Obese Children

What do we do about obese children?
Do you consider it child abuse?
Should parents be punished in some manner if their children are obese?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EPAfS8-wm8g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the parents should be executed desu
and i honestly dont understand how people, especially kids become so obese.
i can eat how much i fucking want to, be it candy, ice cream or fucking mcdonalds and still not gain weight, even without excercise

>is it abuse
yes
>what can we do
nothing for most of them. the best thing you can do is be a positive role model for the kids your around, be it sons/daughters, bothters/sister, niece/nephews or friends kids

dont scare monger them with "youll get fat if you eat that" tho, that can push them into anorexia (especially young girls). I think the best way is to link good nutrition=able to play and have fun, or if theyre older =be good at sports

>What do we do about obese children?
Give them the information and resources their parents won't give them.
>Do you consider it child abuse?
Yes if the child has a current health problem like type 1
>Should parents be punished in some manner if their children are obese?
Yes parenting classes at first with mandatory dieting after that we take the kids

Stick anything in front of a kid, the kid will eat it, kids will also scream and moan until they get their favourite treats

i did that when i was a kid too but i didnt get fat. i guess i just have god tier metabolism

I think a more intensive version of P.E. should be mandatory up through at least high school. Weight loss and muscle gain goals should be a major focus. However, it shouldn't feel like a Marine boot camp. I big problem with kids is that they have a bad association with working out and try to avoid it. If we enlighten our youth to the runners/lifters high we might have a chance.

Could be that, or parents of obese kids think love is that smile their kid does when they get their favourite meal.
Oedipal Mother Shit

>Tfw over 100 lbs in 3rd grade

It's over now, Timmy

Yeah, thanks to my mom not giving a shit and having full custody over my dad, I was 300 lbs in 8th grade.

When I'd visit my dad, I'd play outside.. Ride my bike.. Throw the football around.. Go out camping.. But, that was only 2x a month.

With my mom.. I'd just eat frozen pizzas, and play video games.. Dad would actually cook real meals on the grill, and had a real balanced lifestyle.

I would've been light years ahead if my dad had custody over me. My mom wouldn't let me out of the house.. My dad would let me free roam the entire neighborhood.

What did you think at the time?
Did you think your Mum should have been feeding you better food or didn't you care?

same here except dad fucking hated me and didnt want to see me ever since i was 5 years old
still didnt get fat tho

Burger here. A bit older.
I didn't learn about calories, how to count them, macros or any of that shit till college, and even that was an elective.
In high school we learned about the food pyramid which is to say we learned that half of what you should eat is carbs like bread, rice, potatoes or pasta.
The only way to save them is through education on this shit from an early age and re tach them later, the same as how to pass, all kids needed to know how to balance a checkbook.
It is abuse but wtf are we gonna do about it, you can't take 30% of kids and put them in foster care.

Mandatory checks every year. If the kid is overweight stop the parent's benefits. Most of the parents are on welfare anyway.
Also JFK era physical education.
Also fat people should be denied the vote

>tfw was fat as a kid
>slimmed down as I became an adult, then got Veeky Forums

So glad my eyes were opened and I learned to treat my body properly

Probably got to start with the parents somehow, let them know if their child is obese its their fault and they have done the child harm, course we're in the era of nothing is your fault so unlikely to happen

Education should be exclusively in patriotic music and phy ed. Abolish professional sports, make amateur sports mandatory. Nuke Hollywood, and execute the faculty of Harvard just for fun while we are at it

At the time, I didn't care.

It didn't matter to me, I was just going through the motions.

If mom had a stock of tony's pizzas in the freezer, and a 12 pack of soda in the fridge, I felt like I was having a fucking party.

I'd get on Diablo 2, or play Super Mario 64, and fucking have the time of my life all day long.

One time, I was being a pest of a kid, and refusing to go to school, and some other non-sense, and my mom 'punished' me, by making me spend a whole week with my dad, and it was great. I actually got up on time every morning, showered every morning, went to school in clean clothes, did my homework before he'd get home from work, and then he'd let me play outside with my school friends.

When I was with my mom, if I even went to school that day (I'd skip most of the time), I wouldn't shower, I wouldn't brush my teeth, I'd be in the same clothes for a week playing video games, and eating frozen pizza. Didn't do my homework, and didn't have friends in that neighborhood.

One time, I had friends come visit me at my moms place, and she let me go outside.. But, we could only play in her driveway.. That was really small and had her van parked in it, so they went off to do other stuff.. And I went back inside to play video games.

damn user, sorry. my childhood was also spent playing vidya and shit but my mom wasnt that much of a control freak.

