Is there any reason to bench when there are much better exercises for chest hypertrophy?

Let's end this once and for all

Why bench when weighted dips are a thing? Bench is pretty useless

I enjoy it.

This guy gets it

they're more for triceps

And it looks pretty sick when you have 3 pl8 on the bar and dont decapitate yourself.

the only cable rack in my gym is always occupied by fat whales doing cable crunches.

How are weighted dips better than bench? They're both useless for hypertrophy

>why bench when you can destroy your shoulders?

why exercise when you are slowly degrading your body with it

Just do push ups. If you're not a professional lifter you don't need big meat titties. It doesn't offer health benefits like legs and back.

It's not that, everyone wants big titties, bench is just not the optimal way of achieving it

I do high cable flyes and it seems like the lower portion of my chest, around nipple level and below, doesn't get as much of the work as my upper portion. Is this just me being paranoid or this is legit?

Bench works the most muscle groups at one time and is the core movement to build chest and triceps. All the others are move focused or are hard on joints.

Not even hating on benchers, it's a great exercise. But you just need to learn to dip properly. Google is thy friend.

>flat bench is not hard on joints

Having the ability to get under such heavy weights is a good for testosterone production

The reason you think bench press isn't the best chest exercise is because you don't know how to bench press.

Is this a character from the new Mass Effect?

t. shit form loser

>he can't bench 2 pl8 for reps so he tries to convince everyone to stop benching

Faggot

I can retard, I bench 2.5 for reps and my chest was still garbage, then I stopped benching and included things like Pic related and my chest grew real fast

If anything benching is a helpful measure of how your chest is developing. If you're stalling you may want to add more isolation, or be able to pinpoint weakness in your triceps or delts and focus on them

but there isn't. there are other good chest exercises but bench is best. of course if you can't bench then it's not best for you.

Growing your chest doesnt mean youre getting stronger
For all we know you could be getting massive ammounts of gyno

Nice bait faggot

You're all troglodytes, it's scientifically proven that chest is not optimal for chest growth

it's good for strength also this

I meant bench, fuck my ass bois

>boi
>instead of boy
this is the most rage-inducing meme

prove it you fucking quebo

Dumbbell press is the best chest exercise by a mile. Nothing compares.

Not if you lean forward when you dip

Literally the best chest/shoulder/tricep excercise

Jesus dude how weak are you?

>placing all that extra emphasis on the lower half of your pec
>wanting to look like you have boobs
for what purpose
you realize vince geronda literally invented the guillotine press because of dip boobs don't you

fuck off bench is garbage speaking purely hypertrophy and sizewise. this doesn't mean bench press is bad excercise because it is the best excercise for building strength.

you should always incorporate both compound (strength) and isolation (hypertrophy) type of training in your routine.

so to answer OP: for hypertrophy no there isnt reason to do bench but for strength there is and combination of both is obviously always better than focusing only on one or the other.

>things dyels say

you're dumb. bench is top tier for hypertrophy for chest because it's well rounded. if you want to do three different chest exercises instead of bp, sure, go ahead but going heavy on bp will still likely beat all three once you can do volume with 3+ plates. if you fan do high reps wirh 2plate you have the best single chest hypertrophy exercise. one of the advantages of it is the ability to move more weight than other chest exercises from the bb bp position.

>once you can do volume with 3+ plates.
Sure but that takes a long ass time to get to

if you can't do volume with 2plate you sure as hell can't move enough weight to claim any other chest exercise as better because lighter weight only favors bb bp even more

I said 33333333333333333333333 plates

by volume do you mean 5x5 or something like 10x10?

>what is strength
ah, yes, the "just fuck my rotator cuffs up senpai" exercise.

20x20

kek get out of here

>not doing 100x100
It's like you don't even want to get swole of a useless exercise when you can do 2 other exercises that hit upper and lower chest much better

Dips fuck up your shoulders and your sternum. Also they are good for chest only if youre leaning forward and at that points its just safer to do decline bench press, which is actually the safest variation of the bench press.

>decline bench press
Just meme my shit up senpai

>weighted dips
More like weighted fedora tips because you just got meme'd

You should tie a weight around your waist and go for a dip in the pool

The point of 3+ plate volume is you actually can build that with training. Bench offers a superior path to progress due to it being an optimally strong position to move weight from. And before you can hit 3plate, you should be able to crank out volume like no other thus still making it superior for hypertrophy. At this point you have to ask yourself why you're wasting energy on inferior movements.

Volume usually is 8-12 reps in 3-5 sets. More volume is better within a specific set x rep range. Varying rep ranges is beneficial too.

I've done 5x5 with 105kg senpai it doesn't even give me a pump

Increase the weight then.

This is my current max for that volume

>actually the safest variation of the bench press.
Besides the fact that you can't bail on most and NEED a spotter.

But I agree, I used to love dips, but my right shoulder has been in pain lately from them. They're a meme exercise just like every exercise, there's no one single lift that absolutely cannot be replaced with some other variation. Decline bench is much better on my shoulders for sure.

Switch it up, do Incline or decline with that volume

Decline may be better on the joints, but It's the only one where you fucking die if you do it without a spotter

Then you're lying.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what volume is. It is not a descriptor for the number of sets and reps for a particular exercise. When people say volume they are referring to a high total aggregate load on muscle groups within a particular period of time. Using bench as an example - a high volume routine would include barbell bench, rack bench, incline bench, fat bar bench and their dumbell or kettlebell equivalents at near max capacity for low reps (2-3) and high sets (5+) followed by auxiliaries with a more typical set and rep range. You'll need more rest between sets but what's important is a very high aggregate load on the muscle in a relatively short amount of time.

