IF

Is IF effective for getting lean? And how is it compared to keto?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not doing both
They keep you sated which is all that matters

both are memes all that matters is CICO with high protein and balanced carbs/fats

Permanent fasting has given me excellent progress

How long of a fasting periode are we talking about here?

Forever

10/10. I recommend. My life has completely changed since I started IF. I'm 16/8, but I only eat three small meals in that feeding window. Usually around 1200 calories but the foods are rich in nutrients

Post workout(1:30pm): protein and carb filled.
5:30: cliff bar or something similar
8:30: fish/egg based meal.

Supplements are important when doing this because they will help offset the muscle loss.

I bulked for literally about three years, so I'm bigger than above average, so now that I'm cutting, I'll still be above average even with the loss of muscle from the fasting.

Oh and you can also try the one meal a day thing too. I do that on cheat days. I usually have chipotle or Moes southwest. I'm still getting pretty solid nutrients, but tex mex/southwest food is also my kryptonite

Muscle loss? On leangains etc. it is stated that you dont loose muscle because you only fast for 16 hours tops? Doing IF for 2 days now so i dont have any own experience

You lose as much muscle as you would by cutting regularly.
I didnt lose much at a 600 kcal deficit

Would that still be true if I ate as much calouries during the eating window as I would during the whole day without IF

Yea totally, if I just eat all my nutrients 10 minutes before bed Im sure its the exact fucking same thing

some people work well on if, others not so much. I tried for a week, didn't feel too god.

this is the kind of thing you'll have to try and see if you adapt well to it.

Good advice, will be taken into consideration, more opinions welcome

Yes, i am doing just that. The real benefit is hunger control, and a big meal before a workout gives you a nice energy-boost
Also, its way more satisfying than eating 4 small meals in a 16 hour window

what the fuck is IF
what the fuck is KETO
what the fuck

So you are saying that I would need to eat more during the 8 hour window than I would need to eat if i didnt do IF at all if I dont want to loose lean muscle mass? I started mostly for the health benefits, getting leaner is a nice bonus. I dont really feel like loosing fat would benefit me right now because I am still pretty dyel in terms of mass

OP here,
IF= Intermediate fasting (you usually have a 8 hour eating window every day, it intents to make you more lean without more muscle loss, if it really works is what i am trying to find out)
KETO=a diet were basically all your calories come from, protein and fat, same intent as with IF

He was being sarcastic to this guy

It's intermittent fasting

Compared to keto? The whole point of IF is being on keto without having to sacrifice carbs. You tell me, which do you think is superior, the one that gives you elevated ammounts of BDNF and adrenaline or the one that makes you crave carbs like you had some sort of carb deficiency?

you are right, my bad
If you could provide sauce I would be thankful because I thought that IF doesnt neccessarily need to be done in conjunction with Keto

the one that you said in a good way sounds better than the one you made sound bad. do i win?

I like to eat yuge meals, so its nice to be able to feel satisfied but still be at a deficit.

what I am asking is is it still effective even when not eating at a deficit?

oh okay, thanks

Who wouldn't want elevated levels of BDNF? It literally makes you smarter.
Or adrenaline? It's your own natural clenbuterol.
It doesn't. I mean, after 16 hours of fasting you end up in ketosis either way, so the next 8 hour window in which you're supposed to eat, it doesn't really matter if you're eating carbs or not, so you are still keto even without keto, you know? Making IF superior to Atkins, IMO, because you don't have to sacrifice your love for fruits/fiber intake/micronutrient intake.
Let me go for a mo(u)rning run and I'll find the sauce.

Thanks man, I'll wait

I guess if you have problems overeating otherwise, it would help stay at maintenance. You're not really going to get leaner in any useful time frame unless you're at a deficit, with IF or any diet. IF supposedly helps mitigate strength/muscle loss at a deficit, but if you're lifting and cutting slowly that shouldn't be much of a problem anyway. The main benefit is appetite control.

I've tried adding muscle on it but I had trouble eating enough in my window without resorting to shit food.

Okay I'm in about hour 11 or 12 into my first day. About to take some coffee and kratom.

Is there any difference between doing a whole day and 16 hours fast? My gym time is about 9 in the morning. I'm not sure if I should have my fast going too long after the gym. Should I be scheduling it so that the end of the fast is basically right after the gym and that starts the window to eat?

Good Advice, will also be taken into Consideration alongside

That is exactly what you should do. I posted

Eat something high in carbs/protein. You need to replenish glycogen levels right after the workout. I recommend something like granola, cliff bar, etc. I eat pic related. You can keep them in your car and eat them right after the workout.

Edit:It's not this exact brand. I literally just saved the first granola image on google.

I forget the exact brand I eat. It's in a blue bag and loaded with carbs and protein

Thanks.

Nature valley tastes GOAT though it's full of sugar and as such a lot of calories that aren't all that useful.

its very effective for leanness also because most people eat less while on it, and it gets you used to being hungry and not constantly shoving food into your fat bloated corpse face.

Iguanadons are the best dinosaur. Don't even try to debate me on this because every other answer is wrong.

Yeah. I'm doing it to get some discipline into me.

>mom is frying chicken tonight

PRAY FOR ME BROS

it is tho

Literally fits the criterion for keto and IF still

Why tf are you taking kratom?

Helps with social anxiety.

not if it's heavily breaded

Told her to bake me a few pieces. I'll just do a one hour eating window tonight to reset my timing to coincide with the gym.

So is one of the goals aside from being used to hunger to workout while under ketosis to burn fat?

how do you guys manage to lift heavy ass weights when fasting?

It sound like i will faint if i even try that

Fried chicken, though keto, is not healthy. It is smart to avoid it. If you're on IF, baking it is even a more sensible option because it doesn't change the macros of the tendies that much.

Sorry for the delay, housework got in the way.
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
There's a lot of paleo bullshit, but the research on fasting is solid.

The research on interval fasting is nearly non-existent and overall of poor quality. The research on meal frequency is there and suggests no major differences aside from correlations. It sells books though.

Also note that only out of shape sedentary clowns can eat enough calories in a single meal and fuel an actual workout. That's one of the reasons it appeals to the average person (who is an out of shape sedentary clown)

> I mean, after 16 hours of fasting you end up in ketosis either way,
An adult male athlete can store around 5000 calories of glycogen

Aw shit, I had this book as a kid.

Started doing IF a few months ago. I'm leaner than ever, I think. Also doing my best at the gym in terms of PRs, but this is probably because I started going with a friend and we push each other (he is a strong fatass so it made me lift heavier not to feel bad).

I've been mostly low carb for quite some years now, never had a problem with it.

I recommend you try them both and see if they work for you. If not, at least you tried something new which is always fun and motivating.

Then OP's lucky he's not an olympic athlete.

Jason Fung - The Obesity Code. Read it and you will become enlightened, see the light, make it, etc.

The theory is that long periods of no food help blood insulin levels to decrease. As insulin is what causes fat storage it makes sense that low insulin levels cause fat to be burned.