What spices do I use so my sodium levels don't go through the fucking roof?

What spices do I use so my sodium levels don't go through the fucking roof?

Other urls found in this thread:

advances.nutrition.org/content/5/6/764.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11061347
bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1326
drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/aug/salt.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=aVtOzOROUqE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump because HTN.

Just drink at least a gallon of water a day to flush the sodium out.

If you're trying to get Veeky Forums you must be eating a high protein diet and you would most likely intake meat and animal protein. You're going to get sodium regardless unless you're a vegan faggot.

If youre young this is ok, but when you get older your kidneys are gonna start to suck.

Also, drinking more water wont counteract the hypertension. Again, when youre closer to middle age thats a problem.

I just use combinations of onion, garlic, and chili powder and that covers most meals. Bonus points of you just use the real things.

>Just drink at least a gallon of water a day to flush the sodium out.

Doesn't work like that

>not doing keto and eating 100g of fat and 2000mg of sodium per day

Buy some pink Himalayan rock salt off amazon, it had a variety of micro nutrients and makes everting savoury taste great. Use it as your cooking and table salt.

Psuedoscience, and it tastes no different than regular table salt

you should eat MORE salt not less. 5g/day at minimum. at that amount it only has benefits

Eat foods that are high in potassium (white beans, spinach, bananas...)

>5g+ of salt a day

enjoy the moonface you ugly fuck.

I thought the causal link between high salt intake and hypertension was extremely shaky at best.

made from potassium. actually tastes like salt

>extremely shaky
>hundreds of studies sometimes to the highest objective degree from like 80 years ago until today
Even every official statement recommends lowering sodium intake nowadays.

according to the salt institute

>caring about salt intake
Autism.

Just dont eat shit thats almost enitrely salt, such as crisps and shit. Use as much salt as needed when cooking.

Wouldn't it be that you need to flush it out with sweat, then drink water to rehydrate?

Same shit they said about how dietary fat is evil and carbs are the best, butter is evil and margarine is the best, dietary cholesterol is the cause of high blood cholesterol. Nutrition isn't the most reliable scientific field, when there's a ''consensus'''.

Excess salt has other negative effects. It damages the arteries even without hypertension, it damages the kidneys, it offsets the potassium/sodium balance, it leads to increased calcium losses in the urine, it promotes and exacerbates autoimmune disease. A high potassium intake (from fruits, vegetables and legumes) is the only thing that can offset some of these negative effects - you should be getting at least 2 times as much potassium as sodium, but certainly still limit sodium

Excess Dietary fat, especially saturated, butter, dietary cholesterol, excess sodium and animal protein are still considered the primary threats to human health in the diet, a far greater threat than refined sugar too. That is the consensus among actual experts and researchers in the field, no scare quotes needed. There hasn't been any change in the science, only a shift in public perception due to relentless propagandizing by certain financial interests and attention whores.

>>hundreds of studies sometimes to the highest objective degree from like 80 years ago until today
>Even every official statement recommends lowering sodium intake nowadays.

Except that's not what the science says at all, it's simply what everyone has been taking as fact. In fact, a landmark meta analysis just found that eating 5000mg of sodium a day appears to be healthier than eating 2000mg.

>Excess Dietary fat, especially saturated, butter, dietary cholesterol, excess sodium and animal protein are still considered the primary threats to human health in the diet, a far greater threat than refined sugar too. That is the consensus among actual experts and researchers in the field

You're full of shit and have NO idea what you're talking about. Butter is in fact an ideal fat that has been demonized and is now gaining widespread acceptance as an ideal fat at breakneck speed. Sodium recommendation will soon change as referred to in . Other shit like dietary cholesterol doesn't matter

Saying what you think is right and saying "experts support me" when you really *have no fucking clue* doesn't conjure up experts who support you. You are wrong.

True, even now the overall position is that saturated fat and cholesterol is universally bad. I actually try to avoid those, and some other things, as well but that's mainly for other reasons, if you're a healthy and active indicidual you won't get heart disease and cancer from eggs and milk.

That sounds a lot like a purely contrarian point of view. Could you link the study? A meta analysis gathers lots of previous studies and I'm a bit doubtful about these findings.

That would be my thoughts on it as well

Captcha: Footpth River. Yeah I don't think so

You were right until you said to take 2 times as much sodium. You have ion gradients in the body and they generally need more sodium than potassium. I have a feeling taking way more potassium will lead to other negative side effects, they are probably just less well documented because not many people get too much potassium.

yes, sweating a lot helps to lower sodium levels

BUT you have to rehydrate quickly, because dehydration leads to higher levels of sodium in the blood

>A meta analysis gathers lots of previous studies and I'm a bit doubtful about these findings.

