How to improve grip strength on double overhand deadlift?

How to improve grip strength on double overhand deadlift?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12817121/r
youtube.com/watch?v=tMeEg2MX8XM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Um by doing more overhead deadlifts? Are you retarded?

rack pulls with a static hold at the top

farmer's walks

just hang from a bar as long as you can.

Well sure as hell not with static holds

Ride a motorbike

Farmers walk
More deadlifts

how much do you dl? past a certain point you need to move on to hook/mixed/straps. your limiting back/posterior chain development for something less important

if its because you want to get into strongman, your better off train grip separately. youll never do a dl where you cant wear straps anyway

>you need
No, YOU need
Faggot
Chalk
Hook
Don't do Rip programs with a 40:1 squat:deadlift rep ratio, do Wendler programs that are 1:1 instead
Do lots of chinups

>overhead deadlifts

Head still alive

>strapless DL is 315
>with straps 445

monkey grip pull ups

t. someone with a sub 5pl8 dl

literally everything youve written is a dyel redflag. assuming hes running rip programming means you yourself are still running novice programming. and anyone moving serious weight knows that there comes a point where you cant doh your max and doing volume with doh fries your grip (hook works for some, but isnt an option for people with short fingers/small hands). also "need" is in terms of what is sensible, not what what you have to do because your a pussy. its a fact that you are limiting back development because you can dl much more with straps than doh, so you are putting less stress on your back. that means less development

this

there is literally no advantage to sticking with DOH when you could easily use straps for your DL sets and train your grip right after.

deadlifts are not a grip exercise, they are deadlifts. why anyone would outright deny themselves all the unique benefits of DLs aside from improved grip, which could easily be trained elsewise, is insane

>do Wendler programs
ahahah enjoy no gains

>its a fact that you are limiting back development because you can dl much more with straps than doh, so you are putting less stress on your back. that means less development
I agree with everything you said but these dyels will never deadlift a respectable amount and will use straps on everything, eventually fucking their gripstrength

did you read that bullshit SS article too, mate?

you know it was bullshit tho right

plus, 5/3/1 is an ADVANCED program. if you're intermediate or beginner you shouldn't even be thinking about touching it for years

>past a certain point you need to move on to hook/mixed/straps.
Didn't Eddie Hall do a 10pl8 way back with overhand?

Anyway, you got to always improve your grip even when you start doing mixed and hook, it helps with muscle activation/irradiance

5/3/1 isnt an advanced program kek. its just a bad program. even 5/3/1 BBB + jokers is inferior to other intermediate programs. like TM, c6w, 28free, sheiko etc

fucking bollocks, are you aware the progression is monthly? use it as an intermediate program if you like but don't shit on the program because you used it wrong

no. Eddie uses straps for most of his dl training as theyre allowed on comp. he trains grip separately, like most strongmen

also, you are not Eddie Hall. you are a normal human being

strawpoll.me/12817121/r

monthly progression is intermediate. 5/3/1 is sub optimal programming. there is a reason /plg/ shits on it lad

its entirely based on what sport. you cant even give a blanket answer for "most sports"

>monthly progression is intermediate
is that why intermediate programs almost invariably use weekly progression?

by the way i'm not talking about powerlifting, 5/3/1 was not designed for powerlifting and as such i agree that 5/3/1 is a sub optimal powerlifting program

but user. we're literally taking about an intermediate program that has monthly progression :^) any intermediate program with training cycles has non weekly progression

if you want to get stronger and get your s/b/d increase then your goals are the same as a powerlifter. just without the need for peaking for a meet

also, you can run a LP program intended for weekly progression with bi-weekly or monthly progression

obviously
youtube.com/watch?v=tMeEg2MX8XM

5/3/1 is about s/b/d/p so there's that, also next to no practice of lifting at low reps as one would on the platform, hence sub optimal. I'd argue that PL training isn't in the best interests of most people trying to improve general strength or looks either (isley)

you calling 5/3/1 intermediate is the first time i've ever heard that, despite having read the book. the only way i can see it being considered intermediate is because of weekly AMRAPs but there's too much alteration of training variables week by week to use those as evidence for progress

>also, you are not Eddie Hall. you are a normal human being

Truest, most relevant thing anyone has said on Veeky Forums in quite some time.

