper Tolerable Limits for both essential vitamins and dietary elements, and...
4. You're looking to fill out your remaining calories, then hit up that white rice.

Nothing is cheaper, and provides as many calories as rice.

Note: I didn't research refined sugar, because who the fuck would consume sugar at quantities that comprise a large portion of your diet.
Fuck sugar, and fuck the diabetic-fatfucks that are addicted to it.

I don't give a shit. There's no way I'm ever going to trade the delicious white rice dripping of some tasty sauce to eat the disgusting shit that is brown rice.

>m-muh cutting
Ye not worth it. Food is literally my biggest pleasure in life.

Forgot to add my source for the ranking data.
Here's a table on Wikipedia that uses data derived from the Food and Agricultural organization:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_valuable_crops_and_livestock_products

But is it really?
And do you know what the term "nutritional value" actual means?

Because I do. I'll explain in the next post.

No offense but wheat flour is cheaper though
>Note: I didn't research refined sugar, because who the fuck would consume sugar at quantities that comprise a large portion of your diet.
Fuck sugar, and fuck the diabetic-fatfucks that are addicted to it.
Sugar keeps you slim and gives you the energy to work out
youtube.com/watch?v=GKJRI4_ojcw

i love rice, its so good

u should post your research

That's why you'll always look like shit

that joke was pretty trash tho breh. one can hardly refer to it as a joke with a straight face, even

Nah I look alright, I'm around 14-15% bodyfat. I don't need to be below 15% bodyfat. I lift for strength anyway.

I just did some quick googling on Sugar vs. Rice in terms of price per unit weight.

I based the prices on what the #1 World-Wide Retailer (based on annual revenue), would sell Rice and Sugar for.
Also known as motherfuckin' Walmart™
Retailer ranking (2015): investopedia.com/articles/markets/122415/worlds-top-10-retailers-wmt-cost.asp

The cheapest and largest quantity of sugar sold is a 25 lbs (11.34 kg) bag for 15.64 USD
The cheapest and largest quantity of rice sold is a 20 lbs (9.07 kg) bag for 10.44 USD

After unit conversion:
This means 100 grams of sugar costs 0.1379 USD, (almost 14 cents)
This means 100 grams of rice costs 0.1151 USD, (almost 12 cents)

Rice is still the cheapest source of energy (calories) on the market.
Theoretically, as long as you intake the appropriate amounts of the 41 essential nutrients (and 9 conditionally essential nutrients); your calories can come from any source.
This means that your remaining unmet calories could be substituted with rice or even sugar water.

However, there is a cost in the preparation of uncooked rice.
Whereas sugar need only be dissolved into water (or perhaps eaten raw wtf?!),
rice must be boiled.

According to this abstract:
aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.4865794?journalCode=rse

Cooking 1 kg of rice in a pressure cooker takes 824±10 kJ of energy and 1357 ± 16 seconds.
Converting into watts this gives us roughly:
607 watts

This means it takes 60.7 watts of energy to cook 100 grams of rice.

According to the U.S. Energy Administration, the national average price of electricity for the residential sector is 12.87 cents per kW*h
eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/electricity.cfm

This means we must add an additional 0.0078 USD ( almost 1 cent ) to the price of 100 grams of rice.
This means 100 grams of sugar costs 0.1379 USD, (almost 14 cents)
This means 100 grams of rice costs 0.1229 USD, (a bit more than 12 cents)

>What about water costs?
Go fuck yourself

>Actual interesting data on Veeky Forums
Th-thanks?

>60.7 watts of energy
>watts of energy
>watts
>of energy
u wot m8

>This means it takes 60.7 watts of energy to cook 100 grams of rice.

That's not how watts work, watt is the flow of energy (joule) per second.

