Anyone else meditate daily...

Anyone else meditate daily? I been doing it for 4 months and I feel like it's the most important thing I've ever started doing (yes, even more important then exercise). Let me tell you a story.
>Go to a small college with less then 3000 students.
>everyone knows me as the cute autistic guy. Since freshmen year I've been unable to make eye contact, talk to girls, and say anything beyond one to two word answers.
>noticed improvements to my anxiety levels from meditation but haven't really seen any tanigable results.
>2 days ago, walking back from chemistry lab.
>9/10 QT calls my name and wants me to sign her petition for student government.
> This girl tried flirting with me at the beginning of the year but stopped after she realized how socially awkward I was.
>flash her a smile and say sure, sign her petition and talk to her about why she wants to be in student government.
>talk for about 10 minutes and I tell her I need to go, she touches my arm and say she'll see me around.
>Didn't stress about the interaction or have it constantly eating at my thoughts like it would in the past.
>Didn't stalk the girl on Facebook like I would in the past, my mind just accepted that if something romantic would happen it would happen and not Let myself worry about it.
I know to most of you this isn't really something special but I've never been able to do anything this normal before in my life. To know that meditation is helping me become the person I want to be, honestly brings tears to my eyes. Ask me anything about starting a practice, I'm no expert but I'll help where I can.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361002/
youtu.be/7HYY4eitC9c
youtube.com/watch?v=7xAeJKgupPI
youtube.com/watch?v=GfRx4JkkoaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Curious to know how long you meditate for each day and what time of day you do it.
I've been very interested in adding it in to my fitness routine bc I feel it will add another level of discipline as well as the mental benefits.

Usually after every workout ill go walk on the track for about half an hour while listening to relaxing tunes. I'm not sure if it counts as meditation but it helps me wind down and reflect on things.

Yall should read Jonathan Haidt's The happiness Hypothesis.

Yeah how long do you have to meditate daily to see results ?

practice and the proof of practice are one

Not OP, but for me, 15 mins a day is enough to see tangible benefits. Half an hour is even better but that may be a long time for beginners.

How do you know when you're mediating versus simply falling asleep?

Good question. It really depends how I feel. At first I was kinda obsessed with doing really long sessions, like 30 minutes to an hour. Now I realize the most important thing is to calm the mind. I do about 10-15 minutes right when I wake up, leaves me feeling peaceful for the rest of the day.

I don't know how to prove to you, but not taking anecdotal reports at face value is smart. Here's an empirical study about meditation, you decide whether or not you want to start a practice.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361002/

If you're meditating you will still be awake. You will still hear sounds and feel your body against the cushion you are sitting on. I like to do a body scan every few minutes during my practice to ground myself for this exact reason.

This might be a stupid question but do you strive to think of nthing at all while meditating, or do you sort of let the thoughts take a natural course?
My biggest issue with meditation is that I get distracted by wandering thoughts.

Lifting is meditating

What resources do you recommend for learning?

I tried meditating first thing in the morning but I'd always start to doze off rather than be mindful/awake and clear minded.

I prefer it in the afternoon or right before bed.

This is actually I think peoples main problem with meditation, they think the goal of it is to shut down all thought, when in reality there really isn't a goal in meditation. I will say that as you advance it becomes easier to control your thoughts and not follow the ones that do arise but to think that you need to be able to stop all thought will just cause discouragement. I would recommend sitting there and trying to focus on the breath (the sound it makes, the sensation of the breath entering and leaving the nose, or just count your breaths) in the beginning you probably won't be able to focus on the breath for more then 10 seconds at a time and that's fine, the brains like a muscle, you need to train it to see results. When ever you do find your awareness on something that isn't your breath, say to yourself 'Ah!" and nonjudgmentaly bring your awareness back to the breath. Beating yourself up over not being able to focus for long periods of time is like beating yourself up for not being able to bench 2 plate as a beginner. Keep practicing and you will see improvements.

