/plg/ - powerlifting general

what habben edition
powerliftinggeneral.com

Other urls found in this thread:

aljazeera.com/programmes/witness/2017/04/iron-grandpa-170420151330724.html
youtube.com/watch?v=E3qHO9aOQYM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If I don't want to compete and my main goal is to build well refined strength, should I value the big three above the other compound exercises like rows, ohp, dips, pullups and such?

How much application do conventional (or sumo even) deadlifts have in oly lifting? I know Clarence does them but I think he only really does them for fun/for his vids

Max aita has said not alot I believe

TRYING to cut to mid 80kg from 97kg is so damn hard when I wasn't even that fat.

Stuck at 91kg, gonna have to start eating 2000 calories a day.

If god truly exists why did he abandon me

aljazeera.com/programmes/witness/2017/04/iron-grandpa-170420151330724.html

Why are powerlifters so fat and ugly?

refeed and keep cutting

because it improves their wilks

wilks = bf% * ugliness(1-10scale) * total

I'm on the early part of advanced for my squats, so I need prioritization yet I easily make PRs after the cycles.
With this in mind is it better for me to do a 4 week cycle for a 10lbs PR or an 8 week cycle for a 20lbs PR?

are you mentally handicapped?

I'll take that into consideration, so if I am mentally handicapped I'll do Project Momentum.

if your mentally handicapped you do 13 sheiko cycles

blues hoes is getting jacked wtf Niagara?

if you did all seven of the exercises in your post, plus added a few variations (front squat, close grip bench, chest dips, chins), you'd have 11 compounds. Break them up into 3 full-body workouts a week and add maybe some isolation exercises and you'd have a setup that would be perfect for your goal. Do the big ones based on the big three for 3-5 sets of 3-8 reps (vary it in some cyclical manner once you've built a base on 3x5) and do the others for 3x8 or 2x10 or similar, and you're golden.

its all the meth. its how he stays so lean

You have one of the worst physiques ive ever seen

uh delete that?

thanks but I'm not blushes:)

We all just gona ignore the alien?

my current routine is basically:
A - squat, bench, row, dips, some random bis work, abs
B - squat/deadlift, OHP, pullups, lat raises, biceps, abs

everything in 3x5 for the time being, but once I gain some real strength, I'll start fiddling with exercises

enlarged organs from years of gh abuse

That's fine and everything you need for now. You can fiddle with the layout and reps later after building a base.

Just keep in mind the variations of stuff listed above, if you added board bench to them then that's an even dozen (and you can make "boards" yourself using any prop like a water bottle or foam roller stuffed in your shirt), and that dozen means you can have four big compounds each workout, 3 workouts a week, with 2 squat variants and 3 bench variants, 3 different upper-body pulls, etc.

As I said, you take a program layout like, vary the reps in a rotation or longer cycle for the big stuff and do the lighter stuff and the isolation for higher reps and you'll never get bored and you'll be all-around strong.

>tfw life is too unstable and stressful for the next month at least for me to think much about powerlifting or be a decent friend to my irl friends or my online friends

Feels cool. Except it doesn't and I want to die.

why whats happening in ur lyfe

Compete in 93kg. Problem solved.

weak little anonymous
siting in a tree
F
U
M
I
N
G
fuck my ass weak nerds haha

Great post, thanks, may I ask one more question? What kinds of weights would you consider a proper base?

No worries m8, will be better after, won't it?
What's happening?

Moving 3 hours back to my old city. Have a job lined up but it's shit so I'm looking for other jobs. The job I have lined up is actually in my field but it's shit money so I'm having to look for things outside of my field to actually support me and my wife. No place to live lined up and not sure what our income will be.

Could be worse but it's just been months and months of breaking even and stressing all the time just to possibly be going into that situation all over again. Just mentally fatigued by the whole thing, especially the fact that I have a graduate education n the field and can't even find anything to do with it to make any money.

is this how you see yourselves in 50 years, plg?

What field do you work in?