Correlation =/ causation

US fat consumption has actually gone down from about 40% to 30%, thanks to the anti-fat health campaign. What has gone up is carb consumption. It's not simply carbs, the similar trend in both countries is the growing prevalence of processed food (lack of fiber), and the increase in overall sugar consumption as a result

Took me forever to find the relevant information from a credible source.
safewater.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211400478-How-much-does-it-cost-to-treat-and-deliver-drinking-water-
And the fuckers still give the vague qualifier "slightly more", How is that in anyway quantifiable?!
Anyways, according to the Enviromental Protection Agency, the cost of drinking water is:
slightly more than 2 USD per 1000 gallons.
We will assume 2 USD per 1000 gallons flat.

Assuming you dissolve your sugar in water instead of eating it raw (Hello soda!)
The solubility of sugar is 180 grams per 100 mL of water.
Therefore it would take 55.56 mL of water to dissolve 100 grams of sugar completely.
(for reference a typical can of Pepsi is 355 mL and contains 41 grams of sugar.)

The cost of water, to consume the 100 grams of sugar comes out to less than 0.0001 USD
So for our purposes it's negligible.

On the other hand, assuming it takes 1.5 cups (350 mL) of water to cook 1 cup of rice (~180 grams), you get:
194.44 mL of water to cook 100 grams of rice
Again, the cost of water to prepare 100 grams of rice comes out to less than 0.0001 USD
So it's also negligible.

Conclusion: Water is fucking cheap. Ignore it's cost in food preparation unless you are doing some large scale shit.

The correct term is power.
However, the numbers are still accurate.

It's not "bad". There is some validity to the argument that brown rice is "better" but the difference isn't nearly as big as people say.

>I didn't catch a joke someone made
>It must just be a bad joke

what did he mean by this

I researched your claim, and you are correct.
On the motherfuckin' Walmart™ site I was able to find a 5lb (2.28 kg) bag of unbleached all-purpose flour for 2.56 USD

So to compare the prices of all three (without factoring the energy used to prepare the food):
100 grams of sugar costs 0.1379 USD, (almost 14 cents)
100 grams of rice costs 0.1151 USD, (almost 12 cents)
100 grams of all-purpose flour costs 0.1129 USD (a bit less than 12 cents)

Very good catch, bud.

I still want to address the issue of which is "healthier" between White Rice, Buckwheat, and Quinoa.
But before I do, does anyone want me to add a food to the list to be analyzed?

And before you ask... no sugar, because fuck sugar and the fatfucks that consume it.

Yes

pros:
>Good bulking food and energy source.
>Cheap.
>Easy to prepare
>Can be used in various dishes
cons:
>poor vitamin profile compared to brown rice (brown has issues too read below), poor Asians who eat almost exclusively white rice have serious b vitamin deficiencies
>Due to the rice field flooding in cultivation it is more likely to absorb arsenic compared to drier grain like oats and wheat
>Brown rice while richer in vitamins is more likely to have arsenic issues as the milling process to produce white rice gets rid of a lot of the material which absorbs it.

You can massively reduce the arsenic issues by researching varieties which contain lower amounts (Basmati I think) and soaking the rice for a night in water and discarding the water.

Then boil it in a lot of water while cooking and discard most of it. Don't let it just evaporate, you want most of the arsenic to be poured out with the water.

This isn't tinfoil stuff a lot of scientists are legit worried about arsenic in rice so its wise to take precautions, also I believe Bangladesh has some of the highest arsenic levels in the world so I'd avoid rice from there.

I normally eat brown rice when I want the carbs
white rice is exclusive only when I go eat sushi which is a rare occasion in it of itself but oh so satisfying

No of course it's not bad what the fuck.

Brown rice is superior because of the micronutrients, but macros are pretty much the same, and they're both very good foods.

>China actually has the highest diabetes rates in the world

Only in the last few years

youtube.com/watch?v=4aFxzAZdv7Y

>US fat consumption has actually gone down from about 40% to 30%
>What has gone up is carb consumption

The actual amount of fat in the diet has gone up. It only went down slightly as a percentage, but total calories along with total fat have gone up. Carbs have actually gone down in the last few years, while obesity continues to go up.

cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/KilocaloriesandMacronutrientsPerCapitaperDay1909-2010.xls

>thanks to the anti-fat health campaign

This also never happened.

