Tfw managed to reach 1pl8 OHP

>tfw managed to reach 1pl8 OHP
>tfw 1/4 of the badges of honour are mine now

post good feels

I got 1 pl8 x 5 reps OHP on the third time I ever OHP'd

5'8" 170 lb... had never done any overhead movements because of a shoulder injury 5 years ago

Am I some genetic freak or is OHP a meme. Shit was easy as hell. Think I could probably max 1.5pl8 next time I try

Depends on how much time you had been lifting, how strong your shoulders are etc. If you don't ever bench but train your pecs in x different ways for a year, you'll probably be able to bench a high amount of weight. It's not rocket science. Even though training the movement is important, in the end, you're training muscle.

Hm makes sense. I don't bench either. Seen more progress doing "accessory" lifts than I ever saw benching or squatting

OHP or push press? Push is much easier but looks the same in the end

wait are you supposed to count the bar?

I don't really believe this.
Even an elite athlete like Candito, who never trained standing barbell ohp did 80kg for a single - and he had a +130kg bench at that time.

it's weird, I have big (ish) shoulders but struggle to OHP ~70kg for 5 and I saw this absoloute skeleton bashing out 40kg OHPs for like 20 reps like it was nothing

the same guy proceeded to use 100kg as his working set for deadlifts

is it a leverage thing

Here's the story

>had started OHPing a few days before for .5pl8
>was currently cleaning 205 for reps
>qt girl with nice ass doing some meme olympic lift next to me
>her swole bf is working in the squat rack nearby giving me dirty looks
>starts overhead pressing 1p8, grunting loudly
>okayfaggot.gif
>deload to 1pl8, start overhead pressing as well
>its easy as fuck
>swole dude is mad

This other fairly swole power lifter also hates me because his gf was mirin a week before. I'm not really swole or big, but OHP and clean movements come really easy

Maybe
It's 45 Ibs

Nah it was an actual OHP.

>get to the bar
>lol I can do this
>grab hold of it and try to lift it
>HOLY SHIT I CAN'T DO THIS
>....
>YES I CAAAAN
>sloooooowly it rises up
>rack it
>almost get teary eyed

physique still looks shit though

You're just lying

Why ?

I do it aswell user. When somebody squats my warmup for reps I immediately charge in, drop whatever the fuck I was doing, load up my 1RM, squat and drop the weight on him. I am the only one who will squat 1pl8 in this gym. Completely reasonable.

Ohp does more upper back than people give it credit for.

Do you do a lot of rows or high volume deadlifts? That could be part of it.

At your bodyweight that's not crazy, especially if you have any athletic background. If you did wrestling the horizontal pulling works the upper back and has significant carry over to Vertical pushing

not op but is push press a legit way to get through a OHP plateau? As long as I go back to doing legit OHP after, I mean..

either you have no idea what 1pl8 is (60 kg), you had some gymnastic background, actually did push presses or you are simply lying which is the option i'd go with.

strict pressing almost your BW for 5 reps on your third time at the gym is highly unlikely regardless of how strong you are since your body is not used to the movement.

same goes with squats. most people can leg press probably twice as much if not even more as they can squat but that doesn't mean they will be squatting that amount on their first time because their body is simply not used to it.

When do you guys understand strength =/= size.

Your body literally has slow and fast twitch muscle fibres that is uses for different type of training.

Powerlifters/strength training uses the type 2 fibre which is the fast twitching for heavy lifts while bodybuild type of training hypertrophies the type 1 slow twitching muscle which means that a guy with bigger looking muscles can BE weaker than a Guy who 'only' does strength training.

isn't 1pl8 40kg?

it's 60 kg because unless you are holding two 20 kg plates in your hands and lifting them over your head, you also count the bar which is 20 kg (unless you use women olympic bar which is 15? kg)

muscle fibres are a scientifically proven meme. it doesn't matter in the end

Top kek

Are you OP?

that's not how it works, stop spreading misinformation

there is no bias towards either type of muscle fiber at the top levels of powerlifting, such a bias only exists in sports where RFP is relevant

and powerlifting is not a sport where rate of force production is relevant, because RFP peaks with like 60-70% 1rm and all true 1rms or near 1rms will be a little slow

yeah

I was using a 10kg bar

tfw not at 1pl8 OHP after all

feels bad man

kinda ruined my day desu I was really proud of myself

so you were lifting 70kg? jesus thats great

no no no

the bar is 10kg

a plate on each side

so tfw only lifting 50kg

to be expect since It's only week 10 of lifting but I thought I was just making really good OHP gains (I've been jokingly called "OHP demon" because I tend to go up by a few kg every time and have never stalled before)

you're not supposed to count the bar

wtf

some people say I am

am I or not?