>A is A, therefore I doubt it

you must be a science superstar.

advances.nutrition.org/content/5/6/764.full is one of *multiple* scholarly articles in the past 6-7 years suggesting that the ideal sodium intake is actually somewhere between 2000 and 5000 mg

>if you're a healthy and active indicidual you won't get heart disease and cancer from eggs and milk.
This is incorrect. In case you didn't follow the news, Bob Harper recently had a heart attack and was dead for a short while. He is, of course, a highly athletic personal trainer. Normal-weight athletes have heart attacks all the time if they have a poor diet, as Bob Harper did.

That's just the normal advice, it's pretty conservative. Most people don't need more than a few hundred milligrams of sodium. But you should be getting at least 4-5 grams of potassium. Getting 10 times more potassium than sodium is no problem.

These two studies from 2014 had already been debunked and picked apart back when they came out. Nobody but the contrarian crowd still considers them relevant. It's a bit sad that you're actually bringing them up. What's next, the Siri-Tarino on saturated fat? Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Cool

who here gets a bloated moonface after consuming a lot of salt/sodium or is this a meme?

Isn't there some retarded 30 bananas every day diet that had people report sickness. Probably potassium related.

No I'm saying that most valid studies so far found high salt intake to be bad so a recent meta analysis is probably cherrypicked bullshit. Reading through your link it says that the only recent studies going against the current consensual were heavily challenged (likely rightfully). Kinda ironic he critisizes cherrypicked meta analysises when he does the same.

>if they have a poor diet
Exactly, if you eat a dozen eggs for breakfast for muh protein you're retarded but if you make scrambled eggs once in a while it won't have adverse effects. In a good diet some eggs are perfectly fine.

A lot of people.

its amazing how many 5-9% bodyfat bodybuilders have fat faces and pseudo-neckfat.

same here. at least when I eat a bucket of fried chicken it gets that way. So I only do it once every 6 months or so

I can never eat at a chinese restaurant unless I'm sure I'll be bedridden for the next 2-3 days.

I turn into kim jong un's decoy for a few days after all that insane amount of msg/sodium/carb.

>What spices do I use
All of them, you're not a child, learn to cook

>so my sodium levels don't go through the fucking roof?
Cardio + lots of water

+ not being obsessive about your sodium levels because it's not a big deal for anything other than high blood pressure and some pre-existing kidney problems

>No I'm saying that most valid studies so far found high salt intake to be bad

No, they didn't.

>so a recent meta analysis is probably cherrypicked bullshi

You literally do not understand what the point of a meta analysis is.

>cherrypicked cherrypicked cherrypicked

everything in this world doesn't function in the way of internet arguments. The entire point of what I showed you is that the science *isn't there* to support sodium = bad. Stop parroting that it is, because you literally have no backup.

anyone got any pics/vids of sodium bloat before and after?

I agree, it's certainly a matter of moderation. Unless somebody wants to run a supplement stack, daily animal products are strictly necessary for B12, omega-3s and usually for choline, iodine and zinc as well.
Just trying to say that a shitty diet will injure the body in a way that cannot be healed just by exercise. Because some people eat animal products 3-5 times a day as the focus with every meal and think it won't bite them in the ass eventually

4-5 grams potassium is the normal recommendation though.

There are many reasons why people could get problems eating nothing but bananas, but I don't think excess potassium would be one of them. There is actually no upper limit set for potassium intake, and eating 3000 calories of bananas would only give you like 15 grams of potassium

Go for a run and wipe the sweat off/have a shower. That will lower your sodium levels.

Another thing is to use potassium, as your bod can p straightforwardly sacrifice potassium ions and sodium ions together in the kidneys, but can't so much just get rid of sodium.

Lo salt/potassium chloride and potassium bicarb are great.

Only spices in my house are;

> all purpouse seasoning (salt reduced)
> steak spice
> onion powder
> garlic powder
> cinnamon
> pepper

It demands on what you like, there are hundreds of spices, experiment and eat more potassium or take a supplement if you're worried your sodium levels are to high

Put "effect of a low salt diet" into google and click on the ncbi links you retard. The overall scientific consensus is that reducing sodium is a good idea, even way below 5g/day. Fuck off with your ad hominems. If you pick a convenient base you can "prove" all kinds of bullshit.