>tfw I unironically think of Zenyatta and tell myself "experience tranquility" when I begin to meditate, or even when I'm just stressed out and need to calm down

Yourself. Read my comment on how I think beginners should start and then get started. It's really as simple as I say, just keep up your practice. If you are really having a hard time though, there are many free guided meditations that can help you get a grip on what you need to do.

I don't disagree but personally I didn't see as much mental results compared to the classic method.

thanks for all the tips user, I think I will definitely start a meditation practice and see how it goes.

I like meditating in the morning, but I also don't like lifting in the morning and I know many people do. Find what works for you and stick to it :)

>current year
>being a slave to the empirical jew

Enjoy your buffet of prescription medication goy, you are the best consumer. Eat this pill goy, do not question..... You need the pill goy... eat the pill goy... always take your pills goy.

Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately when I started the cryptic nature of this picture caused me more stress, now I understand what it's trying to say. For that reason I think that breath focused meditation is easier for beginners to stick with, but YMMV.

Headspace is pretty ok for meditation of you don't know how to start.

Haha the overwatch character! If it works it works!

relax bro, it's paraphrasing Dogen. I'm all bout dat der meditation game

Add insight timer to that. Lot's of free guided meditations and pictures of babes.

>n=20

I try 20 minutes every morning.
Sometimes it's difficult to concentrate on a breathing and sometimes I can't do it at all.
Any tips?

I've started using the headspace trial and I think it's okay. I don't know really. When they talk about body scanning and becoming aware of what sounds you can hear and where you have contact with the floor - I just don't know if I'm doing it right.

I think I have costochondritis, this really bad crushing feeling around my sternum. I started having it after getting anxiety but I feel I've worked through my anxiety, however the pain is pretty constant getting worse throughout the day. Hoping meditation will help me with it since it seems to be exacerbated by stress.

Has anyone got a subscription with Headspace? It seems to be a stupid amount of money and I'd like to know if it's worth it.

how do i get into meditation? any routines/tutorial?

isn't listening to something external kind of counterproductive in meditation?

I've had some success in just laying down on my bed or floor and listening to this audio thing by Alan Watts. Idk why but it works every time for me.

youtu.be/7HYY4eitC9c

I think the idea is to start with guided meditation since many people don't know what to do. They can explore different ways and understand the use through explanations.

The goal would probably to be able to do it on their own but it helps to start somewhere.

I've just been doing the free 10 days guided meditation on headspace. Anything else that's free that can take me up a level?

Yeah I have a subscription to headspace. I enjoy it. I've noticed huge benefits from meditation so the 100$ for a year didn't bother me too much.

After awhile the packs become repetitive. But its been great for learning the practice. Would recommend

Just torrent the thing

Obligatory

You could have fucked her. You blew it.

Would the free version be enough to get someone started?

Best book on meditation I've read is "The Mind Illuminated". Best free resource is the classic "Mindfulness in Plain English".

I found headspace to be pretty annoying, the guys talks too much. Much better to just learn how to do it yourself.

Alot of questions! I'll try to my best to answer them all!
I do also find that right when I wake up, my mind is at its most active and it's easy to me to get into a bad head space right when I start my day. I don't know how long you've been trying to meditate for, but it might be that 20 minutes is too long and your brain gets bored and refuses to let you focus. Try 10 minutes and give it your all. Count your breaths too, try deep breathing (8 seconds in and out), maybe do a few push ups before you begin to get the blood flowing.
I didn't really use head space since I think the idea of paying for meditation is ridiculous. Body scanning is really just bringing your awareness to your body, focus on your knee cap, focus on your forehead, focus on where the source of your anxiety and stress is (your heart? your chest? your penis?) and let your attention watch that area in till you feel the stress dissipating. Honestly I've found breath focused mediation to be like starting strength, giving me something as a beginner to work on that would build a good fundamental base for me to build off of. I've started to expand into other styles like metta and vipassana and after 4 months of breath focused meditation, I'm getting more out of them then when I tried them at the start of my practice. Just my experience though.
Read above, Zazen meditation (same as breath focused) is super simple and you can find the comment where I talk about how I do it. Also zen mind beginners mind is a great book to read. Be like water my friend.
I don't think so. You will always have external stimuli around you so you might as well get used to focusing with it being there. I've tried wearing earplugs and depriving myself of sound and while I was able to get into deeper states, my practice really grew more when I learned to accept what was going around me and worked to to catch myself when ever I my attention was lost.

