Who/what motivated you to change your life for the better?

who/what motivated you to change your life for the better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EKR-HydGohQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fHYVeuHoE
youtube.com/watch?v=rf9MIJTDSDo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

5% GODDAMNIT

Car accident when I was 18.
My girlfriend died.
My best friend died.
The dumbshit driver became a literal retard from a brain injury.
I spent a month in a coma and my body was just exploding with broken bones.

After a few years of survivor's remorse I decided that I wasn't going to drink myself to death and instead I would live out my life the way my girlfriend and the best friend I've ever had would want me to live.

The more I think about life in general, the less purpose I see in it. But I'm alive and they're dead. So I should try to make it count, whatever that means?

>Get cancer
>Go on keto diet because of the research linked to starving cancer cells
>remission
>Lost like 55lbs because of the keto, wasn't even trying to
>See changes in body and get motivated to lift
>Hit 1/2/3/4, 2 years after being diagnosed

Got to take a little bad to get some good I guess

I realized my waifu would look at my body and be ashamed of me. I lost 70 lbs in a few months after that in true Auschwitz mode.

The grind to ottermode is really killing me, I eat 1500 calories a day and currently swimming 7 days a week for the past 3 months(holiday gym closures are the only breaks I get). Hell I even gave up like 95% of my booze intake which was a lot harder than it sounds.

Also I started liking things I could do now that I weight 160, running is actually enjoyable and I can do pull ups like they're nothing.

the...better?

before fit:
>constantly going out with friends
>going out all the time means tons of walking
>also having sex regularly
>in spite of my rampant alcoholism, pot smoking and casual coke, ex and mushroom use, I'm extemely healthy and active

after fit:
>literally lay around all day every day recovering from lifting
>have to eat constantly and go to bed early or get rekt from lifting
>no going anywhere or doing anything anymore because drugs are bad mkay
>pretty much sedentary all the time outside of 3 hrs/week lifting

lifting has only greater fueled my inferiority complex by helping my develop severe body dysmorphia on top of my feelings of inadequacy

at least now i can forgot about it for 4 hours out of the week and pretend that one day i'll make it, right?

Me.

That's some rough shit man

My reason is far more trivial. I wanted to be a pro wrestler. So I went on Veeky Forums about 5 years ago. I used to browse /v/ so I thought this board would be an easier entry point to fitness, read the sticky amd life was never the same.

Friend told me I'll never get in good shape if my only motivation is to "look pretty". So I started a sport - jiu jitsu - and my motivation changed to "stop getting fucking tired, then getting your arm ripped off". That's what got me off the hamburgers.

Down 35lbs (180 to 145). Feels good.

Gotta find a balance man. What you're doing now isn't health.

Stop going to failure and train your whole body twice or three times a week, doing only compounds with 2-3 sets per bodypart.

Do this for a couple weeks then keep at it or change your own programming so you're not rekt all the time

How big of a pussy can you be

If I'm a pussy you're a gaping vagina just saying.

Thank you for proving my point

youre lying! youre just training to become a ninja so you can infiltrate the care facility of the dumbshit brain tomato and beat him up with a steering wheel!

Not a fucking jew that's for sure.

>Drop the keys to the front door
>go down to pick them up
>Kick my own gut in with my knee
>TheFuckMan.jpg
>Decide that humanity is for losers

If you lift monday, wednesday and friday you're recovering pretty much all the time. If you lift less your gains will be shit. If you don't sleep and eat proper your recovery and gains will be shittier.

one hard objective look in the mirror.

>fat
>255 pounds
>poor
>weak

I somehow managed to suppress my delusions that made me feel like I was doing fine.

I then came across this video
youtu.be/EKR-HydGohQ

that guy you posted and japanese cuties

youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fHYVeuHoE

Pretty sure that if I keep drinking and smoking the way I do, my heart is going to give out in ~5 years

have bought this guy's "future authoring" but am afraid to od it

sounds good to me desu

damn you should follow his twitter, he gave it to Veeky Forums for free two weeks ago

The fact that you can get chicks if you're crippled, or if you're fat.