>Put "effect of a low salt diet" into google and click on the ncbi links you retard

okay

>Serious health consequences of long-term salt restriction. While salt-induced hypertension is typically blamed as a cause of heart disease, a low salt intake is associated with higher mortality from cardiovascular events. ... Low salt diets contribute to an increase in hormones and lipids in the blood.

that's the first thing it says

In reality, what we've been told for a long time is wrong. It's likely that the sugar industry was behind a lot of the blame-shifting toward salt, just like they did with blame-shifting toward fat. We're now starting to understand that excessive sugar intake directly causes heart disease.

See, I don't need to google anything, because I went to school for this stuff and I understand it. Ignoring meta-analyses means you are ignoring the bulk of available literature since the 1960s. The science is not "cherrypicked"

It's simply the idea that what is "right" has changed, and if you think this doesn't happen CONSTANTLY with human nutrition, you know NOTHING about human nutrition.

What you fail to see is that a meta-analysis can be biased, flawed and cherry-picked just as much as any other study. Nutrition research is a minefield because a lot of people are producing headline bait in the search for fame and money.

And meta-analyses are sometimes written by people who don't even do research in the field themselves. I've seen literal economists getting meta-analyses published on nutrition and diet. Some journals have very low standards as long as you pay their "entrance fee" to get published. Walter Willett is quite respected in the field and he does not care too much for meta-analyses either. He considers them to be very susceptible to bias and misinformation.

>What you fail to see is that a meta-analysis can be biased, flawed and cherry-picked just as much as any other study.

And what you fail to see is that the entire point of meta-analyses is to insulate the results from these things by analyzing *many studies*

That is

The point

Of meta-analysis

Let me break it down to you once again: I have a degree in exercise science, you don't. Whereas I have the education in things like organic chemistry and human nutrition to actually understand and comprehend all this information at a high level, you don't. So why do you think you are handing down knowledge to me, when I'm in fact helping and teaching you?

Learn your place

>degree in exercise science

jej

>It's simply the idea that what is "right" has changed, and if you think this doesn't happen CONSTANTLY with human nutrition, you know NOTHING about human nutrition.
Again, the science hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is that fake news outlets started telling people that there was some big controversy and scientific revolution in nutrition when there wasn't. It's fake news. It certainly doesn't change "constantly", it's more like it doesn't change much at all, it only gets more detailed. The science is just as settled as it is in global warming research. So yes, saturated fat, sodium, elevated cholesterol and low-fiber diets high in animal products will still kill you, even if Cosmopolitan, Daily Mail and Time Magazine say otherwise.

>And what you fail to see is that the entire point of meta-analyses is to insulate the results from these things by analyzing *many studies*
It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. You are suggesting that a meta-analysis cannot contains errors and cannot be biased. Care to explain why? So you are literally saying that all meta-analyses are correct. Are you aware that some meta-analyses contradict each other directly, even when analyzing very similar sets of data?
You supposedly having a degree in exercise science really says more about the state of education than it does about you.

Yeah I think a vegetarian or even vegan diet has many dietary advantages but allowing a little dairy and fish/meat it's even better. You don't really need it daily though, I'm not entirely sure about all of those but your body can store most.

Nice you clicked on the blog that also mainly refers to the mentioned shit studies. Why don't you scroll down a bit? First 2 actual studies and not articles.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11061347
>Conclusions High quality evidence in non-acutely ill adults shows that reduced sodium intake reduces blood pressure and has no adverse effect on blood lipids, catecholamine levels, or renal function, and moderate quality evidence in children shows that a reduction in sodium intake reduces blood pressure. Lower sodium intake is also associated with a reduced risk of stroke and fatal coronary heart disease in adults. The totality of evidence suggests that most people will likely benefit from reducing sodium intake.
bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1326
>In cross-cultural studies, very low sodium intakes are associated with a low prevalence of hypertension and minimal increase of blood pressure with aging. Disorders of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism are rare.

It's basically always either low salt = good or not conclusive.

Are you literally retarded?

my prof had a hospital case where some woman didn't take any sodium in ever to the point where her nervous system wasn't even working anymore
the less salt meme must stop

>this somehow having anything to do with pop science

I was enlightened about this by a member of the American Heart Association. In a university setting. Somewhere where you haven't spent any time.

Can a nigga just get some spice recommendations

How do u know that? How do you know he isn't just giving the wrong advice to hopefully lower the ever increasing population on the planet

>organizations like the AHA, ADA etc are actually out to kill everyone

suddenly the pieces slide into place

It's amazing what someone will believe just because their HD TV told them to do isn't it

Did I say any of that in regard to those accredited organizations or did you assume I was tinfoil because there are people here who can barely write a proper research paper properly and lumped one user in with the rest...

How about this I will give you research to give your superiors and if they don't fire you on the spot I will front you my inheritance from father. You have no idea how bureaucracy functions do you?

