Tfw finally hit 2 plate bench

>tfw finally hit 2 plate bench

do you guys remember the first time you benched 225? I felt great considering 3 months ago I was barely able to bench 115

Not there yet. Only started bulking about a month ago. I'm st 135 and hoping to add 5lbs every two Bench sessions

>5lbs every 2 bench sessions

you should be able to lift way more than 5 more lbs each session if you give a couple day break inbetween if you're just starting out

Hit 315 then you can be happy. Hit 405 then you can celebrate.

Not just starting out, just starting bulking. Should I be able to go faster than that? I'm not doing a massive bulk only 300 over TDEE.

> three months ago you could barely bench 115
Well don't just fucking sit there OP, give us deets. Did you use gear? How much did your bodyweight increase? What was your bench progression/routine like?

Ive just been eating like I normally would, haven't bulked or anything since I started

>>tfw finally hit 2 plate bench
What is high school like?

My bodyweights went up 5lbs, 180 to 185lbs in 3 months since I started and I benched twice a week

I'm 26 I didn't lift in high school

>26
>225 bench

>be me, baby silverback gorilla
>want to get big
>read Starting Ape
>linearprogress.xls
>tfw adding 1pl8 per session
>tfw bench is at 19pl8
>tfw stalling at 20pl8
>need to eat 1DBAD(1 dozen bananas a day)

>talking down to other folks who are trying to make it
never gonna make it

>Taking posts serious on a Japanese image board

I used to do dips, pullups and pushups when I was younger and had a bar with 100lbs to go with it and I'd ohp that when I was like 20, haven't done any sports anything since though

What do you weigh? If you weigh more than 225 and just barely got there, you're still weak for your size.

Just weighed myself and I'm 182 and did the 2 plate bench Wednesday

when people ask you "can you bench 225?" do they mean for 1rm or for reps? I always thought it meant a minimum 5 reps

You're barely, barely over average (strength to weight wise) but you'll end up getting stronk in the future. Good work on your progress, you're gonna make it.

Usually they mean 1 rep.

I always differentiated it with "One rep max" and "Working weight" but yeah it usually means their one rep max. Technically, they're still correct

>130 lb manlet
>started my lifting journey when I could only do 60 lb
>I maxed out at 250 last week
>I'm so happy
>only 10 more lb until it's 2x my weight, I'm so happy

I used to think it was a lot but before becoming Veeky Forums not even lifting just a semi physical job I could bench 225 after a month. I guess most people start at sub 150lb I guess? I weighed 185 when I started. Do most people just literally start for bone and fat?

None of this is true lol

its never gonna add inches to your dick bra

>2pl8
>225lbs

nice b8

>20% over bodyweight is barely above average

how tf do you figure that? Average for what? It cannot be the average person, the average person doesn't even lift, hell the average person is clinically obese in some states.

I started lifting as a fatass last september, managed to reach 135lbs (started at 95) but keep stalling for weeks now. I've been eating at a 500-1000 cal deficit since. Will I stop making any progress while on a cut?

The average novice lifter can do a 1 to 1 ratio on the bench press. So yeah it's not that impressive.

I made strength gains while cutting

Yes, in my sophmore year of high school, winter semester in feburary

Im 22 now

just getting started out. benched 115 yesterday. how quickly can I increase this? how to increase quickly?

I don't remember what it felt like because I was a sophomore in high school working out for football. I'm 28 now, and my 1RM is 370, so I don't remember the 2 pl8 feel.

Well yes so did I, I'm just wondering if I should expect some more or if stalling now is normal.

OP here and it shouldn't take too long but my gym bro is still at 135 bench and he's lifted for 8 months

Depends how good your genetics are

2 pl8 is good after 3 months of lifting man. What's your OHP max?

I can ohp 125 5 times I haven't done a 1 rep max on ohp in a while

do you squat DL first before you bench? stop doing that

bench/ohp is always the first exercise you done in a full body routine. you shouldn't stall on 500 as long as you meet your macros. other causes could be sleep

I'm in the same situation and have upped my protein intake significantly
(Fucking stupid retarded thing I ded earlier was just hit my calories and not macros never ate above 80g protein at 176lbs)
Now I'm eating a lot of protein. I eat about 140g. Also eating 400 below maintenance
Will I still stall?

I heard DBAD gives you baboon ass though

Why do they have such a big guy doing it. I'm skinny and can do it.

Just got 2p8 at 165 lbs

I really wanna increase my bench. I'm 72kg 5'7, and currently bench 60kg. Doing ppl and benching twice a week in the 5-7 rep range. Bulking on 2.8k calories, and getting ~120-140 grams of protein a day. Is there a way to do this more efficiently? My goal right now is 80kg bench by the end of the year.

After cutting down from fatty I was 155 at 6'2" with probably 12% body fat still, so yeah pretty much bone and fat. Started at 95 lbs

It took me 6 months to go from 135 bench for reps to 225 bench for reps. Lifted for 3 more months then stopped.

Took a year and a half off.

Took me 2.5 months to get back up to 225 for reps.

>took a year and a half off

Why

Most people can barely 1 rep 100lbs there first time benching. It's something that needs good form and technique in order to do properly

I remeber 10th grade well OP. Keep it up and you'll be 3 pl8 soon.

>doesn't realize most people will never get to 2 pl8 bench

Wow, I got the equivalent of a two plate bench when I was 13.

the real fun doesnt start until 2.5pl8. this is the first significant milestone above 2pl8. if you can 2.5pl8 (275 freedom units) for reps (3x5 or better), then you are cruisin towards makin it.

Thingsthatneverhappened.jpg

This

I don't see too many people in my gym able to do 225 for reps

Since we have a bench thread I might as well ask here.

