Is there a better exercise than the pull up? Is there a better demonstrator of upper body strength?

Is there a better exercise than the pull up? Is there a better demonstrator of upper body strength?

Its the best lat excercise.

It is the best demonstrator of strength, and it is manly

A truly "fit" man should be able to do pull ups

What about handstand push-ups?

OHP is the best demonstrator of strength though
a skelly manlet can easily do 10+ pull ups without working out, while a skelly with good leverage can get a decent DL, but the OHP will always weed out the weaklings

Ive always considered the alpha workout. If you see a man popping out wide grip pullups hes in control of his body

OP you're so right man.

hit one rep today with 50kgs added weight
feelsgoodman

All I see is someone with no clue of biomechanics, thinking he uses his "upper last" more and "widens his back" by gripping wide.

manlet

kipping, of course

Some fucker did that next to me when I was doing pull ups yesterday. All the pull up bars are connected to some sort of contraption and the whole damn thing was shaking violently while he flopped around like a fish.

I don't get it, why do people like kipping pull ups? It looks stupid and is going to blow out your shoulders one day.

I do pull ups every fkin workout

hands down the GOAT exercise

Because they want to show off and think that doing 20 shitty pull-ups is anywhere near as good as 5 done properly.

>Is there a better exercise than the pull up?
The clean and press

>why do people like kipping pull ups

>be "in shape"
>go on internet
>everyone claims to be able to do 15+ pull-ups
>try doing pull-ups
>get 6 pull-ups
>wtf?
>join crossfit revolution

But why not just spend time training your proper pull ups until you can do 15 the right way? Are people that impatient?

OHP is a meme lift, the only people who do OHP these days are Veeky Forums and /r/fitness incels who read nerd shit like "starting strength"

OHP = incel press

t. weakling
incel lifts are squats and dl
normies are doing bench
slayers and chads do OHP and push press like klokov

do you know how hard it is to do 15 proper pull-ups for an average gym member? I would honestly guess that puts you easily into the 99th percentile. it might take someone years to get there.

regardless though, the problem is that people are self-conscious since when you do pull-ups you do seem to attract a lot of attention because of the height. they are under the false belief that everyone is knocking 10+ out so it's embarrassing for them to do sets of 5.

How many pull ups is considered proficient?

same reason people go 2pl8 on bench press and bounce it off their chests instead of going 1.5 pl8 and controlling it

people like to inflate numbers, they will rather do 15 shitty pullups in a set than struggling with 5 strict dead hang pullups

actual, real pull-ups, where you control the whole movement and go from fully extended (pause) to chin above the bar (pause) in the hollow position with no body or leg swing? If you are doing 10 reps I would say you are very proficient.

Shit I couldn't do a single one a couple of months ago, I am to 7 now and still get self conscious about having to jump to reach the bar. I fucking missed the jump yesterday on my last set and I'm pretty sure a group of about 5 girls doing meme exercises saw me, along with a couple of big guys (4u) doing squats nearby.

Not gonna stop though, I want to get to 20 one day. The humiliation and shame helps me, maybe I'm secretly a masochist or something.

in the FFL you have to do 15 or you're out.so i think 15 are very good

t. incel and manlet

How about chin ups?

I have a question lads

I used to do pullups at the gym and could do 12-13 in my first set

I acquired a home gym, and i set the barbell on the safety bars in the highest pins of my squat rack and then try to do pullups from the bar with bent knees, and i'm lucky if i can rattle off 5 or 6 of them.

What is the difference here and why is it so hard to do them this way?

No one gives a fuck about you, my man. Just do you.

same number, 10 is definitely proficient

navy seal minimum pst standards for pull-ups is 10

you are probably using more of a hollow hold position

if you want to exacerbate it, instead of bending your knees, keep your legs straight but pointing out away from you (as high as you can do it)

this

this will make 3,4,5 pl8rs cry like babies

Strange, I find chin ups much easier than pull ups

That makes sense, thanks lads

You probably use arms a bit more arms during chins. I definitely feel in more in my bis than late during chins.