It was a joke user. Jesus fucking christ.

It was an obvious joke at that. Calm down on the roids, you're a bit touchy.

Like with sugar, reducing salt will make you more sensitive and needing less for the same taste. It's already the solution.

I see the salt-idiot is at it again despite getting btfo yet again with actual people who know their shit. Guess he forgot the DASH diet exists and has been one of the healthiest overall diets for reducing medical issues related to high sodium intake.

That's because it is salt. With pink dye

2/10
Perhaps you should stick to your reach to keep collecting a check

You do not have the balls to take that cure to your superiors because you have no morals and are there for a check. Besides it's not me you have to answer to for that anyway...

Yes, it is pop science.

It's fake news.

It's momscience.

Fake news outlets like Time Magazine run with major headlines like "Eat butter" when there is one study released out of a thousand that says saturated fat is harmless. That's how fake news spreads. The same thing happened with the sodium meta-analyses in 2014. There is zero critical thinking or scientific insight involved, it's all just pathetic clickbait, buybait, "everything we thought we knew is wrong" bullshit just like global warming denial.

Another example of fake news is what happened last year with that study that claimed to have unearthed a massive conspiracy by the sugar industry to label fat the enemy in the 50s. Of course that never happened and the paper itself was a fucking joke that cited Gary Taubes as some sort of authority on why carbs make you fat. But the word is out now, "the sugar industry invented the notion that fat is harmful to distract from the harms of sugar. Fat is actually harmless". Sure thing.

Gotta love the "Scientists were wrong - By some random fucking dude ".

>lift and do cardio
>limit sodium intake
gee I can't see where this could go wrong

Wow you really just wrote all that. I said it before and I'll say it again. Giving people advice that knowingly leads to their demise makes you responsible user. The sin of their death carries onto you. You will have to answer for those crimes ultimately...

There is literally nothing wrong with eating salt.

you don't retain water if you stay hydrated all the time. try drinking 4 liters or more per day and you'll see

Mcdougall effectively advertises a low salt diet though. He says "no added salt" and bases his diet on whole plants. If you eat lots of fruits/vegetables sodium doesn't really matter, you won't get a lot anyway and your potassium intake is huge.

you do realize sodium is a necessary thing for human body to function, right?

Huh where did I say anything about that? I only said that the Mcdougall diet is naturally rather low in salt.

>ctrl+f sriracha
>0
fuckin hell Veeky Forums don't tell me you're off dat dere cock sauce?

ye m8 he said no added salt not no salt m8 big difference M A T E

If "they" means your mom science talk than yeah, you're right.
Other than that, no one talks about dietary cholesterol being evil since 2000s you gigantic faggot.

The salt you season with is largely irrelevant compared to what's shoved into premade and "processed" foods that sit on shelves for months.

No you retard. He does NOT advocate that.

>He says "no added salt" AND!!!!! bases his diet on whole plants

>"A “no added sodium diet” is not enough"

>"in other words a diet of starches, vegetables, and fruits counteracts the negative effects of common salt"

xD

I guess you don't consider table salt to be added salt?

75% of the average intake of salt comes from processed foods. it´s actually difficult to suprass the 6g mark just by seasoning alone, but a single can of olives already has that. just keep in check the sodium content of any processed food you buy and you should be mostly fine

Thinks table salt is the same as saline solution

youtube.com/watch?v=aVtOzOROUqE
>The basic ingredients of McDougall meals are very low sodium; you then add salt to taste. You will find a shaker full on every table at every McDougall Program. Dr. McDougall’s Rightfoods meals in a cup contain a separate package of seasonings with salt. Salt makes the McDougall Diet enjoyable from the start, even for the uninitiated carnivore. The way we serve salt, consumption is at your discretion, you are in control. If you choose, taste adaptation to lower sodium is easily achieved in a short time—which will make friends, relatives, dietitians, and personal physicians content

What? He says there is no need for added salt. He doesn't condemn it but his diet will be low salt no matter what. I guess it's kinda ambiguously worded with the "no added sodium is not enough".

>A basic diet of starches, vegetables, and fruits (the McDougall Diet) with no added sodium provides less than 500 mg of sodium daily. Adding a half-teaspoon of salt to the surface of your McDougall dishes daily adds about 1100 mg of sodium—making the total daily intake 1600 mg.

>He doesn't condemn it
>He says "no added salt"
Pick one

He kinda says both. As in "you don't need salt, there's virtually no deficiency and high salt is related to negative health effects" as well as "with my diet you can add as much salt to your food as you want to make it taste good, it will still be low salt anyway".