Calories vs Carbs

I don't post much on Veeky Forums and I am new to working out.

I have been reading a lot about diet and I can't figure what the hell to believe. There is so many opinions out there.

So I am asking the brain bank of Veeky Forums.

For weight loss is it just a matter of calories in verses calories out, or is it maintaining your carbs below a certain level? Does fat content really matter?

I'm trying to lose about 60 pounds.

Second question is what do you all think of rowing machines? Are they as good as some sites say? I saw an article that said you can burn almost as many calories as running for the same amount of time if your rowing right. Is that true?

Other urls found in this thread:

ss.fitness.
who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRI-Tables/3_RDA AI AMDR Values_Total Water and Macronutr.pdf?la=en
hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lower both

Calories are fine to roughly measure weight loss rate, reducing simple carbs will help your appetite immensely

You can cut for 5 months of absolute hell; cravings, binges, lethargy, or cut and be satisfied with what you eat. Calories in vs out is the very basis of it, the question is would you rather drive or walk a mile, one is more efficient than the other

fuck, just eat the things in the picture you uploaded except for the potatoes

If your trying to lose weight, the first step is to avoid foods with added sugars. Look at the ingredients list and if it says "sugar" (or any of the other names they use, look those up) don't buy it. 99% percent of your should be home cooked and not packaged anyway.

Keto is good for losing weight but I don't recommend it in the long run.

And don't forget to stick to complex carbs instead of simple carbs (look this up).

For calories try to stay in the ballpark of 500 calories deficit, but don't worry if you go slightly over, as a solid lifting program should correct it.

Try to lose about 1.5-2 pounds a week, or 6-8 pounds a month. Of you aren't reaching these goals then you must reevaluate your diet.

>500 deficit a day
>lose 1.5-2 pounds a week
are you unfamiliar with the concept of multiplication?

OP here: thanks for the info all.

What do you all think of rowing machines? I don't want to spend the money if they're not worth it.

Go to ss.fitness. it's the best and simplest guide.

My favorite cardio is HIIT on exercise bike

If most of your calories come from carbs (typically they are), then cutting/limiting carbs makes sense.

>For weight loss is it just a matter of calories in verses calories out

yes

/thread

eat lots of vegetables - low in calories, high in vitamins and minerals, high in fiber

You want to keep your digestive track going. Nothing is worse than dieting while constipated. You don't need to do keto, it's something for experienced professionals. You'll need supplements and have to weigh your food to make sure you're not going over your carb limit. Keto works but it is not noob friendly.

Stay away from any instant food, canned food, pre-processed food and restaurant food. Any fresh vegetable is good. Buy a high quality extra virgin olive oil and make your own salad dressings. Eat lean meats and fish. Eat small portions. Drink a lot of water, no sodas or any sweetened drink.

You'll get everything you need, loose weight and there's no risk of fucking up your body by not getting enough vitamins or minerals.

60% vegetables
30% lean meat and fish
10% healthy fats

Eat like this and you won't feel hungry and lose weight. The low calorie density of vegetables makes it impossible to eat too many calories unless to seriously overeat to the point of stomach ache. Just eat some vegetables every time you get hungry. Raw or steamed (if they can't be eaten raw) is the best, baking is fine too. Beware of cooking and overcooking. If you do cook, save the cooking water and make soup from it. Easiest diet ever.

Gyms tend to have them. No need to buy.

>Stay away from canned food
Even tuna?

Pretty much this. Also eat fruits whenever you want and prepare your vegetables with some form of meat/fish/starch or it won't be filling.

If you eat healthy and avoid shit food you will lose weight steadily. Huge deficit diets are stupid and only for people who need to get in shape for a specific event.

Not him but tuna is fine, just make sure you don't eat too much because it's really salty. Canned food like beans, peas, coconut oil etc. are fine. Oh and always read the labels, for every single item you buy.

The ultimate and only guide to setting up a diet for weight loss

1. Find your maintenance
2. Subtract 500 - 1,000 kcal per day
3. Figure out how much lean mass you have
4. Eat at least 1.2 g/lb of lean mass in protein
5. Eat 20-30% of your daily calories from fat
6. Whatever is left is carbs

Adjust as needed

I should have said "the only guide you will need." There are other ways of doing it but you probably shouldn't fuck with them until you've gotten some results and can stick with a diet, low carb or cyclical carb diets take a lot more effort and will power.