Sounds normal? Everybody needs to use mixed grip, hook grip or straps to deadlift the most they can.

the idea of tying rate of progression to it being tied to it being intermediate/advanced dumb imoand arguing about it is pointless anyway

isley is fat because he eats entire saucepans of pasta and whole jars of nutella in his underpants everyday. when he cuts he is aesthetic af

>when he cuts he is aesthetic af
c'mon srsy?

true, but my overarching point was that it's better used as an advanced program. not saying gains can't be made on it as an intermediate or even beginner but its doubtlessly put to better use by someone who's already ground through the TM or something

Use gorilla gripz or some generic variation in your your routine and your grip strength will sky rocket, as well as your forearms. Note that you'll have to dramatically reduce your DL when you first start.

Inb4 meme

This. People should be doing more of these for optimal grip strength.

you cant tell me second pic isnt aesthetic

wtf? Who is that, why did he change his gender?
Is he trying to become a lesbian tranny?

true. isley in the last pic looks like an ugly lesbian

Do double overhand deadlifts more. Do double overhand deadlifts with a static hold at the top more. Do farmer's walks more. Do rack pulls more. DO rack pulls with a static hold at the top more. Hang from a bar more. Use hook grip instead of mixed grip.

this

if you aren't using mixed grip and chalk or straps, you are making your deadlift training less effective

5/3/1 is not an advanced program by any means

monthly progression is intermediate, and besides the progression rate of the program is not the progression rate of the lifter on that program

I can only think of a single program, Texas Method, that uses weekly progression - and TM is a fucking dogshit program

every other intermediate routine uses monthly periodization or longer

get it through your thick skull you mongoloid it's not an advanced program by any means

>t. someone with a sub 5pl8 dl
True, I pull 4.5
>literally everything youve written is a dyel redflag.
Post body and/or video with you pulling 5 or more
>Assuming hes running rip programming means you yourself are still running novice programming.
No, I run 531 BBB. Daily or weekly doesn't work anymore.
>and anyone moving serious weight knows that there comes a point where you cant doh your max
True, that's why I said hook
>And doing volume with doh fries your grip
No it doesn't. Use chalk.
>hook works for some, but isnt an option for people with short fingers/small hands
Use a woman bar (24 instead of 28mm) if your hands are THAT small.
>Its a fact that you are limiting back development because...
...You are squatting way more frequently than you deadlift. Seriously. Rip isn't a god.
>you can dl much more with straps than doh, so you are putting less stress on your back. that means less development
By that logic rack pulls are superior to regular deadlifts because you put more stress on your back

Calm down your autism, you seem offended somehow.

Lmao dude all this cope. 531 is shit, you're weak as fuck, hook grip is a meme, and you've got turbo autism.

Lol
How does Mark's Tex Mex milky dick taste?

>TM is a fucking dogshit program
entire post disregarded

>every other intermediate routine uses monthly periodization or longer
oh yeah like the nuckols ones, PHUL and all the other intermediate routines that don't use monthly progresison

kill yourself. also that garbage about TM and 5/3/1 being shit, what a load of regurgitated trash. you've probably spent too much time slobbering on boris' cock as you try to increase your sub 3 plate bench.

You're weak and you have no idea what you're talking about :)

How long is a static hold supposed to be?

I've been confused about it so I just go 20 seconds doh. 30-1 min with straps for traps.

Im I agree with you on everyhing but TM being bad. its one of the best programs if you can put the time/effort into recovery and try very hard

your entire view point on grip is based on using hook grip. that isnt an option for everybody. you think that because you can do it, most can, which isnt correct.