Yeah.. It's a bummer.. But, I'm better now. Never got my GED or anything, but I got a stable job, and live on my own, and have gotten to a reasonable level of fitness that I plan to continue improving.

youtube.com/watch?v=EPAfS8-wm8g
Could this help explain?

Teach people/children to eat healthy and stop letting schools serve utter shit food to kids

Yes, they're set up to live a shitty unhealthy life.

Yes, a kid is a mirror of the parents, it's their fault. Can't really fine them or they would just buy even more shitty junk food. Make them attend mandatroy courses or so.

Got a small story from work yesterday.
>>be me, working, making drinks
>>lady comes in with family, whatevs
>>kid comes to counter where we hand out drinks
>>tries to order but I point him to the register
>>moms ordering, he comes back and tries to order again
>>I make his drink since moms already ordering, tell co worker at reg
>>have a rule were we dont pass out orders until its completely done
>>kid sees his drink and points at it and starts saying "thats my drink. That's my drink. Give me it." So I give it to him
>>family leaves
>>coworker tells me the kids mom ordered a different drink for him because he needs to count his calories
>>I made him the drink he asked for and it has high calories
>>mfw this lil fat obese kid duped me to make his fat ass a fat drink

Shame them for being fat. Hard.

Show some shows about fat kids feeling bad about being fat and being self conscious. Show them not being able to keep up with the other kids and them wanting to change. Then show them making some other changes in their diet like eating less junkfood and going outside to play. Show the parents, who are always the enablers or creators of the situation, being upset or even worried but show them helping out and even getting fit themselves. Kid ends up not skinny as hell but ends up significantly less fat and more active.

Force the school system to reintroduce basic health and pe and to throw out the food pyramid,

Force them to remove the snack machines and have healthy choices in the lunches.

More parks and play grounds safer and larger and well protected. Push a "ghetto workout" kind of atmosphere where kids and adults can workout and get fit on outdoor equipment. Have impromptu games such as touch football, double dutch competitions, frisbee competitions and things like that.

Make exercise into a game, and get them outside and active and doing anything.

Even giving them a handheld game system or a smartphone and putting their ass outside is better then them sitting in the house on the couch snacking. Fresh air and sunshine and them moving around occasionally is good for them.

Unlimited fruit and berries and nuts and veggies as snacks. Almost no junkfoods and the like as snacks and even limit them heavily.

Plant fruit plants and berry bushes around your home so they'll have access to those things easily.

Force them to drink clean water every day instead of liquid sugars and caffeine. If they don't want to drink that much water then give bargain with them. Drink this much water and they can have one soda or juice or something.

Less or no fast food and premade food. If they go a month or two without them the moment the actually get it they'll feel so bad from the chemicals that they'll not want to eat much or any of it.

Playing sports as a kid is so crucial, all of the people I know that are uncoordinated are that way as a result of a parent who didn't get their kid involved

it isnt if you start gymming as an adult desu

I played basketball in elementary school.. And then really wanted to play football in middle school, but parents were too poor to afford equipment.

So I got junk food and video games instead of pads and them using their gas to take me to and from games.

>gym
>improving coordination

i dunno what playing sports has to do with coordination my dude

Let me guess you have a high metabolism?

Obviously.

and i dunno what capitalisation and punctuation are does this make me look like a retard

>kids will also scream and moan until they get their favourite treats
This is true. I have two girls (1 year old and 3 years old). They'll throw tantrums over candy and shit, but you just have to ignore it. You have to learn at a young age that you just can't get everything you want. Plus, if you give in to tantrums, they'll keep throwing more and more tantrums because they've learned that's the key to getting what they want.

Then that stupid ass attitude will follow them for the rest of their lives. That's why you meet adults who throw tantrums when they don't get their way. Blame their parents.

Obesity is over 80 percent heritable and shiws zero impact from shared environment. Parenting has nothing to do with it.

Fat tax. Easy, simple, effective. We can argue good and bad all day but at the end of the day only money will make your average joe take action.

We need the same campaign anti smoking had but for overweight.

Bad idea, I saw more kids start smoking than quitting with that campaign.

Does anyone know why obesity has been rising over the past couple of decades? Is it just food being more readily available or is it a societal issue?

the Jewjet union starved/gassed/tortured/raped/etc 60mio Russians and Ukrainians, lets play literal hunger games with the fatties.
Dubs on my favorite Kike Stalin.

And yet the numbers are way down.
No longer legal in the hospital, airplanes, resteraunts, or college campuses.
It's almost like your anecdotal evidence is useless

>Is it just food being more readily available

Probably this. Possibly some weird microbiological thing.