And that comes from lack of activity, a westernized diet, and eating more in general.

The three things that outright ensure diabetes.

Yeah, Americans are following the dietary recommendations from the experts to the T. Eat fast food at least twice daily, snack on processed junk throughout the day, avoid vegetables and make you sure to add generous amounts of cheese, meat and oil whenever you are eating something that may contain carbohydrates so you don't "spike your blood sugar"!

I have decided.

I will compare the nutritional profile of:
1. White Rice, long grain - cooked
2. Quinoa - cooked
3. Brown Rice, long grain - cooked
4. Kale, boiled, drained, without salt
5. Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached

But first you faggots need to learn what "healthy" means.
You see a lot of fuckers around here peddling the term "healthy" as a catch all.
The thing is, you body is amazing. Using a few basic building blocks, it can create everything it needs.
These building blocks are called essential nutrients
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient

A deficiency in an essential nutrient will lead to a disease or in some deficiencies, death.
(For example:
a deficiency in Vitamin B1 leads to a condition known as Beriberi
a deficiency in Vitamin B3 leads to a condition known as Pellagra
a deficiency in Vitamin C leads to a condition known as Scurvy
a deficiency in Vitamin D leads to a condition known as Rickets
a deficiency in Potassium leads to a condition known as Hypokalemia
a deficiency in Phosphorous leads to a condition known as Hypophosphatemia
a deficiency in Calcium leads to a condition known as Hypocalcaemia
a deficiency in an essential amino acid leads to a condition known as Kwashiorkor
a deficiency in an essential fatty acid leads to a condition known as Dermatitis

Note:
1.This list IS NOT exhaustive. There are more conditions brought on by other deficiencies
2.You can develop a condition by taking too much of certain essential nutrients.)

So for practical purposes it's important that we define something that is healthy as something that has a high content of "essential nutrients".
There are 4 category of essential nutrients:
1. Vitamins
2. Minerals (also called Dietary Elements)
3. Amino Acids
4. Fatty Acids

The part that's complicated is that it is extremely rare that ONE food provides ALL your nutritional needs.

Essential nutrients are important for avoiding diseases caused by malnutrition. Non-essential nutrients that are mostly absent in refined foods even when they're fortified are important for avoiding chronic diseases.

Yes, you refer to Phytochemicals.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochemical

And I find truth in what you said:
>Essential nutrients are important for avoiding diseases caused by malnutrition. Non-essential nutrients that are mostly absent in refined foods even when they're fortified are important for avoiding chronic diseases.

The list of essential nutrients is not definitively exhaustive.
One look at the history of say, vitamins:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin#History

Shows that our understanding of what we call "essential nutrients" was a gradual progression.
And just like the past, there probably are essential nutrients that we have yet to discover.
It is not unreasonable to believe this, and it's probably the case in fact.

However, the current list of essential nutrients represent a culmination of scientific inquiry and research that goes back more than 100+ years.
It is the best list that modern science can produce at the current time.

The other nutrients (phytochemicals) are still yet to be fully understood. Additionally, they have yet to be recognized as essential.
(Now I'm beginning to wonder what threshold of proof must be crossed for a new nutrient to be considered "essential". I'll have to do some research)

The truth is, the human body and the nutrients that sustain it; is incredibly complex.
My advice is to make sure you have proper levels of the essential nutrients first, before you begin to add other compounds to your diet.
(things like trans-resveratrol and lycopene)

Also I've decided to make a video on nutritional analysis instead of posting here.
It may take me a while but I'll make a post on this board. Keep your eyes out for me ^_^

Post great information and backs it up with arguments.

>uh no cause I said so

Shiggyhyggy

motherfucker i think i love you. i think the human body is a fascinating thing and all this work you've done is pretty great. keep it up

White rice is fine brown is better because dietary fiber and more vitamins.