Not Both.

bought this shit, it's fine. you should take the time out of your life to really write for an hour or two.

Snapchatted with a complete 8/10 babe I met through a video game (it happened, trust me).

Didn't send anything back, but kept gettin sexy pics of her in various stages of undress and watching her do things, obviously having fun together. Start doing this often.

She wants to meet, doesn't live TOO far away. Said looks didn't matter. I believed her, she seemed excited.

Finally meet, she's in town to see some family who was an hours drive away. She doesn't seem to want to engage in conversation, or make eye contact or anything.

Leaves abruptly in the middle of chillin over some coffee at a local coffee shop I know.

Never hear back from her, she took me off friends list over game we met on, off of social media, etc.

I'm pretty sure I did something spergy, but I also figure it might have been the way I look. So after a bit of depression I thought fuck it. Started getting in shape.

So sorry to hear that user. I've experienced loss too, and it's difficult to overcome. I am glad you have found a way to though, and that you've found the silver lining.

You will make it, I know you will. For them

wow women really are terrible. She was obviously a whore anyway, no loss.

Shit, this fucked me up

>fat as fuck
>started having painful back spasms
>former bodybuilding uncle wants to get back into lifting
>started lifting with uncle
>changed diet to increase gains
>lost 80lbs and have a pretty good physique
>no more back spasms
>lifting becomes a major hobby

heartbreak

some of them are, just like some men are terrible you twat. just like you

you are one of the terrible men, know why? because you have a narrow view of women and life, you dont know shit and assume you know everything

arrogant twat.

fucking hell... it was around that time I bought it. And then I felt bad for missing the Joe Rogan's promo. Oh well

its ironic that to that guy he probably will have his fear of impermanence pass off over the course of two days to a month

I like to eat a lot but I don't want to get fat.
So now I lift and am on pretty much permanent bulk but not chubby and more bear mode so I'm okay with this.

if you're ugly, shame on her, but if you're fat, shame on you
you can't blame her for not wanting to be with someone who didn't take care of himself

boredom

after being on Veeky Forums/building pc's since I was 12 and dropping out of college at 22, at the age of 24 I had a 6 month extended period of unemployment + alot of savings where I basically went full hermit and played csgo for 10 hours a day, ate all the junk food I wanted, fapped 5-7 times a day, smoked too much weed every day, fucked hookers three times a week (still clean thank you god), got massages every other day, slept 12 hours a day, and basically just went full hedonism. I maxed it out and then some. I got to a point where I sucked the joy out of everything, I squeezed it dry.

realized it was fulfilling at all, and one day it just kind of clicked. Sold the bong, sold the computer, stopped eating like shit, started punishing myself by running. It was a long road...

another 8 months later I'm 25 and on my way to making it, down 30 lbs (I know not that much but its a start, my diet still isn't that great but its leaps and bounds better) and I'm running 6-8 miles a day.

still gotta get my degree tho and stop browsing this fucking site

I was really ugly as a kid and thought if I got into shape I'd magically become hot.
Turns out I'm still ugly, but at least I can benchpress lmao3plate

DIO showed me the light, i only live to leave humanity behind now

I thought my motivation was sad but then saw that second post, damn.

Last year my mother got diagnosed with cancer for the second time. I was completely distraught. I have almost no friends, only on the internet basically, the few RL friends I have made themselves fucking scarce.

One of my only friends online decided it'd be nice to give me the cold shoulder and ignore me when I was trying to tell him about how upset I was, because he was the only person I could talk to about it. I snapped and realized I had to take control of my life, and for the first time in 24 years decided that I needed to diet to fix my fucked up 300lb body.

At 220lbs now and mother's cancer is in remission, though she has to have one of her breasts removed. Also started lifting last December. I'm pretty sure my online friends just think my fitness is a joke but they're all fatasses. That one smart ass "friend" is apparently 280lbs now when he used to be Veeky Forums. Serves that fag right.

Funny lmao.

Now on some real shit i just wanna get yuuge for teh slootz

FUck this is epic

I watched that video, I expected some big feels but it's just a pretentious atheist talking about rocks and shit. The faggot doesn't have anything profound to say and the comments are full of like-minded cunts who think that this drivel is meaningful.