Meat is a mass product now and is even cheaper than cheese

Back in my days we only had sundays meat

Now you can eat that shit every day

Personally, I do blame elder figures in my life. But their excuse is also ignorance. They didn't know about health or money, how could they teach me about shit they had no concept of? I remember when I was 8 and my mom would defend and tell me it was "babyfat". I wasn't an asshole autistic kid either, my parents wouldn't buy candy or videogames, they would spank me. I was a well-mannered kid overall.

One day at around age 9 or 10 I needed to see a doctor for something, unrelated. But this doctor was, and i'm being objective, a bitch. She was asian, had that stern face with the pout and angry eyebrows and the attitude to match. But she basically bluntly told my mom "user is getting stretchmarks! A 10 year old shouldn't have stretchmarks!!" She probably could have educated me and my mom about health. My mom hated that and she never took me back to that lady.

the calories in everything have gone up (high fructose corn syrup in almost everything) and processed foods with no fiber spiking insulin and promoting fat gain

i had cellulite at 14 years old
felt bad man

I dunno user, memes aside i think most countries have their food fucked up, this happened to me some months ago
>be argie
>glorious meat and potatoes everyday
>go visit usa for a month
>meat looks weird, tastes horrible
>keep my diet anyway
>check my weight and im 4kg heavier
I really dont know what they do with your food pals, same with milk, that tastes like shit over there

lmao dudes cant have cellullitis

are you retarded?

lol can you even call yourself a man? You have shit genetics, men with normal level of testosterone and estrogen shouldnt have cellulite

this guy knows what's up. If you watch the doc feature Fed Up. It shows how screwed up it all is. The parents don't know anything, the kids are already hooked on sugary salty food. And then they show the kid losing weight, but right at the end, they gain the weight back and +30lbs more.

>Fed Up

Really good documentary.

>The parents don't know anything, the kids are already hooked on sugary salty food.

Yeah, there is a multi-billion dollar industry in bed with the government whose sole purpose is to make it very very hard for people to figure out how awful most available food is. Just look at the ubiquity of "low fat" foods, and ignorant normies who buy them and are then baffled because they can't lose weight. And that's just scratching the surface.

Dr. Lustig has been spouting some stupid shit though and as I'm watching it's kinda stupid to say that the moment you drink soda your liver turns it into fat.

But yeah it's the industry, super cheap, unhealthy and addictive foods that are cleverly marketed and the general population that has no idea about nutrition.

I hated gym in high school and it's because of how it was taught. Honestly though I don't know how they could do it any differently. Also I really hated the idea of working up a sweat and then changing back into my clothes and going to math class.

It's the food m8. It's not like gmos and that sort of bullshit it's that everything is loaded with sugar and no one understands portion control.

Who cares what plebeians do?

If the children are smart they'll wise up and clean up their acts by adulthood.

>anime poster
>obese

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT A FUCKING PORTION IS!!

Tell that to the diabetec kids with 250+ lbs. If you grow up fat and think it's normal chances are you'll stay fat your entire (short) life. Little fun story, friend of mine used to be one of the only overweights in my class until like 16 and since then he's went on to be the most sporty guy I know, been below 10% bf for years now. Intrinsic fat shaming is the best.

By then the damage will have been done and be mostly irreversible.
Going through child hood and adolescense as an obese unmoving lard ass just destroys your life.

I know the feeling. Got my licenses at 16 and my mom never let me drive. Wasn't until 19 I actually got some freedom...

I'm down

I'm working on it okay

b8

No, kids don't eat anything put in front of them. If they don't have a choice but to eat what's served, then sure. They can't be picky as shit. But many children do not eat when not hungry. Only one kid I've ever fed has been able to just eat overly much. Every single other one has listened to it's satiation and just stopped when full, no matter the amount of leftover food. You can't think children actually don't have that ability. That's retarded.

Corn subsidies and literally nothing else. The US exports a good portion of the world's food, and most of that in North and South America. All of the sugar and starches produced by corn-based foods fuels it, and monetary subsidies makes the heavy use of HFCS in cheap foods inevitable.

Then why is child obesity such a huge problem? It extends well beyond poor families who maybe do just have bad food choices at home. Can I ask what your experience is? Because if you get already healthy children and give them mainly healthy choices it's obvious it will work. Now add chocolate, fried chicken and processed carbs and it will likely look worse. Now double that, limit the healthy choices and you're where the western world is right now. Satiety is exactly what companies don't want.

Processed food is the problem.
Kids get stuffed with that shit, its everywhere. And when they are finished eating they get flooded by marketing and propaganda from McDicks, CocaCola and whatever the fuck.