I loaded a plate on each side of the bar and over head pressed it. Is that 1pl8 OHP or nah?

you loaded a plate on each side and you think that means ONE plate

it's TWO plates = 2pl8

you are supposed to count the bar. jesus christ how old are you people

what the fuck

1pl8 implies 1pl8 on EACH SIDE

what the fuck, ok, let's look at it differently (especially because different bars weigh differently)

How much WEIGHT is 1pl8 OHP?

which plate? pic related, my squat.

>tfw have to learn how to squat with two bars now to progress

>badges of honor
>baseline lifts

You count the bar, the bar should be 45lbs/20kg. One 45lbs/20kg plate on each side = 1pl8. Anyone who tells you differently is dyel and needs to fuck off for good.

Right, thank you, now I know. I'm 10kg off of 1pl8 OHP because I've been using the wrong bar.

should you always use the standard 45lbs weightlifting bar for all lifts? or at least things like OHP, Deads, squats, Bench, Row, etc?

1pl8 is 135lbs

bar is 45lbs (an olympic bar, they all way 45lbs)

each pl8 is 45lbs

45+45+45=135

anyone else is trolling. you can look this information up on google in 2 seconds.

yes for any barbell lift use the Olympic bar (45lbs)

some bars are thinner but have larger end sides where the weight comes on so they are still 20 kg. to be sure you'll have to weight them yourself. mainly the oly bars that have center knurl are thinner so you can easily front rack it and it rotates much better for cleans/jerks.

it doesn't matter in the end though as long as you know the weight of the bar so you can add extra weight if needed so you aren't lifting imaginary weight when in reality it's like 5-10 kg lighter

For the big lifts, absolutely. If you're putting weight on the bar, there's no reason not to use a 20kg bar. Furthermore, many 10-15kg bars are not designed to handle more than 60-100kg of added weight, so you'll risk damaging them.

No you didn't and no you couldn't

t. 185 lb OHPer

Size is potential strength. A good chunk of lifting heavy weight is neurological adaptation and proper form allowing you to maximize your leverages. All other things being equal, size = strength

Ok, I guess at least I got a taste of what it'd be like to actually do it, mentally. Feels shit that I'm not actually at 1pl8 but whatever.

what's the points of having those lighter bars anyways then?

Thanks dude

Do seated OHP my dude.

Got me from 55kg for reps to 60kg * 2.

On a cut now though so didn't get a chance to go further, but it works.

congrats, breh. Just reached 1pl8 for a triple not too long ago, and 3pl8 squat for 5 before that. 2 more badges to go. More likely to achieve 4pl8 Deadlift than 2pl8 bench tho.

Turns out I was using the wrong bar senpai :( mb in a month or so I'll be at 1pl8 OHP 1RM

i do seated db shoulder press but haven't seen any carryover into my regular ohp. i can't do seated ohp because of the way my home gym is set up, but maybe i'll give it another shot

They're often called women's bars. Allows for lighter bar-only exercises, and typically can't handle much more weight than a Veeky Forums woman can lift. They're also excellent for javelin press, if the weight of a regular bar is too hard to balance.
As for your mentality, think of it as simply switching out the bar. If you can wrap your mind around that, you'll hit 60kg soon enough, user.

I got 6 plate and also 3x BW deadlift today.

Some random guy got proper excited watching me warm up, thinking 4plate or something was my max. So I got him to take a pic of this PR.

mirin
no homo

>tfw 175kg after 7 months of lifting
imma smash that 4pl8 by end of this week mark my words

Is this the natty limit?

holy shit you don't look like you can dl 6pl8 at all but you're pretty strong brah

This is what I look like in decent lighting, for what its worth...

are you fucking kidding me
goddamn here i was tripping on my insecurities

i did 5 reps of 145lbs OHP. feels good man
also got to 2pl8 bench

>not rising to meet challenges and improving your lifts

Never gonna hit 1 pl8

>tfw 185lbs max OHP
>tfw repping 205lbs 5x5's on bench

Feels good man

>still look fat
Oh well, I'll take the good with the bad