How come people at the gym are always on their phones? Why don't they actually lift?

How come people at the gym are always on their phones? Why don't they actually lift?

Its better than trying not to look at people while waiting for the next set. For introverts like me its a great relief.

I'm a new lifter. I usually try to check to see how my form should be or what other workouts I should do.

you should know that before you enter the gym. be prepared

Yeah I guess. I just like being safe and tryign to get the most from my workouts.

cuz i have social anxiety

What else should I be doing between sets? Staring at other people?

I use it to time rest periods and mark the set I'm on.

Yes

to reach my daily shit post quota during my rest period and save time

I don't know but it's fucking obnoxious. If I owned a gym I would ban phones

People usually rest between sets, but most get distracted, I use mine to check if a minute has passed so I can resume with my lifts

Helps me time my rest for each set and people don't give you shit when you have more than their max on the bar.

There's literally nothing wrong with using the phone in the gym and check out videos if he wonders about something in his form. Are you autistic?

Novelty seeking personality + constant need for validation of themselves and their own thoughts.

Everyone seeks knowledge, to be informed, and to connect to others. It's easier to do it from the comfortable safety of a fantasy called the wired world. To talk to another person who's right next too you. That takes being able to see people as more then NPCs and or potential predators.

This kind of thing doesn't happen smaller cities and town however. It must have something to do with the close proximity to other people that occurs in cities plus access to the technology in general.

I use it to calculate warmup sets and time my rests...

It's rude and insulting to others at the gym

people give you shit when you have more than their max on the bar??

Yeah because you are going to get a heap of messages in between sets.

I watch people on their phones all they seem to do is click through old messages. It's quite sad actually.

>Novelty seeking personality + constant need for validation of themselves and their own thoughts.

Oh look someone got their psych degree from ITT Tech.

Explain how finding music on a phone fits into your psychoanalysis, lmao oh wait, you can't!

I use it to queue songs and put in my reps. The guys walking around with a book and pen in the current year are fedora tier.

How so? You have plenty of downtime resting between sets. If anyone wants to use the equipment you're on, they'll ask to work in.

It's just wrong, shut the fuck up

I'm usually queuing up a sweet Code Orange or Death Grips song to bust out a good set

>I watch people on their phone
Ah yes, a superior way to spend your time inbetween sets.

I use the stopwatch on my phone you twat

Please provide me with an argument, gramps.

Because I like to check Veeky Forums during rest times

Also makes it seem like I have friends and not some autist that stares at people during their set

i'm noticing a lot of people here check their phones simply because they think it'd be awkward if they didn't. what are you afraid of? you all sound insecure

To kill time in between sets

> 2017
> triggered

Trump is your President get the fuck over it.

>that guy who shitposts between sets

Do you know how I know you're small and weak?

I get on my phone because I fucking feel like it. At 6'4 300lbs none of you pussies are going to say anything to my face about my phone or my tattoo, so sit the fuck down and wait for me to finish.

I might even help take off all of my weights for you.

Have you just arrived in the 2010's? People use their phone to kill time everywhere. It has nothing to do with insecurities, literally everyone under the retirement age does it. This is projecting more than anything else.

I always see 2 American football players (University team) walking around in their socks. Rest time between sets is like 5 minutes for them, and they take up a squat rack and leg press machine, switching between the 2 whilst leaving their shit on them so people know they're "taken". They're both pretty strong dudes but they're annoying as fuck hogging shit and leaving 40kg dumbells lying around

What if you're just logging your set, and setting a rest timer? When you're resting fucking on your phone should be forgivable

>internet tough guy
Thanks for the perfect example of the kind of douchebag losers who use their phone at the gym.

>What is rest between sets

Just log it into your memory. You don't need a phone for all that

I'm bigger than you, that's for sure

So because everyone does it then it's acceptable? you're dumber than I thought

Really? Bigger than 6'2" and 225 lbs? Sure.

Height and weight has nothing to do with fighting ability

If they're just looking at their phone during rest times then who the fuck cares? Like literally what difference does it make what someone does when resting?

Your mom says I'm bigger than your dad.

Lol, who gives a fuck, only people who pick fights are minorities and the uneducated. I don't live in a shitty part of the world or of town.

Gee, I remember being 15 too.

Where do you think the people browsing Veeky Forums are?
Posted from my iPhone

Are you mentally retarded?

kek this

Why is it not acceptable? You said it implies insecurity, I disagree, as it is extremely common, to the point of it being the norm.

There is a difference between quick glances and being on your phone for longer than you work out

I thought we were all NEETS LARPing

Your tattoos are shit m8

I use the timer on it.

But it looks like I am fucking with it even though I am watching the minute tick by.

>that girl that walks into the gym and proceeds to stare at her phone doing leg curls for 30 minutes

why do these people even to the gym?

>Gee, I remember being 15
You fucked your mom when you were 15?

>playboy bunny tattoo

what a fag.

Why do you need to look for music on your phone. What actual need does that fulfill? It's a novelty seeking behavior.

Explain.

you do realize that most girls are gonna find your body disgusting and want literally nothing to do with you, right?

whats the point in being that big if your not an athlete or power-lifter?

I think he stopped lifting for girls a looong time ago user.

I fuck a new girl every week. You don't understand how girls perceive a huge guy like me. I am their protector, will fuck the shit out of them, and can be a douchebag at times (which girls also like).

>whats the point in being that big
What the fuck is the point in lifting if you are going to stop trying? Why do I have to justify my size you a little manlet like yourself?

Good to know you actually are small and weak, thanks user.

Neither of these are actually true.