So basically, life has no meaning, therefore do whatever you want xD

Wow that's deep man, that's so deep...

My nigga.

Are jojo characters natty?

pic related

>a female, shouldnt be allowed to pick a male partner based on looks

You guys a retarded, she did nothing wrong and also inspired him to improve so therefor it's a win, while also giving this guy a dose of reality

she said she doesn't care about looks, but I guess if there's no spark at all it doesn't make any sense to lead someone on

my ex dumping me made me realize i had gotten fat now doctor j is helping me further explore the jungian belief system that comics instilled in me from a young age

Punching my mother in the head.

Of course she does, everyone does. So she broke this guys delusion in believing in such nonsense, and gave him that dose of reality.

Realised I'm nearly 30 and this isn't who I wanted to be.

Dio stole those gains

I was disowned which really fucked me up and I wanted to kill my self everyday.
Eventually my friend told me to come to the gym with him and I used fit to help me in my journey to jacked as fuck

I woke up one day, and was so completely disgusted with who I was, and became consumed with the idea of fighting for an ideal body every day

Quitting booze is rough, I haven't drank in almost half a year now but I still have those days were I really want to take the edge off. I don't give in because I don't want to feel like shit and break my fast. Currently doing IF 18 and 6.

Observing the people that I work with, the majority of whom are fat, disgusting, ugly, and live miserable lives with fat, disgusting, ugly wives.....and loud retarded children.

I've always been in shape, but noticed myself slipping a bit. Put a stop to that because I don't want to end up like my peers, also have zero desire to ever have kids......seems like a nightmare.

Peterson back in 2011

but I saw a post earlier that said keto gives you cancer, why are you lying

Obvious choice is because I think I looked (still do look) like shit and I want to look better and impress my friends and myself.

Unfortunately my unwavering motivation does not carry over into my studies at all so maybe I'll have to kms myself anyway

i am a fairly ambitious person with a fuckton of pride, i want to make sure that that pride is worth something instead of being a stupid delusion of grandeur, i want to be proud of myself.
so i stopped being a lazy, introverted fatass and worked hard to change, now i'm extraverted and i'm starting to be more hard working and getting in shape.
also i find fat people who are unwilling to do anything about it absolutely disgusting.
so i'm pretty much getting motivated by pride.

wow, story? i dont want to put you down by saying this but i truly think id kill myself if i ever raised a fist against my mother

When I got to college, I had a lot more freedom. I figured "okay, I'm going to be healthy." So for a couple months, I ate "healthy" stuff like granola bars, natural peanut butter, whole grains, and had a cheat meal every week or so because that's what healthy people do, right? I'm not saying these things can't be great, but when you're eating them all the time without a plan, you're going to get chubby.
I finally admitted to myself somewhere in early November that I was fucking around, and had to stop running every day and introducing more lifting instead (though I still run), had to get a grasp on how many calories I should eat, and generally just get shit on track.
The results have been pretty awesome. I went from probably 185 to 165, and I plan on putting on some real muscle once over the semester.

I realized that love does not exist, and that everything can be achieved by good looking and stable career

A thread on /mlp/ talking about user getting Veeky Forums and ponies wanting to be his friend.

Thread is still there if you want to look.

>literally lay around all day every day recovering from lifting
>have to eat constantly and go to bed early or get rekt from lifting
>3 hrs/week lifting
i hope for your sake this is a joke

>what motivated you to change your life
The realisation that I had to do something came over me as the sun came up at 6am on a Tuesday morning a few months ago and i was still up, a crate of beer and a bottle of whisky deep surrounded by cans and empty crisp packets. Nothing unusual there, I used to do that quite often. However this time, I realised that I wasn't doing it because it was fun, I didn't even feel drunk, and I was doing it out of habit. Sure my motor function was pretty fucked, but my head felt clear and I thought what the fuck am I doing.

