Anglo-Saxon Kings

Apart from obvious Alfred the Great and Harold Godwinson, who were some very influential and pious Anglo-Saxon kings? Who is your personal favorite?

One thing bothers me, maybe I am dumb, can anyone explain it to me.
How is Harold Godwinson English, when he had viking name, and viking brothers and sisters?

He got killed by the French
That makes him honorary English

Because he was raised in England following English customs and speaking English.

So basically this?

>Vikings are a race

It's a bit different when one assimilates into the culture of a very close genetic relative rather than when one "assimilates" into the culture of a polar opposite race

>The absolute state of Veeky Forums

Cerdic of Wessex may have been one of the basis for King Arthur

Yes, but Janissaries got assimilated into Ottoman culture, that doesn't make them Ottoman.

Not at all.
His mothers danish, That's it.
His fathers family were English and Harold was born in and lived in England

Janissaries weren't Turkish

Both Harold and Godwin are Anglo-Saxon names

The custom of making patronymics with -son is Scandinavian though

What about these names Sven, Tostig, Gyrth?

All Anglo-Saxon.

Bullshit.

That's Anglo-Saxon as well.

His father was English and his mother was danish

His mother was a dane which is where those come from, his father was an english nobleman named godwine hence godwinson

There doesn't have to be a load of AE's and "iths" for a very clearly germanic name to be given to an Anglo-Saxon. Looks like we got a bunch of rtards.

Someone fill me in on Penda?
He seems interesting

He is only half English and shouldn't be considered English. A Dano-Saxon (Southern English mixed with Danes), but that doesn't sound as good.

The Godwinson family were traitorous shits that sided with Danes at every opportunity and assisted in the Danish conquest and occupation of England, they also took steps to ensure the Wessex family didn't return to power. They married Danes and took on Danish names, its not a bad move politically, northern England was heavily DANE'D thanks to the Danelaw and so the Anglo-Danes (North English mixed with Danes) were dominant and often sided with Danes too.

If you're not aware Edward the confessor was married to Edith, Harolds sister, Edward was likely forced not only marry her but also to have her crowned as Queen and I suspect Edwards supposed famous chastity was not entirely by his own doing.

The Godwinson family got what they deserved in 1066.

As for Anglo-Saxon Kings I like I'd say Offa of Mercia, he conquered stuff and wasn't afraid of anyone. He also built a wall to keep those thieving Welsh shits out. He didn't even become desire to unite the English, he just loved fighting, power, prestige and wealth. The greatest Chad King of Anglo-Saxon history.