They get addicted to the sugar and used to the artificial flavor, and then its too late. They won't eat healthy food anymore if they have the option.

Punish the fuckin parents.

Its bad parenting. Making yourself fat is self destructive behavior.

When I hear my grandparents talk about the old days, they tell me fat people were rare. Now a days its the fucking standard.

General ignorance and terrible food is the culprit.

Parents can't do a good job being parents if they are ignorant and beaten down from their jobs and life in general.

Yes they can, its fucking simple.

>Dont buy shit food from day one.
>Put kid on sport from day one.

There you go, done.

You can, your friends probably can but 80% still can't. You're ignorant to the ignorants.

I weighed 400lbs by the time I was in high school.
I thought I was doomed.

Then I moved out and realized how shit my parents were.

Now I'm not fat, but my testosterone was smothered during prime years, dick growth is below average for what genetics dictate, and I've got loose skin everywhere.

So yeah, raising your kid fat is Child abuse.

Forgot to even mention the hormone wreck. Bipolar should just be assumed when dealing with teenage fat fucks.

Speaking as a non-ignorant, Veeky Forums father of 3 young kids, it is not that easy.

>Dont buy shit food from day one.

We do this - and we have total control over what our kids eat right now. However, as soon as my eldest is in 1st grade, he will be taking Veeky Forums-approved lunches to school, but in principle his friends could give him fries/fried turkey/pizza from the cafeteria.

And I am lucky that I make enough money that my wife can stay home and prepare meals for our kids. Even then it's very hard as she has to deal with the constant demands of a 1 year old and a 3yo. Even in my situation we have to plan meticulously and apply strict self-discipline to make this work. I can't imagine how people do it when both parents have to work.

Why the fuck am i ignorant?

Why is it so difficult to have basic discipline?

tfw that adult is me

Listen I get that raising kids is hard. (My parents fucked up)

Buuuttttt, if you start at a young age with teaching your kids about eating healthy and exercising, they will keep to it.

Ofcourse they will get the occasional BigMac or Pizza. Which they should experience because its part of life. But overall they will eat healthy.

You're also an AMAZING parent because you are getting your kids into the fit life. Its one of the best things you can do for your kids.

Listen to this man, give your kids the best chance they can in the long run, they may hate you in the short run but as time goes on, though they may never say it, they will be thankful of you

Yeah that's true. I think it may come down to what the children got used to eating since being toddlers. The parents I work with are decently well off ones. Not rich, but not super poor either. Dunno if that has anything to do with it, but they do care what their children eat and would never feed them chocolate or anything like that when they're like one or two years old. The children's future behavior regarding foods may have been different if they had. I don't think I've worked with anyone who has let their children eat junk food regularly, but I've seen it on trains and stuff. I'm just a babysitter/nanny by the way.
And as far as I've read, children are a lot less likely to be able to tell what's 'too sweet', compared with adults. Don't know how reliable it is (haven't read it), but I remember an experiment comparing how willing young children were to eat a snack even when full, versus turning it down. Some kept reaching for the plate. Others were completely uninterested. So it may be partially hereditary. Not the fatty retention, but the likelihood of someone overeating. Combine those traits of a child and give it whatever caloric foods that are nice, and they might just keep going with those habits when older, and might find it harder to turn down food since they only associate it with pleasure while not having a goal of feeling full.
I blame the parents in the kids early ages. Even a fat sixteen year old has their parents to blame for their past, if they were fat then, and for making it harder for them to reach a healthy weight currently.

Yeah genetics always play a role, whether it's lifting or eating. Now when you think that for example breastfeeding has been overly shunned and the replacement "milk" and purees are often already really high in sugar it's no wonder the kids are prone to craving sweets and junk food as they grow up. Once hooked they're lost without major parental intervention. I used to think oranges were sour as a teen. By the way good job setting your kids up to be healthy in their lives, it's really important.

I work with kids. There's twin girls who are in 3rd grade and both are pretty fat. They are active but they stuff their faces with candy, frappucinos etc all day and will literally eat anything. Probably because their dumbass mom treats them like shit and has poisoned their minds. Also they both steal and lie compulsively. Fuck shitty ass parents for plaguing the world with these badly raised kids, it's obvious which ones will grow up into criminals and sycophants.

people are people, no one is perfect. Involving the law in parents who let their children eat too much junk food is a step too far for the law.

We should shame them, we should teach children about health and nutrition. That's it really.

If you consider this abuse, then the parent who doesn't realize his kid is going out most nights to break windows is also abuse. It's negligent, sure. But it's not a legal issue. It's a social one.