I see people saying 225, but 225 for what? I mean a 1x1 225 is laughable.

When people say they bench 225 they mean at least 3x5, correct?

who 3pl8 bench here?

No they mean 1 rep max

Bench press is a 1 rep max kind of lift

Ok, so, what does it mean if a person can do 230 3x5? I always thought I was relatively weak considering the numbers thrown around here.

stronger than atleast 95% of the population

>tfw benching 5 sets of 5 140lbs

>do you guys remember the first time you benched 225?
Yes, it was the first time I actually had access to a gym with normal barbells and plates, rather than lifting with a hollow pipe and sandfilled plastic moulds.

>5 sets of 5 instead of 3 x 5
shiggy

Literally my max

>average novice lifter

Define.

explain

>not overtraining

You'll never grow if you follow the "muh sets of reps" routines. You need to be training to near muscle failure if you want to grow at all.

Otherwise you're not gonna see any gains at all and you'll get discouraged.
For example, here's my bench sets. (Do this with either a spotter or a smith machine. Yes, a smith machine. This way you can target the chest easier and you can actually burnout alone)

>pyramid set
My max is 315, so I start with 135. 10-15 reps. 185. 10-15 reps. 225. 10 reps or so. 285 Until I can't anymore.
>come down the pyramid
Burnout at 225, 185, 135.
Then I'll put three 25lb pl8's on each side and burn out taking one off each side after every set until I get to the bar.
And yes, I burnout with the bar.

This is the only way you'll ever really see any progress. I went from being a weak fuck who couldn't get 185 to maxing 315 in a little over a year, maybe a year and a half by doing this.

How dumb are you? Ofc its 1rm
If you can bench 225 for 1 rep you can bench 225
Lmao

You're doing it wrong, you're not meant to put OP's achievement down. Observe:

That's amazing OP. Halfway to 4pl8 bench and that wish from the gainsfairy.

Not even westside barbell train to failure, and those guys were roided to the eyeballs. You always want one rep in the tank at the end. You see similar gains, and you avoid injury way way more.

Your post is dumbass DYEL advice.

Yea, the first time I went to a gym with a bench press at 16/17

I previously was in a really small gym with just a smith machine so used to bench on that

If you can't bench press two plate within a few months then you should probably kys

>I used to bench
>on a smith machine
>yeah totally 2pl8 first time
Living meme.

>Not even westside barbell train to failure, and those guys were roided to the eyeballs
THose guys train for shirts and suits.
There is zero carryover from training wrong in gear, hence why they do their low reps.

You don't compare cyclists to runners, don't compare westside to normal lifting, unless you need 500$ worth of accesories to even start lifting your 50% 1RM

Protein is a meme

I'm 6' 235lb and eat MAYBE 100-120g on a good day and that's usually by accident and can bench 290 and squat 500, you don't need it

Most 12 year olds maybe, I've seen people that weigh 60kg lifting their bw first try

>Bulking on 2.8k calories
>Is there a way to do this more efficiently
Yes, eat more.
Like, literally double what you are eating.
Keep with the slow and steady progression on lifting, just eat more.

If you feel like you're getting flabby, go for singles. Then, after you hit more than 2pl8, you can maintain and recompose.

>2 pl8 on a smith machine

all of my lmao

>protein is a meme

fuck science and all decades of study. The broscience is strong with this one

Don't compare yourself to the numbers you see on here. The majority don't even lift, others inflate their numbers wildly. The rest might be strong and have trained hard and long

>95kg
So close

Actually what is the definition of being able to do 2pl8?

Is it 1 rep or sets of reps? Because i think i could push one out.

There was this one guy some time ago here telling how he eats only maybe 80g of protein a day and makes these sick gains but doesn't even track his calories.

Well needless to say I asked what he eats and counted it all up and it appeared he was eating easily over 150+ grams of protein daily.

Then obviously like this guy said Fuck all the science and studies you know. It's scientifically proven that athletes who ate 2g protein x kg vs 1g protein x kg gained significantly more muscle mass during X period of training.

But ya know. Protein is a meme.

>THose guys train for shirts and suits.
You might want to find out about what you're commenting on before actually commenting on it.

Tfw can pause bench 225 5x5 however been stuck for almost a month

yeah, when I was like 16 years old.

whats your program and how did you progress

I did 2pl8 a long time ago with absolute shit form and never had problems. Now i'm working my way back up and keep hurting myself with good form. At 75kg x 5 after 3 months. Wish I was 20 again

>3 months and only 110 lb increase

What retard program were you doing?

I was hitting 240 for reps after 2 months doing SS

I hit 225 a few months ago. Getting to 225 wasn't as hard as people make it out to be, it's getting past 225 that's a bitch. I've only progressed to 240 since I hit 2pl8.

I was hitting 300 for reps when I came to the gym for the first time and my only activity before that was playing basketball.

DYEL? I was benching 4pl8 after only a few months of playing high school soccer.

First time i put up 225 i realized i had another one in me ended up getting a couple more thanks to the pure adrenaline

I am 10kg away from 3 pl8..

current 1 rep max 130 kg

Mirin

Lol 16 year olds hardly bench the bar

Are you guys fucking serious? You see this is the fucking problem with the world. This is the reason why America is fucked. 2pl8? Are you fucking serious? What the fuck are you training like? Any anatomically sound male should be able to lift that after 3 months and even that is pushing it honestly. I hit 3pl8 for a triple last week and I'm only 15. Get off your privileged asses and learn to train. Christ.

1/10

Doing Texas Method and aiming for 97.5x5 today.

Don't think I've slept enough though

When you say, "yeah I bench 2 plate", people assume it's for reps ie. at least 5

enjoy ban