>...You are squatting way more frequently than you deadlift. Seriously. Rip isn't a god.
what are you talking about? you dont know what prog Im running. my argument has nothing to do with rips programming being good. its that 5/3/1 is bad

>By that logic rack pulls are superior to regular deadlifts because you put more stress on your back
rack pulls put more stress on your upper back, less on your posterior chain. if you want to overload your back they are better. if you want to develop p.chain, full range is better. if you want to limit both because of your grip, use doh

overload your upper back**

shit I left on my plg shitposting trip kek

>>...You are squatting way more frequently than you deadlift.
>what are you talking about? you dont know what prog Im running. my argument has nothing to do with rips programming being good.
Try to follow the thread
You argued that straps are good because you train your back without being limited by your grip
I assumed that you were doing TM by your post (which is an OK program but bad for deadlifts) and argued that if you are doing a rational program like 531 then you train the deadlift (the grip and the back) frequently enough that grip no longer limits back
>its that 5/3/1 is bad
Please explain what exactly is bad about it

531 is shit because it lacks volume, frequency and a true progression/testing phase. You deload every 3 weeks and under the original program only do each lift once a week, and even with the altered version, twice a week is not enough to progress on upper body lifts for anyone that's anything more than a late beginner/early intermediate. It is a program written by an old, broken, steroid abusing powerlifter for other old, broken, steroid abusing powerlifters.

I had a bro that did rock climbing for like 6 months, he was doing two fingered pull-ups by then, try that.

what programs do you think are good for intermediates?

Texas Method is arguably the best, other good stuff includes Nuckols' 28 free programs, c6w, Sheiko, GZCL, and RTS style programming.

>Try to follow the thread
what do you mean? Ive wrote or replied to most post itt

I have run TM and will admit its not great for dls. my current dl frequency is 3 days a week, 2 for squats

he ripped off BFS (the hs football program he did when he played) and neutered it
went from 2 main lifts a day to 1, so lower frequency of exposure to the lifts
removed the high-rep week for a deload, so less hypertrophy
put in sissy big jumps in the ramping so "3x5" becomes "2 warmup sets of 5 and then another set"
used a stupid 90% training max so that 3rd set of 3x5 (which the first two are just ball-less warmups) is 8+ reps
basically it's so south of vag that it became "accessory lifts: the program"
had to invent shit like joker sets or first set last to solve the problem of low working volume of the lifts

were the reasons given by people in plg. I know your going to say Im just parroting others and not thinking for myself, but I dont have first hand experience with the prog and trust the unanimous opinion of plg on it

is there a way to improve the TM with regard to DLs? my squat is exploding and i'd really rather not give it up if tweaks are possible to improve my (shit) DL.

thanks for backing me up. youre a good lad even if your a yank :^)

Get some good hand grippers. COC is the gold standard but there are many options now.

How is your week set up?

Anglosphere are bros 4 life even if we do hate each other.

right now its like this (only relevant days included):

Tue:
Squat volume
RDL 3x8

Fri:
Squat intensity
DL intensity

but will switch to the original setup alongside nuckols' 3x bench when i'm back bulking again (cutting just now and gains haven't stopped so figured i'd run it till it dries up but it doesn't seem to be drying up yet)

Rack pulls are the only thing that will really help as they are the only movement you do that actually mimics the double overhand deadlift

max out your doh during warmup sets and switch to something else to keep going

I would add speed deadlifts somewhere. Probably on A day.

ok, thanks. always felt as though i was losing out due to a lack of clean but my garage doesn't have the space to drop them safely. will give speed deads a shot. what's the general way to progress them? reduce rests? increase weight?

Read thread, but as a noob with lmao 2 pl8 deadlift dubbel overhand should i move to mixed with shalk/straps and not bother with doubble overhand ?

I'd use 50-60% of your intensity day deadlift, 5 sets of 3 and increase each week by 5lbs. Good luck user!

cheers, have a thiccy.

What's better than texas method?