Following SS from the Sticky, now it is time to add Power Cleans. I have two questions

Following SS from the Sticky, now it is time to add Power Cleans. I have two questions
1. Do I do them on both day A and B
2. How do I calculate how much I PowerClean?

Other urls found in this thread:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.com.br/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You don't need to do power cleans

just do stronglifts 3x5, powercleans are autistic

Sub/alternate them with rows.

Power cleans are fun don't listen to haters.

DON'T DO POWER CLEANS OP

POWER CLEANS CAUSE MY ANUS TO PROLAPSE

crossfit is 'fun' too

start cleans at bench press - 30lbs

Do I do them alongside deadlifts and benchpress? Should I look into stronglifts instead? The modified SS in the sticky calls for 3x5 Powercleans, although I probably will screw them up that is what the program calls for. If I don't do power cleans what do I do instead?

I believe my bench is 120 right now

Here's the sticky modified SS:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.com.br/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html

It answers all your questions. READ.

yeah idk why there's this bullshit on the sticky but SS by the book is pretty simple.

stage 1: learning the basic lifts, everything 3x5 unless marked
A: squat, press, dead (1x5)
B: squat, bench, dead (1x5)
do this stage ONLY until deadlift form is good and deadlift is well ahead of squat, so obviously you're not adding only 5lbs you're adding more as you're comfortable with the lift

stage 2: introducing the power clean
B: squat, bench, power clean (5x3)
learn the clean WITH THE BAR ALONE until it looks smooth. damn the book is pirated all over the place, read the thing. after it looks good with the bar, start adding weight.

stage3: adding additional exercises
B: squat, bench, back extensions (3x10), pullups (3xFailure)
C: squat, press, power clean (5x3)
D: squat, bench, glute-ham raise (3x10), chinups (3xFailure)
run this until you start to stall on various lifts. how to correct this in the next post

Sad you are right

stage 4: progressions that change when you start to stall
squat - move it from 3x5 ever session, to 1x5 adding weight and 2x5 at 90% of the first set on mon and fri, and wed do 2x5 at 70% of monday's weight
power clean - move it from 5x3 to 4x2
press and bench - move them from 3x5 to 3x3
deadlift - move it from 1x5 to 1x3
chins and pullups - when you can 10+ reps, start doing every other session of these with weight added and target 3x5-7

Note: ideally you never fail a rep of SS. You switch progressions when you have confidence that you can't make the target on the next workout

This is actually a bretty gud program. You got light squats once a week after your squat is built up, you're only deadlifting once a week at the most and every once in a while have a week off from deadlifting, and you have an upper-body pull every other session.

You wanna add some shit, add dips on the press day, after pulling, work them the same way as chins. You can even alternate chest dips and triceps dips on different workouts. Put some other arm stuff on that day if you're the kind of faggot that needs biceps, then you'll have 5 lifts each workout and pretty even workout times.

if you're going to power clean, dont bother trying to calculate how much you can do. slowly work your way up, just like any other exercise. and i dont mean:
3X5 SQUATS +5LBS EACH DAY 3 TIMES A WEEK

I mean practice them for a while and figure out how much you can handle. A lot of it's technique.

I have trouble squatting and deadlifting on same day. I have dropped the middle session of squats and made it my permanent dead lift day. I power clean the other two days. What ya think. Gonna do this for another month till I start to bulk?

So what you're doing is
> Monday 1: Squat, Press, Clean
> Wednesday 1: Bench, Deadlift
> Friday 1: Squat, Press, Clean
> Monday 2: Squat, Bench, Clean
> Wednesday 2: Press, Deadlift
> Friday 2: Squat, Bench, Clean
Plus other shit. Are you doing the pullups/chinups, the back extensions, the glute-ham raises?

Yeah that's a good setup for the main lifts desu. I've often thought it would be better to either not squat or do a light squat or maybe even a front squat on deadlift day

Here's something else you can try. This is something powerlifting that you can bulk on.
> Mondays and Fridays: Squat, Bench, Clean. Put your skullcrushers and barbell curls here.
> Wednesdays: Deadlift, Press, plus 2-3 accessories, good day for chins and dips, if you need calves do them here to finish up.
Rotate your weeks for squats and presses once you're done with 3x5. Do a week of 3x5, then 3x8, then 3x3, then 3x10. Deads the same way but only the 1 set. Power Cleans do something like 5x3, 5x2, 3x3, 5x5. Just track every rep scheme differently.

Hmm yes that's what I do and I usually will either do 1x5 heavy squat or do some drop set diddlies to make up for just 1x5. Try to add a little more diddly volume on that day. And I do like this other routine will screen shot for future use. Yea I do chins and pull ups and incline on bench days and some rack pulls occasionally. Sometimes I feel like curling. Usually last day before the two off days. Skull crushers hurt my elbow so I either do lying extensions or my favo is overhead extension with one heavy dumbell

>drop set diddlies
jesus, that's some mental strength, dude. Deadlifts make me completely exhausted. I go for a heavy 1x5 so I can do it at once, couldn't bear to think what it's like to go drop set at it

If you find that suggested routine gets to be too much squatting or benching, make friday front squats and close grip bench for the two main lifts, and maybe make one of the power cleans into a power snatch. The big lifts will be plenty of work with those rotating reps but still be only 45 min or so with plenty of time for you to add isolation on your bulk or some upper-body specialization.

>deadlifting more than once every 9 days on Stage 3 SS

come on guys...

power cleans are fun as shit. don't drop them.