Tfw stalling on ohp

>tfw stalling on ohp

Nature of the beast. Use micro plates and be strict on form.

volume and pause reps
also micro plates

Deload if you haven't already.

Try working at 55-60% of your 1rm to accumulate lots of volume with high rep quality.

Focus on not just pressing the weight, but keeping your form clean as fuck and not grinding reps out.
Stay like 4-5 reps shy of failure.

other things to add to everything else that's been said: don't bounce the weight when it returns to the starting position (though this might be what meant by 'pause reps'); try upping the frequency as well as the volume (e.g. doing it 3x a week if you're currently doing it 2x a week); and focus on bar speed

Time to stop Starting Strength and switch to 5/3/1.

I know its fun to always push giant weight up in the air but you gotta take the volume pill eventually to keep improving.

>5/3/1
>volume

top kek

BBB x 2/week

Q U A D D M G

fair enough. Wendler has so many different variations on 5/3/1 (and the vanilla variety is terrible)

Vanilla 5/3/1 took me to a 350 bench at 175lbs bodyw8 how does that make you feel?

jealous and depressed. did you really use pic related alone?

Try some tri isolation like skull crushers

do variations in terms of grip width and front/back

I pushed from 65 -> 72.5 in 1.5 months mainly by microloading and doing variations. also, lateral raises are a meme in terms of assisting, just like triceps extension for bench. you're never going to be able to do meaningful weight relative to your OHP weight.

Yup. On my second bulk I managed to do linear progression from 220-275 then switched to 5/3/1 and kept hitting PRs. Even now I normally hit a PR every other bench session.

My chest is blessed. My legs are not. Poverty 420 squat.

inb4 5/3/1 caused shitty squat. I'm on sheiko.

Also I skipped the deload week for bench. Don't seem to need it.

posting ohpasta:

Here's some legit advice. I know olympic history and how weightlifters trained pre and post roids when OHP was a competitive lift. I also have a 105kg max single without gear.

>Basically they trained at mostly around 85% for 1-3 reps, at 6-12 sets with rest typically lower than you're used to at around 2min, across 3 (minimum) to 5 max days per week and tested max every 1-4 weeks before adjusting max to reflect the new weight.

>A typical routine from the pre-roid era that was recommended by the British Amateur Weightlifting Association for an intermediate:
>150lbs/67.5kg max press
>110 x 3x3
>120 x 3x3
>130 x 3x2
>140 x 3x1
>[Feel free to simplify to 70/80/85/90-92%]
>3xweek
>Source: 'Bodybuilding' by John Barrs

>Another inter from a top 50s weightlifting with a difference:
>Warm up - 3/2/2 (from 70% of max)
>Take a weight 15kg lighter than your max
>Do 10x1
>Add a set per session until you are doing 14x1
>Add 2.5kg, start again at 10x1 and continue until you stall
>Source: Jim Halliday 'Olympic Weightlifting'

>Another from a top 40s presser that is completely different to what you're used to:
>150 max
>100 x 5
>110 x 4
>120 x 3
>130 x 2
>140 x 1
>130 x 2
>120 x 3
>110 x 4
>100 x 5
>Source: Al Murray discussing Josef Manger's favourite pressing routine

>And here is a schedule so you can text your max:
>120lbs Max
>85lbs 2x3
>95 2x3
>100 1x3
>110 1x2
>115 x1
>120 x1
>ATTEMPT NEW MAX (2.5kg more) x1
>[Use 5m rest for max 2-3 for rest]
>Source: George Kirkley

>[If you're interested in a modern strength writer who does something similar Google Jamie Lewis and his 'Destroy the Opposition' book. He's clearly read/used the same sources in designing his template but does not attribute them directly in his book. 5/3/1 also uses similar thinking, but I've always found my pressing goes down when I do it. (Due to not enough weekly pressing - my opinion.) Though YMMV as few at my weight of 88kg are doing 105kg max presses.]

I wouldn't worry too much about those poverty squats. They're high enough to at least keep your legs in shape so you don't look like a t-rex.

Thanks bruh

Any accessories you would recommend? I've done a triple with 97.5kg on bench (form was fine) but still only ~45kg for triple on OHP, so I can only assume it's shoulders that are weak for me.

Wew thanks lad

Wide grip + behind the back, then maybe pause. Some of my buddies swear by pause but it doesnt work for me that well. Dont neglect your triceps either.

I should mention despite my stat (80kg for reps) my shoulders do not at all look impressive.

Add in push press.

Gg

>stalling on accessory lifts
>progressing on main compounds

Fuck i forgot this
Cores are pretty much going to be a limitation at a time if you go for rip's method

>OHP is an accessory lift

Dyels please

now this is good stuff. thanks

never said it was OHP m8, i just dont understand how i can have trouble with one lift but still progress on the other when i was thinking they would feed into each other

Its not stalling because you are doing more work (PR from main lift taxing muscles more + same constant work from the accessories = lifts going up)

I dont think stalling on accessories relative to compound is weird at all, isnt that the principle?

I plateaud on leg extensions in under a month but squat progressed 4 months without a problem

kys

>can do 80kg on seated
>try standing OHP
>can barely do 50kg

Probably a matter of getting accostumed to the movement. Continue doing it standing and you'll quickly progress

this is cool but how would you program it week by week

>accessory lifts
Nothing is accessory unless you focus on a specific lift which can be different for everyone else

>kys
same goes for you, tripfaggot

You'd recommend doing them as accessory along side OHP, or in place of?

I started doing dips for triceps a few months ago and they're progressing well weight wise and looking joocy, that along with my decent bench is what makes me so certain it's my shoulders holding me back.

if 5/3/1 is the volume pill then Sheiko's the whole bottle. gl user

>72.5kg 1RM in January
>stall
>stop for 4 weeks
>now have 60kg 1RM