Slept it off, and took a long hard look in the mirror. I have everything going for me in the sense that my parents are loving and supportive, no health issues (yet), financially I am fine, and I have friends I could call on that I was pushing further and further away. I was getting fat, and my alcohol tolerance was through the roof, and this was the point where I could either shut all that out and go further down the rabbit hole, or I could get out and actually make something of myself. Spent all that day reading the sticky, going through all my cupboards and throwing out all the junk food, ordering a massive online grocery shop, joined a gym, and cleaned my flat. Even cut my hair and had a shave. The day after, I started going to the gym and tracking my diet, now a few months later I am healthier than I have ever been and feel really good.

Sorry for the blog post, figured a few people might be in a similar position to how I was and could use the kick up the arse before it is too late

Memes aside, Zyzz is the reason behind my short term goal.
I want get aesthetic enough in 2 years, when I'll be 21, to go Coachella, muzz like a sick cunt, and bang sloots.

Good job user.

>pretty much sedentary all the time outside of 3 hrs/week lifting

Faggot, one workout is 3 hours, 4 if I go running. Your endurance is shit and your cardio is shit.
Man the fuck up mister "getting rekt fomr lifting 3 hours a week".
You're being a bitch.

My ex

Severe clinical depression and the realisation that I was a skinny fat weakling at 25 when this should be my physical fitness peak.

i hope someday you lrn2rd

english must not be your first language.
>3 people laughing at 3hr/w lifting
>(you) thinking who the fuck knows what.
If you're the author, you might wanna ramp up the speed of that there backpedal, faggot.

B A S E D P E T E R S O N

Oneitis

I hated the people who were as pathetic as I was becoming and so I did a 180 and started lifting, reading and meditating. I'm still a depressed fuck, but it's getting easier to control. Also want to be the alpha and revered in social circumstances.

>be me
>330+ lbs ( I don't even know)
>Bad car accident on the highway
>Physical Therapy for 6 months
>Back exercises, hip exercises, gain a tiny bit of muscle stability
>Near end of physical therapy browsing pol, whining about being fat
>Some dude on pol tells me to try IF
>Start watching every video on youtube about IF
>Had a "click" moment driving home from work
>Told my wife "We are fasters now"
>She trys it with me for my sake
>First few days suck doing 16:8
>Gets better

That was in like the 2nd week of Feb. I'm currently 290, eating at a pretty big deficit while also doing IF, lifting 3 days a week and cardio 2 days a week. I'll die before I quit. I'm gonna make it.

My brother.

He was a fatfuck and was made fun of as a kid and he started weightlifting and I kind of followed. It was pretty Rocky tier shit we would just pick up rocks and throw them around and shit till we were old enough to get into a real gym lol. Now hes shredded but I'm a couple years behind him so I still have a far road to go.

Congrats bro. Is the wifey keeping up with you?

>my best friend has been diabetic since I've known her
>realized I was a fat piece of shit and I could be next

Not the most dramatic reason, but oh well. I'm hoping to make it for her.

She even said that she was inspired by me to start heading to the gym herself.

Thanks man. She started doing cardio before I got us on the fasting kick but we were still eating like shit, even though she did lose some weight.

Now, she is like my fasting queen. She's lifting with me, doing all our meal prep, and when she makes dinner she weighs everything so I can put it into MFP. If it wasn't for us doing this together I'd be so fucked. She's down 50LBs so far, pretty amazing desu. She's even started lifting with me, only problem is we have a home gym, so it's difficult for us to work in with each other because I'm constantly having to change how much weight is on the bar for her. Still tho, I don't bitch, because she sits there and watches me lift and it gets her horny, which is a huge plus.

>be 135 kg
>drinking 2 sodi pops a day
>suddenly heart starts racing one night when drinking
>stand up from computer lay down on bed
>instantly quit sodi pops and start slowly losing weight

Was probably pre diabetic, luckily it didn't evolve furthe. Now 3 years later I'm 80 kg and getting closer day by day to making it.