10/10

not gonna hold back cuz he's old, that squat was shit

yeah, it looked like he was the only one competing in that group

maybe the judges felt bad and let him pass
the DL was good tho

Graduate degree is in Physical Education

Whenever you can't maintain overall workout-to-workout progress doing 3x5 across. Give each lift a couple of chances with a reset by 5-10% and working back up by 5lbs at a session, the press and the bench will stall first, generally, but by the time your squat and deadlift are stalled on 3x5 (maybe 1x5 if you do that on your deads), it's time. You're no longer a beginner and have to shake things up at that point.

What weight that happens at depends on a bunch of things. Your height and weight, your age, your body proportions for different lifts, your genetic potential. There is NO hard and fast number but generally speaking a lot of average-height adult males will end their beginner phase around 0.5/1/2/2, higher if they're bigger dudes or have potential, lower if they're manlets.

At that point, look into a playing with the layout based on your goals, as I said your current routine is just fine for learning the lifts and building a base, and at that time, look into rotating some rep ranges for the big lifts. 3x3, 3x5, 3x8, 3x10, maybe ladders, maybe some weeks where you work up to singles, pick some simple things you like.

Once you've got them picked, you can do this a couple of ways. I like to alternate weeks so I pick 4 schemes and put them high rep/low rep/high rep/low rep as weeks. Some people prefer blocs so they might do a week or a couple of weeks at high reps then go to the next lower reps scheme etc to peak, then back again. There's a bunch of dudes on the SS forum who do a Bill Starr style HLM routine and alternate weeks 3x8, 3x5, 3x3, then back to 3x8. You can get really strong for your size this way and if you have some higher rep stuff can get big too. It's not gonna specialize you in powerlifting etc. but it'll fit your stated goal.

What would you expect to do with that?

Is it true that some people actually cannot squat to parallel/below parallel without lower back rounding?

I used to think it was some pathetic hip structure meme or something, I have long femurs and can front squat flawlessly and overhead squat decently, however I can't back squat for shit after spending months doing drills improving mobility etc etc

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Might just make front squat my main squat since I just lift for general strength anyway.

Goal was strength & conditioning coach but those jobs are goddamn scarce

I always felt those jobs were more of a who you know/get your foot in the door deal. Probablh need a few years of grinding and building up a client base. Good luck lad I'm sure it will work off, keep looking forward

Do you KNOW SOMEBODY in the field? If not, you ain't got a chance. Learn a trade instead and if you love coaching get some bs cert and do it parttime at the Y.

Yeah I know a few. The problem is being confined to looking for work within a small radius.
I'm certified as a CSCS and Personal Trainer. I didn't get a graduate education to train part time at the Y, I got it to work in a field I love as a salaried professional
Thanks senpai hope you're right

so I just finished sheiko yesterday should I redo the entire thing friday(which is my monday workout wise) or should I rest for a week

if I recall correctly the first prep cycle of sheiko is kinda a deload so it should be fine right?

It feels like nowadays it's all about the networking and advertising on social networks to get yourself going in that field

Just continue onto prep cycle 2 if you're not gonna test maxes

but I did test maxes yesterday

>50 pages of presenting data
>save, exit
>open to check
>image error everywhere
okay then

How big is the city?

I am too fat to do cleans on texas method, so I will do speed deadlifts instead, but how should I structure them?

One chap suggested 4x4 at 50%, any other ideas?

8x3 at 60% with 30 seconds of rest between sets.

Could try Sadiv sets, which is 12 minutes, 60%, max amount of speedy singles, no sloppy technique.

Alternatively something like user said.

just do your powercleans faggot

>speed deadlifts

Wouldn't that be a lot of volume though? I'm thinking compared to the cleans. I guess I will try something like you anons say, and see if I recover from it. If I don't I don't and will tune down next week.

I read article on it, sounds interesting, but sounds also a bit too hard since my day is not dedicated to deadlift, it is also 5rm squat pr day.

I need better cardio to do them. My deadlift also is very bad so I figured more practice on actually pulling a deadlift would be beneficial.

Well, lighter deadlifts for more repetitions and trying to maintain some level of explosivity, I guess.

