How did he turn from a literal historical nobody

How did he turn from a literal historical nobody...

...to basically a hero with superhuman abilities.

...to a brand of beer.

that's actually fyromacedonian beer
are they trying to steal serbian history too? because claiming that both alexander the great and kraljevic marko were your prominent historical figures is just too fucking whack

Prince Marko is considered a folk hero literally by all South Slavs.

And an Ottoman vassal, nonetheless.

The 14th century created a lot of folk heroes in Christian Balkan fairy tales and songs because that was the period of the Ottoman invasion and the last Christian rulers.
For example one of the last Bulgarian tsars Ivan Shishman had a shitload of folk songs dedicated to him during the Ottoman period because of that. The region Dobrudja got its name after one of the last Christian rulers Dobrotitsa. The city Kustendil was named after the Christian despot Konstantin Dejanovic. There are a lot of examples of that. Krali Marko just got memed into a superhero and a protector and all that bullshit.

Heard a story long time ago why did he became folk hero, cant really remember where. As a Turk vassal he had some kind of juridical powers so when he was executing them he sentenced some Turks to death and thats why Christians saw him as their protector and hero.

>when a bulgarian town is literally named after a serb
Balkans are weird man. To be fair it's near the border.
Why wouldn't Bulgarians call it by it's medieval name, Velbuzd?

Nobody cares. I'm sick of this Balkan shit. The Bulgarian capital has a Greek name, so what? The Serb capital was a Bulgarian city for centuries, so what?

He's basically Serbian Steve Rogers.

Marko and Konstantin were serb nobles, but they ruled Bulgarian lands

It's like saying Richard the Lionheart was French and the English are stealing him, it's retarded balkan wewuz mentality who have to claim everyone is "theirs" to appease their inferiority complexes

The thing is mate, as much as we hate each other we hate kebabs more and we are both orthodox, so that's the unifying factor. We helped each other survive the 500 years of darkness

I don't give a shit about nationalism. I'm a proud through and through Bulgarian with my family going back at least 8 recorded generations. And even so every year I got to St. Nedelya's Church in Sofia and pay may tribute to the remains of Stefan Milutin - a Serb king. Like it or not we share a history together longer than most European nations have existed. So it's all cool in my eyes.

He or his masters probably paid singers to sing his name. He was a vassal and a cunt with possibly 0 battles for Serbia. He died fighting for the Turks.
On the other hand, Brankovic was a true hero, fought the Turks until end, and died in a prison.
Poor Vuk.

>He or his masters probably paid singers to sing his name
lol, bards were the cnn of their day

Bards and the Church.

I doubt some regional lord could achieve this kind of lasting propaganda. It's just because he was the last Christian ruler in the area before the Turks gained control there so his name became synonymous with the good old times.

Why not?
He pays some bards to make him into a larger than life hero. The songs are fun and catchy, and they spread and are passed down through generations.
Compare that to the last ruler of Serbia proper who's portrayed as his wife's bitch, and his wife is hated for rising taxes and using forced labor to build forts (including a new fortified capital).
Bet your ass they didn't sponsor any bards.

Meh, I just don't buy it. I doubt he has the resources to pay enough bards for long enough to spread this kind of propaganda.
And why would he do it anyway?

i agree with this sentiment

Lazar has become the anti turk legend in what is now serbia, Marko in what is now macedonia, Ivan Shishman in what is now Bulgaria, Constantine Palaiologos, the marble emperor, in Greece, etc.

He had, 'Sing my name or else' always works.
Because he was a vassal. Its same as modern propaganda, tell some lies and sheeps will believe it.

Cuz he wanted to go down in history? Some people love to stroke their egos
And honestly, that's what i said, they were catchy, so no need for the payroll to last long.

>Cuz he wanted to go down in history? Some people love to stroke their egos
He could have fought the Turks instead of becoming their bitch then.

This way he went down in history while playing it safe