This

Why would 3,4,5 pl8er cry because they can't do some abitrary lift they never trained for?

weak traps

pull up is even more of a manlet lift because it favors shorter arms AND lighter bodyweight, so your logic is wack buddyboyo

also i have height face frame of chico

because hollow hold pull-ups hurt like a motherfucking bitch, especially when you have poor shoulder mobility from doing oly lifts all day every day

sounds extremely stupid then

>poor shoulder mobility from oly lifts
nigga what

Chin ups are better than pull ups in every way

>hollow hold pull-ups hurt like a motherfucking bitch

for you

real oly lifters do a shit ton of mobility exercises in addition to their oly lifts

gymbros that only do oly lifts but not the associated exercises have TERRIBLE shoulder mobility in addition to a host of other issues

most jacked people at the gym are incapable of doing wall slides. think about that, people lift weights everyday to get strong and then can't even lift their arms behind their heads

how so?

i've done them for 5 years now and they still hurt since I haven't completely fixed all the mistakes I wrought on myself from doing a typical gym routine for 20 years

if you have a history in gymnastics then I'm sure they aren't as big a deal

Anyone I get to try them with me agree that they are one of, if not the most painful upper-body movement

For my defense i need to say im only do pull-ups but religiously but im sure i did some hollow's too.anyway i will try them in my next back workout but i dont think that they're so painful but ill give it a shot

Good form muscle ups are so much harder. I can do 15 good pull ups but I'm lacking the explosive power for actual muscle ups.

>A shaolin monk

Easy way to train for pull ups. Get one of those hook into door frame bars. To enter/exit room must do 5 pull ups.

>mfw still only doing negatives in the middle of the gym
god damn, do I have no shame?

Is everything a meme to you idiots?

Advanced shitpost

>that ROM

>wide grip pullup in pic
dropped

they hit your rhomboids and forearms better

Weighted pull-ups
Single arm pull-ups
Weighted single arm pull-ups.

Not really

wide grip just shortens the rom and puts more strain on your shoulders, way better off doing normal pullups

gripping wide does put the biceps at a disadvantage, meaning that your lats are activated a lot more, giving you ultimately a wider back.

This is true (about OHP), but if you can't do a pull up you should be ashamed of yourself.

The pull/chin up is one of the best exercises out there, its the best general upperbody exercise as it hits nearly every muscle in the upperbody

Lats, chest, rear delts, arms, small upperback muscles, triceps. You have no reason to not do them

>biceps at disadvantage means lats have to work harder
this logic is so flawed

>Is there a better demonstrator of upper body strength?
The pullup is a good demonstrator of strength to bodyweight ratio, not overall strength.

>jumping to reach the pull up bar

when will they learn?

Mastering your own bodyweight through various movements always translates to greater then normal strength.

If someone can slav squat is almost always a good indicator that they have an abnormally strong squat.

truly a god

Is Finland the only Chin up country? all i see fit talk about is pull ups. It´s just seems so strange to me since chin ups are still used as standard measure of strength here at every single test people come up with. Are we special in other ways besides being the most fucking autist country in the world?

while chinups are great pullups are more functional since when trying to pull your self up you're more likely to use a pronated grip

However the chinup is a better upperbody builder since it allows for more weight and hits slightly more muscles

Explain

we also think burpees are the way to extreme fitness.
Autistic country confirmed

wtf? 3 months at the gym doing pullups about once or twice per week and I'm doing 12 reps per set. Also, I'm weak as shit.

its not how muscles work

The wider grip forces the body to use shoulder adduction instead of shoulder extension which is not the lats biggest strength. The wider grip also reduces ROM and puts more strain on the rotator cuffs.

The wider grip pullup is a bodybuilder myth created by the fact that the teres major gives out before anything else does which creates the illusion that the lats are getting worked. Even if you look at it anatomy wise the lats do not get stretched with a wide grip, they actually get stretched with a small grip.

TLDR; you're better off with a normal pullup

>In movie
>Does half a pull up