Strength is not about the pump, it is about developing your central nervous system

Why should I care about that system when you can be hitting volume PRs on hypertrophy focused exercises

So high volume for chest would be
5x3 Bench and then 2 other chest exercises with 3x8-12 range?

They wanted a set number. Volume is doing, wait for it, volume. Adding a bunch of variations isn't the definition of volume. And doing more reps in a short period of time builds endurance which is suboptimal for strength and hypertrophy. There's no fundamental misunderstanding not even a little.

>Besides the fact that you can't bail on most and NEED a spotter.

This is incorrect. I decline bench 230 lbs for reps, I failed reps with 220 lbs without a spotter, did the roll of shame without any problems (not over my head, btw. down my legs). If you can do it for 5 reps or more, it's easy rolling it off you. I imagine it starts being dangerous to do at around 3 plates, though, so yeah I wouldn't bench that much without a spotter.

see above

Dips and cable crossovers are my shit. I have a really nice chest at that and whenever someone asks me what do I bench I tell them I have no clue.

pics of chest?

You don't know what volume is dumbass you're just doing a typical brosplit

Here's an example for a week of high volume bench work, this is just for bench work and doesn't include other stuff you could be doing in between or whatever. You'll typically need more rest between sets for the big stuff and allow 1-2 days rest between heavy work days.

Day1
-Rack bench - 95% capacity 6x2-3
-Incline Db/Kb Press - 75% capacity 4x6-8
-Lying or incline machine press - 100% capacity 4x1-2
-Finish with 2 or 3 tricep/pec auxiliaries (dips, skull crushers, etc) at 3x8-12

Day 2
-Fat Bar (80 or 110lb bar) towel bench press - 80% capacity 5x5
-Floor Db Press - 80% capacity 5x5
-Close Grip - 80% capacity 5x5
-Finish with 2-3 auxiliaries at 3x8-12

That's a schedule that would be considered high volume because the total aggregate amount of weight being moved by the particular muscle group is very very high

Decline bench is dank because you feel like a god doing it when you can add 10-20 more kg because it's easier

Is this a chest only program or what? How would I find the time to work other muscles as efficiently?

Lawnmowers, anyone?

this happens at my gym too. fatties working ab is a meme

Bench is the only lift normies universally understand, so it's good to bench if you like to brag.

Also some people just love destroying their rotator cuff.

>rolling weight UP after failing it
Where the fuck does the bar go? What about your body? There's nowhere for it to go unless you throw the bar to the fucking side.

Nah you'd be doing other shit too, shoulder or back exercises between the 2nd and 3rd heavy bench exercise and in between auxiliaries. I do some leg work as well to warm up. Following day 1 of heavy chest work would be heavy leg day, and day after day 3 heavy chest day would be deadlift and heavy back day. Workouts are gonna be longer than usual, typically approaching 2 hours but do you want to be strong or a puny layman?

I roll it up to my hip crease, sit up and then stand up with the bar in a deadlift position and then drop it on the floor. You dont roll the bar up your legs when you fail a flat bench either. As a side note, I feel like half of this board is dyels that have never benched without a spotter and are afraid to fail a 1 plate bench.

huuuuuuuuuuh? How do stand up from this position with the bar on your hips no less
The thing holding your legs in place is blocking everything

Didnt realize there were benches with those leg holders. Tbh it looks more like an ab curl bench. I wouldn't bench without a spotter on that thing. My bench doesnt have them.

>you realize *obscure fact* don't you

I don't like people like you.
you realize that, don't you

>god
>kg's
god doesn't measure things in kilograms

benching helps you develop forearms and a thick neck when going heavy

on chest days I start with heavy barbell bench, then weighted dips, then dumbbell bench, then cable flyes

Why not do them all?

Personally I think barbell bench is good for strength but my chest was looking like shit until i added dips and flyes

post pics of said 2.5 plate repping then faggot.

There's no way you were benching correctly with that weight and had no fucking chest.

I can rep 300 for 4 and i'd say i have a pretty decent chest. upper chest still needs work though

>Bench and weighted dips on the same day
for what purpose?

>TFW seeing a huge difference in chest development after switching to dumbell from barbell

God damnt I can not wait till I can rep 100ibs easy, currently on 70ibs

gains

on a flat or incline?

good you gigantic pussy

>there are people still not running Sheiko on my fitness board

Flat, I wish i was 70 for incline. I'm on 50 for reps on incline and about to try out 55 soon

accept that hypertrophy is a fucking meme already

I dont have time for all that shit

>shit chest insertions
>pecs look like a cup boobs because my sternum is literally fucking flat
HOW THE FUCK DO I WORKOUT THE MIDDLE BIT AROUND MY STERNUM WHERE MY PECS SHOULD MEET
WHENEVER I SEE A PHOTO OF ANYONE THAT'S NOT DYEL AS FUCK THEY HAVE WONDERFULLY FLAT PECS

Because compound lifts are best. You should OHP, Bench, then do all your other shit like flys, skullcrushers, and lateral/front raises.

congrats, you just did push day.

You don't, you can't change insertions. Just hammer your delts and back so you look otherwise full and proportional

sorry user can't do much about genetics. Just embrace your muscle tits bruh.

Tried 80 for incline today, got only 5 reps in but that alone made the pump massive

ITT: People who bench less than 3 plates

Bench is the single best compound movement for chest, anyone arguing otherwise doesn't lift heavy yet

Dam user pretty good, the pump must feel pretty blissful. How long did it take you to get to 80 on incline?