Some canned foods are okay but it's easier to just stay away. They often have added sugar or salt. Absolutely avoid canned fruit though, you might as well eat sugar by the spoonful. Canned tuna is either brined or emerged in oil. Brine is salt water and the oils used for canned tuna are cheap and low quality. Always pick the brined tuna.

Fruits are fine in moderation but it's easy to get a sugar rush and crash when you eat too many. They are not something you can eat until you are full without worrying about it. You won't have that problem with cucumbers or celery stalks but it can easily happen with bananas which are loaded with sugar. Fruit in general are overrated for health, bell peppers have twice as much vitamin C as oranges at a fraction of the caloric cost from sugar.

Thanks

Kinda harsh on fruits don't you think. It's something we've always eaten and every single piece of science shows how beneficial they are. Great source of vitamins, fiber and many other nutrients while the sugar doesn't spike insulin and even in huge doses it's been found to be at least harmless. (Assuming you're not binge eating on dried plums and raisins).

500x7=3500. 3600kcal=1lb of fat.
For every 1oz of fat you lose, you can lose up to 3oz of water. 1.5lbs a week at -500kcal deficit is accurate. Especially if you're just starting to diet. Water weight loss will eventually slow down. So if you aren't seeing at least 1lb lost a week, adjust your diet accordingly.

My maintenance is 2000. Is 1500 too drastic if I'm also lifting and doing cardio? I always assumed exercise doesn't burn enough calories to bother factoring it in.

Probably, try it out and see if you feel tired/weak and crave food.

Nope, not at all harsh. I held back actually. Fruits the way we eat them nowadays are far from natural by the way. They've been bred for higher sugar content, none of our staple fruits are natural. Aside from that, something being natural doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy to eat. Naturalistic fallacy and all that. Bottom line, It's easy to overeat on most fruit because aside from sour apples, they are packed with sugar.

>Great source of vitamins, fiber and many other nutrients
All these are things that vegetables do much better without the massive amounts of sugar.

Fruits aren't food. They are more like candy with vitamins.

You really shouldn't be giving advice. I mean it's clear that you've been brainwashed by momscience and YouTube videos. Keep it to yourself, will ya?

Depends on how much you do. You're underestimating how much daily cardio and lifting takes out of you. It's better to start of doing less and increase gradually. If you try to do too much to soon, you'll either quit or injure yourself. You're over eager, slow down a bit.

>Fruits aren't food. They are more like candy with vitamins.
I could agree with most things you said so far but this is just bullshit. Comparing fruits with actual candy, nonsense. I'm pretty certain the biggest study on death factors to ever be conducted listed underconsumption of fruits as the number one cause of deaths. As I said literally every study ever has shown that fruits are good and that there isn't even an upper limit. Literally every diet says fruits are good, literally every nutritionist/doctor says they're good. It's not even a consensus at this point, it's just the truth.

How can you even make such a comparison? "Hey those plants that have always been essential to good health are like shitty candy with some vitamins fortified in". Do tell where you got that from, it can't be science.

>momsciene
Did mommy forbid you to stuff your face with candy when you were little? Shut the fuck up you sugar junkie.

>eating loads of sugar daily is healthy as long as it comes from fruits
Yeah, whatever buddy.

It's just normal fat earther dogma.

>I'm pretty certain the biggest study on death factors to ever be conducted listed underconsumption of fruits as the number one cause of deaths
>muh studies
Alright buddy, why don't you cite that study.

>literally every study ever has shown that fruits are good and that there isn't even an upper limit.
Oh come on, go easy with the horseshit.

First order read the sticky.

Find maintenance and subtract 500 calories.

If you want to retain muscle while cutting you need to eat about 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of body weight opinions vary greatly but this is the easiest for beginners to follow.

Truth be told as long as you hit that you can eat whatever the fuck you want with out much worry as long as you avoid going over the calorie line.

Make sure to eat vegetables for micronutrients.

Now for question 1. Calories in calories out is all that really matters. The only reason cutting carb/sugars/fats/ect works is because you are cutting out calorie dense foods and going into a deficit.