Practice.

Great guide!

>everyone knows me as the cute autistic guy.

Or just the autistic guy

>9/10 QT calls my name and wants me to sign her petition for student government.
>she clearly wants to fuck me

Yep, just autistic

I never said she wanted to fuck me. Just that we flirted a little.

That's the point. Not OP, but I'll chime in a bit.

The idea of meditation is about acceptance of the world around you as it were.

Though OP COULD have fucked her, he also COULD have not.

I am still constantly perplexed as to why some anons take subtle flirting from a person of interest as "wanting the dick".

Just because I am feeling a bit parched, doesn't mean need an IV.

OP has mastered his will and mind to the point where he can be one with his surroundings and let life take its course.

If OP does end up giving the D, he does so because he accepts what happens rather than trying to fight the will of the universe.

After all, man has no control over the universe, or anything really, except how he chooses to react or feel about it.

>girl talks to you
>she was all over me bro totally wanted my dick i'm like really hot and all these girls try to fuck me but I don't get laid because I'm just kinda weird haha

Yeah for sure! The intro version is a great introduction

In my own exeprience meditation was kinda negative on me. I'm a very hyper person and if I'm not doing something I get very uneasy.

must be the mindpowers he gained from meditating

Let me explain my self a little more. In the past, if I was to flirt with a girl like this, the next week or two would be spent with me over analyzing the interaction from every different point of view and beating my self up over every small mistake I made. Furthermore, the only thing I would be able to think about is 'does this girl like me' 'fuck should I message her on facebook' 'fuck why did I message her on facebook, I came off like such a creep'. I was able to not stress about it, I'm sure I did some weird things and I'm sure that she isn't obsessed with me since I had one good interaction with her. The point is that I was able to handle this like a normal person, not the insane clingy creep I usually am. I honestly don't care if we fuck, I'm just proud that I could talk to a girl for once without breaking into a a fit of mental illness.

I have ADHD bro. I promise you that this helps an unbelievable amount with the hyperactivity and restlessness.

>My biggest issue with meditation is that I get distracted by wandering thoughts.
that's the whole thing m8, learning how to recognize and calmly quiet the distracting thoughts is the whole point. and it's a lifelong process

I don't have the acid reflux I used to get every morning anymore and all it took were a few minutes of mindfull breathing a day to free me from this hell

>When they talk about body scanning and becoming aware of what sounds you can hear and where you have contact with the floor - I just don't know if I'm doing it right.

I used headspace for 1 year (had 1 year subscription)

you wont get it at first you need to practice keep going every day and it will make sense.

i recomend getting subscription for 1 month after that headspace gets repetitive and you have learned the fundamentals

youtube.com/watch?v=7xAeJKgupPI

who here uses binaural beats or isochronic tones while meditating? I started using them and making some of my own recently. I use them when I'm not meditating too.

I started meditating by myself for a few years but couldn't really keep up with the discipline.

Then I did a two week course in a buddhist monastery where at the end I would spend close to 22,23hours meditating a day. (it all builds up to it)

I can recommend it since it's easier to get into it than just start by yourself from scratch.

Also they take donations so even poorfags can go and give as much as they want.

Also: AMA I guess.

everyone describes different techniques, what is the best way to meditate? if someone could also describe the process of it and how it helps i would be grateful (i dont even know why people do it/what it does)

Well to the describe the process is pretty obsolote (because descirbing someone he has to move his arms in a certain way to swim won't make him able to swim - it's a practical skill you need to learn) and there's no superior technique to any other since it relies heavy on every person.