Thanks for help everyone

It's 60% lmao

I would like to impregnate this semen demon

>I need better cardio to do them
>to do powercleans
jesus christ how sedentary are you

I've only ever done 15 reps of an exercise during a session ever.

I do 3 training sessions a week and buy groceries. It is hard getting work here so I don't have job yet.

Then light 8x3 with short rest will be good for you.

Do some cardio too, Jesus Christmas.

this shit is good
youtube.com/watch?v=E3qHO9aOQYM

I see no reason why they would be significantly harder than powercleans or any other speed pulling scheme tbH, but it's up to you to pick what you think you'll like most.

Alright, I will try 8x3 on friday then. And I will do cardio, just need to find something that won't fuck my knees. Jogging is so hard on my knees, I think maybe my flat feet make it weird.

Got a virus (malware) from that website, no one click it

Am I lacking anything with only front squats and pulls?

yeah you're lacking bench and back squat

It sucks

>was literally just about to post "Friendly reminder to build momentum"

90% of these "quotes" were never even said

No integer divided by 12 would give you .9 so you're WRONG

pectus carinatum

I gave partial points to some quotes that were said but not verbatim

>How much does training my ability to pull heavy shit off the floor improve my ability to pull heavy shit off the floor

Do you even read what you type before you post it?

Fun Fact: No one has ever cleaned as much as they deadlift.

Really, the only two things that you can improve greatly in Olympic weightlifter are your technique and your strength. Once the technique is at least decent, the only way to make much progress is to get stronger.

Do your fucking deadlifts, conventional style like all real lifters.

Haha okay raffy

why do i feel so loney if i dont have a close relationship with a girl?
I have many friends and have close family i just dont get it

It's because you aren't trying hard enough.

what do you mean

good joke Raf

FIGJAM isn't your lover, Sean.

haha okay raffy
do you have any proof he's not rafael?

Ok Raffy

Raf slipped up with this post, he was never too good as concealing his autism

He literally posted his face and tripcode in a photo taken together like 3 weeks ago.

you're too fat to clean lol
just do your fucking cleans and stfu you pussy

no he posted a picture of some guy and a piece of paper in the same photo, looked photoshopped.

Wow didnt RAFAEL and LIVIA do the SAME thing? HMMMM

you never learn

I mean you need to try harder in all things.

I'm pretending to be a girl in an online video game and people are giving me free stuff
Is this why raffy does it?

nerd

If I only ever high bar squat and decide to switch to low bar would I be able to lift the same weight the first time I low bar squat ?

>tfw bowl of pasta bolognese with a mountain of parmesan cheese for dinner

Who /eatbig/ here?

no. it's going to feel awkward as all hell and you're not going to trust yourself to keep the bar on your back. when I switched, I was doing ~425 as a highbar max and it took me about 3 weeks before I went over 315 lowbar just because I thought the bar was going to fall off my back and I had to learn how to balance and control the weight.

Noob here. I've got a question about the PTW program.

Background:
Started on AlphaDestiny's novice program doing regular compounds instead of trapbar diddles etc.

Did it for ~2 months good gainz

Want to compete in powerlifting but thought i'll need a lot of work to do before i can do a powerlifting program.

Changed my mind and started Izzy's PTW novice.

Question: Can i successfully tweak the program and repeat workouts until i up my reps to get a 2.5 kg jump instead of doing microloading?

U wut. I squat high bar in the beginning of all my trenning cycles. It only took a week to relearn my low bar get groove

learning it the first time != doing it again after some time off from it.

I exclusively SSB squatted for like 2-3 months over the summer and then lowbar squatted fine in like 2 workouts.

this turns me off from doing low bar
I dont want to start from square one again

You won't start from square one. All the muscle and strength will be there, it just takes maybe a month to adjust to doing low bar properly and confidently.

Starting with just the bar for some sets, and get heavier. It shouldn't take too long to settle in.

The bar move downward an eighth of an inch on that first sticking point. REDLIGHTS

haha okay raffy