Question 2 Sounds like you are falling for a meme. Running and walking burn nearly the same amount of calories just running speeds the process up by exerting more energy in a shorter amount of time but running 1 mile vs walking 1 mile is very similar. Someone correct me if I am wrong here. If you are new to all this though jut walk.

Also don't do complicated or advanced diets like Keto until you are used to and comfortable with dieting.

And everyone in real life you talk to has no fucking clue what they are ever talking about and will always talk to you with outdated diet information from the 80's and 90's

>the question is would you rather drive or walk a mile

That analogy is terrible; driving a mile is both faster and more efficient than walking a mile.

If the calorie intake is the same; it will be just as fast to eat healthy food compared to fast food.

I will when I'm home. Why don't you go ahead and show anything for your position in the meanwhile?

Fruits are unhealthy, fucking retarded.

>Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Running burns roughly twice as much energy per unit of distance and you are about twice as fast, so it burns around 4 times as much energy per unit of time as walking.
Also he said rowing, not running

I am trying to convince him poorly that rowing is just a meme and he should run or walk.

Rowing is fun

This boot was made for walking right up your backside.

>Fruits are unhealthy, fucking retarded.
I didn't say they are unhealthy. I eat fruit, they are tasty and fine to eat in moderation, just like actual candy. It's just not something that should be the mainstay of your caloric intake. It's not something that that can be enjoyed "without upper limit". Do you think eating cane sugar is healthy? If not, why do you think eating sugar is healthy as soon as it comes with a bunch of water, vitamins and some fiber? It's not the sugar in fruits that is healthy, it's all the other stuff, you big dummy. Now if we could somehow magically get all the good stuff in fruits without the added sugar, that would be ideal. If only there were such a thing. If it would exist, I think I would name it vegetable.

Mono- and disaccharides are not unhealthy. Anybody who thinks glucose or fructose are unhealthy clearly has little to no understanding of human physiology.

Fruit just happens to be healthier than refined sugar because it contains additional health-promoting compounds. However, even refined sugar is not harmful to human health, nor does it have any beneficial effects beyond providing cheap and readily available energy.

You also seem to be unaware that fruits and vegetables have different compounds contained within them. They are totally different parts of plants. So no, you cannot get "all the good stuff in fruits" from vegetables.

Comparing cane sugar, like just the sugar inside to fruits is stupid too.
>added sugar
But it is NOT added sugar, it's intrinsic sugar. You are inherently demonizing sugar with is just wrong. Why do you think all sugar is bad? Because it stimulates insulin? That's its job. There is no connection between fruit consumption and weight gain or any other negative effects. It's virtually universally good for you. Fruits only would be weird and you would need to supplement a few things but other than that it would be fine. Saying vegetables are superior to fruits is plain wrong.

Meant for , stupid phone.

Anyway yeah fruits r gud and equating it to sweets is stupid. Variety is key, you need both fruits and vegetables.

A lot of bro-science out there

It's a simple concept. Reduce your calories below your total daily expenditure - by doing so you will reduce your weight.

Simple concept, easy to understand. Find the macro's that work best for you. You can lose weight on 300g+ carbs, you can lose weight on 0g carbs.

I find balancing the macro's works best. Get a good amount of protein (100g+) get a good amount of carbs (100g+) throw some fats in there, eat in a calorie deficit, enjoy the weight loss.

No need to make things more difficult then they are. If you plateau then drop the calories and up what you are expending through exercise.

It's really not that complicated.

>But it is NOT added sugar
It is though. Wild (natural) fruit are often bitter and sour. It was humans who artificially bred them to be sweeter, bigger, juicier and prettier.

Do you know what the daily recommended sugar intake is? Do you know much sugar 200 grams of sweet fruit have? Protip: It's about the same.

Oh please are you now seriously saying the sugar in fruit is basically added sugar?

You're delusional beyond belief. I'd say have fun with your metabolic syndrom but other than treating sugar/fruits like the devil you're doing fine. Still stupid though. Might want to avoid any plants though, everything has been bred and modified.

ADDED SUGAR you massive retard. The guidelines specifically say it doesn't apply to fruits. You can literally stuff your stupid face with mangos and it won't be detrimental. Gosh Veeky Forums why are you so retarded at times.