Most girls don't like guys that enormous and shredded, but those that do greatly outnumber the number of guys that actually look like that. So his dating pool is very disproportionate in that there are a lot more women than men so he doesn't have much competition, and can fuck a lot of girls.

what kind of set up is that? is that a machine? I am confused

Post pics of you with girls

>he doesn't wrestle the superset hermit between sets to steal from his hoard of dumbbells

I'm on my phone because I'm punching in my numbers from the previous set while resting for the next one. Either that or picking a better song to suit what I'm feeling in preparation for the next lift.

Is this not what people are doing on their phones at gym?

You're right, despite the cunts here telling you that you're wrong. Brezinski, when speaking of cities as we head into the 21st century during onset of the Technetronic revolution, quotes Huxley in reference to how overcrowding in animals leads to downright neurotic and pathological behavior and that the same can be said for human beings.

He wrote the book in the 70's yet everything he says came true, especially what he said about the internet.

Not surprised considering he's one of the people that control our lives (If you live in the E.U., UK or USA.) He got his daughter a job at MSNBC and his son a job as ambassador to Sweden, who was implicit in smuggling arms to Syria.

Lol where's the gif of that 7' dindu getting one punched by a Manlet?

Pretty much this for me. I track my weight, sets, and reps on my phone.

you think you're tough cus u lift weights and weigh a lot? i'd literally clinch you up and rape you so hard you need a gas filter to take a shit, stupid meat head pussy

I have a checklist for my workouts and listen to music. It helps me focus on myself and not worry about other people. It's also decent for rests but I usually can't find time to do anything besides find a good lifting song for rests. I like to be in contact anyway.

I don't bring my phone during my workout. Only thing I keep on me is my sansaclip for music.

I guarantee you don't even bench 300 pounds you little shit. Rape me hard? I'd be the one ripping your ass apart after I beat the shit out of you.

i dont need to bench 300 lb to whoop your ass you stupid fuck. ever heard of something call BJJ? you wouldnt even know whats going on while i take your back and choke you out like you choke your gay boyfriend faggot

honestly I usually do get 2-3 messages between sets, that and I like to change songs pretty frequently

Why do you even care you fucking autist

ever heard of something called krav maga? I'm a green belt And
guarantee you I'd whoop your but little nigga.

Lol hold up Steven seagull. You won't be kicking anyone's was unless you're proficient even then brute strength can overcome training at times that's why weight classes exist.
ALSO
>being on fit
>calling people pussy meatheads.
I think you're in the wrong place. Idk what you're doing here if you're belittling people who lift nore than you. You sound insecure. 300obs isn't all that great anyway. You hsvent kifted long habe you

Trying to ignore your dumb ass

I lurk on fit and comment on threads like this

I use my phone to start a timer for my rest period between sets.
Then download anime using the gyms WiFi. Use the app that plays songs through the gyms speaker system. Also browse fit occasionally.

Once the timer goes off I drop the phone and begin the next set.
When with a training partner, I talk with them instead of browsing fit

fpbp

>browse Veeky Forums between sets
>forget about mirrors
>wonder if anyone saw me scrolling through big busty anime girls

I avoid touching my face and personal possessions other than towel and water bottle at the gym, because that's just fucking disgusting.

>not having a gym phone
Never gonna make it

>book and pen
I guess working as a software dev I stare at a screen enough (and phone screens too if the project requires) that I just prefer old-fashioned book and pen recording when in the gym, I guess as my escape from it all. I prefer physical books over something like a Kindle too.

it objectively isn't

>he thinks of other actual people as NPCs
time to let go of the mouse.

>Go to gym
>Get offended by someone on their phone
Must be tough

there was a fucking dude at my gym today sitting on the preacher curl machine just looking at his phone for 20 minutes

>He doesnt time his rests in between rest

Literally never going to make it

lel

I only go on my phone every time I finish my 5x5s or 3x12s to keep track of my progress, because it's less geeky than jotting down notes, imo. I'm getting into the practice of remembering and using my phone less, though. Other than that, don't be judgmental, you never know who may be using theirs for practical purposes. Focus on your lifting.

There's clocks on the wall . . .

then fucking man up and politely ask him to finish or gtfo instead of being an autistic fuck that seethes for 20 mins and then has to rant on Veeky Forums

walking to the water fountain and takin one sip of water

I used to be on my phone way too much between sets, and it would eat up enough time that my usually 2-2.5 hour workouts were extending to 3+ hours, so I decided to just leave my phone in my gym bag whenever I'm working out; I record my sets now with a digital camera, and I whenever I need to time myself I either use my iPod, or a watch.
Now I'm in and out within 2.5 hours tops

Most of your gym time after you progress past baby weights is made up of resting.
Talking would mean committing to a conversation that would be difficult to cut off at the right time when you're done resting, so music/internet is the perfect combo to kill time until your body is done screaming that it needs a break.

there're*

My phone stays in the car.
Only beef I've got w/ people on their phones at the gym is when they get so distracted it delays their next set. Unfortunately this is pretty frequent at my gym. If it's not the case more power to em. Many ways a mobile can assist in a workout.
My buddy who (re)trained me was staunch against using one b/c he knew it would be a distraction and decrease my focus... absolutely correct.
In addition to assisting in a more focused workout, it's great being disconnected from the grid for 2hrs every evening.

1) Use clock app for timer to avoid resting too long.

2) Use Google Drive Sheet in place of notebook to keep track of routine and weights.

3) Use camera to record new lifts and check form.

4) Shitpost on Veeky Forums between sets, like I'm doing now.

Literally nothing wrong with any of this and 1-3 are things you should be doing.