This seems like such a lazy post desu, you really think you'll take something up that takes effort when you're not even ready to find out the basic things for yourself?

Not OP but his is what I do.
>set timer on phone or watch
>usually about 10-15 for me, more than that and I get distracted
>started making binaural beats and I put those on in the background
>sit in chair and close my eyes
>try and relax body in wherever areas feel tense
>once fully relaxed, let my mind go blank
>if something pops up, observe it
>make no judgement, just watch it and let it go away
>probably repeat a few times
>try again feel as calm as possible the whole time
>timer rings
>slowly open my eyes and start to get out of peaceful mode

that's pretty much it for me. When I don't use audio it is pretty much the same.

well, i had a similar experience with foam rolling. everyone has a different idea about what it does, why you should do it etc to the point that finding solid and trustable info on it is borderline impossible. same with meditation. i was only asking for a run down, not for you to hold my hand.

if i don't know what it does or how to do it, how am i supposed to make the decision to begin

I started off with the free 10 days of headspace, it's great for beginners. You can go from there but it's a great starting place for just about anyone

>asking for a run down
it's only a matter of time now

No the point is he could have gotten her fucking number and asked her out.

Can I meditate for like 15m rest 15 then do 15m and repeat this for faster results?

I used to meditate every night, and used it to let me drift off to an amazing night of sleep. This went well for a good 9 or 10 months. Then I have no idea what happened, but shit got to real.
> Get to the point where I get awesome fucking feeling that I'm floating above my bed every night
> Keep advancing, can lose ability to move in minutes, loving my amazing meditation sleep
> Then one day go deeper than I ever have
> Cool floating feel as usual
> Only this time..I can see myself and my room perfectly, as if I'm actually looking down at myself, but not just down almost omnipotent
> Slowly energy, or lightning or what the fuck ever is just all around my body going in every which direction
> Feel fucking intense, have lost all control at this point
> Whiteout
> Wake up in the morning in a panicked cold sweat
> Never been able to even remotely meditate ever since, not even a bit
That's my story. Probably one of the scariest thing that ever happened to me. Believe it or not, don't really give a shit.

why did you initially go?
where's the monastery?
what was the most important thing you gained?
(besides the practice)

what would you do to meditate

I had a pretty simple technique, worked extremely well for me, but was literally the only way I could ever meditate.
> Lay in bed, take deep breaths through my nose, out through my mouth
> As my heart would slow, I would tell myself while breathing in that I was breathing in new patience, focus, etc.
> Breathing out was getting rid of stress, impatience, anger, sadness etc.
> Keep doing this for a bit, then just imagined myself falling, almost in a well just a dark circle though you could never imagine how wide
> Calm myself, tell myself even though I'm falling all is well
> As I'm falling, stop focusing on breathing allow body to just do it's thing
> Within a few minutes from there I'd be comfortably floating, wide awake, but body essentially asleep. Contemplate whatever I wanted until eventually allowing myself to drift off to sleep.

The best way I can describe it is to let the thoughts you do have go; don't think about it and don't get involved, but don't get upset that you're thinking stuff. Just let it pass through you.

youtube.com/watch?v=GfRx4JkkoaY

Could you move? It sounds like you were inducing sleep paralysis. Also, maybe you should get a meditation teacher. Sounds like you could make fast progress, but the teacher would stop you going off the deep end.

Do you have a group or a dojo or something near you? I go to a zen group once a week for a 2 hour sit, which is really helpful for the daily practice. You do 4 rounds of 25 minutes zazen, plus 5 minutes walking meditation in between.

I think because I'm in a formal setting with other people it kinda forces me to sit for longer than I'm comfortable with, but after like an hour I get really in the zone and I'm glad I stuck to it.

Successful meditation lowers cotisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone that is known to cause weight gain.

Meditate more, lose more weight.

Meditation is gay though. I learned that through meditation. Sorry for the incoherent shitposting, I'm off to bed.

Obligatory psychedelics post