>Fruits the way we eat them nowadays are far from natural by the way. They've been bred for higher sugar content, none of our staple fruits are natural

Now show that this is a problem. The World Health Organization, in a review of evidence on sugar and health, state that there is no known upper limit for sugars naturally found in fruit

who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

>The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

>Do you think eating cane sugar is healthy? If not, why do you think eating sugar is healthy as soon as it comes with a bunch of water, vitamins and some fiber?

Sugar isn't unhealthy just because it's called sugar. The things that make refined sugars unhealthy don't apply to fruits. It's just energy. The same way refined grains are bad but a bowl of oatmeal is great even though both contain starch.

>Oh please are you now seriously saying the sugar in fruit is basically added sugar?
He is right to say that the sugar in fruit is identical to added sugar. It's glucose, fructose and sucrose. They are metabolized identically regardless of source. Where he's wrong is the notion that sugar is unhealthy, whether refined or naturally occurring. Sugar is not unhealthy in either case, though of course only fruits can be said to be health-promoting.

If you want to be a frutarian, go for it but those people look like walking death.

>ADDED SUGAR you massive retard. The guidelines specifically say it doesn't apply to fruits
This is true actually, quite surprisingly. It also says that not more than half of your daily calories should come from carbs though. I suspect they just don't expect people to be dumb enough to only eat fruits, so they factor in carbs from bread, pasta etc which then restricts allowed fruit intake naturally.

If you think you can live on sugar alone without fat and protein, go ahead. See how that turns out.

Basically, carb counting is a meme.
As long as you keep you calories in check you'll be fine

> but other than treating sugar/fruits like the devil you're doing fine
I wouldn't eat the devil desu, not even in moderation. I eat some fruit, just not a lot.

>It also says that not more than half of your daily calories should come from carbs though.
I've never heard of that. Care to tell me who wold suggest something this silly? Last time I checked even the US fat fuck guidelines specify up to 65% of carbs.

That's the thing though, it's utterly retarded to break everything down to such a level. Fruit = candy must be the stupidest thing I've read this week. And the source greatly matters (if not nutrition wouldn't be a thing), your body metabolises an apple vastly differently from clear apple juice.

>lol I found a fault therefore everything is wrong
And you called a fallacy earlier, how ironic. At this point you're just twisting my words because even you realised it's retarded to treat fruits as an exception. What are you, a vegetable priest who wants to eat like humans did 10k years ago?

Better stop the eggplants and carrots man, humans made them bigger prettier and tastier.

>If you want to be a frutarian, go for it

Nobody's talking about being a fruitarian, I'm just asking you to back up what you're saying about fruits essentially being candy. If candy raises your triglycerides, causes oxidative stress, increase markers of inflammation, but fruits do the opposite, how are they the same thing? The sugar isn't even an issue.

IOM - Institute of Medicine

Link?

A quick Google search led me to this PDF which specifies 45-65% calories from carbohydrates
nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRI-Tables/3_RDA AI AMDR Values_Total Water and Macronutr.pdf?la=en

>lol I found a fault therefore everything is wrong
What fault? What are you even talking about.

Why are you so emotional about the benefits of fruit and sugar? OP wants to lose weight, fruits have quite a lot of calories coming from sugar. You yourself admitted that sugar is basically empty calories, it is not a vital nutrient like protein or fat. If you restrict calories, it's better to cut the non essential sources. Besides there is enough sugar in vegetables to not make you feel like crap.

It also says 25% from added sugar and demonizes dietary saturated fat which is grossly outdated. (Not that saturated fat is healthy either, just no reason to reduce it to 0 if you're healthy).

For body composition changes calories account for about 50% of results. Deficit and surplus guarantee weight loss and weight gain. Macros account for 30%. You need high protein intakr to build and maintain muscle, you need some amount of fat and when bulking you need enough carbs to keep glycogen high and improve recovery. 10% is meal timing. This mainly comes down to eat frequently, try to keep carbs close to training time, don't eat for 2 hours before training, drink a sugary drink during hard workouts and eat a low fat high protein meal after training. 10% is specific food choice and supplements.

For moat people I would say that getting your calories right and keeping protein high is nore than enough. The rest is small details which might not be worth the hassle for you.

>fruits have quite a lot of calories coming from sugar
And they're also really caloric dilute, filling and nutritionally rich. Literally no reason to avoid fruits when dieting. You're being retarded.

