Battle

Post some battles that were somehow humiliating, idiotic or some way interesting.

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitva_u_Lipjag
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gravia_Inn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This seems very unlikely, I'm gonna have to check sources

ah yes and here we are, as expected

thats the same battle as in op

point was to post different ones retard

Look at the numbers you idiot

I thought the battle of Alesia was the hottest shit until I later learned that sieges within sieges have happened multiple times throughout history.

But did Caeser really have to build a fortress around the city? Why not pull back and defeat the combined forces in open battle, where there would have been far fewer Roman casualties.

>there would have been far less casualties facing a combined enemy in an open field than DEFENDING FORTIFICATIONS against two split forces

What did he mean by this?

Romans were better in open battle fields.

I suppose Romans should have never built fortifications then, because apparently they do better in an open field no matter how outnumbered they are.

Those fortifications were shit and nearly got them all killed. There was no escape and the Gauls hated the Romans and would have slaughtered them all. Pulling back would have been the smarter thing to do. Splitting the two Gaul armies wasn't worth it when you have to fight them on two fronts.

>common throughout history
Was there one before alesia?
Seems like the kind of thing that would happen a lot in the middle ages.

>Why not pull back and defeat the combined forces in open battle
Because romans werent supermen who could just casually beat arbitrarily large armies in open battle whenever they like

Romans lost plenty of pitched battles against all sorts of people, Caesar could very easily have lost Alesia even given the way he fought it

>it's a "user thinks he's a better general that Caesar" episode

>prepared fortifications put you at a disadvantage

Battle of Cannae

Thousands of Roman soldiers surrounded by Carthaginian forces and then systematically slaughtered. Best guess as to what they did in the face of inevitable death? Probably just stood there and waited their turn to die as the Carthaginians slowly worked inwards.

>pull back from a defensible position into unknown land where the enemy could possibly attack you from any direction

>Best guess as to what they did in the face of inevitable death? Probably just stood there and waited their turn to die as the Carthaginians slowly worked inwards.

Well that's a pretty terrible guess

Apparantly the ones in middle were suffocated in the crush as the whole army was trying to run but was completely surrounded

So what, scout around, find a hill, and instead of wasting a few months building a fortress around Alesia, build it at the top of a hill and wait for the much larger army to come for you.

>build it at the top of a hill and wait for the much larger army to come for you
Why would they do that?

The whole point of sieging Alesia was to actually bring the gauls to battle in the first place, Vercingetorix went to great lengths to avoid facing the romans in pitched battle

It's frustrating how lacking your understanding is

I would have made a great general in the Roman empire.

I thought so. I just had to check for myself. We need to verify everything here.

And they defended themselves in a tiny house

The house:

attacker taking 2x causalities of the defender is totally normal though and part of the military stratagem at the time

>490 is 2*62

>all wounded are casualties

Yes that's the definition of casualty, are you just pretending to be retarded?

Casualties refers to all soldiers rendered unable to fight you moron, not just deaths

>3th tank army

>leave easily defensible position for an open battle where the enemy with double your numbers can easily encircle you
good post user

You're actually special

> be wrong about something
>w-well your a s-soyboy haha

Turk fears finnish warrior

G* ingos btfo

>i-im not a soyboy!! haha

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What was the outcome of that war again?
Oh, right.

I think that guess is based on psychological research that shows that a lot of people in face of certain death go catatonic. Sure there would have been some who'd try to fight, but they would have also been exhausted from running and fighting. So either they just waited hopelessly to die, or put up a tiny bit of resistance and got cut down by rested Carthaginian troops (they had the luxury of rotating their front lines due to their advantage).

Can you imagine the battle being over and finding out that your son has been the only one killed from your side ?

Can you imagine being the horse they rode against the tanks on?

Did the Kahama ever stand a chance?

you gotta be shiting me

PROPAGANDA

It actually happened. Worked quite well too

Giving AT rifles to mounted infantry is an effective tactic against early war tanks

>Worked quite well too
yeah the poles wrecked the germans

>I judged the Poles by their enemies. And I found it was an almost unfailing- truth that their enemies were the enemies of magna- nimity and manhood. If a man loved slavery, if he loved usury, if he loved terrorism and all the trampled mire of materialistic politics, I have always found that he added to these affections the passion of a hatred of Poland. She could be judged in the light of that hatred; and the judgment has proved to be right.
Gilbert Keith Chesterton, 1922

Seems usury was a big issue back then.

wow, polecucks are even more pathetic than actual poles

Did better than France

Are there even any battles like this? The op pic is a forgery.

British invasion of Iceland

>decisive tang victory

semi-elaborate psyop detected

g*rmanoids cant fight

I like using MSPaint too

sources: Bratr Generál by Metoděj Pleský
Československý denník
Za svobodu by Vaněk Otakar
Dějiny 4. střeleckého pluku Prokopa Velikého 1917-1920 by Metoděj Pleský

i prefer photoshop cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitva_u_Lipjag

HO HO HO CHI MINH!
HO HO HO CHI MINH!

Is there a more retarded post in Veeky Forums than this ahaha

>Greek commander named "Odysseas"

How did the roaches intend to win against what is clearly a descendant of the hero himself

Holy shit lmao how will the Genoans ever recover

the kasakela will pay for their crimes

>all those poor Egyptian F-16C pilots lost over the Alps

Brings a tear to my eye

The replies
Somehow make the original post even better

Canada can kick ass when it likes.
as usual, the French fucked up

>mfw even infants were enlisted into the sardinian kaliphate's army

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gravia_Inn

They were winning right up until they lost, dawg.