I decided what I want career wise over my entire life and and really thought deeply about how I would feel if I didn't achieve what I need to - it would be my version of hell.
It's a hard career too, sports, so I've really got no other option than to work insanely hard.
And good to see JP, I really like the philosophy he talks about

>at least now i can forgot about it for 4 hours out of the week and pretend that one day i'll make it, right?
When you think about it, isn't possibility what makes life worth living? If you look at almost everyone's lives from a playback perspective, they're trapped in a extremely small part of the great big wonderful world. Even if they travel all over it, their life is like an extremely small tunnel with fake backdrops to give the illusion of depth. Nobody can do everything, but just the possibility being there makes the whole thing so much better.

good job lads, keep it up, we're gonna make it

as for me, (thankfully) I've never been in a "look at yourself in the mirror" position, I just leech motivation off of everyday things and people.

Also was lucky enough to get a taste of success (at least in the classic sense, academically) at a young age, so now I don't really want to settle for mediocrity

protip: surround yourself with motivated and hard-working people as much as possible, honestly the sheer effect this can have on your life is insane

Working out three times per week, full body, takes about 1 hour or so per workout. Working out more with bitch weight makes you look like an idiot.

Your best friend was most likely fucking your girlfriend.

>not going to failure every set

Sorry but this is impossible for me psychologically. I cannot handle not being confident that I'm pushing myself as far as I can go. Shoutouts to family history of chronic depreshun.

I was preparing a session for dnd and had to look up the weight of ogres because a combat encounter for the players would be happening in an old tower with rotten wooden floors. I realized I was 3 kg fatter than an average ogre. After that I decided I had to lose weight because this shit obviously spiraled out of control

>Recently diagnosed to have pre-diabetes in March
>started doing cardio every day and just started lifting again.
>Started eating oatmeal for breakfast, Two slices of True Story brand "All Natural Oven Roasted Turkey Breast" on Ezekiel whole grain bread, and whatever my mom makes for dinner since she's a health nut.
>started drinking this veggie juice that my mom makes based on this: youtube.com/watch?v=rf9MIJTDSDo
>6'0" at 229 pounds when I found out.
>Currently at 200 as of this post.

I'm feeling good, but still wary. I'm wondering if losing almost 30 pounds in the span of a month and a half is cause for concern.

Holy shit. Good job for getting on it.

1. It's pretty aggressive weight loss. Are you tracking calories? If not, you need to be.

Have you seen any of Jason Fung's youtube videos? The dude has basically cured the beetus with intermittent fasting.

>I realized I was 3kg fatter than an average ogre
>Adult ogres stand 9 to 10 feet tall and weigh 600 to 650 pounds

holy fucking kek

6'1" formerly 201lb in late Feb now 185lb.

First off congrats dude. It all depends, are you getting stronger with your workout regimen? If so then all you need to worry about is getting your proper vitamins etc. and keeping with your plan to where your body has time to adapt to your new lifestyle. The last thing you want is a rebound, so maybe switch to a more sustainable model where you may be losing a tad less weight but you'll still not hate life.

Anybody have any jordan peterson recs? I'm curious why some guys here love him so

been fat my whole life. i recently decided to lose fat and for me it was basically health. im genetically fucked because my entirely family line has diabetes/hypertension/fat, so i decided i needed to take control as much as i can and lose fat/keep diet in check. also im hoping when i'm thinner i can get confident and meet more chicks. but its mostly health.

it took a while for me to meaningfully understand calorie counting/healthy eating. just needed to plan and be systematic (if in doubt, just have greek yogurt/banana/coffee

oh fuck the edition of dnd is important in this story. Third edition ogres weigh 300 to 350 pounds.Ogre mages weigh around 600. I had 335 pounds when I started working out. Damn, I didn't know they changed their weight in the newer editions

>Are you tracking calories? If not, you need to be.
I'm not.
I don't even know where to start.

I'm gonna provide some context. I was lifting last year and this year, but still ate junk food.
As soon as I was diagnosed and did cardio every day and temporarily abandoned lifting.
I just started lifting again this week and damn it felt great again. I have been taking B12 supplements every day and also eating fruits after lunch but before dinner (mostly choosing between a pear, an apple, or a kiwi).

meant to say "as soon as I was diagnosed, I did cardio and.."