>Why are you so emotional about the benefits of fruit and sugar?

What gave you that impression?

> OP wants to lose weight, fruits have quite a lot of calories coming from sugar.

Next to vegetables, fruits are the least energy dense foods.

> You yourself admitted that sugar is basically empty calories, it is not a vital nutrient like protein or fat

I didn't, but you don't eat fruit specifically for the sugar anyway. Protein and certain fats are vital, that doesn't mean all your calories need to come from them and you can't eat anything else.

Again, all I'm asking is for you to properly back up what you claimed. If you can't, then please don't claim this anymore.

Limits on added sugar intake aren't based on any science that says that it's unhealthy. The stated purpose of such limits is to ensure that people get enough healthful nutrients and real food, which is impossible if you just eat empty calories all day. It also promotes overeating calories because the satiety is low compared to real food.

In my estimation, refined sugar and refined fats should be put together and limited to 5-10% in sedentary individuals. But that's just my opinion.

It doesn't say to limit saturated fat to 0. The minimal fat intake is specified as 20%, which results in roughly 3-15% calories from saturated fat, depending on the source of fats.

>demonizes dietary saturated fat which is grossly outdated

hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/

>Nobody's talking about being a fruitarian
You said "no upper limit" and in another post claimed that one could live on
> Fruits only would be weird and you would need to supplement a few things but other than that it would be fine.
Are you gonna supplement fat and protein?

Anyway, I don't have any more time to waste on this shit and you clearly care much more than I do, so you can claim internet debate victory. I still think it's retarded and not beneficial for your health to stuff your face with sugary fruits, especially on a tight calorie budget

>fruits
>filling

That's just like your opinion, man.

Carbs os sugar can not make you fat. Fat makes you fat

I said no upper limit, which is true if you know what the phrase upper limit means. The other quote wasn't me.

>Anyway, I don't have any more time to waste on this shit

Okay, just in the future don't say things like "fruit is basically candy"

>What gave you that impression?
Your posts ITT.

>all I'm asking is for you to properly back up what you claimed
This whole shitshow started when you told OP he can

>eat fruits whenever you want

Which is retarded and absolutely wrong on a diet because a lot of popular fruits do have a lot calories, certainly not the negligible amount that something like cucumbers, celery stalks or lettuce has.

here are some good foods for weight loss with muscle maintenance / growth:

- oatmeal (also dirt cheap)
- whey protein
- chia seeds
- boneless chicken
- carrots
- lentils
- cottage cheese / curd / quark
- fish of pretty much any kind
- boiled / steamed potatoes (fries and chips are the worst, def avoid)
- loads of water.

like others said, deficit of 500 combined with lifting (free weights, compound exercises like squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press an barbell row) and you're on your way. good luck.

>which is true if you know what the phrase upper limit means
It means no upper limit, which means according to you, one could attempt to eat their own bodyweight in fruit per day and be fine.

>Okay, just in the future don't say things like "fruit is basically candy"
Why are you so emotional about fruit?

>Anyway, I don't have any more time to waste

>AND ANOTHER THING!

Yes you could try that and if you ate other things besides that it would be perfectly healthy.

Fruit is like candy with added vitamins, also, fuck you.

>except for the potatoes
not gonna make it

Now I'm a beginner, and I'm a landwhale. (280lbs) at 5'11" 280g of protein seems excessive, even with 80g from powder. Would you still recommend 1g per 1lb?

Calories.

Cutting out carbs is usually the easiest way to cut calories. Start by quitting soda and candy! Plus, there's the whole issue of sugar being addictive and making you hungrier in the long run.

generally the amount of calories should be per muscle mass, don't know the formula by heart, but yeah you can scale down a bit. but not too much, as protein is pretty much one of the best things you can eat for weight loss (very filling, it takes a lot of work of body to break it down, keeps muscle even if on big caloric deficit). fiber is even better, fills you up with no calories and improves metabolism.

what is insulin?

GOAT for metabolic conditioning. If you have access do rowing for 'cardio' (you don't actually want to do cardio if you're looking for weight loss. Just do 20 minutes and make it hurt. Pushing the prowler and doing weighted carries is also awesome for conditioning.